ORAS NU Balance in the NU (feat. Little Mac)

Lately, I've been messing around with a bunch of different tiers, but NU finally caught my attention (especially with its ongoing Suspect Test). I've been playing for a few days and I've come up with a cool balance core team. It's tested okay but I'd like a little help from someone possibly more experienced in the tier.

Tombstone (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
I've always generally enjoyed the Regi trio but found them rather useless in most competitive tiers. However, Regirock has done wonders as a lead in the NU. Obvious SR setter, his access to Drain Punch and Rock Slide (STAB) make him an excellent and fairly resilient sweeper and switch in against common threats like Zangoose and Kangaskhan.

Zuko (Cradily) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Toxic
Cradily is a Pokemon I've had several experiences with (both using and facing) in higher tier play and his validity there is just as good in the NU. The incredible bulk is overwhelming to a lot of Pokemon and it acts effectively in switching into Scald or walling Frogadier and Lapras. Generally once any Steel-types are gone, I can Toxic Stall entire teams with this little bugger.

Little Mac (Hitmonchan) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
Hitmonchan is the star sweeper of this team. The Iron Fist set speaks for itself. Generally, it acts as a solid Wall Breaker, dealing with Aurorus, Slaking, and other Normal/Steel/Ice/Rock types. It's random coverage with Ice and Fire Punch give it the ability to hit sweepers like Lilligant and Vivillon with fair amount of ease.

Nicki (Jynx) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick
Jynx is an amazing NU Special Attacker. It's above average SpA combined with the Scarf is powerful enough to run through certain teams that aren't prepared for it. It's a one-hit answer to Weezing (which seems to be a premier Physical Wall of the tier) and can also deal with rival Fighting-types like Hitmonchan and Gurdurr. Also, the ability to stop any setup/wall in its tracks with Trick is incredibly gimmicky.

Amaterasu (Vivillon) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
Vivillon is a cool addition to this team. Despite it's 4x weakness to Rocks, it acts effectively after only a single Quiver Dance. This makes it an ideal lead against certain teams (especially because of Sleep Powder). The main reason I put Vivillon on the team is that I wanted a set up sweeper. It fits its role pretty well.

Chica (Vullaby) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Toxic
Vullaby was necessary for a strong defensive end and I really needed a Defog on this team so Vivillon didn't worry about switching in at half health. It's relatively high bulk and ability to KO physical hitters with an easy Foul Play are pretty intriguing in this tier.

So that's what I've got so far. Again, I'd really like help from someone with more experience in the tier because it's VERY fun to play in. Thanks Guys!

-Zane

hey Zane,

Cool team man, im glad to see you enjoy NU currently! The suspect test is going on so i suggest going for requisites allowing you to help determine the future of NU, especially if you have reqs for the first round of the test. In terms of helping you out, some of your sets on this team are slightly suboptimal, and what my rate is going to do is help suggest plans of action in order to remedy these problems, and overall give you a more solid team to take to the ladder :]

I like Regirock atm, its an excellent Charizard / General Fire check and a Flying / Normal resist which every NU Team needs, however, the main niche Regirock carries over other bulky Stealth Rock setters like Rhydon and Steelix aren't those things. In fact, Thunder Wave is actually the main reason to run Regirock, as it distinguishes it from Steelix / Rhydon and provides crucial speed control. So i suggest running Thunder Wave > Earthquake on Regirock. Another thing that im not to keen on is your Regirock spread, it seems like the ones Showdown suggest on the fly, which arent the most optimal. Infact, 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD Impish Nature > Current Spread is what you need. This spread allows you to survive a sawks banded close combat from full, as well as take 2 focus blasts from magmortar, permitting you to be more of the tank it can be. The rest of the EVs were dumped into Attack.

Cradily isn't the greatest Pokemon in NU atm. SD Samurott dumps on your team, and its courtesy of your revenge killer (which is good, needs no changing) not being able to OHKO and constantly threatened my megahorn. Cradily hands initiative to this samurott set in specific, since its flat out outsped and OHKO'd by a +2 Megahorn. Samu also sets up on a plethora of mons, such as Regirock or a choice locked Jynx. As a result, i suggest adding an extra fighting resist and sd samurott check > cradily. Fighting Types such as Sawk (which is currently being suspected), Hitmonchan, and Hariyama all take on your team extremely well. So having a blanket check or pivot switch to those is quite important as well. As a result, im suggesting a Defensive Vileplume > Cradily. Forms an overall solid core with Regirock, should be good to take on a vast proportion of the current NU metagame.

Hitmonchan's set can also be optimised. I think this team could seriously benefit from an Assault Vest > Life Orb. It allows Hitmonchan to spin more frequently and tank several more attacks from the likes of Vileplume, Rotom or just anything like Magmortar if you let Regirock get too weak or something of the sort. Some set optimisation is needed too, Mach Punch > Bullet Punch is needed here. This is because STAB and such, granting hitmonchan higher base power priority and the difference between missing a revenge kill or getting it. Rapid Spin > Fire Punch is also needed i feel. Whatever Hitmonchan hits with Fire Punch, it can hit with Drain Punch, and so theoretically provides no useful coverage to it. Running an Adamant Nature > Jolly Nature allows you to hit Rotom / Mismagius which are prominent spin blockers, as well as common fighting resists like Vileplume and Xatu for far higher damage.

I very much so like the pairing of Vivillion with Scarf Jynx, however, some small stuff needs to be edited. e.g. Jynx does need a Timid Nature > Modest Nature (On both Mons) On Jynx to outspeed the likes of +2 Rhydon (after a Rock Polish), +1 Timid Lilligant (after a Quiver Dance) and others such as other scarfers like Rotom. Vivillon usually dont run Bug Buzz in favour of Energy Ball, but i think you might need Buzz to take on Malamar, so we will keep that as it is currently. Dry Skin > Oblivious is also good for having a secondary water resist

Finally, we really don't need Vullaby, we have an excellent Grass Resist in Vileplume as well as several psuedo checks in Jynx, Vivillon and AV Hitmonchan. Instead, i would be much more worried about the likes of Hitmonchan which can hit Vileplume super effectively and spin freely as well as, to much more effect. Steelix. We currently dont have a switchin for this monster which can really pressure it, or even resist Heavy Slam. The closest thing we have to take it on is Vileplume, which doesnt really appreciate the extra pressure. As a result, i suggest running Spell Tag Wisp Hex Rotom > Vullaby. Gives us a secondary flying resist, normal resist and most crucially a way of wallbreaking and pressuring Steelix like crazy. Spell Tag Shadow Ball allows us to immediately pressure the likes of Musharna (and Steelix), which can be a problem if we let it have too many Calm Minds.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Aromatherapy

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Hope i helped you out, gl in the future with whatever you may do
~HJAD

Last edited:
hey Zane,

Cool team man, im glad to see you enjoy NU currently! The suspect test is going on so i suggest going for requisites allowing you to help determine the future of NU, especially if you have reqs for the first round of the test. In terms of helping you out, some of your sets on this team are slightly suboptimal, and what my rate is going to do is help suggest plans of action in order to remedy these problems, and overall give you a more solid team to take to the ladder :]

I like Regirock atm, its an excellent Charizard / General Fire check and a Flying / Normal resist which every NU Team needs, however, the main niche Regirock carries over other bulky Stealth Rock setters like Rhydon and Steelix aren't those things. In fact, Thunder Wave is actually the main reason to run Regirock, as it distinguishes it from Steelix / Rhydon and provides crucial speed control. So i suggest running Thunder Wave > Earthquake on Regirock. Another thing that im not to keen on is your Regirock spread, it seems like the ones Showdown suggest on the fly, which arent the most optimal. Infact, 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD Impish Nature > Current Spread is what you need. This spread allows you to survive a sawks banded close combat from full, as well as take 2 focus blasts from magmortar, permitting you to be more of the tank it can be. The rest of the EVs were dumped into Attack.

Cradily isn't the greatest Pokemon in NU atm. SD Samurott dumps on your team, and its courtesy of your revenge killer (which is good, needs no changing) not being able to OHKO and constantly threatened my megahorn. Cradily hands initiative to this samurott set in specific, since its flat out outsped and OHKO'd by a +2 Megahorn. Samu also sets up on a plethora of mons, such as Regirock or a choice locked Jynx. As a result, i suggest adding an extra fighting resist and sd samurott check > cradily. Fighting Types such as Sawk (which is currently being suspected), Hitmonchan, and Hariyama all take on your team extremely well. So having a blanket check or pivot switch to those is quite important as well. As a result, im suggesting a Defensive Vileplume > Cradily. Forms an overall solid core with Regirock, should be good to take on a vast proportion of the current NU metagame.

Hitmonchan's set can also be optimised. I think this team could seriously benefit from an Assault Vest > Life Orb. It allows Hitmonchan to spin more frequently and tank several more attacks from the likes of Vileplume, Rotom or just anything like Magmortar if you let Regirock get too weak or something of the sort. Some set optimisation is needed too, Mach Punch > Bullet Punch is needed here. This is because STAB and such, granting hitmonchan higher base power priority and the difference between missing a revenge kill or getting it. Rapid Spin > Fire Punch is also needed i feel. Whatever Hitmonchan hits with Fire Punch, it can hit with Drain Punch, and so theoretically provides no useful coverage to it. Running an Adamant Nature > Jolly Nature allows you to hit Rotom / Mismagius which are prominent spin blockers, as well as common fighting resists like Vileplume and Xatu for far higher damage.

I very much so like the pairing of Vivillion with Scarf Jynx, however, some small stuff needs to be edited. e.g. Jynx does need a Timid Nature > Modest Nature (On both Mons) On Jynx to outspeed the likes of +2 Rhydon (after a Rock Polish), +1 Timid Lilligant (after a Quiver Dance) and others such as other scarfers like Rotom. Vivillon usually dont run Bug Buzz in favour of Energy Ball, but i think you might need Buzz to take on Malamar, so we will keep that as it is currently. Dry Skin > Oblivious is also good for having a secondary water resist

Finally, we really don't need Vullaby, we have an excellent Grass Resist in Vileplume as well as several psuedo checks in Jynx, Vivillon and AV Hitmonchan. Instead, i would be much more worried about the likes of Hitmonchan which can hit Vileplume super effectively and spin freely as well as, to much more effect. Steelix. We currently dont have a switchin for this monster which can really pressure it, or even resist Heavy Slam. The closest thing we have to take it on is Vileplume, which doesnt really appreciate the extra pressure. As a result, i suggest running Spell Tag Wisp Hex Rotom > Vullaby. Gives us a secondary flying resist, normal resist and most crucially a way of wallbreaking and pressuring Steelix like crazy. Spell Tag Shadow Ball allows us to immediately pressure the likes of Musharna (and Steelix), which can be a problem if we let it have too many Calm Minds.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Aromatherapy

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Hope i helped you out, gl in the future with whatever you may do
~HJAD
Hey,
Thanks so much for the recommendations. So far, Regirock has done an amazing job with the set you've recommended and Rapid Spin Hitmonchan acts gloriously as a hazard remover. Rotom seems to put a lot of pressure on enemies from the start and has helped get me out of some bad situations (also an effective sweeper after 2-3 Regirock TWaves). Vivillon continues to work as needed. I've yet to run into a situation where Jynx has been outsped but I took the recommendation to change the nature Timid > Modest to ensure that I never do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)