SS OU Balance Team (first team on this generation).

OMG, It's been quite a while. I used to play competitively at the late 2nd and then 3rd generation, back then at NetBattle. I played a bit at diamond/pearl meta, but not that much. So, I am very outdated about the meta. I always liked to bring novelty, and less used mons into my teams, but since I am not yet aware of the current meta, I decided to start with the basic, building a team around a mon I was acquainted to and use suggestions from smogon moveset database and the usage rates database (its definitely very usefull).

I have been playing and modifying a bit the team, and here is how it is right now:

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

OK, This is the mon I built the team around. But curiously I have been finding it the least useful or necessary on my battles. It acts here as defoger, check predicted ground attacks, and deal some damage and status. I dont have many oportunities to roost safely, tho, because Zapdos is not that bulky or quick enough.

Toxapex (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Knock Off

I am happy with this mon, its bulky and usefull. Haze has been very necessary on this team, but I feel its still not enough to stop stat builders (specially calm minders but not restricted to them). For example, I cant switch Pex safely against Calm Minding Tapu Lele, Latios and others once they start CM'ing.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

I use this monster a lot. For offense, statusing and even absorb damage (steel, psychic, ice, fire and more). Still open to modify its build accordingly to the rest of the team. I have been failing on using Taunt effectively. Maybe its my fault for inability, but it seem not to come in hand many times when preventing stat builders or other utilities (stealth rock, healing...). I'd appreciate tips on this matter.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Serious Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy

Thia one is a core of the team. Main checker to most special attackers (obviously), Steal rock setter and cleric. Yes, I tried Teleport instead of Aromatherapy, but did not like it. I relly too much on Bliss ability to check special attacks, so I cant afford to let it teleport unhealthy, even to bring a sweper safely. I found myself often in a corner with a <20% life blissey unable to switch in and didnt gain much advantage of it. AT have been providing more sustain and survivability, getting rid of toxic, paralyzis and burn that are common.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Not much to say, a hybrid of physical sweeper and physical tank. Although sometimes getting stuck against the 4x weakness to flying moves. I attracts too much psychic move users, including fairies like Tapu Lele that he cant deal too much. Heatran and Blissey can check many but not all of the switchs I have been encountering.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Special Sweeper to finish off mons that arent full HP anymore. I am not happy with U-turn tho. Its too weak, and since Dragapult is fast, I ofen find myself needing to choose wich mon to swith in without knowing what the opponent will do, wich isnt too different than simply switching. I use Draco Meteor ~70% of the time, than shadow ball when its more effective, and the other two moves are the ones I use the least.

PS: I am still getting used to the mechanic in wich moves arent tied to be special or physical accordingly to their type. Again, I used to play Gen 3, and at that time, Eletric was special, ground was physical, etc... I still dont know all the moves and wich of them are special or physical and who uses them, but I will get there, lol. Its a matter of time, study and battle.

Conclusions:
-I feel vulnerable to electric attacks, ground moves (zapdos starts do be predicted after one or two switches) and psychics. Blissey can absorb the special side of those, hile heatran can somewhat tank psychic, but I still feel its not enough. Dragapult does not have much hp and resistance to tank eletric even being dragon (and its not the purpose of this mon to absorb damage anyway).

-I like to have more stalling capabilities than an all-out offensive arsenal, so please consider this when making suggestions (although of course some power is welcome).

-I consider Landorus-Therian in plase of zapdos. Immunity to electric and ground would fit well ad its capable of defogging. I am up to consider other special sweepers also. Thought about CM Latios, maybe? or Choice Specs...

-In previous stages of building this team, I also used successfully CM/Substitute Suicune, Clefable as physical tank and wish passing, and Skarmory with Spikes. I would consider bringing one back if needed.

-Finally, I am open minded to more experienced opinions :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)