Battle! Mewtwo 15026 vs. Athenodros (Ref - Ducklett, MATCH OVER)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome aboard, ladies and gents, to another pulse-pounding edition of Smogon's CAP ASB! Before we begin, I am your host; my friends call me Duck, but you can just call me ref. Let's take a closer look at today's match:

1v1 Singles
DQ: 2 days, but post ASAP anyway.
2 uses of Rest/Recover and 5 chills per Pokemon
No Items
No Abilities
Arena: Water Temple Boss Chamber
This is the terminal chamber in the Zoras' infamous temple. It takes an eternity and a half to get in but no more than 4 minutes to get out. Morpha is (thankfully) gone, but the room has been refilled with water for aesthetic and strategic purposes.

The arena is a 60-foot square with ceilings 20 feet high. Except for the corners, the perimeter walls are lined with spikes; these spikes deal middling damage to whatever hits them. In the middle is a square pool of self-replenishing water, 20 feet deep and 40 feet on all 4 sides. In the pool are 4 square platforms, 10 feet on all sides, and 6.5 feet away from solid ground on all sides. The chamber is lined with sturdy tile that cannot be broken or dug into.

.._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|..._._._._._._._._...| ...Note that the actual room isn't
|..|--_._.--_._.-..|..| ...all crooked on the right side.
|..|-|....|-|....|-.|..| ...Also, ignore the dots; I had to
|..|-|_._|-|_._|-.|..| ...use those instead of spaces so
|..|--_._.--_._.-.|..| ... the diagram wouldn't get compressed
|..|-|....|-|....|-.|..| ... in the actual post.
|..|-|_._|-|_._|-.|..|
|..|._._._._._._._.|..|
|_._._._._._._._._._.|

|> 10ft (platform) | 6.5ft (water) | 10ft (plat/wtr) | 6.5ft (water) | 10ft (plat/wtr) | 6.5ft (water) | 10ft (platform) <|
And now, let's take a closer look at our competitors! First, the match seeker - genetic superbeing and Pokemon battle enthusiast, Mewtwo 15026!

Mudkip(*) Vladdy (M)
Nature: Relaxed

Type: Water
Water: Water STAB; Can breathe and have excellent mobility when underwater, are less capable on land unless they are entirely amphibious. Splash and Ice Moves have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:

HP: 90
Atk: ***
Def: *** (+ nature)
SpA: **
SpD: **
Spe: 34

RELAXED: Adds * to Defense; a 15% decrease (rounded down) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on an opponent's attacks.

EC: 0/9
MC: 0
DC: 0/5

Abilities:

Torrent: (Innate) When this Pokemon’s HP is lower than 33%, the base damage of any water attack is increased by two (2). (eg Water Pulse goes from 6 to 8, Hydro Pump from 12 to 14)

Damp (DW): (Innate) This Pokemon releases a damp mist upon entry into battle that short circuits the opponent’s ability to use Selfdestruct or Explosion.

Attacks:

(*)Tackle
(*)Growl
(*)Mud-Slap
(*)Water Gun
(*)Bide
(*)Foresight
(*)Mud Sport
(*)Counter
(*)Mirror Coat
(*)Avalanche
(*)Dig
(*)Boiling Water
(*)Rock Slide

Challenging him is Athenodros, who I can't think of anything clever to say about (but I won't hold that against him!):

Male Dratini (*), "Nidhogg"

Nature: Hasty. A 15% increase (rounded up) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on this Pokemon's attacks. Subtracts * from Defence.
Type: Dragon - Dragon STAB; Roar has Energy Cost reduced by one (1). (Dragonite line can breathe underwater.)
Stats: 41 / 64 / 45 / 50 / 50 / 50

Def: * (-)
Spe: 58 (+)

EC: 0/6

Abilities:
Shed Skin - (Innate) This Pokemon regularly sheds its skin and any impurities contained in its body. If afflicted with a status condition, this Pokemon has a 33% chance of removing all status conditions at the end of a round.
Marvel Scale (DW) - (Innate) This Pokemon’s coat shimmers when afflicted with a status condition, reducing the damage received from physical attacks by two (2).

Attacks:
Wrap (*)
Leer (*)
Thunder Wave (*)
Twister (*)
Dragon Rage (*)
Slam (*)
Agility (*)
Dragon Pulse (*)
Extremespeed (*)
Haze (*)
Rain Dance (*)
Thunder (*)
Surf (*)

Male Mudkipz (*), "Poseidon"

Nature: Brave. A 15% decrease (rounded down) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on an opponent's attacks. This seems weird. Perhaps someone can confirm? Adds * to Attack.
Type:
Water - Water STAB; Can breathe and have excellent mobility when underwater, are less capable on land unless they are entirely amphibious. Splash and Ice Moves have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).
Stats: 50 / 70 / 50 / 50 / 50 / 40

Atk: **** (+)
Def: **
Spe: 33 (-)

EC: 0/6

Abilities:
Torrent - (Innate) When this Pokemon’s HP is lower than 33%, the base damage of any water attack is increased by two (2). (eg Water Pulse goes from 6 to 8, Hydro Pump from 12 to 14)
Damp (DW) - (Innate) This Pokemon releases a damp mist upon entry into battle that short circuits the opponent’s ability to use Selfdestruct or Explosion.

Attacks:
Tackle (*)
Growl (*)
Mud-slap (*)
Water Gun (*)
Bide (*)
Foresight (*)
Mud Sport (*)
Counter (*)
Mirror Coat (*)
Avalanche (*)
Surf (*)
Rain Dance (*)
Waterfall (*)

So, without any further delay, let's get this match started! Your first round sequence of events is as follows:

Since Mewtwo only has Vladdy the Mudkip on his team, Athenodros will send out his Pokemon first and choose his actions for the round
Following that, Mewtwo will choose his actions for the round

Pokemon is a spectator sport, you two, so give 'em a good match!

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Okay, then, I think Nidhogg can have this battle. Out you come, Nidhogg!

Nature: Hasty

Alright then, Nidhogg. CounterCoat is a dangerous strategy if you are moving second, so we'll have to play it safe this round. Start off with a Thunder Wave, and continue with a Rain Dance. Finish off with Haze if he has had any stat-changing moves. If he hasn't, then use Thunder Wave or Rain Dance if it didn't work out the first time and if they both did then just use Leer.

All right, Vladdy, lead with Mud-Slap to try to intercept the Thunder Wave (or AT LEAST hurt its accuracy). Next, dress yourself in a fine suit of Mud Sport! Finally, summon an Avalanche to knock that worm into the drink!

Mud-Slap~Mud Sport~Avalanche

Mudkip(*) Vladdy (M)

Water: Water STAB; Can breathe and have excellent mobility when underwater, are less capable on land unless they are entirely amphibious. Splash and Ice Moves have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:

Nature: Hasty. A 15% increase (rounded up) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on this Pokemon's attacks. Subtracts * from Defence.
Type: Dragon - Dragon STAB; Roar has Energy Cost reduced by one (1). (Dragonite line can breathe underwater.)

Today's matchup is a very special one, folks, because today, we are transcending the barriers of time and space to bring you this broadcast from an entirely different gaming universe. That's right - our two combatants are throwing down the gauntlet in the scenic Water Temple at the bottom of beautiful Lake Hylia.

This temple has had a rich history, first as a place of worship for the aquatic Zoras, and later as a bastion of twisted, Lovecraftian monstrosities. Today though, we have a straight-up, motherfucking brawl!

As you can see, in the center pool, we have four platforms. Starting diagonally from one another are our challengers, Athenodros and Mewtwo!

And there's a flash of red light, letting us know that the Pokemon are finally coming out! On Athenodros' platform, I see... ah, it's his trusty Dratini, Nidhogg! He may be a Dragon type, but his semi-aquatic nature makes him a good choice on this watery battlefield.

On the opposite platform - it's Vladdy the Mudkip! A water type, Mudkip will also have an advantage in the arena today. I'm willing to bet that we'll see some spectacular aquatic maneuvers from these two.

Oh-- the trainers are barking their orders -- and they're off! Nidhogg's snout is crackling with electricity! And he's unleashed the energy, it's a Thunder Wave! But it looks like Vladdy was prepared for something like this - he belches out a Mud Slap to protect himself --

But what's this!? As the two attacks collide, it looks like the water content of the mud is conducting some of the electricity of the Thunder Wave! It's heading toward Vladdy -- it's a hit! Albeit, a weakened one - Vladdy's muscles seem to be undergoing light spasms, but this is much better than it could have been.

Nidhogg, on the other hand got some mud in his eyes - but he doesn't seem to be interested in attacking quite yet. It looks like he's beginning to undulate back and forth, as if he were being serenaded by a snake charmer - I see, we're starting to see some perspiration in the arena - it's a Rain Dance! On the other end of the arena, it looks like Vladdy is playing it safe this round too - despite his partial Paralysis, he's able to coat himself in a protective layer of mud - I believe we call that the Mud Sport technique.

Dratini isn't phased by a little mud, though - he's putting on his most fearsome game face and Leering at Vladdy! Or he would be, if he was facing the right direction. He hasn't fully cleared the mud out of his eyes. It looks like Vlad is done preparing though, because his face is taught in concentration - and would you look at that, some of the rain above Nidhogg is solidifying! It's crashing down on him with the force of an Avalanche! He is not gonna appreciate that ice-type move!

At the end of the round, both of the Pokemon remain in their starting positions - on diagonal platforms opposite one another. In addition, the rain is beginning to take it's toll on the arena - water has started to slosh onto the platforms. If that rain keeps going, this whole match is going to end up under water!

For the next round of actions, Mewtwo will start, followed by Athenodros.

Mudkip(*) Vladdy (M)

Stats:

STATUS - 10% Paralysis

HP: 74

((If any of the calcs seem vastly out-of-whack, or if I've done something wrong, feel free to call me out. I'm doing my best, but this is my first time. I wanna get it right :x))

((EDIT: Derp, can't believe I mixed the two Mudkips up. I accidentally copied from Athenodoros' page D: The calcs I did based on Vladdy though, so those should be accurate, unless I used the spreadsheet wrong.))

The reason it seems weird is because my Mudkip's name isn't Poseidon, and its nature is Relaxed instead of Brave, so you may need to redo your damage calculation. XD

Other than that, it's A-O-good. And Pokemon Colosseum music FTW.

All right, Vladdy, let's heat things up with Scald, aka Boiling Water! Let's see if we can cripple Nidhogg with a burn. Follow it up with a Mud-Slap to create more accuracy issues. Finish the round with Avalanche!

If it tries Thunder, retaliate with Mirror Coat!

Scald/Boiling Water (2 names for the same attack)~Mud-Slap~Avalanche
Change any of these to Mirror Coat if Thunder is used.

Athenodoros

Nidhogg, I want you to use Dragon Pulse three times. With all the water around, the pulse should travel through it and not have too many accuracy issues, and the combined friction might leave enough heat around the place to cool down the avalanche.

Dragon Pulse => Dragon Pulse => Dragon Pulse

Nidhogg
HP: 74
Energy: 79

Vladdy
Energy: 86

By now, the water level in the temple has risen to the trainers' mid-shin - Nidhogg appears to be able to keep his head above water, but Vladdy is almost completely submerged - good thing his water typing ensures that he remains unaffected.

It looks like Nidhogg is trying to use the water and the properties of Dragon Pulse to his advantage - he's lowering his head, firing the attack into the water - and the waves of energy connect! It's a solid hit on Vladdy! He's not gonna take that lying down though - the Mudkip is shaking himself off... it looks like steam is rising from the water around him! Using his tail, he sends a burst of Boiling Water at Nidhogg! It connects! -- Fortunately for Dratini, it looks like he's avoided sustaining a burn this time.

Perhaps confident after his last move, Nidhogg fires off another Dragon Pulse! Vladdy is thrust back by the force of his opponent's move -- but he's quick to rebound, coughing another Mud Slap out of his mouth. The mud travels over the arena -- it's a hit! Nidhogg takes a face full of mud!

Dratini seems to be struggling to find his target -- he launches another Dragon Pulse into the water, but it's no good. Vladdy on the other hand is concentrating -- it's another Avalanche! And after sustaining so much damage this round, Vladdy is gonna make it hurt -- wait, Vladdy's been struck by something too!? It's the rebound from Nidhogg's last Dragon Pulse! The physical properties of the pulse must've allowed it to travel through the water and rebound. It's a diminished hit, but surely not one that Vladdy appreciated!

Nidhogg
HP: 28
Energy: 53%

Vladdy
HP: 60
Energy: 71%

Vladdy sustained a good amount of damage this round, but that Ice-type Avalanche is really laying the hurt on poor Nidhogg. Can he and his trainer turn this around?

It's Atheno's turn to give orders, followed by Mewtwo!

Athenodoros

Jesus, Nidhogg, you're taking a beating out there. Didn't think any of that would do nearly so much damage.

What I want you to do is to jump into the water. We all know ice floats, so
Avalanche shouldn't be able to touch you, and mud from Mud Shot should just disperse when it hits the water. Then use Haze, using the mud in your eyes, so that you won't be troubled by accuracy. Finally use Twister to create a giant whirlpool in the middle of the room. Mudkip should be thrown off a bit, and you should be able to hide in the chaos.

All right, Vladdy, you're doing great! I suspect this battle won't last too much longer. But eh, what do I know?

STAY ON LAND FOR THE ENTIRE ROUND. DON'T GO NEAR THE CENTER OF THE ROOM.

Ice floats, but rocks don't! Once Nidhogg dives into the water, hit it with Rock Slide! Next, use Foresight to try and keep tabs on it, then finish the round by firing Boiling Water at Nidhogg (if it's not in the Twister) or into the Twister (if it is).

Rock Slide~Foresight~Boiling Water

Nidhogg
HP: 28

Vladdy
HP: 60
Energy: 71%

Nidhogg sustained some heavy damage last round, but it doesn't look like he's ready to give in - his trainer has ordered him into the water! Underwater, Dratini moves with the precision and majestic grace that is the one of the hallmarks of his type. Vladdy is also trying to position himself strategically - he appears to be searching for a dry spot, but because of the rainfall earlier, the entire room has been flooded; the trainers are knee-deep, meaning that Vladdy has got to paddle to keep his head above water. He seems to be concentrating, though, and-- the temple has begun shaking! Several pieces of the ancient ceiling are beginning to cave in! It's a Rock Slide attack! The stones are falling at considerable speed, but it looks like hitting the water is slowing some of that momentum -- Nidhogg is dodging the rocks gracefully -- oh, but he wasn't quick enough to avoid them all!

But he isn't taking long to recover - the Dratini is beginning to emit a Haze that's spreading throughout the watery arena. I can't see a thing down there! Vladdy isn't going to let that stop him though - his eyes are glinting with a light that looks to me like a Foresight technique! Nidhogg is going to be hard pressed to hide from Vladdy now--

Although, he may not need to! The water of the arena is churning like-- yes, it's a Twister attack! And it's beginning to form a vicious whirlpool! Those trainers better get to safety-- and it looks like Vladdy is being swept away in the current! But his water typing is allowing him some degree of control - I think I see some steam rising - yes, Vladdy has let loose some Boiling Water into the current! I think I heard a cry from within the whirlpool -- Vladdy's attack has connected! But with the current moving as fast as it is, dispersing the water at the rate that it does, I doubt the attack was able to achieve a burn.

Nidhogg
HP: 17
Energy: 39%

Vladdy
HP: 53

All right, Vladdy, we got this!

Boiling Water~Boiling Water~Boiling Water

Change any of these to:

If he uses Dragon Pulse, Surf, or Thunder: Mirror Coat
If he uses Slam, Wrap, or Extremespeed: Counter
If he surfaces for long enough: Avalanche

Athenodoros

My God Counter Coat is broken.

Okay, hide just under the ice left over from the Avalanche, where Boiling Water will not touch you. Then, use Thunder against the water so that Mudkip will not use Mirror Coat. Finally, use Wrap from in the water to bring Mudkip down to get electrocuted, which should do a lot of damage because of the Salt Water.

Nidhogg
HP: 17
Energy: 39%

Vladdy
HP: 53

The underwater mist is beginning to clear, as is the whirlpool... I can see a shape under the water! It's Nidhogg, making his way to the icy remnants of Vladdy's Avalanches! He's had a rough couple of rounds, but it looks like the Dratini's trainer still has a few tricks up his sleeve! Vladdy responds by sending a jet of Boiling Water Nidhogg's way, but the ice is serving as an effective shield - he can't touch Dratini while he's playing so defensively.

The air in the temple is beginning to crackle-- I think I see sparks-- it's a Thunder attack! Nidhogg is back on the offensive! Unfortunately, it looks like Vladdy is prepared to reflect the blow though, because-- wait, he didn't strike Mudkip!? The lightning went straight into the water! A brilliant move from Nidhogg's trainer -- the water is conducting the electricity around the entire arena! Poor Vladdy no longer has a piece of land to stand on after the rain from the early game -- that's really gonna hurt! The electricity is slightly weakened by virtue of the fact that it's being distributed evenly throughout the water - but make no mistake, Vladdy definitely looks worse for the wear after that brutal strike. But he's not ready to give in yet! He fires a Scald Nidhogg's way, not doing any damage but melting his cover. Dratini isn't gonna be able to hide anymore!

Although it looks like he doesn't intend to -- he's jetting through the water, converging on Vladdy's position -- he's got him all Wrapped up! But this may be a favorable position for Mudkip -- he fires a jet of Boiling Water at point blank range! That's gotta hurt! Nidhogg releases Vladdy in recoil!

Nidhogg
HP: 10
Energy: 24%

Vladdy
HP: 34
Energy: 47%

Both of these Pokemon are getting down to their last legs! A decisive hit from either corner could be the one that ends the match! Athenodoros will be the next trainer to issue an action -- let's see how the drama unfolds!

Athenodoros

He hasn't been paralysed once?
And I believe that if special => Mirror Coat, if physical => Counter was decided to be broken. But somehow I doubt it will matter at this point.

Oh well. We're starting to look a bit better. Use Agility to hide just under the ice again to dodge his attacks faster than he can let them out. Once you're there, use Twister to whip up some water all around the arena and hopefully even catch up Mudkip, and then give everything you have in a huge Thunder, combining with the twister and using it to direct all of the electric power you have towards Mudkip. Maybe we can knock it out before it can use Mirror Coat given Mudkip will be swimming in water at the time.

Agility => Twister + Thunder

He hasn't been paralysed once?
((Trust me, I'm just as floored as you are; I'm running the RNG with every action, but the numbers for paralysis just aren't coming up :x notice too that Vladdy hasn't been able to score a burn -- the RNG just isn't in anybody's favor this match :x I hope it doesn't seem like I'm favoring one side over another, I'm really trying my best here, hehe ><))

Nidhogg
HP: 10
Energy: 24%

Vladdy
HP: 34
Energy: 47%

It looks like Nidhogg is beginning this round by looking for cover from the onslaught he knows is coming -- unfortunately, Vladdy was able to melt all of the protective ice in the last round of actions; the Dratini is going to need to rely on his reflexes this time if he's going to survive Mudkip's attacks unscathed. And it looks like that's exactly his plan, because Nidhogg's become little more than a blur to this commentator - he's using his natural Agility! Vladdy is sending more ancient architecture into the water with his Rock Slide, but he just can't score a hit on the speedy dragon!

The water is beginning to get a bit choppy -- and it's forming a whirlpool! Nidhogg has used his Twister again! Vladdy is once again trapped in the vortex, although he's able to maintain a degree of control due to his aquatic nature. He summons another Rock Slide into the arena -- and this time, it's a hit! Nidhogg was not able to concentrate on his attack and dodge all of the rocks simultaneously -- luckily for him, the impact velocity was reduced by the water. He's holding on, but only by a hair.

--Oh, but I'm hearing a telltale crackle - and there's the sparks! Nidhogg has summoned a devastating bolt of Thunder, straight into the vortex of the twister! And excellent maneuver -- Vladdy is trying to bounce the onslaught back with his Mirror Coat, but as it was not a direct attack, he's only able to mitigate some of the damage.

Nidhogg
HP: 2
Energy: 6%

Vladdy
HP: 14
Energy: 26%

Mewtwo has the next round of commands!

I have a feeling that this'll be the last round, Vladdy.

Start with a Boiling Water; it can't submerge to dodge that! Follow it up with a Rock Slide and another dose of Boiling Water!

Scald~Rock Slide~Scald

Athenodoros

Well, Nidhogg, you did well. Any bit of hax would have won it, by the looks of things. Use Twister into his boiling water to send it back at him, and then use Twister one more time if he needs finishing off. It shouldn't be too hard because you are so much faster than him, and he might even be flinched by the Twister (God knows it is about time he did). If you have a turn to play with, then chill at the end, because you can't really do much else.

Nidhogg
Energy: 6%

Vladdy
HP: 14
Energy: 26%

This is it, folks - the final round! Both Pokemon can sense it, and the tension is palpable.

Nidhogg's speed allows him the first strike! He whips up another powerful Twister into the arena! Vladdy is taking a beating from the vortex -- but it looks like he's regained his composure! Steam is radiating away from Mudkip -- this is his final stand!

Vladdy fires a massive spout of Boiling Water! This is it folks, this may be the end -- hold on, Nidhogg is making one last-ditch maneuver! It looks like he's trying to alter the flow of the Twister, hoping to redirecting the scalding jet back at Vladdy! The colliding water currents are creating too much steam -- it's impossible to see down there! Which attack was stronger -- Vladdy's Boiling Water or Nidhoggs Twister?

The steam is beginning to clear -- I'm seeing bubbles on the surface of the water -- one of the Pokemon is about to emerge...

It's Vladdy! He's hanging on by a just a thread -- it looks like Nidhogg's Twister simply couldn't maintain the power it needed to fully redirect Vladdy's scalding assault.

Regardless of the end result, both Pokemon fought hard, and it was a truly close match. Vladdy commanded the early game and packed some of the hardest hitting attacks, but Nidhogg used superior tactics to his advantage and had some of the most impressive maneuvers of the game -- it could've easily gone either way. Congratulations to both trainers for a great match.

Nidhogg
HP: 0
Energy: 0%

Vladdy
Energy: 20%

GG indeed. Any battle that comes down to 2 HP is a good battle. I like how you used the environment to do crazy things to my attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)