ORAS OU Balanced Hell. A Mega Houndoom OU Team

Intro
The OU meta game was getting really boring to me and I wanted to try a mega I had never used before thus the birth of a balanced hell. This team has a soild core of mega houndoom scarf keldeo and nasty pass celebi they work together amazing covering each others treats amazingly.
At a Glance

Teambuilding Process

I saw this in the oras cores section and it seemed interesting shout outs to the person who made it

Next I needed a birdspam check deffensive landorus t fit the bill

Team was looking sr weak so i gave in and added lati

Needed a steel type and spdef rachi looked good on paper

Found the team to lando t and mamo weak so ferro was added also for spikes suport

Scizor was aded the reasoning is in his brulb as well as chimps comment
In Dept

vaatu (Houndoom) (M) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
The star of the show Houndoom,this pokemons speed and damage output are surprising for something seen so little. Nasty plot boosts houndooms special attack to insane levels and with its powerful dual stabs very few mons can switch in to this monster. nasty plot is the boost houndooms already huge special attack stat fire blast and dark pulse are houndooms stab moves that can blow through teams and sludge bomb was used to round out coverage and hit fairy's taunt and will o wisp were also tested but I decided that hitting clefable and sylveon was more important and helpful in general. Mega houndoom's typing and speed tier give it a niche in killing many of the other base 110 mons in oras such as the latis and gengar and at +2 diancie and gallade

korra (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
Scarf keldeo is a amazing partner to mega houndoom dealing with houndooms biggest new problem mega lopunny. The damage output that scarf keldeo provides can be a little disappointing coming from someone who typically uses specs. Hydro pump is used with scald so that I dont have to rick a miss as well as the burns scald can provid secret swords is there as a powerful stab move that can hit chansey and other mons on the deffensive side and hidden power electric is used to hit azu and gyrados who will stay non mega on keldeo.

jinora (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Recover
Celebi is just a monster in this meta, with its surprisingly great defensive typing(for OU) this thing is amazing nasty pass user. Celebi can pass a +2 boost to anyone on the team making that mon a instant threat but this thinf isnt a one trick pony with baton pass it can easily help gain momentum. Celebi can also wall and set up on many pokemon like unaware clefable(since they normally don't have flame thrower) starmie thunderus landorus i and keldeo. Celebi completes the doom keldeo bi core that works amazing in this meta its only huge problem being t-flame.

boLandorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- stealth rock
Like I said before my team had a huge flying weakness specifically talonflame weak, deffense lando is the one of the best counters to birdspam in OU. Standard deffensive landorus t spread to maximize bulk and help keep birds and other lando ts in check. Since I already had stealth rocks on the team i opted to have knock off for knocking off mons items (obviously) but it really can have a huge impact on the game having the possibility to knock off scarfs and specs.

iroh (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost
real crazy innovation right here (sarcasm) but in all seriousness standard defog lati. Defog was nessasary to help keep rocks off the team that hurt my houndoom. The moves are standard like the rest of the set I opted to run latios just for the damage output that latios provids but if you think latias would be a beter fit please feel free to comment bellow :] Im running 0 ivs in attack for less foul play damage though with madibuzz becoming obscure in oras its not really nessasary.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
Like chimpact said (thanks man) i was really weak to pursuit ttar and with the core i had playing defensively wasnt a option i needed something that could set up and have alot of power as welll as be a lati switch in and this thing worked amazing while testing look at chimpacts comment for more of a explanation. The evs give it alot of bulk while letting it be a functinable sweeper as well weakening the team for houndoom.

Threat List

Belly azu with super power can jsut 6-0 me.

If lando is weakened and zard gets up a few DD's its over...

This thing just wrecks balance in general but it is even more effective against this team.
Alot of other mons can threaten this team but you just have to play around them :/

The End

Thanks for checking out my RMT please feel free to leave suggestions down bellow so long as there respectful. shout outs the fookmi for helping with he sprites :]
:]

NEW Importable
http://pastebin.com/hcGYqqu2

Last edited:
Damn, I like that team, and I love the Houndoom / Keldeo / Celebi core, that's fucking brilliant. Now I'm not sure on any major initial fixes being completely honest because it is very solid, but I have some nitpicks to point out. Firstly, run 8 SpD and max your HP on Lando T in order to survive a HP Ice from Mega Manectric who can threaten this team quite a bit. I know, Stealth Rock number and all that shit but that's not all that importan for something that doesn't take much from Rocks and when there's better use for those EVs.
Also, Spikes is counter intuitive to that Ferro set and the team in general. Hazard stacking with all your hazards on one mon puts way to much pressure on said mon and makes you a sitting duck really. Worse yet, you have a Defogger which clears your hazards too, all those stacked Spikes wasted. Just run Protect for Leech Seed stalling, scouting and sending Mega Lop crashing in a HJK, though Power Whip might be a decent option too for further fat Waters and possibly Azu.
That's... Honestly the most I can offer at first glance tbh. I know there's more work that can be done on this team and there are plenty more threats that could hurt you, but I'm not the guy to think of solid answers for now. Just damn good job, man.

Damn, I like that team, and I love the Houndoom / Keldeo / Celebi core, that's fucking brilliant. Now I'm not sure on any major initial fixes being completely honest because it is very solid, but I have some nitpicks to point out. Firstly, run 8 SpD and max your HP on Lando T in order to survive a HP Ice from Mega Manectric who can threaten this team quite a bit. I know, Stealth Rock number and all that shit but that's not all that importan for something that doesn't take much from Rocks and when there's better use for those EVs.
Also, Spikes is counter intuitive to that Ferro set and the team in general. Hazard stacking with all your hazards on one mon puts way to much pressure on said mon and makes you a sitting duck really. Worse yet, you have a Defogger which clears your hazards too, all those stacked Spikes wasted. Just run Protect for Leech Seed stalling, scouting and sending Mega Lop crashing in a HJK, though Power Whip might be a decent option too for further fat Waters and possibly Azu.
That's... Honestly the most I can offer at first glance tbh. I know there's more work that can be done on this team and there are plenty more threats that could hurt you, but I'm not the guy to think of solid answers for now. Just damn good job, man.
Thanks for the help man :] glad you liked the team i dont normally build

Kewl team breh................

I understand the point of this team is to bring diversity to the monotonous meta game consisting of like 15 pokemon. But if you were to go "serious" on this team (I've been doing a little experimenting with the team) Mega Houndoom just really isn't good. While using it I've noticed that even with the Nasty boost (which I normally end up getting) it still doesn't carry OHKO capability for most pokes with spdef investment. Really the reason for Mega Houndoom being so low tier is because of how it's inferior to Mega Charizard Y. Mega Charizard Y has a move pool that provides coverage for all types and with the 1.5 boost from drought and it's ridiculous 159 base special attack it can wall break and clean up teams. It's just that again I understand the point of this team and bravo for integrating Mega Houndoom into the OU meta game. But if you were to like try and ladder climb Zard Y would be the way to go.

Last edited:

I understand the point of this team is to bring diversity to the monotonous meta game consisting of like 15 pokemon. But if you were to go "serious" on this team (I've been doing a little experimenting with the team) Mega Houndoom just really isn't good. While using it I've noticed that even with the Nasty boost (which I normally end up getting) it still doesn't carry OHKO capability for most pokes with spdef investment. Really the reason for Mega Houndoom being so low tier is because of how it's inferior to Mega Charizard Y. Mega Charizard Y has a move pool that provides coverage for all types and with the 1.5 boost from drought and it's ridiculous 159 base special attack it can wall break and clean up teams. It's just that again I understand the point of this team and bravo for integrating Mega Houndoom into the OU meta game. But if you were to like try and ladder climb Zard Y would be the way to go.
Zard Y and Keldeo on the same team? That really hinders the original teams synergy. Maybe if Zard Y ever becomes the #1 mega again this can be a good meta call too.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Bruh nice solid team I never used mega houndoom so I'm going to try it. Even if this team was zard y it would be good still. Why not change hydro pump on keldeo to icy wind for coverage?

Bruh nice solid team I never used mega houndoom so I'm going to try it. Even if this team was zard y it would be good still. Why not change hydro pump on keldeo to icy wind for coverage?
Tbh alot of times hydro and scald is very helpful you get the damage when you need it w/ hydro and you dont have to risk a miss hydro is nessary alot of times glad you liked the team :]

Well keldeo and zard y work awful together the team would just be very diffrent and houndoom can really do alot of work i would recomend you try out the team your self it supports keldeo very well thanks for the comment :]

Actually, Keldeo and Zard Y is a really common pair, Secret Sword is very potent even in the Sun and Sub CM Keld can set up while the Sun is active. They have great offensive synergy together. Zard Y and Houndoom are pretty different though so there's little use comparing them, Houndoom does have a niche as one mean Nasty Plot sweeper while Zard Y is a genocidal wallbreaker. Since Zard Y somehow turned up in the discussion though, if you choose to go with that then Sub CM Keld is the better pony set to work with, but that would lose you your potent revenger and your best answer to Scarfed Lando.

Tl;dr: Keld and Zard Y together is a thing. Houndoom and Zard Y are different things entirely. If you run Zard Y then run Sub CM Keld. Better yet, just don't use Zard Y, it doesn't fit as well.

Actually, Keldeo and Zard Y is a really common pair, Secret Sword is very potent even in the Sun and Sub CM Keld can set up while the Sun is active. They have great offensive synergy together. Zard Y and Houndoom are pretty different though so there's little use comparing them, Houndoom does have a niche as one mean Nasty Plot sweeper while Zard Y is a genocidal wallbreaker. Since Zard Y somehow turned up in the discussion though, if you choose to go with that then Sub CM Keld is the better pony set to work with, but that would lose you your potent revenger and your best answer to Scarfed Lando.

Tl;dr: Keld and Zard Y together is a thing. Houndoom and Zard Y are different things entirely. If you run Zard Y then run Sub CM Keld. Better yet, just don't use Zard Y, it doesn't fit as well.
oh i didnt know i havent seen zard y since xy and sub cm keldeo wasnt as populat in xy but yeah i just like mega houndoom its a really fun mon in this meta

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
With houndoom / keldeo /celebi you're really limited to how you can play defensively. they share common weaknesses and because keldeo is scarfed, you're vulnerable to set up pokemon. As a result i dont know how good ferrothorn is going to be on your team. Put SR back on lando and probably replace ferro with an offensive pokemon.

Beccause you have two pokemon vulnerable to pursuit tar i think adding in a pokemon that sets up on that while still being helpful against fairies would be a good idea. SD Scizor or bisharp are two pokemon I would consider for that slot. they're another win condition and have great synergy with keldeo as latis love to come in on that and because you have celebi they dont have to take dracos so you have more options if your opponent decides to double switch. As an added bonus, they're both capable of taking flying attacks if needed.

With houndoom / keldeo /celebi you're really limited to how you can play defensively. they share common weaknesses and because keldeo is scarfed, you're vulnerable to set up pokemon. As a result i dont know how good ferrothorn is going to be on your team. Put SR back on lando and probably replace ferro with an offensive pokemon.

Beccause you have two pokemon vulnerable to pursuit tar i think adding in a pokemon that sets up on that while still being helpful against fairies would be a good idea. SD Scizor or bisharp are two pokemon I would consider for that slot. they're another win condition and have great synergy with keldeo as latis love to come in on that and because you have celebi they dont have to take dracos so you have more options if your opponent decides to double switch. As an added bonus, they're both capable of taking flying attacks if needed.
Thanks chimp I think ill try the offensive lo sd scizor set that was on a ctc team :]

Well keldeo and zard y work awful together the team would just be very diffrent and houndoom can really do alot of work i would recomend you try out the team your self it supports keldeo very well thanks for the comment :]
Charizard Y works fine with Keldeo and my problem with Mega Houndoom is that it's just too weak with out Nasty boost when un-boosted it can't even OHKO standard Talonflame set.

252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 187-222 (62.9 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although I must admit I've had a lot of fun playing with Mega Houndoom, once I switched into a Ninetails's (with drought) fire blast so I had flash fire boost then got Nasty Plot up when it had to switch so at that point I had sun boost, flash fire boost, STAB boost, Nasty boost, and Solar Power boost and sweeped. But since that usually doesn't happen it doesn't always carry wall breaker/sweeper potential that is usually carried by other fast hard hitting megas.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest-210155289

(Just wanted to share the replay thought it was funny turns out I didn't get that nasty boost but still powerful)

Charizard Y works fine with Keldeo and my problem with Mega Houndoom is that it's just too weak with out Nasty boost when un-boosted it can't even OHKO standard Talonflame set.

252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 187-222 (62.9 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although I must admit I've had a lot of fun playing with Mega Houndoom, once I switched into a Ninetails's (with drought) fire blast so I had flash fire boost then got Nasty Plot up when it had to switch so at that point I had sun boost, flash fire boost, STAB boost, Nasty boost, and Solar Power boost and sweeped. But since that usually doesn't happen it doesn't always carry wall breaker/sweeper potential that is usually carried by other fast hard hitting megas.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest-210155289

(Just wanted to share the replay thought it was funny turns out I didn't get that nasty boost but still powerful)
yeah its prety weak zard y is alot of fun to im glad you tried the team its fun on the suspect lader :]

Great team dude! I also have a team with Mega-Houndoom.
MY only two suggestions would be to try out Latias over Latios for her bulk so she can come and Defog more than once, and Healing Wish allows you to play more recklessly. I also use one in my team, this is how I roll her:

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

EVs give you a Life Orb number (319, to be exact) while providing as much speed and power as possible. You have two STABs that can deal surprising amounts of damage and Defog like you wanted, with added bulk since Latias has better special defense than her brother Latios.

Second Suggestion would be to try Destiny Bond on Houndoom. It can annihilate any potential threat like Azumarill (right before they do BD), Keldeo and more (so long you're faster) on a last ditch effort by taking down the attacker with you.

Great team dude! I also have a team with Mega-Houndoom.
MY only two suggestions would be to try out Latias over Latios for her bulk so she can come and Defog more than once, and Healing Wish allows you to play more recklessly. I also use one in my team, this is how I roll her:

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

EVs give you a Life Orb number (319, to be exact) while providing as much speed and power as possible. You have two STABs that can deal surprising amounts of damage and Defog like you wanted, with added bulk since Latias has better special defense than her brother Latios.

Second Suggestion would be to try Destiny Bond on Houndoom. It can annihilate any potential threat like Azumarill (right before they do BD), Keldeo and more (so long you're faster) on a last ditch effort by taking down the attacker with you.
First of all thanks man it means alot you like the team :] but in all honesty latios is needed to provid the damage and be able to roost i did test with latias and it was misrable the bulk just became unnessary and the thing is just kinda weak destiny bond is a interesting option and i will deffinitly try it out :]

First of all thanks man it means alot you like the team :] but in all honesty latios is needed to provid the damage and be able to roost i did test with latias and it was misrable the bulk just became unnessary and the thing is just kinda weak destiny bond is a interesting option and i will deffinitly try it out :]
It's alright ;)

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Make Scizor have:

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Even though Life Orb does allow access to more moves in one sitting, it also hurts Scizor, then using roost would waste a team. Technician Scizor with Choice Band does more damage when it is unboosted with Life Orb. U-turn allows for the quick switch out if there is a foe that could be threatening. Just my opinion, you can go with either set.

Make Scizor have:

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Even though Life Orb does allow access to more moves in one sitting, it also hurts Scizor, then using roost would waste a team. Technician Scizor with Choice Band does more damage when it is unboosted with Life Orb. U-turn allows for the quick switch out if there is a foe that could be threatening. Just my opinion, you can go with either set.
the point of this scizor was to set up on pursuit ttar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)