Balanced OU Team

Hi. A little bit of a n00b here. Use to be into the battling scene in DP/early BW, but left for several years and just returning now. I've lost all my old team files, so started again. From the battles I've had so far, it's clear my team has some issues:

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- U-turn

Alakazam (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Vaporeon:
I love this guy. He's extremely useful at stalling out all hard physical hitters. The general plan is to toxic them then stall with wish and protect untill they switch/faint. Going for the burn with scald is also an option. And if it isn't necessary to stall then a little prediction with wish can really help the rest of my team.

Scizor:
This guy and Vaporeon were both on my old DP teams, and were by far the most used by me. It's just a standard Scizor really. I mainly use him for bullet punch, but if I can predict anything a switch or whatever I'll go for u-turn, pursuit or close combat. Whichever is more appropriate.

Terrakion:
Hit hard and fast. I noticed that the strategy pokedex says Earthquake is redundant, but I find it useful for a late-game clean up. In particular, this team seems to struggle against Jirachis. EQ hits harder than sacred sword, though it's unlikely to OHKO and Jirachi will likely cripple with paralysis on the return. Anyway, I don't think I'm getting the most out of this guy. I just want something that can hit hard and fast, so I'm tempted to go for something like mixmence, or maybe mixed garchomp with scarf.

Jirachi:
Added because I noticed my team had only one defensive pivot - Vaporeon. It's a standard paraflinch setup. I like u-turn too, it's quite useful.

Azelf:
Used as a sacrificial lead. Set up stealth rock and explode, if there aren't any obvious steel types about to switch in. If there are, just set up stealth rock then u-turn and I'll sacrifice him later on. I think there's probably a better lead to use for this team, but I've not worked out who yet.

Alakazam:
Standard attacking Alakazam. Hits hard and quite fast on the special side. HP Ice is great for coverage, but substitute would also be nice. Maybe if I could fit an ice attack onto someone else to handle that coverage.

General thoughts:
The team lacks any fire/electric attacks. Taking down forretress/ferrothorn can be a pain. They'll almost always be able to set up some kind of entry hazard before I can KO. I also lack and ghost types for spin-block. And a ground type to absorb thunder waves would be good. None of my guys like being paralyzed.

So, are there any suggestions for improvements? I'd really like to keep Scizor and Vaporeon, but willing to swap out anyone else. A good defensive steel or ghost would be nice, so would a fast mixed attacker.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a really good team. I have a few suggestions to help improve it as well.

-First, I suggest Specially Defensive Heatran over Jirachi. For one reason, it helps against Ferrothorn and Forretress, two Pokemon that causes trouble to your team. Also, with it's defenses and bulk, it makes a great wall, and with it's resistances, it aids your team well. Here is the set I recommend:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic

Not only does the Fire Plume give that burn chance, this set also works as a great phazer with Roar, Roaring away setup sweepers, while stalling out the opponent.

-Also, I suggest Focus Sash Mamoswine Lead over Azelf. Your team doesn't have a true counter to Dragon-types. Also, while it isn't a reliable Ground-type for paralysis, with Focus Sash, it almost guarantees a Stealth Rock, it causes a lot of havoc with Endeavor. Azelf with Explosion also isn't that powerful, unless you had Normal Gem. Here is the set I recommend for Mamoswine:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Pretty septa card set for a lead; Stealth Rock user, priority with Ice Shard, Earthquake as STAB move, and Endeavor as a last resort, after Mamoswines job is done.

That's all I have for you team. Hopefully, I was an aid to you, and good luck with the team in the future!

Pokemon Change(s):
---->

---->

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried a specially defensive heatran once, but found that most Jirachi were accompanied by rain teams so it was of limited use there. It would help with my forretress and ferrothorn issues though, so I'll give it another shot.
I like the Mamoswine idea, though I'd maybe try a life orb variant (without endeaver). If it's going to be a solid check to offensive dragons then I don't want it running down to 1hp too early. And if it's a life orb user then that gives me another physical attacker so I can afford to switch Terrakion out for a scarfed mix attacker. Any suggestions there?

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That sounds like a great idea. If you do decide the Life Orb variety, I'd suggest Stealth Rock over Roar on Heatran, and have Mamoswine as an All Out Attacker set, and see how that helps the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)