Bane of My Existance (Peaked #10 on Suspect Ladder)

A few months ago, way before ORAS was released, I made my very first RMT. It was an RU hyper offense/bulky offense team that peaked at #7 (proof of this unavailable). With ORAS, the RU meta-game shifted a bit to have new threats and a different feel. However, that RMT that was made to shred through stall still works in the world of wall breakers. I got my REQS with this team and I only made 1 change in terms of mons since that first team. I had a lot of fun using this team because of its fast-paced style and ability to tear apart almost every team. There are 24 moves on each team, and 22 of these do direct damage on this team. I built this team a while ago, so I won't include a strict teambuilding process, but I'll explain everything with each individual mon. Without further ado: here is the team.

THE SQUAD

250px-638Cobalion.png

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

The one part I distinctly remember from building this team was that it started with Cobalion. It has always been great, but now it is the most versatile mon in the meta-game. It is the best offensive rocker in the tier and keeps momentum with volt switch. Its dual-STAB is there to punch stuff. Unfortunately, due to the style of this team, it is often hard to get up rocks, but if you can you are almost guaranteed a win with the guys behind him. It's incredibly standard for a reason, Cobalion is great.

mega_banette_by_drphantom24-d6q29a1.png

Mega-Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk --> Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Shadow Claw/Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

Let me tell you why Mega-Banette is the best and worst mega in all of pokemon. It's the worst because it doesn't kill that much despite its staggering attack stat and can be revenged really easily because of its low speed. However, it is the best during team preview. By having this mon on your side, you can look at the other team, identify the biggest threat, and remove it completely, making the game a 5 on 5 with your choice of which 5 both sides use. That is the power of prankster destiny bond. Shadow sneak and knock off are standard. For the other move, I prefer running will-o-wisp, but I ran into too many Cresselias on the ladder and it was too hard to kill, so I put on shadow claw. I'll use will-o on the importable, but shadow claw is a good option once you get higher on the ladder.

250px-693Clawitzer.png

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

On my first RMT, everyone shat on the concept of using AV Clawitzer. And yes, it does lack some power compared to life orb or specs, but hear me out. Clawitzer has so much special bulk that it can switch into hits that nothing else on my team wants to take. AV also allows me to bait things to stay in that think they can kill it and I take them out in return. Also, AV provides more longevity, increasing the chance that this lobster can kill mons to the bitter end. The moveset is incredibly standard and very few things can switch into it. Here are some calcs to show why I even dared to use AV clawitzer.

252+ SpA Moltres Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Clawitzer: 141-166 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Clawitzer: 188-224 (54.4 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Clawitzer: 182-216 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

So If you think you can pick this thing off, not so easy.

sigilyph.jpg

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Ice Beam/Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power Fighting/Calm Mind/Roost/Anything

I did not build the team around this absolute monster, but I did witness its full power and wall breaking ability. If you look at the viability rankings, you can find this thing all the way down in the B- range. This is because everyone uses Sigilyph wrong. Everyone goes around like "look at me using cosmic power. If only you didn't get a crit I might sweep you." I will stand before you and say (or type) that this is not how anyone should use Sigilyph. It gets great coverage, one of the best abilities IMO, and access to a fantastic 97 base speed. The first 3 moves are a must. The last one is up to you. I ran ice beam becuase I needed a way to kill gligar when it was around and was too lazy to change it. Dazzling gleam is better for this meta, but that's personal preference. Now, behold the sheer power that this mon provides you.

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 289-343 (66.8 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Energy Ball vs. 120 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 250-294 (49.9 - 58.6%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Energy Ball vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 526-620 (124 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 218-257 (71.7 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Very few things switch in.

jolteon.jpg

Jolteon @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I don't need much of an explanation for this. Jolteon outspeeds everything naturally (barring accelgor) and has a good base 110 special attack. Choice specs make him hit rediculously hard and limit switch-ins. Life orb is very good too, I just like the raw power and longevity (not like you're taking many hits, but still). If the other team has a ground type, Jolteon is nearly useless. However, if there is no ground type, Jolteon is the best member on the team.

250px-237Hitmontop.png

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Sucker Punch

Bet you didn't see this one coming. Not the mon, but the set. This was originally a Feraligatr who would SD then aqua jet to oblivion. I liked the priority, but I needed something that could get me out of every situation. Hitmontop has access to 13 priority moves, more than any other mon in the game. Here are 4 of them. As we know from Pangoro, fighting-dark-something-to-hit-fairies is great coverage. Fake out is there to get that little bit of chip damage that puts threats in range of the other moves. Technician gives the top great power, making it this tier's Scizor. It checks every offensive threat other than doublade, making it nearly impossible to sweep this team. This + Mega-Banette destiny bond ensures that the other team needs to wall everything to win, not over power it. This is not nearly the best Hitmontop set out there, but it is the best mon at filling this role, which is why it is here.

So that's the team. But as with all teams, there are threats that can hurt it badly. And here they are:

Moltres + Scarf: If this thing gets banned, don't worry about it. I have 1 thing that can switch in and it does a lot of damage to this team otherwise. Only the scarf set is a problem, as Jolteon outspeeds every other set and kills it with any electric move.

Cresselia: The most annoying mon in RU shuts down my team if Banette runs will-o.

Houndoom: Again, very few switches, but it is revenged by so much of my team that it's not a huge problem. But just be aware of it.

Heliolisk/Jolteon/Rotom-C: I don't have a ground type or man switch ins. I switched Gatr for Top because of these mons beause I got swept by a heliolisk.

Enjoy the team and if you have any suggestions, leave them below. The team does work well, so make sure to test any changes before suggesting them.

Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 7.21.44 AM.png

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Ice Beam

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Sucker Punch

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Edit: We're internet famous boys! S/o to Swagilyph, one of my favorite youtubers, for at least gening this team and hopefully I'll see him use it in a session or a wifi battle.
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 8.14.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Looks cool man, but I was wondering why you decided to leave Rapid off of Hitmontop. I understand that the priority it provides you is a huge part in making this team work, but I get kinda nervous when I think about the growing prevelence of hazard-stack. I'm about to take the team out for a spin, so I'll leave post-usage comments in a bit. :)

Looks cool man, but I was wondering why you decided to leave Rapid off of Hitmontop. I understand that the priority it provides you is a huge part in making this team work, but I get kinda nervous when I think about the growing prevelence of hazard-stack. I'm about to take the team out for a spin, so I'll leave post-usage comments in a bit. :)
TechniTop definitely suffers from 4 move syndrome and I wish I could put rapid spin on it, but I don't for two reasons. First, my team isn't that scared of hazards. Nothing is weak to stealth rock and I can kill accelgor/qwilfish easily if they want to set up spikes, so hazards are relatively a non-issue. Also, all four of Hitmontop's moves allow him to check every offensive threat in the current metagame other than Doublade and Reuniclus. I'll leave some calcs to show why all four moves are necessary to prevent any sweeps.
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 182-218 (50.1 - 60%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Fake Out vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Fletchinder: 121-143 (39.6 - 46.8%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 198-234 (64.7 - 76.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Fake Out vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 86-101 (27 - 31.7%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Bullet Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 172-203 (54 - 63.8%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmontop Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 250-296 (73 - 86.5%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 108-127 (29.9 - 35.1%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 161-191 (44.5 - 52.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 113-134 (41.6 - 49.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 169-200 (62.3 - 73.8%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Exploud: 330-390 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmontop Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 263-309 (90.3 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hitmonlee: 125-147 (51.8 - 60.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Feraligatr: 75-90 (24.1 - 28.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Feraligatr: 113-134 (36.3 - 43%)

If you really want rapid spin, take off bullet punch as it really only helps against Slurpuff, but I prefer it because this team doesn't mind hazards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)