Barry Bonds

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't think there is any concievable way I could care less about baseball but the fact that he has been on every major multi-sport news show at least once a week for about four years running has caused me to form an opinion on him and while I would be surprised if the effect of the steroids aren't being greatly exaggerated by the media that hates him so much it still irritates me that he will break the record. I don't think there's any record in any proffesional sport that will last forever so it was only a matter of time until this got broken anyway, but I really hate him as a person from what I've seen of him in interviews and such so him breaking what is probably the most important single player record in baseball is sort of depressing.
Very fucking well said man.

My views are summed up in this picture:

I'm not much of a baseball fan, but, like everyone else, have been hearing about Barry for a while. Yea, he's an ass that proablly took steroids (the guy started of as a fucking lead off hitter), but he's still got skill. Steroids may make you stronger but it still doesn't make it much easier to hit a 85+mph pitch. He skill with hitting a ball is even more impresive when you consider the fact that he's managed to hit all these runs when he walks ever other at bat.

Also, why isn't anyone mentioning A-rod. With 500 home runs at 31, he's in a good position to smash the record right in Bond's wake.

haha dm that picture is awesome

Anyway I dislike Barry Bonds and don't think that deserves the record at all, but there's nothing I can do about it. I don't really care about baseball that much anyway (I like the Twins, but I don't follow them avidly or anything).

I really don't understand America and it's view on steroids.
I was in the USA for the last 3 weeks, and saw all the stuff about Bonds on, basically, every tv show out there. IF it's such a big deal to you guys that he might have used steroids to get to that magic homerun number, THEN FUCKING CHECK EVERY PLAYER IN EVERY GAME ON STEROIDS.
Seriously, many other sports (for example: Cycling) have done this for years now and it has become something normal.
The main problem seems that Major League (also NBA and NFL) players have such a big merchandise around them (shirts, caps, shoes, bobbleheads, everything) that catching them on steroids is going to be a bigger loss then the League wants or can afford.
Take Michael Vick for example, not a lot of persons will buy any Michael Vick stuff anymore, because who wants a Dogfighter's sneakers?
Imagine what it would be like if Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and more players of this level of fame would all be caught on steroids (which I believed would be the case if every player was checked), it would be a financial disaster.

Hahahaha I can't take anything you say seriously because you're pointing to cycling as an anti-doping success story.

Happen to read about this year's tour?

Well, the one thing about cycling I like is that they really took action on everyone they caught. It is my belief that MLB is not doing all it can do to prevent steroids from being used in MLB.

As for Bonds, he would have never broken the record if he didn't take steriods. Thus, this record is not considered legit to me.

Thats all I have to say about that matter.

Imagine what it would be like if Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and more players of this level of fame would all be caught on steroids (which I believed would be the case if every player was checked), it would be a financial disaster.
Kobe Bryant had the whole rape charges and is constantly talking about how he wants to be traded/not traded. Yet last time i checked he sold the most basketball jersey's last year.

Well, the one thing about cycling I like is that they really took action on everyone they caught. It is my belief that MLB is not doing all it can do to prevent steroids from being used in MLB.
http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/news/a...1&content_id=964769&vkey=mlbpa_news&fext=.jsp

from the link said:
First-time offenders will now be suspended without pay for 10 days, second-time offenders will be suspended for 30 days, third-time offenders will be suspended for 60 days and fourth-time offenders will be suspended for one year.
that was back in 2005 and they have actully caught and suspended a few people.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
"Barry Bonds" more like "how many ways can we misspell steroids"

anyway, I just wish he would get the fuck off my TV.

Yes, like they just did with Nefei Perez, but if we look at the ESPN Sportsnation poll, most people believe that the ban should be longer and tougher.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Actually they redid the steroid policy it in November of 2005 to be even tougher than that one:

"The first positive test would result in a 50-game suspension, a second positive test would result in a 100-game suspension, and a third positive test would result in a lifetime suspension from MLB."

Some of the harshest penalties in all of sports, while I would like to see it as a year then lifetime, I think its fine right now, just too many chances are given.

What's really funny about this, since he tied the record, every bad pitch is one he's swung at mostly, and every perfect pitch he let slip over the plate.
But yeah.... I couldn't give two shits about Barry, really.
Take Michael Vick for example, not a lot of persons will buy any Michael Vick stuff anymore, because who wants a Dogfighter's sneakers?
Speaking of him, have you seen the new Michael Vick chew toy for dogs?

Actually they redid the steroid policy it in November of 2005 to be even tougher than that one:

"The first positive test would result in a 50-game suspension, a second positive test would result in a 100-game suspension, and a third positive test would result in a lifetime suspension from MLB."

Some of the harshest penalties in all of sports, while I would like to see it as a year then lifetime, I think its fine right now, just too many chances are given.
good looks on that i thought this was the updated one but your right. That was january of 05.

I don't care if he breaks any records. I've always thought that he cheated to get where he is. Either way, I'll still be watching his at-bats.

Bitching about him taking steroids seems pretty pointless imo. Don't even try to say that many other famous home-run hitters wouldn't of used some substance to gain an edge during their time.

Nothing special is going to happen. He'll break the record, and hold it for a while, and then someone else will either take lots of shit from people or w/e and become the new record holder.

As for people not liking him because of his attitude, that doesn't count for shit either. Lots of great athletes had a cocky, arrogent attitude. Take Muhammad Ali for example. People disliked him during his time, and look at a few dozen years later. No one mentions his attitude, only his skill. The same thing is going to happen with Bonds, like it or not.

Congratulations to Barry Lamarr Bonds on hitting your 756th career Home Run. I live in NY, and the feeling at least in my town is very anti-bonds. I, for one support him, and am very happy with him hitting this Home Run. Whether he took Steroids, or Performance enhancing substances only he and very few others know, but as some of you said before it WAS legal. Am i dismissing his actions, no because any way you look at it taking steroids is morally wrong, and gives you an unfair advantage, but if you look at the seasons following his 73 homer season, he droped to 3 seasons of about 45 and then 5, 26,21 if im not mistaken. That to me shows what usually happens when you stop using performance enhancing substances, a breakdown. As long as he stopped using the drugs when baseball and Bud Selig finally decided to take action then I'm fine with it.

What really bothers me is the fact that so many people put the blame on Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco for using those steroids. Well, if you look at who was running the show (Bud Selig), you have to put just as much blame on him. There's no way that the COMISSIONER of BASEBALL had no idea of what was going on, absolutely no way. I personally would blame Bud Selig for all of this because he sat back and watched Major Leage Baseball make money when Sosa and McGwire battled for 60 and then when Barry went for 73. Now, when it's convenient for Bud Selig to make it seem as if he doesn't support what went on and what might be going on is when he doesn't. But after everything is done, and everyone goes to sleep tonight, tomorrow and until A-Rod breaks it, Barry Lamarr Bonds is the new Home Run Champion.

I really don't care if people use steroids or not. If it gives me a better show to watch, inject that Muscle Juice into their neck for all I care. I get to watch more exciting baseball games (it was never exciting to me to begin with) and I have the satisfaction of knowing it's not my balls that are shrinking.

I actually went to the game that he hit 755 at. Season tickets kick ass.

It's a shame I totally missed 756, I like Bonds, he's a good guy.

Allow me to share a moment between me, my father, and the TV screen...
*emotional setting*
Barry: I want to thank my family, my three beautiful kids, I want to thank the Washington Nationals for their support, my dad-
Dad: You know, Rex, his dad's dead!

YEAH, THANKS FOR RUINING THE MOMENT, ASS.

Bitching about him taking steroids seems pretty pointless imo. Don't even try to say that many other famous home-run hitters wouldn't of used some substance to gain an edge during their time.

Nothing special is going to happen. He'll break the record, and hold it for a while, and then someone else will either take lots of shit from people or w/e and become the new record holder.

As for people not liking him because of his attitude, that doesn't count for shit either. Lots of great athletes had a cocky, arrogent attitude. Take Muhammad Ali for example. People disliked him during his time, and look at a few dozen years later. No one mentions his attitude, only his skill. The same thing is going to happen with Bonds, like it or not.
Cite some sources please. Anyway, even if other famous baseball players used steroids, it does NOT excuse Bonds from using steroids, e.g. the example of not jumping off a cliff if everybody else does it.

Also, just because posterity won't remember does not give him the right to be an ass. Not all great athletes have to have a cocky arrogant attitude. (I can't think of any examples where great athletes are very sociable.) As for me, I think the steroid allegations will still dog him forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)