Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haha yeah DrZoidburglar, I forgot you were using Assault Vest Machamp. Item clause makes me kinda sad, I can't use Assault Vest Goodra and Tyranitar on the same team either D;

Anyway, you could try another item, like Lum Machamp or Specs Goodra. I'd recommend giving Goodra the Assault Vest, since Goodra has a ton of useful resistances to take advantage of, but if you're dead set on using AV Machamp there are alternative items for Goodra that will probably work.

Lum Machamp or Specs Goodra. I'd recommend giving Goodra the Assault Vest, since Goodra has a ton of useful resistances to take advantage of, but if you're dead set on using AV Machamp there are alternative items for Goodra that will probably work.
Lum berry is an interesting idea... Maybe I'll try:

Switching AV for lum berry on Machamp
Switching Breloom for AV Goodra
Switching Zapdos for Skarmory
Switching Gengar for Mawile.

That keeps the 3 Pokemon I'm happy with mostly intact, and switches out the 3 I wasn't sold on. I still don't really have a great Talonflame counter though.. I'd imagine that Skarmory could at least force it to hurt itself very badly?

Also, general team building question: when playtesting a new team like this is it advisable to make this many alterations at once? Or do people generally only switch one teammate at a time?

Edit: sorry for posting so much with all the noob questions!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
No, you can make as many changes to your team as you'd like, provided you can be bothered to do all that training at once :) The 3v3 meta is bloody hard to prepare for as HO and Stall are difficult to pull off with only 3 mons at a time, leaving Balance as the best archetype, and preparing for as many threats as possible can be an almost impossible task. If you need to change several things at once in order to get around, say, Mega Venusaur or Talonflame, then so be it I guess :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right, sorry. It was late when I was posting, I get the Iron head thing now. I already have a Mawile bred, so I'll try swapping Gengar out for her. She could serve as a check to choice-banded Garchomp too right?

Skarmory's not a bad idea either, and I have one with with standard SR set. is SR worth it in 3v3 or is there another move that would fill that slot better? I feel like getting rid of zapdos might open me up to talonflame, but I guess the combination of SR and extremespeed Dragonite could do the trick.

I'll play around with those when I get home from work and rewrite my team post based on how that goes. I'll try messing around with Kanga's moves too.

Finally, what are your thoughts on Breloom? I'm not entirely sold on him but I don't know what else to do about opposing spore users. It scares other people off of using their own brelooms and wrecks smeargle.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ah right, I hadn't considered Zapdos' ability to check Talonflame. Skarmory could also stop the brave bird spam but fears flare blitz.

I use stealth rock on my ferrothorn (my choice of kanga check) and I think it's great. I haven't seen rapid spin or defog once iirc, and it's good for talonflame and charizard.

I haven't used Breloom much myself but I know it must be good as it's on our battle spot leaderboard here. Venusaur does the same job well (which I've used a bit over Ferro as well). Could always slap some safety goggles on something and call it a day..

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah DrZoidburglar don't be afraid to make a ton of changes, I've found that teambuilding in 3v3 is a lot different than in 6v6. In 6v6 you build around a team goal like a sweep, but in 3v3 you're basically just making sure you can check every threat. There aren't exactly "roles" to fill like in 6v6 goal-oriented teams, so it's alright to just put in Pokemon that cover certain threats without worrying if they fulfill certain team support or anything like that.

Anyway don't worry about asking noob questions, I'm still pretty new and ask a lot of them myself =_= if you ever want to have a practice battle or something, feel free to VM me to exchange friend codes!

You could just Iron Head them with Mega Mawile. Swords Dance when they Minimize and it'd pretty much be a OHKO if Clefable doesn't have a few Cosmic Powers up.

Mega Mawile synergizes really well with a Dragon partner such as Dragonite or Garchomp.

How does Zapdos counter Kanga?

Also you really have nothing to switch into a Mega Mawile...
Mythtrainer I took your advice and subbed in Mawile (instead of Gengar), and she worked beautifully the one time I ran into Clefable today. Thanks for the advice.

Also have both a Skarmory and a Ferrothorn on hand, trying them both out in place of Zapdos so I have something to counter kanga with. Didn't run into any(!) kangas in the 11 battles I played today, so no opinion there yet...

Once I'm done breeding Goodra I'll mess around with the team composition some more. I got wrecked by a Cofagrius and a defensive will-o-wisp/roost Talonflame today, and Lum berry Machamp would have definitely saved me from the talon, and maybe from the Cofagrius. Once I make those switches, I'll repost the team.

And speaking of Goodra, what do people think of Modest with 244HP / 244SpA / 20Spe to out speed max speed adamant Azumarill and Mawile? Is it worth the attack drop on dragon tail?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! (And someone please tell me if I'm posting in this thread too much, I don't know the board's general outlook on #of posts per day/thread here...)

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You could just Iron Head them with Mega Mawile. Swords Dance when they Minimize and it'd pretty much be a OHKO if Clefable doesn't have a few Cosmic Powers up.
Except most Clefable run unaware for this reason. You can ohko it if it hasn't boosted with cosmic power yet, otherwise after it gets +1 it can stall out with minimize and moonlight. The best way to stop it is a dark type as most run stored power as it's only attacking move. If they run toxic instead then any steel or poison type or a taunt user can shut it down...

Mythtrainer I took your advice and subbed in Mawile (instead of Gengar), and she worked beautifully the one time I ran into Clefable today. Thanks for the advice.

Also have both a Skarmory and a Ferrothorn on hand, trying them both out in place of Zapdos so I have something to counter kanga with. Didn't run into any(!) kangas in the 11 battles I played today, so no opinion there yet...

Once I'm done breeding Goodra I'll mess around with the team composition some more. I got wrecked by a Cofagrius and a defensive will-o-wisp/roost Talonflame today, and Lum berry Machamp would have definitely saved me from the talon, and maybe from the Cofagrius. Once I make those switches, I'll repost the team.

And speaking of Goodra, what do people think of Modest with 244HP / 244SpA / 20Spe to out speed max speed adamant Azumarill and Mawile? Is it worth the attack drop on dragon tail?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! (And someone please tell me if I'm posting in this thread too much, I don't know the board's general outlook on #of posts per day/thread here...)
Don't worry too much about losing to weird stuff like Cofagrigus etc. You can't prepare for everything and with all the Japanese running around you're bound to run into something funny. Also, as long as you don't double post (twice or more in a row (use the edit button!)) you'll be fine!

Hulavuta

Yeah don't worry, there's no rule against having many posts, especially when they're long enough and productive. Honestly, I'm sure we all welcome it, this forum doesn't get quite that many posts!

Anyway, back on topic, I think Skarmory or Ferrothorn could both work but I prefer Skarmory personally for the instant recovery and the fact it can deal with more physical attackers. It also can survive stuff like Blaziken or Infernape if you need to take a clutch hit.

Poster above me suggested I try this thread for a team I came up with:

KeyToJoy (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Play Rough
- Spikes
Notes: Lead.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Shroomight (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
Notes: Although I could replace Fire Punch with Extremespeed, I feel I should have another counter to steel-types, I think. But then again Earthquake.

Moxin (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Protect
- Wish
Notes: This is like my king in chess. I rely on Wish a lot, lol.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
Notes: Obviously my Rapid Spinner.

Last edited:
This is my current team so far:

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

My MMom counter and one of the most amazing stallmons if the opponent is not prepared. Taunt is so useful against Breloom or set up sweepers, WoW cripples physical threats and Foul Play is for STAB. Sitrus Berry allow us to fail one WoW or miss predict a physical attack and go for Taunt on the first turn.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- King's Shield

It's one of my Garchomp counter for TTar. It switches into an EQ and just kill it with HP Ice. Flash Cannon is for faes and STAB, but it might go for Shadow Sneak.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

My main sweeper. With no DD it's big, after a DD it's a monster. Sand Stream helps with sashes, Crunch is for STAB and EQ because I don't need more ice attacks and non-contact physical attacks are always nice. Stone Edge over Rock Slide for the higher damage but I might switch them.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

This guy is amazing. I've faced lots of Blazikens, Azumarills and Talonflames and Quasire just owns them. Scald for burning down physical threads, EQ for STAB, Toxic to stall and Recover is mandatory. I might switch Toxic for Yawn, though. It's also pretty useful against Minimize users since Unaware pass through evasion boosts, and ParaSwag Klefki can do nothing against it.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- U-turn

This is my main lead. Hydro Pump is to hit hard, Ice Beam for Lati@s, Garchomp and Gliscor, Extrasensory for M_Venusaur and Fighting types and U-Turn for momentum and breaking sashes.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

M-Venusaur makes an excelent defensive core paired with Sableye and Quagsire. HP Fire is the only fire attack in my team so I have to be careful if the opponent carries Ferrothorn or Scizor because this guy becomes a valuable pokemon. It counters Azumarilla and other water/fairy/grass types and can stall forever a poisoned opponent.

With the new breeding mechanics, even someone like me, with not enough time to devote to gaming in general, can have a competitive team. I've been running this in the Battle Spot, trying to find something that works for me. In the past, I've tended to play offensive teams and my favorites have been tanks with a strong offensive presence.

EDIT: Summer vacation and Wonder Trade have been kind to me - is it just me or is the latter getting better? A couple of months ago, all I got was route 2 derps, but now I get 3-4 IV breedning leftovers all the time. It's allowed me to breed some new mons despite my lack of a Ditto safari. The team has changed quite a bit, and I can't seem to settle even on 6 regulars, but this is what I'm using right now. I've also had my fiancé name the lot, so they all have dorky, Swedish names. They don't show up, but I'll edit them in here for the giggles.

The main 6:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers ** Elvis
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Protect might seem iffy, but 3 on 3 often means matches are short and teams are on the offensive side quite heavily, meaning I don't have time for Rest (although ChestoRest might be fine, I've yet to properly test that). I don't have access to a Pain Split Rotom with good IV's, which would otherwise take Protect's spot. The rest is fairly standard, I needed a good answer to Talonflame and other scary physical threats, and Rotom-W happens to resist both of Talonflame's STABs.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet ** Humbert
Ability: Iron Barbs
IVs: 0 Spe
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Dedicated Mega-Mom counter and physical tank. Sublime Pebbles isn't too hot in 3 vs. 3 but like 75% of the teams have Talonflame, so it's alright. Otherwise, fairly standard I think, at least for the 3 vs. 3 metagame. He suffers quite a bit from the lack of a reliable recovery in Leftovers + Protect a la Rotom-W above, and sometimes gets worn down by repeated Earthquakes from Garchomp, but still.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite ** Flemm
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Earthquake

Semi-standard Mega-Kanga, which I don't like to use because it's banned here. Not all the players on the Battle Spot are adhering to the Smogon rules, and sometimes when playing free battles you see stuff like Xerneas and Mega Luke, and I keep Kanga close for when I'm up against these people. I swap out Dragonite from the 6-lineup then, but it's often left on the bench. When I bring it, I usually do it with Rotom and Goodra. No Power-up-Punch, because I don't deem it necessary in 3 vs. 3, where, after a KO, you only need to KO two more pokemon. Almost all pokemon who don't outright resist Normal or are immune to it gets KO:d by Fake Out followed by Return.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb ** Filip
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Extrasensory

My usual lead, a standard Greninja, nothing fancy. I recently added Extrasensory over U-Turn to handle Mega-Venusaur (still a handful, however) and Gengar. Although Greninja can't outspeed Mega-Gengar, I outspeed on the Mega turn and always OHKO.

Goodra (M) @ Assault Vest ** Linus
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

Probably my favorite 6th gen pokemon, and with the awesome breeding mechanics, and the ability capsule, it only took around five hours to get a 6 IV Goomy with the ability I wanted. I chose to go with Sap Sipper over Gooey because I don't want to tank hits from strong physical threats anyway, and I've found that most people even on the Battle Spot free battles seem to shy away from contact moves against this beast. Sap Sipper also means the team isn't completely dead to Spore, although Goodra doesn't like going toe-to-toe against a healthy Breloom. Amoongus is often fine, however. With Assault Vest, it tanks special hits, even super effective ones, like they are nothing. It has few, but very useful, resistances too, covering Rotom's only weakness. The set is very standard, Draco Meteor from base 110 SpA hurts a lot of things, Fire Blast and Sludge Bomb covers incoming Steels and Fairies respectively. Earthquake covers incoming Heatran, basically. It can also benefit from a Sap Sipper boost, unlike the rest of the moveset.

For reference, Timid Life Orb Latios deals 61.7-73.1% with Draco Meteor, and Goodra naturally KO:s back with ease. Otherwise, the damage output from him is sometimes lacking, and I miss having a spammable move like Dragon Pulse.

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Scarf ** Stickan
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Memento

My dedicated Blaziken and Mega-Blaziken counter that I bred after asking for answers in the threats thread. It does well against other stuff too, and it happens to be immune to Ferrothorns two weaknesses, which is nice and team synergy and all that. Memento over Trick because I don't have resources on a 4th or 5th gen cart to breed a perfect IV one and transfer it over, but Memento is sometimes hilarious for shutting down their last threat in a 2 on 1 situation. This thing outspeeds Mega Gengar easily as well, meaning it can come in and revenge it.

The subs (my other 5-IV mons I bring in sometimes, and stuff I switch with the main team):

Blaziken (M) @ Blazikenite ** Mattias
Ability: Speed Boost -> Speed Boost
Adamant nature
- Protect
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

After some shitty battles against really unfun, unfair teams made up of not only this guy above, but even more ridiculous stuff like Minimize, OHKO-moves etc., I decided to join the Dark Side and add this guy to my roster, and also make Mega-Kang a permanent part of the team. I feel no shame at all. Standard set, HJK OHKOs so many pokemon after a speed boost.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite ** Kajsa
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss

Toxistalling Chansey against terrifying special attackers. Swapped in for Goodra. Nothing special, but so awesome. Some teams just can't handle her. Protect on both Blaziken and Rotom helps with the Toxistalling late-game.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band ** Roger
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Extremespeed
- Fire Punch

I hatched this Dragonite when I was building my Maison team, and it has proven to be a real godsend, since it happens to be male, and happened to turn out flawless even though I was going for 5 IV. This means he has probably spent more time in the daycare than in the Battle Spot, but I like to toss him in sometimes. Recently swapped from Lum/DD to Choice Band, because I love to harvest Heart Scales.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite ** Butter
Abilty: Intimidate -> Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head

Used to be on the team in Blaziken's spot. Such a stupid good pokemon in many ways, but Blaziken is probably outright stronger.

Aegislash (F) @ Leftovers ** Greta
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
IVs: 25-26 Spe
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kings Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

I unfortunately miscalculated the IV:s on this Aegislash, meaning it's a bit faster than I'd want too (I input the wrong stat and got a result of 15 IIRC). I was tired of hatching Honedges, since I'd been through almost four boxes of two 5 IV parents when I finally got this one, so that might have had something to do with it. Originally bred for the Maison, where it does well, however.

Metagross @ Assault Vest ** Frank
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 238 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Another Maison Assault Vest pokemon that I created to be a foil to Fairy types. The EVs make for 93 Speed at Lv 50, which means it outspeeds a couple of Slurpluffs in the Maison, which were giving me trouble at the time (yeah, I know...) I probably should re-do them but I'm not sure what spread to go for. The speed investment now means it outspeeds other uninvested Metagrosses (Metagri?) in the Battle Spot, though it hasn't come up yet. I think Metagross is a fine pokemon even with the nerf to steel types, and the new fairies means even Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch has relevant coverage.

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band / Assault Vest ** Kanonen
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Yeah, I really like the Assault Vest. Nothing interesting or different here.

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite ** Jesper
Ability: Overgrow -> Thick Fat
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

This thing is so good, but I can't seem to fit it on my team properly. When I do run it, I run it with Metagross, since Metagross resists Psychic and Flying. Overgrow is bad, but I didn't have access to a HA Bulbasaur. It's "unfortunately" one of my lucky 6 IV hatches, meaning it has a useless perfect Atk stat which came in handy for breeding Ferrothorn, but means I will take slightly more Foul Play and confusion damage.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet ** Tobias
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Yawn

Another Mega-Blaziken counter, who isn't weak to Stone Edge or Earthquake. The set might be really bad, I want to fit Ice Beam on it, but I'm not sure what needs to go.

Noivern (F) @ Choice Specs ** Helén
Ability: Frisk
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Another 6th gen mon I wanted to try out, and I happened to get a neat 4 IV female on Wonder Trade, so breeding it was a breeze. It's done pretty well, actually, Frisk + U-turn is great for scouting sets, Hurricane OHKO:s Mega Venusaur easily, while Sludge Bomb fails to OHKO unless he crits, meaning it's a decent check.

Top threats so far, that I seem to encounter quite a bit on the Rating Battles:

Mega Charizard-X: It's typing leaves few weaknesses, and after a DD it can often just chew through my whole team - this thing is criminally underused on Battle Spot (only about a third of the Zards holds the X-stone). A lot of things on my roster can OHKO (M-Kanga with EQ, Noivern with Dragon Pulse, Goodra with Draco Meteor etc.) but nothing can really switch in safely and counter it. It's also immune to burn, how unfair!

Mega Kangaskhan: Mega-Kanga hates paralysis even if it has Sucker Punch. Otherwise, I'm at a loss. My own Mega-Kanga has fared well against these in free battles, however, since some try to set up Power-up-Punches on my Kangaskhan, while I KO them with Fake Out + Return.

Mega Lucario: Goodra can handle the pure special types quite well, even Dragon Pulse is tanked quite well by Goodra who can reliably 2HKO with Earthquake or Fire Blast. Rotom can deal with and paralyse the pure physical versions, but can't stand up to boosted hits, and neither Goodra nor Rotom likes to get hit on the "wrong" defense.

Mega Venusaur: Thick Fat is such a godsend to this thing, and so annoying for anything trying to break through its bulk. I often see special-based stally sets like Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Synthesis / Leech Seed, which won't do much to Goodra, but will eventually get the poison and thus win. Sets with Sleep Powder over Synthesis isn't quite as bad. If I can get a burn on it coming in on Rotom, I'm usually in okay shape, but otherwise it's rough. This thing alone makes me want to run Brave Bird on Blaziken, it's that bad.

Breloom: Spore is a handful, and it can quite easily take down the core, unfortunately. Aegislash is the only decent counter on my roster, although Greninja checks it very well.

Garchomp and Mega-Garchomp: Both huge threats to the team, including Ferrothorn if they run Fire Blast, and can only really be checked by Greninja. If I over-predict, I lose, basically.

Gengar and Mega-Gengar: My team's best special wall, Chansey, can't touch this thing at all, and Goodra hates to be Toxic'd. Ironically, I've had more trouble with Gengar than its Mega-counterpart, because Focus Sash is a thing. He can be beaten by Kangaskhan and some diddling around, but it often involves revealing the entire team to my opponent. The ones with Hypnosis seems to never miss either, but that's of course just statistical bias. Now easier to handle with Greninja, but it can really only switch into Shadow Ball.

Volcarona: Can go head-to-head against Goodra, unlike many other special attackers, and can often win due to dances + Roost. Rotom could in theory handle a non-set-up Volcarona, but they seem to be quite rare, so I haven't tested it in practice.

Any tips on the roster above is more than welcome, especially in regards to these threats. I don't have access to many past-gens-tutors etc., but otherwise anything found on X or Y cartridges is fine. I have a couple of reset bags saved if I need to re-do EV:s on something, though I hope I didn't mess it up too much.

Last edited:
Top threats so far, that I seem to encounter quite a bit on the Rating Battles:
I'm like you and have only just recently started playing the game competitively so while this probably isn't the best advice I can offer one pokemon that I think you'll enjoy using after reading this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stall.3490051/page-37#post-5484539

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 252 Def*
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Hammer Arm / Seed Bomb
- Spiky Shield / Substitute
- Earthquake / Coverage Slot
*288 HP EVs yield a Leftovers Number but leaves you vulnerable to Sandstorm so I'm not sure how to properly adjust it.

Most, if not all, of the following are situational but not impossible.

Breloom: Spore is a handful, and it can quite easily take down the core, unfortunately. Aegislash is the only decent counter on my roster, although Greninja checks it very well.
Chesnaught is immune to Spore, Leech Seed and Bullet Seed. And Mach Punch? Well...

252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 228 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 33-40 (17.1 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile, you can set up a Sub or Hammer Arm it to death:

28 Atk Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 75-88 (55.1 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other options include a predictive Leech Seed or Earthquake for Aegislash.

Garchomp and Mega-Garchomp: Both huge threats to the core, and can only really be checked by Greninja. If I over-predict, I lose, basically.
This one requires some prediction and guesswork. Forcing a Choice Scarf Garchomp into Earthquake or Stone Edge:

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 27-32 (14 - 16.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 228 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 18-21 (9.3 - 10.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Sadly Chesnaught can't do much in return except Leech Seed and do pitiful damage with Earthquake but it will almost always force a switch:

28 Atk Chesnaught Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 44-52 (24 - 28.4%) -- 94.9% chance to 4HKO

Gengar and Mega-Gengar: My team's best special wall, Chansey, can't touch this thing at all, and Goodra hates to be Toxic'd. Ironically, I've had more trouble with Gengar than its Mega-counterpart, because Focus Sash is a thing. He can be beaten by Kangaskhan and some diddling around, but it often involves revealing the entire team to my opponent. The ones with Hypnosis seems to never miss either, but that's of course just statistical bias. Now easier to handle with Greninja, but it can really only switch into Shadow Ball.
This is probably the most hilarious outcome of Bulletproof: Immunity to Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb and Focus Blast. You can't hit him in return unless he Mega Evolves, but if he does:

28 Atk Chesnaught Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 100-118 (73.5 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The downsides to this are the Destiny Bond / Perish Song Gengar sets where you will most likely lose Chesnaught if you're not careful.

So give Chesnaught a try. It's fun!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, the singles ladder is making me so angry right now... I'm running Mega Manectric, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, Aegislash, Bisharp and Volcarona and I keep getting screwed over by bad rolls, hax, predicting things wrong and unlucky lead matchups. I'm really not sure how to fix this, but all I can say is: Offense does not work on the singles ladder, kids. It's almost impossible to keep up momentum, to the point where you should almost expect to spend most of your time on the back foot, and running frail Pokémon in that kind of situation is basically just robbing yourself of free switch-ins. Here are my sets:

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid
Lightning Rod -> Intimidate
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Same set I've been using since forever. I'm finding that Volt Switch gets cockblocked by a hell of a lot of things (I see tons of Garchomp and Trace really screws this thing up ._. ) and that if I'm bringing it, I'm pretty much required to lead with it as the base form is even frailer than the mega form. Which makes me really predictable.

Landorus @ Assault Vest
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Superpower
-U-Turn

The second part of the Eternal Core. I'm having a bit of trouble with this thing, as it's really good as a defensive pivot most of the time but I'm finding it difficult to get other things in after I bring Landorus in. To fix this, I'm going to look up some speed tiers and invest just enough to outpace something with my Jolly nature (that I can't change...) and dump the rest into HP, as I really think Landorus serves my team best as a slow, defensive U-Turner. Fast and frail is not cutting it.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid
Trace -> Pixilate
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Will-o-Wisp

(Thanks @BWong!) Gardevoir is my designated stallbreaker. With a couple of Calm Minds up and a burn on the opponent, this thing is nigh unbreakable and leaves you free to tear more chunks out of the opponent or boost further. The problems I'm having here are that Mega Gardevoir is a bit too slow to deal with the things that I really want it to deal with (yes you, Garchomp) and that I just can't bring it if I see any kind of Steel-type, especially Mawile and Aegislash. However, the next time I see a Mega Venusaur or a Porygon2, hopefully they won't give me any more problems.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant
Defiant
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Night Slash
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
-Swords Dance

Bisharp is an example of one of those frail Pokémon that you can't afford to switch in on anything. If I get it in, I usually just fire off a Sucker Punch just before I die to whatever I got the jump on. Getting Swords Dance is high on impossible, as is landing anything other than a Sucker Punch due to how slow and frail Bisharp is. Also Sucker punch mindgames suck. :[ I still need something to bring into Dark- and Ghost-types (not Bisharp in other words). Mandibuzz sounds fun...? But seriously what can I switch this out for?

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Quiet
Stance Change
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

Ah, Aegislash. I feel like this thing would be so good to me if only it got better super-effective coverage. I really need to bring it to more games, but yeah... Oh well. I think this needs more testing before I make a proper judgement on it, but I like Aegislash a lot and it synergises fairly well with what I have so I'm keeping it for now. I may give it Lefties instead as Weakness Policy is just unreliable and Shadow Ball is a ridiculous nuke anyway ^_^

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid
Flame Body
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Psychic

More frail. So much frail. It's much easier to boost up against resistances than Bisharp is, but it just fold against priority (particularly Sucker Punch) and it's easily stopped. Considering making it a Choice Scarf variant with U-Turn for the surprise factor - it can still function as a win condition with Fiery Dance that way, but I can give it a pivoting role as well (could couple that with some bulk investment, we'll see).

So give Chesnaught a try. It's fun!
Thanks for your reply, I've been meaning to breed a Chesnaught ever since I got a Bullet Proof Chespin through wonder trade, but just breeding for a female HA one before I can even begin breeding for IVs seemed dull :P I will get around to it, however, and especially now after your advice. Maybe pair him up with Mega-Mawile, since she resists all but one of his weaknesses?

Since writing my previous post, I've been expanding my roster to include a Choice Scarf Chandelure and a Slowbro, so Mega-Blaziken is not really the same issue it used to be. I'm struggling to condense my roster to just 6 pokemon now, instead.

You can also give Chesnaught Rocky Helmet to switch into Pokemon like Garchomp/Mega-kang/gyarados, forcing them to switch out. For healing you can always add Synthesis. As a stall, having Leech seed/Synth/Spiky shield is pretty strong.

I don't think Chesnaught really resists a lot of the right types or the base HP to take advantage of Rocky Helmet though. Ferro vs Kang works because it resists Fake Out and Return, Cresselia does it well because of her insane defensive stats. Spiky Shield is usually enough to deter the physical threats. I agree a Spiky Shield / Synthesis set would have some uses if you're careful with knowing Chester will almost always move last.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever taken the time to go through the top players on pokemon-gl and find the ones whose profiles are open and post videos? I've looked up a few and started a google doc, maybe if more people were interested we could start compiling/analyzing the teams that the top (over 2000) japanese players use? There's a lot of the usual stuff, but Hydregeion seems much more common at that level than the usage statistics would suggest, and talonflame is practically absent.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever taken the time to go through the top players on pokemon-gl and find the ones whose profiles are open and post videos? I've looked up a few and started a google doc, maybe if more people were interested we could start compiling/analyzing the teams that the top (over 2000) japanese players use? There's a lot of the usual stuff, but Hydregeion seems much more common at that level than the usage statistics would suggest, and talonflame is practically absent.
I would be interested in this. :) What format have you been compiling for?

Yeah check it out, feel free to edit it too. If you find more players who are posting videos, put them on there, and if you watch someone's videos who I haven't puzzled out the set for yet, feel free to add details for their set!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qk-mQTjY366Ipm7n8zDZ4_0oFeILER_M0-JYM0zakVI/edit

Also, some of the players on there ranked pretty high in season 4, but I don't know where they are in season 5. I've been trying to note where they finished in season 4 but I haven't had much time to work on it lately.

That's awesome man, thanks for running with that! I'm at work right now so I can't really be searching through pokemon-gl, but we should add a column listing the player's final rank in season 4, it makes them way easier to find on the Global Link website.

That's awesome man, thanks for running with that! I'm at work right now so I can't really be searching through pokemon-gl, but we should add a column listing the player's final rank in season 4, it makes them way easier to find on the Global Link website.
Wow thank you so much! Ive been searching those teams for long but couldnt find them! I surely have the time and interest to analyse them!

Are there no videos yet available? Would love to see their strategy in battle too!

EDIT:

I made a list from most used pokemon to less used. Here it is:

Twelve persons

Aegislash 6
Kanghaskan 6

Gyarados 5
Hydreigon 5

Garchomp 4

Heatran 3
Cresselia 3
Venusaur 3

Medicham 2
Manectric 2
Raikou2
Tyranitar 2
Dragonite 2
Talonflame 2
Zapdos 2
Scizor 2

Blaziken 1
Heracross 1
Cloyster 1
Alakazam 1
Stunfisk 1
Infernape 1
Conkeldurr 1
Noivern 1
Breloom 1
Blissey 1
Gliscor 1
Skarmory 1
Trevenant 1
Sylveon 1
Mawile 1
Mamoswine 1

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)