Bad Nicknames

Hello Everyone, this is my first RMT on the fourms, and after lurking around other NU RMTs, (acountless, I might add) I've decided to make my own.

PREVIEW:

IN DEPTH:

King Pinch (Pinsir) @ Rock Gem
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack

Pinsir was designed to be the star of the show on my team, but ending up cleaning up after Ludicolo. I wanted to try a unique set where I could bait Fire/Flying types, then proceed to hit them hard with a Rock Gem'd Stone Edge. However, there were these times where I was killed because of the shaky accuracy of the move. Pinsir is also my Fighting check, switching into a fighting type move to set up a SD and proceeding to do damage.

hard headed (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch

Standard SRer, If it works, don't change it! In order to accomplish my dreams of Pinsir sweeping, I needed to put Fire and Flying Types in check while also having a pokemon to set hazards, thats why I chose Golem. I usually use Golem as my Lead, where I can set up my SR and either deal damage, or switch into Ampharos to Dual Screens. I've thought of running a Custap Suicide set but I really wanted to keep Golem to check those Fire and Flying types that restrict my Pinsir to sweep.

makin' it rain (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

THIS GUY. This crazy Mexican guy. Boosting a excellent 478 speed in the rain, almost nothing can outspeed it. While not intentionally making him the star sweeper, he usually goes after Ampharos when dual screens are set up to either sweep or to soften the opposing team in order for Pinsir to clean up. I sometimes lead with this pokemon if I smell a Rain/Sun team so that I could immediately abuse/set up my own weather. to and extend, my Predictable, but powerful.

shockingly good (Ampharos) @ Light Clay
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Ampharos is arguably my most important team member on this team. I chose good 'ol Amphy because of his excellent bulk and because he only has one weakness, Ground. His job is set up dual screens, which tremendously aid my team. I've also witness how bulky this guy is. I mean as long as a reflect is up, this guy can take EQ left and right! Amphy usually goes after my Golem after it sets up its SR. Ampharos also serves as my second flying check, going in to resist the Flying type move. I may put a electric stab instead of toxic to aid against Flying types. Amphy works as a Physical wall taking hits like none other, beside Misdreavus

earthquake? (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Heal Bell/ Perish Song

Misdreavus is used to check for Flying types and strong physical attackers by Will-O-Wisping them. Misdreavus, as the name implies, is also used to take predicted earthquakes along with Normal and Fighting type moves. I cannot decide between Heal Bell and Perish Song because they both work well with my team. If I used one move, i'd need the other instead. Misdreavus serves as my mixed wall, taking hits when the rest of my team, except Amphy, that guy can take alot, could not.

anti-canadian (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Skuntank is my filler pokemon. His job is to trap checks and to serve as a effective revenge killer. He's also used to absorb Toxic Spikes if on the field, so thats a plus. If my Misdreavus decides to run Perish Song, I usually switch in after the song and pursuit trap it. I don't know what other pokemon to put here, but he does his job pretty decently. I might want to run a third sweeper here instead because after both my Ludicolo
die, its usually GG for me.

Extra Notes:

I did half on one day, and the other half of the RMT on another day, so please forgive me if some of the pokemon have a lack of infomation on them.

(Yes, I know Specs 'Zard can rip through my team. As long as my check, Golem is up, Zard isn't much of a problem.)

Any changes/adjustments will help me out alot! Thanks for reading my RMT! If there's any problems, I'll fix them.

Last edited:
To be honest Specs Zard is not too much of a problem since you can revenge kill it with Skuntank's Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock. Life Orb is arguably more dangerous as it can Roost off SR damage as Sucker Punch fails, and then sweep with enough left to take out three or four team members before it succumbs to Life Orb recoil. Golem is not really a good check because every Charizard variant runs HP grass (or at least it should).

I do like the Golem set though - Rock Blast gives you a way to beat dangerous Substitute users like Haunter and Braviary, which is massive. An item I personally love for this set is Lum Berry, as it allows Golem to shrug off several anti-leads, in particular Jynx's Lovely Kiss, Liepard's Swagger, Golurk's Dynamicpunch and various Scald users. However, this is not necessary, only a personal preference, and I can quite see you wanting to keep Golem as healthy as possible to deal with Swellow and the like.

Although this seems like an accomplished first team, one flaw I would notice is that it doesn't carry anything that fast right off the bat. True, it compensates with priority users, but none of those priority attacks are particularly powerful/reliable (eg I mentioned above that, although it should lose, Charizard can beat Skuntank by anticipating a Sucker Punch; not reliable). While I appreciate your attempts to do something unique with Pinsir, I really think a standard Choice Scarf set would be more appropriate to the team to increase your ability to revenge-kill - with Moxie, this set doubles as a good late-game cleaner. As a really small thing you should invest the 4 leftover EVs into HP to hit a Stealth Rock number, but that's a pretty minor thing.

Another issue this would help resolve is your Scolipede weakness. Currently, Scolipede's Megahorn will be doing big damage to Pinsir - Scarf it and it is easily revenge-killed.

And, I know you consider him filler, but keep Skuntank, if only for his ability to Pursuit-trap Haunter, which you would get flat-out wrecked by otherwise. He also absorbs Toxic Spikes, which given the Scolipede weakness is a very good thing.

This is a very solid team. I do agree with Noobcubed that Scolipede is an issue, however I do think that it is checked well enough by Misdreavus + Golem to be ignored. If you do remember, I did play you 2-3 times on the ladder, so I sort of know your team but not quite. However, I do believe that charizard is a huge issue to your team. Regardless of golem, who is OHKO'd by HP Grass after rocks to break its sturdy, you have no solid checks.
One thing I would like to point out is how useless Pinsir is in this spot of your team. Scolipede itself far outclasses it as a swords dancing bug type, with a stronger STAB, as well as better coverage in terms of EdgeQuake or Aqua Tail Spikes.
As I mentioned, Charizard is a huge issue even with Golem, For that reason, I suggest you run ScarfTom over your Ampharos. Your dual screens ampharos set really is deadweight, and loses momentum for your team. Scarf Rotom however will help you gain momentum, reliably revenge kill SpecsZard, Smashed Gorebyss and Carracosta, etc. It also can trick walls scarves, allowing you to better deal with them, as I see no solid way to deal with Audino or Lickilicky on your team.
I do also agree with Noobcubed that Skuntank should be kept, as it deals with psychic types reliably, something your team ceases to do.
Overall, this is an extremely solid team, and I congratulate you on the work!

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Swarm / Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail
- Rock Slide / Spikes
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Trick

Thank you all for your fantastic reviews!

noobcubed I will try scarfed Pinsir, but should the moveset stay with the exception of SD changing into EQ?

Brawlfest Thank you for the Scolipede suggestion! I was trying to find a suitable replacement to Pinsir, without changing much. Ampharos aids the team alot by setting up the dual screens, there are times where I would have lost without the screens; however, I will try your Rotom suggestion also, but keep in mind, it will add another ice weakness, making half of my team susceptible to ice.

[EDIT] Scolipede is way too weak to switch in without dual screen support, so i'm keeping ampharos

Last edited:
I have a way to solve both the Ice Weakness and the Dual Screens problem. Over Ampharos, I suggest Dual Screens Serperior whom is faster, more reliable, and has access to giga drain + taunt as it's filler, meaning that opponents cannot set up against your screens, and that you can reliably recover some health to set up more screens in the future. Serperior is also surprisingly bulky, making for a great switch in to many water sweepers. However, this opens up an ice weakness, so I suggest running Defensive Probopass over Golem. It stays in the match much longer, allowing you to check Braviary and Swellow, as well as ice types such as Jynx well throughout the match. It's slow volt switch will also bring your sweepers in safely, giving you safer switches in general!

I realize I am changing a lot, but I think that it will help the team in general! This is an optional change, but I do feel it is beneficial.

Serperior @ Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt

Mario (Probopass) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Brawlfest
Thank you for all of the changes, but i see that with all of these, half my team is weak to flying and fire! The two pokes that i'm trying to keep checked!
No team is perfect, so i'll keep looking for alternatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)