- Steel Roller
- Misty Explosion
- Draining Kiss
- Misty Terain
- Mud Shot
- Misty Explosion
- Steel Roller

Overview:
  • A powerful attack stat granted by its ability, Huge Power, combined with a strong offensive typing and movepool allow Azumarill to serve primarily as a potent wallbreaker or a fearsome one-shot sweeper
  • Respectable bulk and a unique defensive type let it check a number of OU threats while avoiding many common coverage options in the current metagame
  • Access to priority and knock off allow Azumarill to pressure both its offensive and defensive checks, and provide offensive support even when at a disadvantage
  • Azumarill's poor speed leave it outpsaced by the majority of threats in OU, forcing it to rely heavily on it's bulk or priority to accomplish its goal
  • It relies on the extremely committal Belly Drum in order to sweep, and requires heavy support from its team to eliminate its checks and provide a reliable setup opportunity
  • While powerful, Azumarill often struggles to break through the many bulky water and grass types available in OU

Potential Movesets:
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

After a single turn of setup, Azumarill gains a monsterous 1744 effective attack thanks to Huge Power. When paired with Azumarill's bulk, coverage, and access to priority, it can be extremely difficult to take down without the right tools. Play Rough is Azumarill's strongest STAB, while Aqua Jet gives it a tool to deal with faster opponents. Knock Off rounds out its coverage, dealing massive damage to defensive pokemon that resist his STABs, such as toxapex and Ferrothorn. The EVs maximize attack and speed, while adding the remainder in HP to ensure that the Sitrus Berry activates after belly drum is used.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Choice Band allows Azumarill to take advantage of its offensive power immediately at the expense of its sweeping potential. Its natural bulk and resistances provide it many switch-in opportunities. Its power and movepool allow it to serve as a wallbreaker, revenge killer, or offensive pivot; giving it a comfortable position on a wide variety of teams. In particular, Choice Band Azumarill offers and immediate response to sever of the new deadly sweepers in OU, such as Volcarona, Alakazam, and Cinderace.

Starting Discussion Points:
  • How does Azumarill best fit into the OU metagame? How does it influence the other potent threats in the tier?
  • What team members best synergize with Azumarill's offensive and defensive capabilities? Post the cores you've come up with!
  • What other interesting options does Azumarill have at its disposal? Are there any unusual sets that you think have a place in the metagame? Any fun calcs you want to show off? Showcase its potential!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Belly Drum is amazing, in my opinion. The generic "walls" to Azumarill such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Tangrowth, Toxapex, and Slowbro all get decimated by this set. In addition, with minimal chip on things like Hydreigon, Dragapult, and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (which cannot even kill you usually), you are able to clean the game out later on.

I think it tends to work well with bulky-offensive cores in need of a win condition and on hyper offense that wants a win con to bust through physical walls.

CB and other variants (i.e: Whirlpool + Perish Song) are viable, but lacking in comparison to Belly Drum.

i also wanna toss out another set that I didn't feel was worth putting in the main post.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Liquidation/Superpower

AV Azumarill totally commits to its role as a pivot, providing a very reliable stop to a number of very scary special sweepers in OU, such as volcarona, alakazam, hydreigon, and aegislash. Azu can already kinda handle these usually under the right conditions, but AV lets it consistently switch into and win against a lot of threats right now.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 176-208 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 274-324 (73 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 155-182 (41.3 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 159-187 (42.4 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 126-148 (33.6 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 8 SpA Rotom-Heat Thunderbolt vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 284-336 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 136 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 240-284 (64 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A spread of 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 SpDef will sacrifice its ability to tank specs Aegislash's shadowball in exchange for some physical bulk (most notably, it allows azumaril to survive a facade from conk), but anything lower will compromise its ability to check alakazam which I personally feel is more important.

---
Editing this since after playing around with this concept Ive found the first AV azu set that im particularly fond of.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 36 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

Due to the potency of Urshifu, I think a mixed defensive spread is basically necessary for AV azumarill. I'd recommend a minimum of 252 HP, 36 Def, and 44 Spd in order to meet the same SpDef benchmark while also being table to tank two Wicked Blows and a +1 dragapult phantom force. The remaining EVs are really whatever your team needs from there. I used 160 Adamant since it allows azumarill to kill volcarona in the sun with liquidation+Aqua jet, as well as break primarinas sub while burned. Then i dumped the rest in spdef for rolls. I'm using it as a glue for a sun team so that first calc was important (as well as to help deal with some other things like lucha or talonflame). Without a damage booster, azumarill isnt that threatening even at max attack. so i think its better to just invest for something specific and call it a day.

Last edited:
I use flame orb haze Milotic with 8 Speed to creep max speed adamant Azu to eliminate its belly drum boosts and stall it to death. Works like a charm.

Someone should point out the whirlpool perish song set. Damn annoying to face.

All about surprise i think azu gets perish song so it can trap common switch ins like toxapex,tangrowth,ferrothorn and get rid of them. Rillaboom and corvinight may be able to uturn out

For sake of discussion here's what I believe to be the main Perish Trap set

:Azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic / Rest / Knock Off

The main goal is simple. You use whirlpool on a common azumarill switchin to trap it. You then use perish song, stall with protect, then switch out on the last turn as the opponent dies. Overall its a risky strategy that typically relies heavily on misdirection, but it also is very effective against stall teams lacking at least two mons that can avoid trapping (via pivots, shed shell, water absorb, or ghost typing).

I haven't used the set myself this gen, but I've run into both rest and toxic varients. Toxic gives azumarill extra utility against balance/offense teams, which this set can fall a bit flat against. Rest capitalizes on the stall matchup, making it a potent threat throughout the game by conserving its health and PP. Avoiding leftovers has the additional benefit of not being forced to reveal the set if you want to switch in with hazards up or something. I could also see knock off having some value in the last slot, but I haven't seen that yet. and if youre a real maniac maybe you can use encore and some speed investment to catch greedy clefables who think they can just tp out on turn 3.

I think its best to go full spdef on the set, since most of your viable trapping targets that can actually fight back are special attackers (namely sludge bomb tang/amoongus but it also helps tank shit like magearna if that ever comes up). I couldn't really find any meaninful defensive benchmarks when calcing and i dont think theres anything worth outspeeding this gen; so maximizing bulk to help with rolls/chip feels like the way to go.

+

Azumarill is finally back so I can run these 2 guys on stall again. A lot of defensive synergy together and checks a lot of offensive threats in the tier by virtue of a wide set of resists.
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

For sake of discussion here's what I believe to be the main Perish Trap set

:Azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic / Rest / Knock Off

The main goal is simple. You use whirlpool on a common azumarill switchin to trap it. You then use perish song, stall with protect, then switch out on the last turn as the opponent dies. Overall its a risky strategy that typically relies heavily on misdirection, but it also is very effective against stall teams lacking at least two mons that can avoid trapping (via pivots, shed shell, water absorb, or ghost typing).

I haven't used the set myself this gen, but I've run into both rest and toxic varients. Toxic gives azumarill extra utility against balance/offense teams, which this set can fall a bit flat against. Rest capitalizes on the stall matchup, making it a potent threat throughout the game by conserving its health and PP. Avoiding leftovers has the additional benefit of not being forced to reveal the set if you want to switch in with hazards up or something. I could also see knock off having some value in the last slot, but I haven't seen that yet. and if youre a real maniac maybe you can use encore and some speed investment to catch greedy clefables who think they can just tp out on turn 3.

I think its best to go full spdef on the set, since most of your viable trapping targets that can actually fight back are special attackers (namely sludge bomb tang/amoongus but it also helps tank shit like magearna if that ever comes up). I couldn't really find any meaninful defensive benchmarks when calcing and i dont think theres anything worth outspeeding this gen; so maximizing bulk to help with rolls/chip feels like the way to go.
I've been considering a set like this that's mixed between PerishTrap and standard Azu to make it not entirely a gimmick.
Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Standard bulky attacking EV spread with Jet and Play Rough so that it can still function like an Azumarill, provide valuable priority to the team, and still deal some notable damage. Seeing it perform like a normal Azu will also help out in luring things like Pex, my main reason for using this set.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I used huge power perish song with wide lens. It bluffs an offensive set better and the biggest downside to the trapper azu is missing whirlpool and revealing your set. Play rough is near 100% accurate. I dont like aqua jet as without cb or belly drum the damage output is poor.

I paired it with future sight to manage the mandibuzz pex cores

I used huge power perish song with wide lens. It bluffs an offensive set better and the biggest downside to the trapper azu is missing whirlpool and revealing your set. Play rough is near 100% accurate. I dont like aqua jet as without cb or belly drum the damage output is poor.

I paired it with future sight to manage the mandibuzz pex cores
What do you run in place of Jet? I figure it can still provide some late game value with Jet picking off some weakened mons or can scare things like Cinderace, Excadrill, Volcarona, etc. but I agree it doesn't do the damage you'd want it to necessarily

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)