Pokémon Azumarill (Revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Aragorn the King ages ago, sry for taking so long.

Name: Azumarill (#184) Type: Water/Fairy
Base Stats: 100/50/80/60/80/50
Notable Moves: (STABs in Bold)
Play Rough
Waterfall
Aqua Jet

Knock Off
Superpower
Belly Drum

Abilities:

Thick Fat: If a Pokemon uses a Fire- or Ice-type attack against this Pokemon, that Pokemon's attacking stat is halved when calculating the damage to this Pokemon.

Huge Power: This Pokemon's Attack is doubled.

Sap Sipper: This Pokemon is immune to Grass-type moves and raises its Attack by 1 stage when hit by a Grass-type move.

Potential Movesets

Belly Drum

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

This move set is rather simple. You basically set-up a Belly Drum and try to sweep you opponent. Sitrus Berry restores 25% of your health when you get to half of your HP. Adamant 252 attack with Huge Power in order to maximize Azumarill's damage output after a Belly Drum. 164 Speed allows Azumarill to outspeed univested Base 70's such as Skarmory, 92 HP is put into bulk so Azumarill can take hit better. Aqua Jet for Priority STAB so your sweep isn't stopped by fast revenge killers who lack priority. Play Rough for a hard hitting stab and coverage. Knock off for coverage and for killing things such as Amoonguss. Best used as a lategame sweeper.

Assault Vest

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off/ Superpower

Assault Vest allows Azumarill to become arguably one of the best special pivots in the game. This set can switch into the attacks of many special attackers such as Mega Gardevior. Adamant 252 attack evs with Huge Power in order to maximize Azumarill's damage output. 16 Spd evs allow it to reach 300 after the Assault Vest boost. 240 HP increases Azumarill's bulk to even higher levels. Waterfall and Play Rough for STAB. Aqua Jet for a priority STAB. Knock Off can help Azumarill get rid of some pokemon's items. Superpower can be run to hit Ferrothorn although it should be noted that it has the potential to only 3hko depending on the Ferrothorn's spread.

Choice Band

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off/ Superpower

The choice banded set makes Azumarill have immediate power instead of having to Belly Drum up first. This set makes an excellent revenge killer due to how strong this pokemon's priority is after the boosts such as STAB and CB. Adamant 252 attack evs with Huge Power in order to maximize Azumarill's damage output. Play Rough and Waterfall for hard-hitting STABS. Superpower or Knock Off on this set really depends on what your team needs. Knock Off can get rid of pokemon's items. Superpower pretty much stags a potential 1hko on Ferrothorn depending on the set.

Some Threats to Azumarill: Strong Electric Types can really hurt Azumarill no matter its set.

Amoonguss and Venuasaur can wall most variants with ease and can hit it pretty hard.

Ferrothorn: If Azumarill lacks Superpower Ferrothorn can just wall it for days.

Final Thoughts: Overall Azumarill is a solid pokemon and can fit onto many playstyles. It has very few flaws and is a great choice for a bulky water type.

How well do you think Azumarill competes with others in this metagame? Discuss it down below.

Last edited:
While Azumarill gained few toys in the transition to ORAS, I believe that it definitely can still compete more than a little well for a team slot. However, it's 100 / 80 / 80 bulk isn't nearly as good as it would seem, especially on frailer sets such as Belly Drum and faster Band sets. As a physical attacking water type, Azumarill faces almost non-existent competition. Gyarados shares Waterfall but has completely different coverage moves, the same goes for Mega Sharpedo, and Swift Swimmers are rarely seen outside of rain. Also, it's just a nitpick by now, but I would mention that 164 Spe does not speed creep Tyranitar, and while it outspeeds defensive variants, Azu would be Aqua Jet'ing it anyways.

Despite the addition of M-Metagross and the emergence of some other threats like Lando-I and Serperior in ORAS, Azu is still able to perform various roles quite effectively. Its typing is truly fantastic, giving it useful resistances and STABs, which are backed by an amazing ability that gives Azumarill huge power (I'm hilarious, I know). I think we can all agree that the AV set has somewhat fallen from grace in ORAS, but the Belly Drum and Choice Band sets have arguably become better. CB Azu is a great cleaner/revenge killer with Aqua Jet, which takes a nice chunk from anything that doesn't resist it. The CB set is also backed by more powerful STABs and coverage options to break through some of Azumarill's would-be checks like Hippowdon or Ferrothorn. The Belly Drum set is really good too, as Azumarill gets a number of opportunities to set up by virtue of its typing and decent bulk. However, like any sweeper, it requires that its checks (Serperior, Manaphy, Rotom-W, etc.) be removed or weakened before it can do its job. Additionally, the rise of bulky waters (particularly Scald users) does make it harder for any Azu set to be effective, but with smart teambuilding and playing, these issues can be dealt with to some extent. All in all, Azumarill is still a huge threat that didn't really lose much viability in the transition from XY to ORAS, and its unique characteristics warrant a slot on many teams.

Small side note: Though it probably doesn't merit a set or maybe even a mention, Sap Sipper Azu has a very small niche on rain teams as a Serperior counter.

While Azumarill gained few toys in the transition to ORAS, I believe that it definitely can still compete more than a little well for a team slot. However, it's 100 / 80 / 80 bulk isn't nearly as good as it would seem, especially on frailer sets such as Belly Drum and faster Band sets. As a physical attacking water type, Azumarill faces almost non-existent competition. Gyarados shares Waterfall but has completely different coverage moves, the same goes for Mega Sharpedo, and Swift Swimmers are rarely seen outside of rain. Also, it's just a nitpick by now, but I would mention that 164 Spe does not speed creep Tyranitar, and while it outspeeds defensive variants, Azu would be Aqua Jet'ing it anyways.
Fixed

Amoonguss and Venuasaur can wall most variants with ease and can hit it pretty hard.

Ferrothorn: If Azumarill lacks Superpower Ferrothorn can just wall it for days.
Assuming the above is meant to be true for Azumarill in general, and not just the band / Assault Vest versions. It should probably be mentioned that belly drum Azumarill ohko'es both Ferrothorn and Amoonguss with knock off at +6. (One possible fix is to run no item on Amoonguss, even though this decreases its usefulness otherwise.)

Some teams that need hard counters to Azumarill use different ones for band and belly drum. i.e., one could run either unaware Clefable or Quagsire to deal with the BD set and another mon to switch into bandmarill. Mons that switch into both bd and band are: Mega Venusaur, itemless Amoonguss and physically defensive Celebi.

One thing I really like about azu in the current meta is it's ability to reliably check weavile in a pinch. With weavile being everywhere lately and straight up shitting on offense it's always nice to have a good switch in to that monster. Azu still does the same thing it always has and it's just a really good glue for balance.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, that's the problem with Weavile vs Azumarill. Azumarill really dislikes having its item Knocked Off, especially if it means losing out on wallbreaking capabilities (Choice Band), tanking capabilities (Assault Vest), and recovery in a pinch (Belly Drum). Moreover, Swords Dance Weavile poses a threat to Azumarill as at +2 Knock Off does around 60%-72% to Choice Band Azumarill (which has the highest HP of all variants of Azumarill), and after SR, Azumarill loses when around 30% of its health is chipped away. Not to mention Poison Jab Weavile xD.

I would probably switch the order of the sets 'round. Choice Band to go first, Belly Drum second, and Assault Vest last. For the Choice Band set, Superpower is generally preferred over Knock Off, so I would slash Superpower first.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No item Amoonguss isn't really an answer to BD Azumarill, just FYI

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 364-429 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

OrdA makes a good point though. Azumarill is a very difficult pokemon to switch into because the switch-ins for Band and Belly Drum are pretty different. Not only that but a pokemon that you would switch out of Band would be a pokemon you might keep in against Belly Drum to weaken it as it sets up. Granted you can take a guess at which set it is based on teambuild or how the opponent has played it (BD is often conserved a bit more), but the big difference between the two sets still guarantees that you have to make a tough decision before you're certain of the set.

Add the Sap Sipper set as it completely shuts down Serperior and Mega Charizard-Y.
While it does shut down Serperior, MegaZard-Y is still very dangerous.

If timid:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill in Sun: 130-153 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If modest:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill in Sun: 144-169 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- 85.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

While Azumarill's retaliation does...
4 SpA Azumarill Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 50-60 (16.8 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO

So yeah, Sap Sipper is not that great.

While it does shut down Serperior, MegaZard-Y is still very dangerous.

If timid:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill in Sun: 130-153 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If modest:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill in Sun: 144-169 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- 85.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

While Azumarill's retaliation does...
4 SpA Azumarill Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 50-60 (16.8 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO

So yeah, Sap Sipper is not that great.
That's why you run Toxic and Rest-Talk. You stall out Sun if need be and laugh really hard.

If it's modest, you can't switch into it, toxic it, and then then rest, you only have a 15.5% chance of surviving, and that's without Stealth Rock.
Modest Zard Y isn't very common IIRC since you reallllly don't want to speed tie.

You switch in then Toxic because they'll probably go for Solarbeam next. Even if they go for Fire Blast again (also, the miss chance is pretty important to note for 2 hits in a row), you can play safe and Rest just after you switch in and sleep talk because it's almost certain they'll try and Solar Beam (burning a turn of sun and sleep). You're more likely than not gonna toxic the thing/make it burn enough turns of sun that they'll switch.

Modest Zard Y isn't very common IIRC since you reallllly don't want to speed tie.
If you didn't want to speed tie then you would run modest. Probably enough speed to creep something slower like Exca then put the rest into SpA and Hp or defense.

There's not much you're going to be speed tieing with Zard Y anyway if you run Timid. Gardevoir? You can take a hit from gard anyway and it's not exactly something thats super common to be worrying about.

Should it be worth noting that max def skarmory can give azumaril trouble. (such as whirlwinding out bd varients or walling av azu) pretty sure Even cb azu can have some problems with it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Skarmory takes a sizable chunk from CB Waterfall (there's a small chance to 2HKO Physically Defensive after Rocks) and has difficulty phazing out BD because it dies to Knock Off after Rocks (Azumarill also isn't going to be setting up on it anyway). Walling AV doesn't really matter since AV is more of a tank, and Skarm isn't going to like losing its item.

Last edited:
Belly Drum

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Isn't Waterfall greater than Play Rough, on the proviso you get BD set up? I play Azumarill (admittedly on a TR team) and I find Waterfall is often superior, as it usually OHKOs resists. For example:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 292-344 (95.1 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 346-408 (107.1 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 381-449 (127.4 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 317-373 (87.8 - 103.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Plus, Play Rough has 90% accuracy - and this will burn you if your team depends on Azumarill in any way (learnt from painful experience, too many times under Trick Room did I use Play Rough on a Rotom-W, only to miss and be WoWed). I guess maybe if you're not thinking you'll be able to set up BD a lot of the time, Play Rough is better - but I'd imagine teams with Azumarill are built in such a way that they're supposed to set up BD at least a good portion of the time. I think at the very least Waterfall should be slashed with Play Rough.

My advice certainly would be to always run Knock Off on a BD set - getting through Ferrothorn and Amoonguss easily is invaluable. Plus, water/dark coverage is very nice, and Azumarill makes a much better job of having that coverage than Crawdaunt. The calcs for what I just mentioned to show it's value:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 524-617 (121.2 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Mention somewhere the set Leftiez used in ST against bad ass (Natural Gift with the berry to make it fire type, from phone now and idr the name) as even if it's a p niche set it can put lot of work since it beats easily stuff like Ferrothorn and Scizor that annoy Azumarill otherwise (especially the latter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)