Based on a solid defensive core, laddering well

So this team started when a friend of mine told me he wanted to use a vaporeon on his team. He asked me who I thought would be a good partner for vaporeon and I him that I thought Goodra would do well as they resist each others weaknesses for the most part and both can run very bulky sets in both defenses while still dishing out solid damage. After I thought about that more and more I started to like it more and more until I went on showdown and made a team, so here it is. It started out in standard OU but I moved to pokebank OU later, which I'll talk about more later.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar

This guy started the whole team. Vaporeon is a best, solid defenses on both sides, good special attack, 30% chance to burn etc. The main reason I like vaporeon is for gigantic wishes and heal bell, unfortunately heal bell is unavailable until pokebank, so decided to use roar because there seems to be tons of baton pass out there these days. Water absorb is also superior to hydration this gen obviously so I don't think I need to explain that. Now the "other half" of my defensive core.

Team so far:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower

Goodra is so beautiful. I love everything about this pokemon, the amazing move pool, stat distribution, abilities, design, everything. I wanted to try out assault vest and this poke seemed perfect for it, I invested fully in defense because assault vest plus 337 SpDef does just fine on its own, although I would change that later. I used gooey cause it seemed interesting and its his unique ability (I think) I haven't really noticed it coming in handy that much though as my team is pretty slow in general. For his moves I had a massive amount of choices but i chose dragon pulse for reliable STAB sludge bomb for fairys and 30% chance to poison (sludge wave is only 10%) dragon tail because I want to phaze but I cant roar with assault vest and its just a good move on a bulky poke and lastly flamethrower for general coverage and reliabilty. This guy beats a lot of pokemon including scizor, rotom-W, aegislash depending on how we play it, gengar and just about every special attack in the game. Amazing pokemon
Team so far:
upload_2013-11-5_3-30-47.jpeg

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 104 SDef / 252 HP / 152 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Old reliable (reliability seems to be a common theme in my teams). Forretress is a good poke on just about any team, but I had a very good reason for using him here. He resists dragon fairy and is immune to poison, which neither of my other walls can do. Steel is just a good type to have, but I chose forretress because I needed a stealth rocker and I wanted a rapid spinner. I love volt switch on forry and I use it on every set and will never change it. Earthquake is just there to beat aegislash with relative ease so no spin blocking for my opponent. The Evs are subject to change, I didn't look at smogons gen 5 set for forry becuase this is a new gen and im trying to figure out the best Evs for me personally, This is what I started with because I like the idea of all 3 of my walls to be able to take physical and special hits, although I change the Evs later.
The team so far:
upload_2013-11-5_3-43-51.jpeg

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic Spikes
- Surf

This guy might be the best starter ever sans blaziken, he also might be the best poke introduced this gen. He is absolutely ridiculous. I decided to go with Toxic spikes because I have 3 good walls and Greninja is really good at getting up 2 layers due to protean giving him resistances no one expects (people seem to predict regular spikes more). U-turn is there because it's the best move in the game so why not. The offensive moves were a difficult choice. I went with standard STAB moves but I currently have grass knot over surf for reasons I will delve into later. Item nature and Evs are typical for a speedy special attacking beast like Greninja
The team so far:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Substitute

Its' time I brought in some raw power, pure unadulterated destruction. I believe his base attack stat while mega is 105. with huge power that comes out to exactly "absolute obliteration of the entire metagame". Intimidate helps with setting up a sub before I got mega. Iron head for fairys Sucker punch cause mawile is slow as hell and play rough because nothing can live. Finally sub because mawile is neither very bulky or fast but it forces tons of switches. The best possible situation is something is locked in on outrage. If you lock yourself into outrage against this team you may as well say good bye to at least 1 pokemon and most likely your whole team. I eventually change iron head for brick break, not sure which I prefer and I may eventually go with fire fang.
The team so far:
upload_2013-11-5_3-51-3.jpeg

After this I needed something that was fast and was purley dedicated to late game sweeping, I tried volcarona because he fit my team (in theory) but in practice he just died. I switched to my personal favorite gen 6 pokemon

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

This bird has one mission. Disintegrate anything that looks at it...then die. Talonflames base 81 is quite misleading, priority brave bird from this guy hurts a lot. Ttar and heatran as well as other rock types laugh at the bird but thats why he is a "late game" sweeper, and if it comes down to it I sometimes can muster up the strength to muscle through heatran with swords dance and roost. Talon flame is able to single handedly destroy and dragon dance user with prior damage, mega blaziken, mega lucario, breloom ferrothorn forretress, skarmory, and more. I tinkered with Evs a lot but i settled on 88 Speed because I wanted to outspeed lucario with max speed and jolly. Talon flame reaches 310 with 88 Evs while lucario reaches something like 307 or 306. This guy will go through significant changes soon but for now here's the set I ran and he served me fairly well
The team so far:
upload_2013-11-5_4-3-34.jpeg

I laddered with this team for a while and was met with much success, but of course I noticed weaknesses. Fighting types give me trouble as well as I have no spin blocker so my toxic spikes often do as much work as I would have liked. I decided to switch vaporeon for a ghost type with similar bulk. This helped with fighting types and allowed me to spin block as well as have more reliable burns for dragonites and things along those lines. Here he is

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

You guys know what he does. He spin blocks, hes bulky as hell, he burns stuff and recovers etc. He's served me brilliantly and he has had really good synergy with mawile in particular. I miss wish passing 200+ HP but the ability to spin block helps me sleep at night. I found out after putting him on my team that he is pokebank exlcusive so I decided to try my hand in that tier. I like pokebank OU a lot better now (just please ban some of the stupid pokemon like wobbafet and mega gengar soon). I've been laddering very well. The final team has had a lot of minor changes so I will post the entire showdown export below and comment on any relevant changes.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower
I just gave him more Sdef to help do what he does best, better. He's basically the same

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
Again just a minor defensive reworking to help him fill his role better

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic Spikes
- Grass Knot
This might look wierd but it made sense to me. I had no grass move on my team so this gives me a powerful grass stab attack. The main reason though is for sleep users. I love hitting smeargle with grass knot and avoiding spore. Also resisting electric is nice when Rotom-W wants to get cute. I do miss surf though so maybe ill put that back on over dark pulse, its tough with greninja because he has so much variety. This has worked well thus far though.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Substitute
Brick break helps a lot for heatran and ferrothorn as well as other steel types. Im thinking of switching to fire fang but then heatran will be a lot of trouble for the team as a whole. He already kinda is.

Talonflame @ Flying Gem
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Bulk Up
This seems to be a superior set in general. 88 Speed Evs seems to be the way to go for my team. Acro with flight gem is a great "oh crap" move because if I let something set up too much i can just obliterate with acrobatics provided I still have the gem. Bulk up seems wierd on paper but in practice it works well, especially with priority roost and I say I think this might be his best set. Swords Dance is still very good though and I might switch back later.

The final team:
upload_2013-11-5_4-3-34.jpeg

Its worked well so far but let me know your thoughts and advice. Feel free to copy the team as well.

Attachments

I tried this team out a bit and I'm really liking it. One concern I have for you is that I think toxic spikes can sometimes be bad for you. If they have someone you would rather burn and they're poisoned already, you can't. Other than this, I've really not liked Jellicent, but I may just not know how to play. I've swept WAY more teams by predicting them and using bulk up on talon flame, then sweeping with priority acrobatics. Pretty nice team, I love the Goodra/Forret combo of tons of tank.

EDIT: I can't stress enough how good Talonflame is on this team. He's probably your most important 'mon 90% of the time. Sucker punch is a good move, but Mawile as a whole has been underperforming for me. Why don't we try replacing Mawile with Azumarill? This is all theorycrafting from someone who hasn't competitively battled since gen 3, so I'm iffy on all of these suggestions.

Last edited:
Adding Azumarill over Mawile would make this team even more electric weak (once Goodra is out of the picture, Sub Jolteon/Agi Megampharos can pretty much clean sweep you).

I'm not sure why you wouldn't use Hydro Pump on Greninja especially on a Life Orb set, it is its strongest attack and really aids in sweeping.

My suggested change would be replacing Jellicent with Gengar; an offensive spin blocker would suit your team more (and with Defog everywhere, I don't see the point in spin blocking personally). You could go SubSplit to be able to possibly beat Blissey one on one, or SubDisable for a more balanced approach.

Last edited:
is there any reason to use sludje bomb on goodra instead of sludje wave? sludje wave has 5 more power same 100% acc and it isnt blocked by bulletproff just saying since you already run toxic spikes anyway the higher poison rate shouldnt be the main atraction.

going to try some of these suggestions. I'll replace jeli with azumaril and mega mawile with mega gengar and then ill change things around from there. I do think I may be too electric weak so there might be more changes ahead. Also i'll put hydro pump on ninja over toxic spikes for a little.

Yeah, from further testing the team is quite electric weak, but it doesn't come up that often imo. Jellicent was always disappointing for me, so I'm glad you replaced him. Like I said before, being unable to burn someone made toxic spikes worse, but now you've already removed both burn AND spikes.

I really like having a way to paralyze on my weaker supports so that they don't just get set up on easily, not sure where that would fit though.

Edit the new team into the OP so people coming late can suggest changes to the right thing I think.

here the current build, its gone through a lot of changes, and its still missing something, any advice would be apreciated i just can't put my finger on it

Goodragon (Goodra) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail
- Power Whip

Bruce Wayne (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Onion (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Spd / 220 Def
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Frog (Greninja) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Ragnorok (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Iron Head

Threat (Talonflame) @ Flying Gem
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)