Back to OU! 6th Gen Competitive Team (advice appreciated!)

How's everybody doing this year? It's GenXXZ, and I'm here with my first 6th Gen Singles RMT. Some of you may remember me lurking around the UU forums last gen, where I mainly experimented with Trick Room and the effects of it on that metagame. However, those days certainly have passed, and now I'm back with a pretty standard OU team which has brought me pretty moderate success overall. I make RMTs mainly to get advice from more skilled players than myself, so feel free to provide any criticisms you feel are necessary. I certainly appreciate all of them! With that said, I present to you: "Back to OU!"

The idea of the team, overall, is to achieve offensive/defensive balance while having a defined win condition. Overall, nothing too gimmicky or nonstandard, although I do have some tricks up my sleeve with this team, as you will see!

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard (Trace)
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Alakazam is the win condition. The goal of the whole team is to get Alakazam to sweep, although it is possible to alter this goal need the situation be. I think running Mega Alakazam is a good choice mainly because of the Trace ability. Magic Guard still does one of its main jobs, nullifying hazard damage, while the Mega Evolution activates and traces a useful ability. Needless to say that Trace has an amazing amount of utility on such an offensive, fast Pokemon. One of my favorite tricks is tracing Prankster and then Substituting; a lot of people don't seem to notice Trace at all on Showdown. Psyshock is a really helpful move on this team. There is a definite specially offensive dominance as you may have noticed, so having Psyshock there bypasses a lot of problems that I would have otherwise. Dazzling Gleam is good coverage against dark types and dragons, and it's chosen over Focus Blast because of its accuracy. Shadow Ball is also pretty standard coverage versus other Psychics. Substitute is to stop things like Thunder Wave or Toxic from ruining my day.

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz/Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass

Meet the most important member of the team. Passing Quiver Dances is a very valuable asset to this team, as Jolteon, Tentacruel, and most importantly, Alakazam, are all very thankful for Venomoth's support. The choice between Sludge Bomb and Bug Buzz is a difficult one a lot of the time. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, so I often find myself just switching between the two every so often. I don't really think there's any clear winner. Sleep Powder makes Baton Passing a much safer practice overall for self explanatory reasons. Quiver Dance is the boosting move, and Baton Pass is Baton Pass. I don't think there's really much I'd change here, since Venomoth's role is a pretty defined one.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SAtk / 52 Sp. Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Here's a fun set... Offensive Rapid Spin Tentacruel! Quite situational indeed, but the key to Tentacruel's success is Jolteon's and Venomoth's support. Offensive Tentacruel is capable of 2HKOing some very unexpected things while also providing Rapid Spin support, which is moderately needed. Hydro Pump is Tentacruel's most powerful STAB so it is chosen over Surf. Sludge Bomb is another great STAB to have, hitting grass types and fairies for some good damage. It also allows me to counter banded Azumarill pretty effectively. Ice Beam is pretty much the team's ice move, so it's very important. Rapid Spin does what it has always done!

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Baton Passing Charge Beams is kind of neat because not a lot of people expect such a set. I tend to see a lot of people assume I'm running Specs, and that's honestly just the way I like it. Forcing switches and setting up a Sub is pretty easy, and Charge Beam has a pretty damn good chance of raising Jolteon's Special Attack. At least though, I can pass Substitutes and provide free switch ins to teammates. Thunderbolt is the STAB of choice, because it's just so reliable! Charge Beam will hopefully boost Jolteon's Special Attack, and it does most of the time. Substitutes can be passed or just used to Jolteon's benefit. And Baton Pass is, well, Baton Pass!

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat

Team balance is important, and that's why Infernape and Gliscor are here. Infernape's job is to provide the team with a physically offensive presence and priority. His typing also has synergy with the rest of his teammates, allowing me to hit more things hard than I could before. It's true that Infernape doesn't get much support besides the occasion Sub pass from Jolteon, and sometimes that can feel lackluster, but I can't say that Infernape hasn't played a role in the team's success, because it definitely has. Flare Blitz or Fire Punch is, again, just dependent on how I'm feeling. I don't think there's any clear winner. Thunder Punch is really great coverage, hitting a lot of fire resists hard. Mach Punch provides the team with priority, which is really important. Close Combat, however, is the main Fighting STAB.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Gliscor helps the team take the physical hits that it otherwise couldn't, while also providing Knock Off and Stealth Rock support. He's also capable of stalling quite well with the help of Roost and Poison Heal recovery. I choose not to run Sub+Protect because it doesn't really provide much for the team overall, and I wanted a set that was capable of helping out the main win condition, which this does. Gliscor's weaknesses are covered pretty well with the rest of the team too (mainly synergising with Tentacruel) so he pretty much fits the bill. Knock Off got a huge buff this gen and I love it; knocking off people's items is a pretty valuable asset. Earthquake is a good, reliable STAB. Roost helps Gliscor maintain his patent stalling capability, and Stealth Rocks is the best move in the game.

Overall, I'm really looking for some good advice for this team, so please contribute! I would definitely appreciate any criticism. I haven't experimented with OU in quite a while, so I'm always open to learning new things. Thanks for reading on this far, and have a wonderful New Year!

Your team has a huge weakness to kyurem black. It doesn't need that much setup and it can ohko everyone on the team. it has a similar weakness to crawdaunt, mamoswine and latios. The team is completely walled by gastrodon. and you will also have a hard time stopping dusclops, dragonite and mew. I hope that helps. I would look into ways for combatting these threats.

If you want to use mega alakazam, use a modest nature. I personally prefer normal alakazam, with timid and a focus sash or life orb. So you can choose what you want. Just know that life orb alakazam isn't that much outclassed by mega alakazam.

Use scald over pump on your tentacruel too. That way, you can burn or poison. If you don't care about status conditions, use sludge wave over sludge bomb. It does 5 more base damage and has a 10% chance of poison rather than sludge bomb's 30% chance.

I prefer fire punch over flare blitz, and I find close combat pointless because of Mach punch. But that is just my opinion. A lot of people disagree with me. Just know that with you current set covers your weakness against flying, rock and water, but not ground or psychic, so grass knot or shadow claw are good choices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)