[Balanced Hackmons] Primal Groudon QC (1/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
600px-383Groudon-Primal.png

QC [1/3]
GP[0/2]

[OVERVIEW]
  • Primal Groudon is a Ground/Fire bulky Tank capable of taking and dealing massive amounts of damage.
  • Primal Groudon is extremely versatile, having many sets and few Checks and Counters.
  • Primal Groudon's stabs alone hit the tier for neutral coverage, so it does not need to run other coverage.
  • Needs to avoid taking Water and Special hits.
  • Needs Choice Scarf to beat common offense threats, but being choice locked barely hinders Groudon due to it's great STAB coverage.
[SET]
name: Mold Breaker
move 1: V-Create/Sacred Fire
move 2: Thousand Arrows
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Trick/U-Turn/Filler
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band/Rocky Helmet/Safety Goggles
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Adamant/Lonely/Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • V-Create is the most powerful move if the game and maximizes damage output at the cost of Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. However the OHKO potential is usually worth it.
  • Thousand Arrows has neutral coverage on the whole tier, and is a more spammable option then V-Create.
  • U-Turn gains momentum, and can slowly wear down counters.
  • Trick cripples walls by locking them into a move.
  • King's Shield lower's the opponent's attack on contact, and can help scout.
  • Pursuit Traps Shedinja and OHKOs due to mold breaker, so Groudon can always defeat Sheddy unless it switches out the same turn Groudon switches in. Can also trap Aegislash, whom Groudon often forces out.

Set Details
========
  • The 252 Attack evs make Don hit as hard and possible, this is boosted by the nature. 252 Speed evs make Primal Don as fast as possible. the Speed evs are optional on the Band set, and can be replaced by HP evs.
  • The Scarf set is capable of outspeeding Timid Mega Mewtwo Y.

Usage Tips
========
  • V-Create should be reserved for when it is 100% necessary since Groudon is often forced to switch after using it and has low PP.
  • Thousand Arrows has zero relevant resists thanks to the built in Smack Down affect. This is your primary method of Attack.
  • U-Turn is highly useful, momentum and scouting extremely important to winning in BH, and U-Turn does both.
  • Scouting is key, don't take unnecessary risks with Groudon. If you think your opponent can beat you, switch out.
  • Burns help Groudon wear down his checks and counters faster.

Team Options
========
  • Rayquaza-Mega is an excellent partner to Primal Groudon due to Primal Groudon and
    Rayquaza-Mega beating each others' counters.
  • Giratina can switch into Water/Ground stacks for Groudon. It also helps imposter proof your team.
  • Gengar-Mega can set up on Groudon's main counters, Slowbro and Giratina.
  • It is highly recommended you run a counter to Groudon on your team to prevent Imposter Chansey from doing damage.
[SET]
name: Hulk Smash
move 1: V-Create/Sacred Fire
move 2: Thousand Arrows
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Trick/Blue Flare
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
ability: Tinted Lens/Desolate Land/ Adaptability
nature: Adamant/Lonely/Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • V-Create is the most powerful move if the game and maximizes damage output at the cost of Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. However the OHKO potential is usually worth it.
  • Thousand Arrows has neutral coverage on the whole tier, and is a more spammable option then V-Create.
  • U-Turn gains momentum, and can slowly wear down counters.
  • Trick cripples walls by locking them into a move.
  • Blue Flare can 2hko Mega Slowbro sets.
  • Sacred Fire inflicts burns that make it much more difficult for Groudon's counters to stay in.
Set Details
========
  • The 252 Attack evs make Don hit as hard and possible, this is boosted by the nature. 252 Speed evs make Primal Don as fast as possible. the Speed evs are optional on the Band set, and can be replaced by HP evs.
  • The Scarf set is capable of outspeeding Timid Mega Mewtwo Y.
Usage Tips
========
  • V-Create is the main STAB option due to its ridiculous power without resists, capable of 2hkoing all walls without Fur Coat.
  • Thousand Arrows already had zero resists, it is simply a more spammable option then V-Create.
  • U-Turn is highly useful, momentum and scouting extremely important to winning in BH, and U-Turn does both.
  • Scouting is key, don't take unnecessary risks with Groudon. If you think your opponent can beat you, switch out.
  • Burns help Groudon wear down his checks and counters faster.
  • Try to avoid using Tricking the Scarf off if offensive checks to Groudon still live.
Team Options
========
  • Rayquaza, and Mega Gengar easily beat Groudon's counters.
  • Giratina and Slowbro provide potential counters for imposter proofing, and Water resists.
[SET]
name: (Contrary Groudon)
move 1: V-Create
move 2: Thousand Arrows/Earth Power/Overheat
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Draco Meteor/Overheat/Dragon Ascent/Imprison/King's Shield
item: Rocky Helmet/Safety Goggles
ability: Contrary
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • V-Create boosts the most stats, is the most powerful move in the game, and is STAB. There are Few reasons to not run it.
  • Superpower is the next best option with contrary, boosting Attack and Defense.
  • Thousand Arrows is still a reliable option even on contrary due to its lack of resists.
  • The last move is highly customizable, and is dependent on user preference.
  • Draco Meteor easily 2hkos Giratina without investment
  • Imprison can be used to counter the Chansey switch in.
Set Details
========
  • 252 Attack and 252 Speed are optimal to ensure Groudon's boost are as impactful as possible, to prevent revenge kills from potential scarf threats.
  • It is perfectly viable to run an Naughty set, or only 148 Speed evs. 148 Speed evs enable you to outspeed Mega Mewtwo Y after 1 speed boost.
Usage Tips
========
  • It is generally preferable to eliminate an imposter before sending out Contrary sets. An impostor that has copied a Contrary is almost impossible to defeat without an Unaware or Prankster counter.
Team Options
========
  • An Unaware teammate is an excellent choice to keep impostor at bay.
  • Prankster+Topsy Turvy is an excellent check to imposter as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Defensive Fur Coat sets see some usage, these Sets tend to be used to check other Groudons.
  • Soundproof Sets can be used to counter Diancie-Mega and potentially check the other "ates."
  • Special Attacker sets also exist, and are extremely anti meta, as most Primal Groudon checks are defensive
  • Refrigerate and Pixilate are somewhat new and untested, though they are extremely powerful due to their ability to easily beat Giratina.
  • Magic Guard and Poison Heal sets can enable Groudon to defeat Chansey 1v1.
  • Levitate sets can provide niche imposter proofing.

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Water type attacks: almost every competitive water type attack OHKOs due to Primal Groudon's 4x Weakness. Common users are Kyogre and Protean, less common users are Palkia, Swampert, and Diancie-Mega
  • Strong Special Attackers: Strong special moves such as Boomburst can OHKO thanks to Primal Don's less then average Sp.Def. Common Users are -Ate, Kyogre, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Gengar. Less common users are Arceus, Deoxys-A, and Lati@s.
  • Excessively Bulky Fire resists: Bulky Fire resists can make repeated switch ins on Groudon. Giratina and Slowbro-Mega are the most common. Be wary of Tinted Lens, or run Fur Coat to ensure you can reliably counter.
  • Primordial Sea users: Cancels out Groudon's most powerful STAB, and turns niche pokemon like Mega Heracross into counters.

Last edited:
Kingslayer2779, a few things.

This has to be in bullet form, not in written form.

Secondly, remove the bold please *=*.

Finally, make sure your C&C is not split, and is in this format:

**Giratina**:
**Mega Slowbro**:
and so on.

Fix those before continuing please!

Kingslayer2779, a few things.

This has to be in bullet form, not in written form.

Secondly, remove the bold please *=*.

Finally, make sure your C&C is not split, and is in this format:

**Giratina**:
**Mega Slowbro**:
and so on.

Fix those before continuing please!

I will fix those! I only had time to copypasta and throw in some small details. I will be adding more and fixing the format up today.

Sorry for taking a while to get to this.

Looking good so far!
In general, when you're listing possibilities, you need to have a space between the slash and the items. For example,
Choice Scarf/Choice Band
is incorrect. Instead, write
Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Also, 4 is too many slashes for one item, so try to trim those down to just the most relevant ones. I'll probably mention that again later when I'm going over the sets.
Also, you can't do this:
  • See set 1.
Unfix said somewhere (on a different analysis or something) that you're supposed to just rephrase/restate (but not copy paste) what you wrote for Set 1.

Overview:
On the line: Primal Groudon's stabs alone hit the tier for neutral coverage, so it does not need to run other coverage.
You should mention Thousand Arrows somewhere in this, because Ground/Fire doesn't hit everything in the tier for neutral damage (Ho-Oh for example). Alternatively, change "whole tier" to "whole relevant tier"
Also, on the last line of your overview, you should change "Needs Choice Scarf" to "Appreciates Choice Scarf" or something, because it's viable without one (and your set lists a bunch of non-scarf items)
Mold Breaker Set:
You should rename this set to Mold Breaker. Primal Groudon is implied. Also, you don't need the () around it
Try to trim down your Move 4 to just 3 choices. I'd recommend removing King's Shield, as it doesn't fit with the Choice items you suggested
I'd suggest removing Rocky Helmet from the first set and either move it to Other Options or forget about it. I'm not sure how viable it is. I'd say Safety Goggles are much more useful.
Choose one nature to use (probably adamant), put the rest in OO or forget about them
Mold Breaker Set Comments:
Moves:
Mention Sacred Fire in your moves (in particular against Fur Coat Giratina)
Set Details:
Mention that Scarf Groudon-Primal outspeeds Mega Ray, which would otherwise OHKO it
Talk about the other items here as well
Team Options:
Rephrase the first line, it's not really clear enough.
On your second line, what do you mean by stacks? Is that a typo of attacks or something?
Give some specific examples of Groudon counters on your last line. I like the Gengar line though.
Tinted Lens Set:
Again, only one nature here
Remove Blue Flare from the U-Turn line
I don't see why you can't just combine this and the Adapt/Desolate Land sets into one thing; they're basically the same. However, I'd recommend moving the Desolate Land slash to OO to reduce the clutter
Contrary Set:
Move this to OO, it's a pretty self explanatory set and most people have ways of dealing with contrary sets. I don't think it's a very good set in the current ladder
Other Options:
For your Soundproof set, mention that it can also surprise Mega Rayquaza, whose Boomburst OHKOs standard Groudon Primals
Checks and Counters:
Finally, make sure your C&C [Checks and Counters] is not split, and is in this format:

**Giratina**:
**Mega Slowbro**:
You still need to do this.
Also, if I were you, I'd trim down your Checks and Counters section to include most Water type or special attacks, as Groudon isn't very specially bulky and is 4x weak to water. I'd specifically mention Kyogre and Mega Ray (and maybe mention that Diancie can sometimes 2hko on the switch with Boomburst)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but after you merge the Tinted/Adapt sets, I'll reread it and comment.

QC 1/3
E: Messed up the formatting by misspelling quote

don't cross-reference like "refer to set 1" because i'm sure the moves are different enough and used differently on each set. if not, then why not have just one set? note: i'm not proposing this, but saying see set 1 is not appropriate.

Not QC, but I believe Magic Guard should be mentioned under OO as it's incredibly powerful, decent against Imposter, and it is able to KO many of its common counters with Light of Ruin (namely Giratina and Mega Slowbro).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)