Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new sleep mechanics, could one use a move like Dragon Tail or Roar to keep an opponent's Pokemon asleep in perpetuity? If playing in a metagame without a Sleep Clause, could you use such a strategy to inflict sleep on all opposing pokemon and keep any of them from waking?

With the new sleep mechanics, could one use a move like Dragon Tail or Roar to keep an opponent's Pokemon asleep in perpetuity? If playing in a metagame without a Sleep Clause, could you use such a strategy to inflict sleep on all opposing pokemon and keep any of them from waking?
Possibly, since I believe if a sleeping Pokemon is switched out, its sleep counter resets to two turns or some thing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would a set like this work?
Vanilluxe @ Ice Gem
Mild
252 SpA/68 Atk/188 Spd
Ice Shard
Ice Beam
Sheer Cold
Mirror Coat/Flash Cannon

I don't breed for HP, and maybe Mirror Coat could work given Vanilluxe's mediocre Special Defense stat. Ice Shard + Ice Gem could OHKO Salamence or anything with a 4x weakness to Ice-type moves. Flash Cannon for opposing Ice-types.

Nope, I meant Magic Coat. Also, someone informed me that Snatch isn't affected by Dark Void.
That still doesn't answer my question, if its a double battle, will Magic Coat protect my partner from Dark Void too since Dark Void hits both my Pokemon?

How do you get Chansey/Blissey with Wish in the games? I've looked around Bulbapedia and Serebii and found nothing on it.
You don't. A special Chansey with Wish was was given away at the New York Pokemon Center in 2004, meaning you would have to find somebody who already owns one, and trade them for it.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
That still doesn't answer my question, if its a double battle, will Magic Coat protect my partner from Dark Void too since Dark Void hits both my Pokemon?
In PBR, it didn't. No idea if this has been tested in Gen. V, though.

In PBR, it didn't. No idea if this has been tested in Gen. V, though.
Yes, it did. I used a Magic Coat Deoxys-S very often, I know what I'm talking about.

And Air, I already answered that, I said that it steals the Dark Void (meaning that they're not the user of it anymore) and uses it on their Pokés.

Yes, it did. I used a Magic Coat Deoxys-S very often, I know what I'm talking about.

And Air, I already answered that, I said that it steals the Dark Void (meaning that they're not the user of it anymore) and uses it on their Pokés.
Are you sure? It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't...

It doesn't. You're confusing Magic Coat's affect with Snatch. Snatch actually steals the opponent's move before it can use it, while Magic Coat allows your opponent to use their move, but then bounces it back at your opponent. So, in PBR, if Dark Void is used in doubles against a Magic Coat user, the Magic Coat user's partner, and the user of Dark Void are put to sleep. I've tested this myself.

What is the accuracy of a Compoundeyes Thunder in the Sun?
I believe it's (nevermind). I'm not too sure though.

Also, I could've swore that my partner never got put to sleep, did they fix it? This was like in late 2009, but I remember my partner being able to attack on that turn.

Ok, I read the FAQ and was wondering if someone could direct me where to give a pokemon EV spread and moveset, and then ask the Smogon community if it was viable? I'm sincerely sorry if this is the wrong place to write this. Thank you in advance

Ok, I read the FAQ and was wondering if someone could direct me where to give a pokemon EV spread and moveset, and then ask the Smogon community if it was viable? I'm sincerely sorry if this is the wrong place to write this. Thank you in advance
You could just ask right here since this is the competitive variant of the Simple Questions thread.

Edit: @ Dual Screener Q - Bronzong is a very good option since he can do very well defensively while playing a more defensive role. He's also a great check to Gliscor, Excadrill, etc.

Edit 2:Is there another filler that could replace Return / Frustration for Mebujika?

Technically you can't. Since sleep is now 1-3 turns, it would work for a while but, eventually, they're going to wake up on T1 and you'll phaze out a Pokemon that's awake.
If you're running something stupidly fast that's putting them to sleep and phazing, however, you can always sleep them again when they switch back in, yes.

What would be the best Hidden Power for a timid Ninetales? So far people have told me rock, ground, fighting and ice, but I don't know enough about competative pokemon to make a descision.

What would be the best Hidden Power for a timid Ninetales? So far people have told me rock, ground, fighting and ice, but I don't know enough about competative pokemon to make a descision.
The Gen V analyses that will be upload on-site sugested HP fighting in every set. For someone that is still a little inexperience you might want to stick with that. (I personally think it depends from the team as a whole)
For reference: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83000

I would say Hidden Power Fighting. While also hitting T-Tar, you have Heatran, Magnezone, Sazandora, etc.

Technically you can't. Since sleep is now 1-3 turns, it would work for a while but, eventually, they're going to wake up on T1 and you'll phaze out a Pokemon that's awake.
If you're running something stupidly fast that's putting them to sleep and phazing, however, you can always sleep them again when they switch back in, yes.
After having used a Lilligant extensively in-game and a Breloom extensively on PO, I strongly suspect that the belief that Sleep changed that way was only based on a poorly worded post (which meant to say that the victim will stay sleeping for 1-3 turns, i.e. wake up on turns 2-4). I've never, ever had a Pokemon wake up immediately after being put to sleep.

So long as you put the Pokemon to sleep after it takes its turn (or as it switches in), I do believe that you could theoretically juggle them until Dragon Tail/Circle Throw missed.

The biggest weaknesses to such a strategy is that nothing learns both Dragon Tail and Spore, and indeed the only Yawn users that learn it (as far as I can tell) are Blastoise and Slowking. Also, Dragon Tail only has a 90% hit rate, so unless you are using Zoom Lens (which I'm not even sure works when your opponent loses a turn to sleep), you're going to miss eventually. And there are more than a couple ways to work around sleep out there, not least of which is Sleep Talk (which I would imagine is fairly popular in Sleep Clause-less metagames).

After having used a Lilligant extensively in-game and a Breloom extensively on PO, I strongly suspect that the belief that Sleep changed that way was only based on a poorly worded post (which meant to say that the victim will stay sleeping for 1-3 turns, i.e. wake up on turns 2-4). I've never, ever had a Pokemon wake up immediately after being put to sleep.

So long as you put the Pokemon to sleep after it takes its turn (or as it switches in), I do believe that you could theoretically juggle them until Dragon Tail/Circle Throw missed.
I think you didn't understand exactly what yoshiken said, when we talk about turn one is something like:

1-breloom used spore, random stuff fall sleep (in this turn it will never wake up, is what we call guaranted turn of sleep).

2-*This is what we refer to turn 1* breloom did random stuff, the foe wake up.

That is what we call one-turn-wake up.

The biggest weaknesses to such a strategy is that nothing learns both Dragon Tail and Spore, and indeed the only Yawn users that learn it (as far as I can tell) are Blastoise and Slowking. Also, Dragon Tail only has a 90% hit rate, so unless you are using Zoom Lens (which I'm not even sure works when your opponent loses a turn to sleep), you're going to miss eventually. And there are more than a couple ways to work around sleep out there, not least of which is Sleep Talk (which I would imagine is fairly popular in Sleep Clause-less metagames).
Smeargle.

And the biggest weakness is actually that every shuffle move have a negative priority so with a turn-one wake the shuffler would:
1-die.
2-send out something that is wake up, ruining what the original asker wanted.

As a side note apparently there is some crazy shenanigans to overcome this: is by using assisted dragon tail (which loses the negative priority) and a sleep inducing move. I don't remember where i saw that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)