1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Baton Pass Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by AlvaroXDM, Jan 1, 2013.

1. AlvaroXDM

AlvaroXDM

Well, this is my first Baton Pass team. For what I've read, baton pass teams have grown weak lately, and are not such a good choice now. Yet, I'd like to polish mine, make it more viable (kinda weak atm, or at least, not where I feel it should be) and I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Smeargle
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
    Item: Focus Sash
    Moves:
    -Baton Pass
    -Shell Smash
    -Spore
    -Ingrain

Well, the idea of this smeargle, is to set up ingrain, so I don't get roared or whirwinded. Once settled, I will try to shell smash and baton pass as swiftly as possible. The shell smash on the beggining of the match is a nice start-up boost, and spore is there to buy me more time if I need to before I can baton pass my shell smash (As well as focus sash, in case I get OHKO).
    The EVs are meant to give me some tankyness, and crucial speed to be able to set up shell smash and ingrain without dying.

Next comes Vaporeon, the healer of the party:

Vaporeon
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Speed
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves:
    -Baton Pass
    -Substitute
    -Wish
    -Scald

Well, the extra HP is meant for a better Wish, as well as a better Substitute. I could switch substitute for an ACID armor though, yet I like passing huge Substitutes to my best damage dealers. Scald is meant to deal some damage, plus the burn is a nice add-on.

Espeon
    Nature: Timid
    Ability:Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
    Item: Light Clay
    Moves:
    -Baton Pass
    -Stored Power
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen

The idea on Espeon, is to make him a dual screener, while keeping Stored Power due to it's stab damage and brutal power once my bp chain starts up (With smeargles boost, I already have a 140 base STAB power). It is also meant to make up for the loss on defense due to shell smash, before I can buff it up with something. This will also make Vaporeons brutal substitutes bulkier :).

Mienshao
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 32 HP / 224 Speed
    Item: Life Orb
    Moves:
    -Baton Pass
    -Substitute
    -Hi-Jump Kick
    -Sword Dance

Mienshao has great damage, and so deos Hi-Jump Kick, with Smeargle's buff, it can strike quite a punch. Substitute is meant to make up for it's not so impressive defenses, which will be buffed by Espeon, plus, since he heals when switching out, he can use substitute efficently.

Scizor
    Nature:Adamant
    Ability:Technician
    EVs: 40 Atk / 216 Def / 252 Sp. Def
    Item: Life Orb
    Moves:
    -Baton Pass
    -Bullet Punch
    -Bug Bite
    -Sword Dance

Scizor is built more defensively, since he has no substitute, relatively low HP, and no passive like Mienshao to heal out. Since he does have a nice defense, and a not-so-bad Sp. Def, this this boosts, plus the 50% extra from Espeon, he is able to survive a couple of punches, enough to switch to Vaporeon to heal (wish), and take out those pesky fire-types (Scizors main dissadvantage). Since he already has a nice damage, and due to his technician, I thought bullet punch and bug bite would be enough (stab damage + technician), so the 4th slot was kind of free. I chose Sword Dance in case it was more convenient to choose him than Mienshao, so he could also boost his damage. Yet I'm not sure about this, maybe Roost would be better? Or another offensive move?.
    He also has baton pass, to be able to continue the chain, just as Mienshao, and to back to get Vaporeon's wish.

Gliscor
    Nature:Careful
    Ability:Poison Heal
    EVs: 248 HP / 24 Sp. Def / 236 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Moves:
    -Baton Pass
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -Earthquale

The careful nature is meant to make up for Gliscor bad sp. def, which in combination with his def, Espeon boost, and the heal of the Poison Heal and HP EV, should make Gliscor a little bit more resistant. Toxic is meant to slowly, or not so slowly, tear walls down, without taking too much damage (the entire team has heals and plenty of substitutes). Since earthquake is an all around move, pretty good against almost everything, I thought it would be a nice add-on (Considering the boosts, it should have a good punch).

So, the main type weakness of the team are:
    Vaporeon: electric (x2) grass (x2)
    Espeon: bug (x2) ghost (x2) dark (x2)
    Mienshao: flying (x2) psychic (x2)
    Scizor: fire (x4)
    Gliscor: water (x2) ice (x4)
    (Smeargle will die from almost anything, and his main purpose is to set up ingrain and shell break so I don't really take him into account)
    So, most dangeours types are ICE and FIRE. Both are weak against Vaporeon, who's bulky, heals and makes substitutes.

As for my damaging skills (weakness and resisted skills):
    Vaporeon: Good (Fire/Ground/Rock) Weak (Dragon/Grass/Water)
    Espeaon: Good (Fight/Poison) Weak (Pyschic/Steel) Resisted (Dark)
    Mienshao: Good (Normal/Ice/Rock) Weak (Poison/Flying/Psychic/Bug) Resisted (Ghost)
    Scizor (Bullet Punch): Good (Ice/Bug) Weak (Fire/Water/Electric/Steel)
    Scizor (Bug Bite): Good (Grass/Psychic/Dark) Weak(Fire/Fight/Poison/Flying/Ghost/Steel)
    Gliscor: Good (Fire/Electric/Poison/Rock/Steel) Weak (Grass/Bug) Resisted (Flying).

All in all, my main problem would Flying (No super-effective against them and they resist ground)

I hope you guys can help me out. I'm quite new to this, and proably have several noob mistakes, and loads of things to learn :D. Happy new year! :).
    Alvaro.
  2. Kidogo

Kidogo

This isn't really a proper rate, but thought I'd share my thoughts. It's very difficult to rate a BP team since they play so differently from standard teams. However, I would suggest a slightly different focus for your BP team. In general, BP teams use espeon as the primary sweeper, with the rest of the team focused on accruing boosts to pass to it. A good sweeping moveset for espeon is Stored Power / Baton Pass / Substitute / Hidden Power [Fighting]. I suggest you take a look at this RMT for a look at "standard" BP.
    GL with the team!
  3. flamingfire77

flamingfire77

Perish Song wrecks your team while the other team may set up. That is all.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)