XY OU Bat Machine Core: An OU Balance Team

Hey guys and welcome to my second RMT of 6th gen. After taking a break for a while I decided it was time to get back on the ladder. I realized that my teambuilding was crap, but then I ran into an extremely nice player named Nabilla The Angel who helped me shape the team.

Team Building:

I started out with one of my favorite pokemon, Gliscor. I wanted to try the SpDef set and so I needed a partner. So I turned to an old friend, a physically defensive Resto-Chesto Rotom-W. The core was the building block for the team and works amazingly well for me. This created the Bat Machine Core.

Next up we we needed some attack power so we decided on AV Azumarill, this helped out with keldeo, lati@s, and a myriad of other special attackers that Gliscor can't handle.

We were trying to figure out how to round out the team and we looked at mega-venusaur, until we saw that we were building ourselves one big Gardevoir weakness. For that, and a bit of invaluable speed we added DB+3 Attacks Gengar.

These last two took forever to figure out, we realized that we were lacking an endgame win condition as well as stealth rocks. We looked at Terrakion, Heatran, Mega T-tar, Mega Gardevoir, eventually I suggested Excadrill, which opened up more sweeper options until we decided on Charizard-X to round off the team.

Sets:

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Roost

I haven't used a Gliscor since 5th gen, and boy am I glad I'm using it now. Anti-stall, good check to special defensive threats and a great knock off user, Gliscor has been a great poke to build a team around. The Ev's are pretty standard, 244 Hp for a poison heal number, the 76 speed is so I can taunt other gliscor preventing stealth rocks or whatever else they have planned. The other quirk about this set is that two attacks are REQUIRED. I have had too many times that a mono attacking set has lost a game, because there is no way to touch the flying type/levitator.

Note: I will NOT replace this with Landorus-T, I understand it may be outclassed, but I'm really against using it for this team specifically.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

This thing is beyond words incredible. A great (non-bulky) talon flame check, burns azumarill and becomes a general annoyance to the other team. The reason I'm using rest versus pain split is so that I can absorb status, especially before gliscor comes in and gets poisoned. Other than that, its' a great defensive pivot which checks an amazing amount of pokemon.

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Azumarill is one tough bunny. In my miserable attempts at teambuilding earlier I used a Bellyjet set that worked surprisingly well. The credit for this set goes completely to Nabilla as the assault vest, which I would have never thought of, works wonders. The biggest thing is that this is a great keldeo check, who otherwise pretty much rips through my entire team. Priority aqua jet also helps me get out of sticky situations, like when I accidentaly let a poke dd or rp for free. Overall I've really enjoyed using this azumarill.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Once again gengar haunts my teams, and I'm happy about it. I think that 3 attacks gengar is relatively underrated, it hits so much for massive amounts forcing your opponents into taking SE a coverage move, because you can't resist him. I decided to go with DB rather than sub this time around as I feel that this gengar is about getting rid of a threat rather than staying in. The change from Black Sludge to life orb just compliments the change to a very offensive Gengar, who is the closest thing I have to a scarfer.

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

I'll be honest the last time I used excadrill was in the DW metagame. For those of you who remember it this is where we had Darkrai unbanned, shadow tag Chandelure was a thing, and the entire tier was full of broken pokemon and it was amazing. But I digress, Excadrill fills his hazard control role very well, and while he has quite a few weaknesses, nothing likes switching in on a mold breaker EQ. Excadrill is teaching me how to play around a spinner very well, and my only problem is the water weakness that is semi common on this team.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

After generations of making fun of charizard it finally made it onto my team, and damn if it isn't good. While being reasonably bulky it finds many ways to dd and then sweep. I'm really liking having a dd sweeper again, but for some reason I feel like I'm lacking power, Zard-X seems forced to dd in order to do practically anything. I'm enjoying the poke and it's a fantastic late game cleaner, but I feel like it really does lack early presence.

Importable:
Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 188 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Help I don't know how to make this a spoiler!

Conclusion:
I really like how this team is shaping up, but there are still problems that I'd like fixed. I notice that things like scarfchomp and mega heracross could end up doing some serious damage to this team. I also lack a reliable way to kill Lando-T. I'm open to feedback on almost anything so please, give me a rate!

Last edited:
First of all, I personally would invert the 2 roles of the rotom w and the gliscor. I feel like def gliscor is becoming a more useful set to take care of megas like herracross, zard x since mons like lando i are decreasing in usage. SpDef rotom w does a very nice job of walling greninja, thundy and other SpAtkers. Next, you have a severe lack of speed with this team. Mons like mega manectric, greninja, SD chomp, thundy, mega gyra have an absolute field day against your team. I would personally recommend switching azumarill or rotom w with a smooth rock ttar, which will also support exca and check lati@s (which ravages your team if played well). The Ttar could also have rocks, which lets you run 3 attack exca with spin. Also, I think d bond gengar is a bit too situational. I think that WoW, sub or the taunt stall breaker set would be of more use. Considering the fact that all gengar will be able to d bond are offensive mons with a lower speed. And the rise of scarf ttar/lando t makes that unlikely. Futhermore, mons like keldeo take massive damage from sludge wave anyway, so i just think that for the number of times d bond will be useful isn't worth using it over WoW, sub or taunt.

Ok D3CON I'll take your suggestions one by one

1. Make Gliscor Def and Rotom-W Spdef
I agree with this one, I think this is something I want to experiment with and it gives me a decent check to a lot of physical mons that are giving me trouble.

2. Change Azumarill/Rotom-W with Ttar
This one I really don't think I'm going to do, I lose two massive things in a dragon check and a keldeo check if I leave out azumarill. If I leave out rotom I lose momentum as well as water resistance which I've found I need pretty badly. Overall I don't think this change is worth it.

3. Change DB on Gengar
I have both will o and taunt on other pokes on this team, and if I use sub gengar is going to be worn down extremely quickly. I agree that it seems superfluous, but unless I change the item, I'm not sure which item to change it to.

Thank you for your suggestions and I'll try to report back soon!

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Armanyte i'd like to suggest you some changes to the team:
Tyranitar for Azumarill
You're pretty weak to Latios and TTar is the best choice to trap him.

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

He also give you sand that help Exca sweeping and spinning, but you should change Exca set to this

Excadrill @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

The last suggestion I have to tell you is Char Y instead of Char X

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

He has a better synergy with TTar and Exca!

hope i helped you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)