Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to victory road now, do I need any sort of HM's while I'm in there like strength/surf?
No, you don't "need" them, but as a previous poster stated, they are useful, and if you didn't know, you can find a certain Legendary Pokemon near the end of the cave with the help of Strength..

But, however, the ONLY HM you'll ever need throughout the game is Cut, and you only need to use it once.

Which of these is better for Salamence?

Adamant (Attk+ SA-): 12/30/15/30/17/30
Brave (Attk+ Spe-): 27/30/13/30/18/30

Are 15 extra HP IV's and one extra Special Defense IV worth the minus speed stat and the 2 defense IV's? Salamence will be carrying Fire Blast.
Sorry if this was answered, I didn't see it. Absolutely not Brave. Salamence is base 100 speed, and you really, really don't want to fall below that significantly like Brave would do to you. Losing to Haxorus at base 97 and Hydreigon at base 98 is fairly bad (along with the ridiculous list of pokemon at base 100). If anything, I would go after one with a +Speed nature.

Re: catching Tornadus / Voltlos

I've just got the 8th badge and I can now trigger the wandering legendary, but I want a good one. Are its nature and IVs "locked in" when you are invited into the old lady's home or earlier than that? Can I put off soft resetting for a good one until after the elite four or do I have to put the effort in NOW?

When a Pokémon with Arena Trap uses Pursuit against a pokemon with a balloon who is switching out, what happens? Does the balloon break, meaning the opponent can't switch out and wasted a turn?

Re: catching Tornadus / Voltlos

I've just got the 8th badge and I can now trigger the wandering legendary, but I want a good one. Are its nature and IVs "locked in" when you are invited into the old lady's home or earlier than that? Can I put off soft resetting for a good one until after the elite four or do I have to put the effort in NOW?
I'd save it for later The IV's are set as soon as you enter the house, iirc

so I CAN save it for later? I wasn't sure if I would "miss" the event that spawns the legendary by just going on to the e4, or if it might just spawn on its own (with potentially crap IVs)

Chieliee:

The Pokemon that had Air Balloon will still be switched out. Arena Trap prevents the player only from choosing a Pokemon to switch out as commands are chosen. It can't prevent a Pokemon that's already starting to switch out from doing so.

so I CAN save it for later? I wasn't sure if I would "miss" the event that spawns the legendary by just going on to the e4, or if it might just spawn on its own (with potentially crap IVs)
Yes. I beat the elite 4, and then went back and spawned the event, in both playthroughs. Saved before starting it, and was able to get different IVs/nature by resetting.

When a Pokémon with Arena Trap uses Pursuit against a pokemon with a balloon who is switching out, what happens? Does the balloon break, meaning the opponent can't switch out and wasted a turn?
This brings up a question of my own.

Does an Air Balloon really get rid of the effect of Arena Trap?

EDIT: I haven't read the Air Balloon thread (lately) or the Arena Trap thread (nobody ever discusses Abilties anymore, I like reading active threads), so I'm not sure if this has been answered in one of those two threads.

I have a question...how does Cokeldurr learn BOTH Drain Punch AND Mach Punch? I've seen Japanese players with them, but I can only see that Infernape provides Mach Punch and Mienshao can provide Drain Punch.

I have a question...how does Cokeldurr learn BOTH Drain Punch AND Mach Punch? I've seen Japanese players with them, but I can only see that Infernape provides Mach Punch and Mienshao can provide Drain Punch.
Hitmontop, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee (Not sure about Lee though) can learn Mach Punch as an egg move, then Drain Punch as a TM in Generation 4. Then simply transfer them, and there you go, a DrainPunch/MachPunch father for all of your Timburr breeding needs.

Hitmontop, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee (Not sure about Lee though) can learn Mach Punch as an egg move, then Drain Punch as a TM in Generation 4. Then simply transfer them, and there you go, a DrainPunch/MachPunch father for all of your Timburr breeding needs.
Thank you :D But now I need to plug back in my HeartGold and get a Tyrogue rom a Karate dude from....wait, I have an Infernape in my B/W and I can breed...okay, I see.

EDIT: Should I have a Hammer Arm on my Guts Conkeldurr WITH Mach Punch, or should I continue to breed for a Mack Punch AND Drain Punch Conkeldurr? I already have a bulky staller, so what should I do?

Should I have a Hammer Arm on my Guts Conkeldurr WITH Mach Punch, or should I continue to breed for a Mach Punch AND Drain Punch Conkeldurr? I already have a bulky staller, so what should I do?

(On a side note, I honestly don't feel like getting another Timburr after hatching ~200 tiring eggs.)

Should I have a Hammer Arm on my Guts Conkeldurr WITH Mach Punch, or should I continue to breed for a Mack Punch AND Drain Punch Conkeldurr? I already have a bulky staller, so what should I do?

(On a side note, I honestly don't feel like getting another Timburr after hatching ~200 tiring eggs.)
I'd suggest trading for one if you don't wanna breed your own, but I really would get Drain Punch. It gives necessary healing (while OHKO'ing alot of things after a Bulk Up or two, or at least dealing a ton of damage) that the set needs, especially since you would probably be running Flame Orb and not Leftovers.

I'd suggest trading for one if you don't wanna breed your own, but I really would get Drain Punch. It gives necessary healing (while OHKO'ing alot of things after a Bulk Up or two, or at least dealing a ton of damage) that the set needs, especially since you would probably be running Flame Orb and not Leftovers.
Okay, I guess I'll once again breed for one. Hammer Arm was a good choce at first, since it could deal damage and Mach Punch could make up for the Speed loss.

So here's the plan: Breed Male Hitmonchan with FEMALE Infernape (I have a male one, gosh...) with a Power item to pass down IVs, preferably HP or Attack, and get a male Infernape with those moves and HP/Atk IV, then breed with female...oh golly, this is going to be a long road.

Okay, I guess I'll once again breed for one. Hammer Arm was a good choce at first, since it could deal damage and Mach Punch could make up for the Speed loss.

So here's the plan: Breed Male Hitmonchan with FEMALE Infernape (I have a male one, gosh...) with a Power item to pass down IVs, preferably HP or Attack, and get a male Infernape with those moves and HP/Atk IV, then breed with female...oh golly, this is going to be a long road.
I meant, breed a Hitmontop/Hitmonchan (with DrainPunch/MachPunch) with a Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr and you'll get Timburr eggs with Drain Punch and Mach Punch

Yes, but I mentioned Infernape because he's the one with near-perfect IVs, so I wanted to pass them down to Timburr, and...now I need to quit EV-training my Gurdurr now...and I also need to get a Tyrogue in Gen 4. Does Hitmonchan also pass down Drain Punch to another Tyrogue through eggs?

Tyrogue can never learn Drain Punch, in either 4th or 5th Gen.

I think the only way to make any use of Infernape is to breed it with anything to get a male Chimchar with good IVs, then breed that with a female *urr to get a females Timburr with good IVs, then breed THAT with your Mach Punch + Drain Punch Hitmonchan to get your final Mach Punch + Drain Punch Timburr. It's probably not worth it.

Hey, my current team is
Lead Roserade: Hidden Power Ground/Leaf Storm/Sleep Powder/Toxic Spikes, Hazard Ferrothorn: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Spikes, Leech Seed (considering Stealth Rock over something)
Phazer Milotic: Scald, Ice Beam, Dragon Tail, Recover
Spinblocker Jellicent: Surf, Will-O-Wisp, Shadow Ball, Recover
Spinblocker Choice Scarfer: Chandelure: Fire Blast, Hidden Power Fighting, Shadow Ball, Overheat
Wallbreaker Hydreigon: Taunt/U-Turn/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast

The type synergy is perfect--I have two sweepers, two spinblockers, two bulky waters, two entry hazards, and a solid (if not changeable) FWG core. However, I need help against certain threats like Conkeldurr, Reuniclus, etc. Would it be possible to make the team better without changing any of its members? Otherwise, I'd be open to switching anybody out EXCEPT Milotic. Thanks!

Would someone be willing to teach me how to RNG in Pokemon Black? I've never RNG'ed in any previous versions, and I'm very envious of all these trade threads with shiny pokemon and nice IV spreads ):

Is there any place I'm likely to find Build Advice/RMT/Strategies for putting together a Drizzle+Swift Swim team? My brother and I are going to face off with Drizzle vs. Drought just for fun, and I'm looking for info in building such a team, even though I know the combo is banned in regular competitive play.

Is there any place I'm likely to find Build Advice/RMT/Strategies for putting together a Drizzle+Swift Swim team? My brother and I are going to face off with Drizzle vs. Drought just for fun, and I'm looking for info in building such a team, even though I know the combo is banned in regular competitive play.
You can try the (Ability) Swift Swim and (Ability) Drizzle threads, as if they're anything like I think they are, then there will be posters contributing sets to use under those conditions. However, both of those threads have been dead for a while now I believe, so if you bump either one with a contributing, useful post, then people might discuss them now (Even though it's unlikely since the combo is banned now, and those two abilities are less useful by themselves). For Pokemon to use under Rain, a few that I know will do well are Thundurus, Kingdra, Ludicolo, Kabutops, Omastar, Starmie, Lapras, Poliwrath, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)