Bastard Mod Games

So bastard mod games are games where the mod withholds information or mechanics in the aim of causing elements of chaos and such to hopefully make the game more exciting and harder to control for anyone.

I think this (if done well and advertised) would actually go down well with this forum. You already encourage moles and such which have elements of bastard in them. Especially with the mod given fake claims that are a common theme.

So basically I want opinions on what whether this would be well received or not. I have played many bastard games elsewhere and have alot of bastard mechanics that are proven to be enjoyable, quirky and easy to adapt with decent modding.

Troll games have been done, but right now whenever anyone comes to me saying they want to hold them I tell them "no". It's been fun, but enough is enough.

Troll games have been done, and done well, but there have also been other non-troll games with a ton of odd mechanics. Chaos mafia comes to mind, as a lot of the elements of the game were not normal, but still usable.

Games that are not intended to even run will probably not get approved, but any game with any new or interesting (or just funny) mechanics will probably get a chance.

There are some roles used for the purpose of misinformation. These include insane cop (always gives an incorrect result), naive cop (always returns innocent), paranoid cop (always returns guilty), flavor faker (sends users flavor text that actually doesn't mean anything), and item faker (creates useless items with flavor). Games with items also sometimes have items where only one person or team knows what the item does, and the item appears to have a different effect to everyone else.

To some extent, it depends on how much of a bastard you're being. In the game Eep and I hosted, billy's role said it randomly picked one of two effects, when in fact it just switched back and forth between the two. In that sense, it was stupid.

In the same game, though, we had a forced lynchpin kind of thing in the Village that no one was aware of.

The former is something that I think honestly detracts from the gameplay. If people don't know what they can do, or lack some degree of control over it, then why bother playing the game? The latter, however, is the sort of hidden game mechanic that I think contributes to the game in a great way.

Honestly, just with the huge variability of roles that exist on Smogon in a normal game (and the fact that new versions and combinations of roles are constantly springing up), it adds a big degree of chaos and excitement. You never know what you're really up against until you're significantly into the game. And there are plenty of deceptions that happen all over the place (just look at all the lynch shenanigans in MP2, for instance).

So I think trying to go too much farther than where we are ends up like my first example, where it's just too unpredictable to make it worth dealing with. If you want to be crazy and unexpected, try coming up with a role or format that hasn't happened before, since that'll throw people off in a good way.

(This post may be incoherent, since it's almost 2am ?_?)

Edit:

Oh, I just said the same thing billy said, but with examples. Oops :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)