1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. The moderators of this forum are the PS! Leaders (&) and Admins (~).
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - PS! Edition (please read before posting a thread)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by scene, Oct 26, 2014.

1. scene

scene reverie
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This is the place to ask questions that can be answered in a single post. Threads are meant for discussion, and questions like those don't provide that. Before you post here, check your post wouldn't be better suited to one of these threads:
    If you have one of those questions, great! Just scan over this list first:
    1. Make sure it's related to the Pokemon Showdown simulator. In-game questions go in Orange Islands, while battling questions are more suited to the relevant Competitive Discussion subforum.
    2. Google is a cool resource - try searching there first. It only takes a matter of seconds, and might resolve your issue quickly without resorting to this thread.
    3. If you're new to Smogon in general, the Mentorship forum is the perfect place to find your feet.
    4. There's some good stuff on the sim page on the PS site - including a general FAQ and staff FAQ.
    Answering a question? Some tips:
    1. Even if it's a really basic question, it'd be awesome if you could provide a very brief explanation to prevent the need for further questions.
    2. Please quote the question you're replying to, to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Modeling Clay

Modeling Clay

I have a question,
    Why do we have a new SQSA thread?
    :D
    Rose Petal likes this.
  3. Pikachuun

Pikachuun better be a good mon
    is a Pre-Contributor

If I were to take a guess, it's due to the length of the first one. 1500 replies is quite large for a thread.
    Rose Petal and Modeling Clay like this.
  4. Lunistrius

Lunistrius

I'm not sure about your first question, but I'd say that it's because of the popular demand. For your second question, as Pikachuun said, is likely because of how large the first post is and reiterating some rules for the future.
    PenQuin and SparksBlade like this.
  5. Paynes

Paynes

mainly because some people would answer questions on the old thread by saying "this has already been answered read previous pages" then the person would look and see about 1500 pages and its just not practical. So here's your new thread
    Avan and SparksBlade like this.
  6. Archen

Archen

Is there a place where I can see what all the special battle formats like tier shift are about?
  7. Trickster

Trickster
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

You can use the /om command on PS. For example, /om tier shift will pull up the Smogon page on Tier Shift.
    Archen likes this.
  8. Archen

Archen

Thank you for the information
  9. BlackO72

BlackO72

Ok let me ask this question in a diffrent way tan my original.
    Why did it say I lost this battle? This video contains the entire battle.
    Why didnt I get to use all the pokemon in my party?
    I would appreciate the feed back.
    Also, I think ill enjoy it on this site!

Link to the video -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-178181280
  10. Paynes

Paynes

Your opponent forfeited, the next turn was still played but it didn't make a difference you won the battle due to your opponent forfeiting so that's why you didn't get to use all your pokemon
  11. BlackO72

BlackO72

Wow I thought it said I lost... Im so dumb...
    Thank you!
  12. Anty

Anty the dirt in your fries
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    PU Co-Leader

13. SapphSabre777

SapphSabre777

Question: are PS! servers down, by any chance?
  14. Lunistrius

Lunistrius

They shouldn't be, but you can check this post or this site to see (make sure you check Sim.smogon.com instead of pokemonshowdown.com or play.pokemonshowdown.com). It might just be an issue on your end.
  15. Amaluna

Amaluna

The main server seems to be down. The other servers work just fine. I am pretty sure the main will be up soon again.
  16. Joim

Joim Pixels matter
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The main server is indeed down, we are aware of this issue, it will be fixed ASAP.
    Amaluna, SapphSabre777 and Darnell like this.
  17. Joim

Joim Pixels matter
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Update: server is up, enjoy.
    Darnell likes this.
  18. MidnightRoarX

MidnightRoarX

Why can't I comment on the Random Cup post? And how can I be able to?
  19. Darnell

Darnell Respected.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The thread was locked meaning you can't reply because the sign-ups were full :< sorry!
  20. MidnightRoarX

MidnightRoarX

Ok, thanks for help.
  21. WreckDra

WreckDra The Piano Has Been Drinking,
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Is there any reason why room mods are unable to perform alt checks? It would have been a useful feature in a couple of evading + impersonation situations I have seen all though these don't happen very often. Of course we can always ask a global mod to do this, but doing so repeatedly feels like we are taking advantage of a feature we were never supposed to have by bugging another person. I am mostly curious as to the decision for room mods to not be able perform alt checks and the reasoning behind it.
    Amaluna likes this.
  22. Uselesscrab

Uselesscrab
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

It might have something to do with /alts being a server-wide command, like /user, so room mods would be able to check alts of people in rooms where they had no auth.
    WreckDra likes this.
  23. Mystletainn

Mystletainn

How do users get custom avatars on Main? I know on other servers you can buy them with the server currency, but here, I still see some users with them and I don't have a clue how I can possibly get one. :(
    Mawwy likes this.
  24. Trickster

Trickster
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

In most cases, only global mods and higher are able to obtain them.
    Amaluna likes this.
  25. Mystletainn

Mystletainn

Aww, that's a bummer. Thanks though.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)