Awaken Benihime! (OU Gen4)

Since Gen 4 is about to end soon I thought I would post a team I recently created. Awaken Benihime

The aim of this team is to set up hazards asap while keeping the offensive momentum going. Team peaked no 3 on PO's main server with the alt "arcade stick".

Azelf@Focus sash- Rukia Kuchiki
Nature:Naive
Ability:Levitate
252SAtk/4HP/252Spd
-U turn/taunt
-Explosion
-Stealth rock
-psychic

Azelf is my favourite lead in gen 4 and for good reason. Most the time he sets up stealth rock and will at least damage the opposing lead if not take it out. I like to experiment with the set/item pretty often. I realise not having taunt is a bit risky but I will take that risk since U turn is great to have mid game if Azelf is alive or to hit opposing Azelf leads. Taunt would obviously help against slower leads like Roserade but these days leads like that go straight for the attack.

Sucuine @ Leftovers- Byakuya Kuchiki

Nature:Timid
Ability: Pressure
252 SAtk / HP HP / 252 Spd

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- hidden power (electric)
- Calm mind

I had Swampert in this slot at first to set up stealth rock but AB2 suggested this guy. This yields a major purpose in helping Infernape clean out teams late game with spikes support. Suicune finds it is easily able to take on pokemon such as Dragonite and even Scarfed Rotom, [even though I have Tyranitar] which can stop Infernape in its tracks. Also, Suicune loves spikes support on its own, so that means I have another pokemon that is able to take advantage of the entry hazards that I lay down.

Tyranitar@Choice scarf-Kisuke Urahara
Nature:Jolly
Ablility: Sand stream
252Atk/252Spd/4HP
-Stone edge
-Eathquake
-Crunch
-Pursuit

I initially ran a bulky DD Tyranitar but changed to the scarf variant as Starmie was a big problem. Scarf instead of DD so I have a more reliable check to Starmie/Gengar and it has been working very well indeed. Earthquake over superpower because I needed something which could hit Jirachi harder. Scarfed Tyranitar essentially solves my weakness to Life Orb Starmie . Secondly, as Scarfed Tyranitar removes pokemon such as Gengar and Starmie with ease, most teams will become very vulnerable to an Infernape sweep. Since Infernape has the potential to also take care of Gliscor/Zapdos during mid game, they make a great combo.

Skarmory@leftovers- Gin Ichimaru
Nature-Careful
Ability- Keen eye
252HP/240SDef/16Spd
Brave bird
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost

Sup Flygon? I seen few people using Pert+Skarm combo very well so thought I would give it a go and it works real nice. I'm open to any ev changes or moves since Brave bird don't do much anyway. Again, this guy invites Gyarados who is a problem to say the least however what this team really struggles with is Starmie. Skarmory is here to set up spikes and phase/scout. As you can see Swampert is no longer on this team so I was thinking of maybe going impish although this has not let me down thus far.

Rotom W@Life orb- Ichigo Kuroaski

Nature:Timid
Ablity- Levitate
252SAtk/252spd/4HP
Thunderbolt
Pain split
Substitute
Hydro pump

I will be honest, I don't like using Rotom in general.....However I don't want my hazards to be blown away and Gengar is just to frail. Futhermore it's pretty easy to fake a scarf with this thing resulting in a free sub. Sub/pain spit to abuse spikes better and it works wonders as I find it very to easy to pull of a sub. With LO this thing hits like a truck and destroys Heatran and some versions of Tyranitar/Metagross after hazard damage. Blocks rapid obviously.

Infernape@Life Orb-Kenpachi Zaraki

Nature naive
Ablity-Blaze
252Atk/64 SAtk/192
U turn
Overheat
Mach punch
Close combat

A few people suggested I try this over my old set and it works much better on this team. Infernape lures in Starmie with U-turn and 2HKO Vaporeon with Close Combat, but it will also be able to easily KO Gliscor with a Close Combat followed up with an Overheat. He is also a decent check to Lucario late game.I would say he is the VIP of the team and I need to be very careful with him.

This team has been working real well at the moment however I can tell Jirachi/Raikou/Jolteon have the potential to really screw with my team :p

So that's it folks, suprised I posted this as I am usually pretty lazy. So rate, critique etc, thanks for reading!

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, Kisuke. Before I get to my rate, I just want to point out that Rotom-W has Thunderbolt listed twice in its moveset (probably a formatting error). Anyways, this team seems to be quite decent, but I do think a couple of changes in the Pokemon would be beneficial. First of all, I question the use of a Choice Band Azelf on this team, as it doesn't look like it helps with the team's synergy or its overall strategy. I think replacing it with the Colbur Berry set would be best on this team as it not only does it give your team some momentum to build on, it also is capable of setting up Stealth Rock, making Swampert of minimal use, allowing it to be replaced. I suggest replacing Swampert with a choice scarf Flygon, as it gives your team a much needed revenge killer, but it also gives you another Pokemon to abuse the entry hazards your team relies on, as Flygon will undoubtedly be causing its fair share of switches.

Next, I suggest you replace Ice Punch on Tyranitar with either Earthquake or Aqua Tail as Pokemon like Gliscor and Dragonite can generally be taken care of by Skarmory and Rotom-W. Speaking of Rotom-W, a set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe, and a moveset of Discharge / Hydro Pump / Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Ball would work better, as by the looks of things, you rely heavily on Rotom-W to take down physical attackers like Scizor as well as the aforementioned Gliscor and Dragonite. Lastly I recommend that you replace your current Infernape's moveset with Fire Blast / Close Combat / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice, as this suits your EV spread a lot better, and Pokemon like mixed Dragonite seem to be much larger problems for this team when compared to Gyarados (which is taken care of by both Skarmory and Rotom). I hope this has helped, and good luck.

• Cobur Berry Azelf over CB Azelf
  • Choice Scarf Flygon over Swampert
  • Earthquake/Aqua Tail over Ice Punch on Tyranitar
  • 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe, Discharge / Hydro Pump / Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Ball on Rotom-W
  • Fire Blast / Close Combat / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice, on Infernape

Hi, Kisuke. Before I get to my rate, I just want to point out that Rotom-W has Thunderbolt listed twice in its moveset (probably a formatting error). Anyways, this team seems to be quite decent, but I do think a couple of changes in the Pokemon would be beneficial. First of all, I question the use of a Choice Band Azelf on this team, as it doesn't look like it helps with the team's synergy or its overall strategy. I think replacing it with the Colbur Berry set would be best on this team as it not only does it give your team some momentum to build on, it also is capable of setting up Stealth Rock, making Swampert of minimal use, allowing it to be replaced. I suggest replacing Swampert with a choice scarf Flygon, as it gives your team a much needed revenge killer, but it also gives you another Pokemon to abuse the entry hazards your team relies on, as Flygon will undoubtedly be causing its fair share of switches.

Next, I suggest you replace Ice Punch on Tyranitar with either Earthquake or Aqua Tail as Pokemon like Gliscor and Dragonite can generally be taken care of by Skarmory and Rotom-W. Speaking of Rotom-W, a set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe, and a moveset of Discharge / Hydro Pump / Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Ball would work better, as by the looks of things, you rely heavily on Rotom-W to take down physical attackers like Scizor as well as the aforementioned Gliscor and Dragonite. Lastly I recommend that you replace your current Infernape's moveset with Fire Blast / Close Combat / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice, as this suits your EV spread a lot better, and Pokemon like mixed Dragonite seem to be much larger problems for this team when compared to Gyarados (which is taken care of by both Skarmory and Rotom). I hope this has helped, and good luck.

• Cobur Berry Azelf over CB Azelf
  • Choice Scarf Flygon over Swampert
  • Earthquake/Aqua Tail over Ice Punch on Tyranitar
  • 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe, Discharge / Hydro Pump / Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Ball on Rotom-W
  • Fire Blast / Close Combat / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice, on Infernape
Thanks for pointing that out on Rotom. I will give these changes a go and thanks for rating. Edit, by mistake I put leftovers on my Rotom however I have edited it to Choice scarf, dunno if this will mean anything to your rate. Oh yeah, Ape set does need changing. I'm also considering LO on Rotom.

Hello, this team looks fairly effective, and I have been beaten to the rating party yet again by Aerrow (who's Scarf Flygon, Aqua Tail Ttar and bulky Rotom-W suggestions I second), lol. Anyways, I see a couple problems that could be fixed.

At a glance, Life Orb Starmie rips through your team, scoring a 2HKO on every Pokemon you have. You're forced to sacrifice something just to force it out with Flygon. To fix this, I would move Skarmory to the lead position, and drop Azelf for a Stealth Rocking Blissey, who does not fear Starmie one bit. If it is Life Orbed with Rapid Spin, then you can stall it out easily. If it is a bulky Spin Starmie, then Rotom-W deals with it thanks to the significant drop in power the two sets have. Anyways, the Blissey set I'm recommending is:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Toxic

With Blissey's immense bulk, you can come in on nearly any special attacker and get a free turn to set up Stealth Rock.

Now, I mentioned Skarm going to the lead slot, and there is a very good set he has for that which allows him to set up on bulky leads as well as status-inflicting leads. The set is:

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Spe / 120 SDef
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

With Lum Berry, Skarm can take a Sleep Powder from the likes of Roserade and Smeargle and retaliate with Taunt, proceeding to set up Spikes from the get-go, which this team really wants. The EVs allow him to outrun other lead Skarmory like this by one point (I'm pretty sure), as well as outrun AgiliGross so you can Taunt it.

Now, by utilizing Blissey, you really open yourself up to Mixed Dragonite. As effective as Infernape looks at killing it with HP Ice, it is not the greatest of checks, as not only does ExtremeSpeed do alot of damage, but you're forced to sac something every time it comes in. I really did not want to replace Ape when glancing at the team but I think ResTalk Gyarados does the job better here. Checks Dnite, counters SD Lucario (which you opened yourself up to by dropping Scarf Rotom), counters most Infernape, provides a great switchin to Breloom, makes a great defensive core with SkarmBliss, and abuses the entry hazards quite well. The set is:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SDef
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The EVs provide good bulk on both ends of the spectrum, and never let Infernape KO you with a +2 Grass Knot after Stealth Rock. The only Ape this doesn't counter is Swords Dance with Stone Edge/ThunderPunch, but as soon as you see the SD you can switch right out to Flygon, either resisting the SE or completely blocking the TPunch, and then destroying the Ape with an EQ (+2 Mach Punch doesn't kill, I believe it maxes out at 69%).

So should you choose to implement me and Aerrow's changes, the final team should look like: Skarm / Bliss / Rotom-W / Gyara / Flygon / Tyranitar.
Good team and good luck!

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi this team seems really cool and the presentation is quite nice I must add. First of all, I really don't think that Gliscor troubles you as much as you believe it does. Apart from Swampert doing quite well against it, your other teammates such as Rotom also do a great job against it as well. I would like to make a quick recommendation of switching your Infernape set to a Physically Based Mixed Infernape.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive 252 Atk | 64 SpA | 192 Spe Blaze
Close Combat | U-turn | Mach Punch | Overheat

Not only will Infernape lure in Starmie with U-turn and 2HKO Vaporeon with Close Combat, but it will also be able to easily KO Gliscor with a Close Combat followed up with an Overheat. With this, I would like to make a suggestion of shifting your Tyranitar into a scarfed variant. I am making this recommendation for several reasons. First of all, Scarfed Tyranitar will essentially solve your aforementioned weakness to Life Orb Starmie and the like. Secondly, as Scarfed Tyranitar removes pokemon such as Gengar and Starmie with ease, most teams will become very vulnerable to an Infernape sweep. Since Infernape completely destroys Gliscor, you will be able to removes counters for Tyranitar as well, making quite an excellent offensive combination. Next, I would recommend shifting your Swampert for an Offensive Suicune. Once again, this yields a major purpose in helping Infernape clean out teams late game with spikes support. I am recommending Suicune as it is easily able to take on pokemon such as Dragonite and even Scarfed Rotom, [even though you have Tyranitar] which can stop Infernape in its tracks. Also, Suicune loves spikes support on its own, so that means you have another pokemon that is able to take advantage of the entry hazards that you lay down. Another option if you want is to run Wish Vaporeon over Swampert. This will allow you some good insurance versus Infernape and pokemon such as Dragonite as well; however it won't provide you with a spikes abuser like Suicune would.

With these changes, you will notice that your stealth rock user is lost, this means that you will either have to get a new lead or change the variant of the lead that you currently possess. I strongly recommend that you swap your Azelf for a Trick Scarf Uxie in the lead spot. Trick Scarf Uxie not only makes a great match up against a lot of leads in the metagame, but it can lay up stealth rocks and has the option of spreading paralysis as well.

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
Impish 252 HP | 104 Def | 152 Spe Levitate
Trick | Stealth Rocks | U-turn | Psychic

Now that you have pokemon to deal with Gyarados | Rotom | Gengar | Starmie etc. I would like to give you one last option that I think would be nice to try out. In my opinion, a Life Orb Rotom would work well over your current one. This option is once again for several different reasons. First of all, Life Orb Rotom allows you to abuse spikes amazingly, getting KOs on pokemon such as Metagross very very easily. Also, Rotom checks Adamant Luke with ease [Infernape and Tyranitar check Jolly variants], which means that your team will be no slouch in late game either. Since you have a lot of insurance with the suggestions I have given you, it is just something that I would recommend testing out.

Rotom-W @ Life Orb
Timid 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe Levitate
Substitute | Thunderbolt | Hydro Pump | Pain Split

---

Alright that is all I have to say for now, I hope you take my suggestions into consideration and I wish you good luck with the changes you make in this team!

Try 144 Atk / 112 SDef / 252 Spd on Azelf so you can survive LO Starmie's Hydro Pump. You don't miss out on any important OHKO's, so this should help against any Starmie leads.

Use Earthquake > Crunch on Tyranitar if you want to improve your type coverage. Ice Punch is relatively unexpected and useful for taking out Flygon and Gliscor, so it's worth keeping. A Shuca Berry can also be used to survive Flygon's Earthquake, making things difficult for opponents who depend on Scarf Flygon to check DD Tyranitar.

Physically-based Infernape is a good suggestion. You already have Gyarados quite well-covered, so going physical would help to gain some extra power on Close Combat, such as the notable 2HKO on Vaporeon. Mach Punch is also really useful as a priority move for finishing off frail sweepers and providing an additional way to check Lucario.

Thanks to everyone who rated! I tried all the changes and it certainly made the team better. However AB2's changes was what suited my play style and has been working very well. Team has been updated. Jirachi is bit of a problem but with a bit of predicting it's not to hard to handle.

Try stone edge over u-turn on ape. He's frail enough and cant afford to take sr damage+lo damage+more sr damage just to lure in starmie. Stone edge lets you hit gyrados and dragonite hard, and without it they will counter you all day. You can always just go to suicune on a hydro pump and scarfar on a tbolt when facing a starmie.

Jolteon is extremely dangerous to this team. The specs set 2hko's all your members i believe with just thunderbolt. It outspeeds ttar as well. Not sure how to fix that without removing scarftar and he seems to be an important member of the team.

Keep U-turn on Ape because with life orb itll do a huge chunk to all that dont resist it/not walls and scouts well and sets up sweeps. I missed Stone Edge means ape dies, thats it

Wouldn't Scarftom check Gyrados, Lucario and Starmie all better? Especially since Lucario carry Crunch
It would, I originally had scarf but this set abuses spikes way better. Futhermore it's pretty easy to fake a scarf :p

@Boondocker, you're right about that. I'm glad he aint that common but when I did encounter him once he did pose a problem but I was able to deal with it.

Team looks really good, I see the oldschool Skarm/Bliss combo causing problems and stall in general is not easy.

To remedy this I suggest using 64 hp ev's on Rotom-W taken out of special attack. This means a 40 special attack Blissey flamethrower will never break rotom's sub and therefore he can stall a Blissey with pain split indefinitely with no toxic/t-wave sub predicting required.

So the new ev spread would be:
64hp / 192sp.atk / 252 speed

The loss in special attack would not be noticed, while the gain in hp helps vs Blissey and Starmie etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)