Balanced Sandstorm v2

The last time I did an RMT was almost five months ago and since then I've made a fair few changes to my team. I quite like what it's become, but unfortunately I've run into a few pokemon that I'm finding hard to deal with, and so I'd like some feedback on how I could improve my team do deal with them, as well as just general feedback on the team itself.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252HP/ 152 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature(+Atk, -SpA)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

This Tyranitar hurts extremely hard and brings sandstorm, while also having substantial special tankiness. In the sand, he's capable of surviving attacks from Ninetales and Politoed and hitting back with extremely powerful attacks. The moves have fairly strong coverage and so with good prediction almost every switch-in will take a huge chunk of damage.
I use Tyranitar over Hippowdon because I feel that Hippo unbalances my teams' spread of defence, leaving only Rotom-W to deal with special attacks. In addition, I feel that he doesn't act as a big enough threat.
One cute thing I found out by accident is that with the EV spread I'm using, TTar will survive a BP from Choice Band Scizor with 1% HP after SR damage and then OHKO back, which has actually let me win a few times.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Fire Fang

Donphan actually makes a surprisingly good taker of physical hits and is a fairly regular switch-in to a physical dragon type, threatening with a hard hitting Ice Shard to scare away Dragonite and Salamence, as well as Garchomp. I made the decision to run 3 attacks + rapid spin because of the additional coverage it provides, it's disturbing how many pokemon are OHKO or 2HKO'd by this Donphan set. Fire Fang mostly exists on this team solely to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress for massive damage. This set tends to be good against quite a lot of rapid spinners, forcing them to choose whether to remove rocks and take a large amount of damage, or swap out and keep the rocks in.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fire

This guy is very very fast, and hits hard too. He can act as a solid revenge killer, as well as a check to slower dragons assuming Draco Meteor doesn't miss. Hidden Power Fire literally only exists on this set to attempt to deal with Skarmory and Ferrothorn, but it doesn't feel like it's enough. This Latios is also one of my two checks for rain teams, as Latios resists a fair few moves that commonly appear on rain teams.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This washing machine is a disturbingly effective pokemon against rain teams, checking or even straight countering a silly amount of pokemon. With the inclusion of this little guy, threats such as Gliscor who used to be a major threat to my team just stopped being that major of a threat. My primary beef with this guy is that Hydro Pump misses too often, but otherwise he's a solid member of my team. Alongside Lando-T, he makes up a defensive core as well as a VoltTurn core, and he's happy to eat many of the ice-type moves directed at Lando.

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

I love this Terrakion set. He is essentially entirely unchanged from five months ago, with the exception of moving 4 EVs from SpD to HP, so that after 3 substitutes he's at 25% and Salac pops. As a lategame sweeper with his checks and their priority attackers out of the way, he is essentially unstoppable.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 64 Atk / 200 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Yeah, this guy is unchanged. He is just that good, why fix what ain't broke. He is often my lead, and things often work well. I run Rock Slide on him over Stone Edge, because the difference in power is often unnoticeable and I prefer reliability on him. I'll generally only be using Rock Slide if there's a x2 or greater weakness to it anyway, and as such there's no major need for more power, only hitting often.

Now, the main reason I made this was to get help with dealing with specific threats, and here they are.

Offensive Threats

S-Tier

Weavile
- Screw this guy. I hate him so much. He outspeeds basically everyone on my team, and hits everyone for massive damage. He is able to OHKO everyone on my team, with the exception of Rotom-W, who is a 2HKO. This guy is bullshit and makes babies cry.

Breloom - It's been scientifically proven that if you use Breloom, you're an asshole. No one on my team likes eating a Spore, and his stabs hit a large portion of my team for massive damage, and his use of priority is also a pain. If he's running leech seed, that is also a pain due to it affecting everyone on my team and forcing a switch.

Metagross - "But how is this guy a threat?", you ask. Well, sure, Ground type attacks on my team almost universally OHKO him, but there's the small little thing that an Agility + BP + Meteor Mash + Ice Punch Metagross completely wipes my team. This has happened several times. I do not like this. Clear Body also prevents Lando's intimidate from working on him.

Magnezone - Sure, I don't have any steel types on my team, but that doesn't stop this guy from OHKO or 2HKO-ing everyone on my team. Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt alone are capable of basically wiping me. Sure he's easy to kill, but he'll probably take someone with him.

A-Tier

Scizor - While Landorus-T acts as a check for Scizor with Intimidate and enormous physical defensiveness, once he's down there is nothing whatsoever stopping Scizor from cleaning up my team.

Bisharp - Don't you dare laugh. This demon from hell comes from the depths of UU to make me cry. If I see him on the other team I have to ensure that my play is perfect or he'll capitalize on the mistake and wreck me.

Scrafty - Scrafty is actually disturbingly effective against my team, as his physical bulkiness stops easy revenge kills while his coverage means OHKOs or 2HKOs against most of my team.

Defensive Threats

S-Tier

Skarmory - This guy is legitimately probably responsible for a third of my losses. He walls basically everyone on my team, and the best move I have against him is HP Fire on Latios, which is still a 2HKO. Really, the only two moves that I have which threaten him are Volt Switch and HP Fire, but with even brain-dead prediction he can be kept safe from them.

Celebi - Only TTar and Lando's U-turn threaten Celebi to any serious degree, but no decent player leaves Celebi into those pokemon. This dude forces a switch from most of my pokemon, which often lets him Nasty Plot + Baton Pass, or Recover + Baton Pass as needed. He seems supremely effective and I don't like it :<

Gastrodon - Gastrodon is actually capable of walling my team to a surprisingly large degree, as well as hitting back quite hard. My only 'check' to him is actually Rotom-W, but that involves Will-O-Wisping him and then mashing Pain Split, then swapping out at opportune moments to refresh the inevitable toxic counter. Gastrodon is anti-fun :(

Ferrothorn - This pokemon is legitimately ridiculous. Even with my team deliberately running moves specifically to counter him, he still manages to be a huge pain. Gyro ball also hurts an enormous amount, and limits my ability to use Terrakion and Latios while he's on the field. Everything he does is full of stupid and makes me angry.

Firstly, this is a great team. I went and gave it a go and they results were impressive. Tyranitar can shrug off special attacks and has decent synergy with rotom W. Latios being a dragon type helps the synergy as well. Donphan balances the team well with a bit of offense and terrakion beasts through teams. I'm not too sure about Landorus. I am a fan of landorus, he has intimidate and u turn which does wonders for momentum but to cover your issue with celebi, Ferrothorn and skarmory he must die.... Try out;

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock/ Mach Punch

Life orb, Flare blitz and sandstorm do NOT prohibit infernape as much as one would think. He can still live around to score some KOs and thrive off your teams great synergy. U turn is so he doesn't become a trap for your team and Close combat and Flare Blitz is just abusing his great stab. Stealth rocks if you can't find a slot on donphan or someone and mach punch for slamming Weavile. Take a look through the pokemon you have complained about. Infernape can destroy everything, except for gastrodon. Cut fire fang off donphan probably for stealth rocks. Unfortunately Donphan only has one 50+ move and makes max offense redundant.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

My proposed set has stealth rocks in account to our new infernape. Laso a drop in atk EVS. You can still score at least 2HKOs on Dragonite, Salamence and Garchomp off stealth rocks (252/4). At the bulkiest possible form the premier dragons can't survive donphans wrath. Please justify the speed EVs as i don't think they allow you to outspeed anything. Starmie craps on your team too. I don't know why a recovering starmie isn't on your threat list. Once Rotom-W is dead standard starmie can 1HKO Landorus, Terrakion and donphan off full health. He can then 2HKO Latios and Tyranitar. Latios goes to counter once rotom is dead and is 2HKO'd. Therefore you have to play preservative rotom. Considering Latios is the second counter you might want to get t bolt on it. Experimenting never did any harm so yeh. Hope I was helpful and I love your description of Ferrothorn. :)

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hi there!

This is a pretty cool sand team you have here, and it's not that standard, so that's a plus, also, you are using Donphan an underrated threat in the current OU metagame, so I'd like to commend you on using some creativity on your team! However, I see some flaws that hinder this team from doing it's job correctly and my rate will help iron out those flaws and help this teams reach it's full potential. With all that said, let's get to my rate! My first suggestion would to be change your Tyranitars EV spread to one of 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe over your current EV spread. With the aftermentioned EV spread, Tyranitar is able to outspeed uninvested base 70s, while the rest of the EV's are placed into HP to give Tyranitar more bulk. Staying on Tyranitar, I would like to suggest running Pursuit over your current choice of Earthquake. With Pursuit, you are able to trap and kill most Psychic Pokemon that Tyranitar won't be able to outspeed and KO on it's own, such as Latios, Latias, Gengar, and a whole bunch of others. Moving on with your team, I would like to recommend changing your EV spread of Rotom-W to one of 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD over your current spread. With this aftermentioned EV spread, Rotom-W is able to OHKO Max HP Gliscor with Hydro Pump, while the rest of the EV's are placed into HP and Special Defense to make him as specially bulky as possible. My final suggestion would be to give Terrakion 4 Defense EV's instead of your curren 4 HP EV's. Now, while it may seem odd, the 4 Defense EV's gives Terrakion the ability to make 4 Substitutes instead of 3 because you will never know when you will need to use that 4th Substitute when you are in a tight jam. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope that my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

• Tyranitar
    :​
  • 252HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SpD -> 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
  • Earthquake -> Pursuit​
  • Rotom-W
    : 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD -> 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD​
  • Terrakion
    : 4 HP EV's -> 4 Defense EV's​

~Dr Ciel~

Thanks Ciel, I'll give your suggestions a try! I'm worried about the reduction to Tyranitar's ability to tank hits and I've never been particularly good with using Pursuit, but after looking at a typing chart I realised that Earthquake had too much redundant coverage with my other moves, so I'll give your suggestions a go. I definitely like the EV spread for Rotom, the minor reduction in bulkiness for the ability to OHKO Gliscor is definitely a good idea.
However, I dislike the 4 Defensive EVs as opposed to HP on Terrakion. I used to use 4 Def on him a long time ago, but I would run into the problem where I would have to get down to 1% hp for Salac to pop, which definitely seemed scary. With the 4HP, Salac pops at 25% instead of 1%, which I dunno, seems to give peace of mind or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)