Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Looking to use abomsnow mega or M-beedrill looking for good team mates! Possibly even m alakazam trying to use some of my fsvorites! Tyranitar good with any of these, totally a favorite too!

Which 3 best compliment the Hippi Mega Luc Dragonite core?
Still no answer to this:(? What three have you been using so far?

Rotom-W is not something I like at all, but it seems to fit here I guess. Only weak to grass, and while that's compounded by Hippo, you have a 2x resist and a bulky 4x resist. Aegislash resists ice and is immune to fighting, naming other things. Excadrill or something else that can make use of sand would be good. Otherwise Hippo's ability is mostly a bad thing, and rarely really helpful. I always like a grass type or something like that to switch in to Spore from Loom.

Serperior would compound quite a few weaknesses, and your helmet is taken, so I don't think that'd be a good choice. Ferrothorn only compounds weaknesses with Luc who isn't bulky anyways, and is pretty good. Assuming Hippo is helmet Ferro should be Lefties.

Is your DNite Lum? And can your Luc OHKO Zard Y without a boost? Also, can Hippo take a hit from it? That doesn't really matter if it can't do anything back though. Especially if you add a grass type an answer to Zard Y would be a good idea. Exca only works in Sand tho(with Sand Rush Ofc,) unless you want Scarf Mold Breaker which doesn't capitalize on sand at all. Mayb Scarf Sand Force? CB Talon is strong enough to always OHKO Zard Y without a decent amount of bulk, though LO can't do that, at least not all the time, if Zard is full. Rocks can help here tho.

Does your Luc only have STABs for attacks? If so you have a Thundy problem, especially ones that OHKO Hippo or can Taunt it. Jellicent can then also be a problem. AV Mamo can live even a Flash Cannon from unboosted Luc, and takes unboosted DNite to town while getting a few chances to fish for Fissure on Hippo. Ferro helps with that, it only gets two chances for Fissure which usually isn't too bad.

I hope some of that helps, I kno I couldn't really help you last time.

Hippo's ability is mostly a bad thing, and rarely really helpful.
What? Sand eliminates Sashes, which GREATLY increases your chance to sweep. Residual damage also increases your chance to nuke stuff with ESpeed after a boost. Sure, it adversely effects Dragonite, but that shouldn't matter once you're set up at +1 Attack and Speed.

Still no answer to this:(? What three have you been using so far?

Rotom-W is not something I like at all, but it seems to fit here I guess. Only weak to grass, and while that's compounded by Hippo, you have a 2x resist and a bulky 4x resist. Aegislash resists ice and is immune to fighting, naming other things. Excadrill or something else that can make use of sand would be good. Otherwise Hippo's ability is mostly a bad thing, and rarely really helpful. I always like a grass type or something like that to switch in to Spore from Loom.

Serperior would compound quite a few weaknesses, and your helmet is taken, so I don't think that'd be a good choice. Ferrothorn only compounds weaknesses with Luc who isn't bulky anyways, and is pretty good. Assuming Hippo is helmet Ferro should be Lefties.

Is your DNite Lum? And can your Luc OHKO Zard Y without a boost? Also, can Hippo take a hit from it? That doesn't really matter if it can't do anything back though. Especially if you add a grass type an answer to Zard Y would be a good idea. Exca only works in Sand tho(with Sand Rush Ofc,) unless you want Scarf Mold Breaker which doesn't capitalize on sand at all. Mayb Scarf Sand Force? CB Talon is strong enough to always OHKO Zard Y without a decent amount of bulk, though LO can't do that, at least not all the time, if Zard is full. Rocks can help here tho.

Does your Luc only have STABs for attacks? If so you have a Thundy problem, especially ones that OHKO Hippo or can Taunt it. Jellicent can then also be a problem. AV Mamo can live even a Flash Cannon from unboosted Luc, and takes unboosted DNite to town while getting a few chances to fish for Fissure on Hippo. Ferro helps with that, it only gets two chances for Fissure which usually isn't too bad.

I hope some of that helps, I kno I couldn't really help you last time.
What? Sand eliminates Sashes, which GREATLY increases your chance to sweep. Residual damage also increases your chance to nuke stuff with ESpeed after a boost. Sure, it adversely effects Dragonite, but that shouldn't matter once you're set up at +1 Attack and Speed.
Why on Earth would Grass or Sand be an issue? Does no one run Saftey Goggles Dnite + Hippowdon or..?
Char-Y / Thundy: Raikou, TTar, Head Smash Tyrantrum, if it has Electric or Rock moves it kills both. Fire types typically pound Char-Y too, like Entei. Thundy just adores anything with Ice Beam too.

There's no reason to run goggles. All you need is the one turn to DD and sand doesn't mess with that. If sand were really a hinderance to the core's strategy people just wouldn't run it.

How viable is Gravity in Singles? I especially see Cress as a decent setter. She has Lunar Dance and can further support with t-wave. Unfortunately she lacks any good move to abuse Gravity with, though Ice Beam is always useful. Cress could forego recovery since she'd often kill herself to heal a teammate. On such a set Sitrus a Berry would probably be the best item, since Cress won't hang around long enough to get much out of Lefties or helmet.

Good Gravity abusers are crucial for this strat to be worth anything. Even though they're still far from perfectly accurate in Gravity, OHKO moves are great to pair with such a Cress, especially Sheer Cold. Mamo, Lapras, and Suicune are the main SC users I think of. Mamo aLao has a strong EQ that now affects everything.

Other string EQ users are really good top. CB Chomp won't mind being locked into EQ, since the only thing immune in Gravity is Shedinja, and few things are bulky or resistant enough to take CB boosted STAB EQ off a base 100 Atk, especially if you go Adamant. Mons that have trouble with HJK users also do better in Gravity. Kang will no longer mind Lopunny or some Blaziken, and gets a spam able EQ along with more accuracy.

Sleep Powder, Grasswhistle, Hyonosis, and Sing all gain viability. Hypnosis Gengar is quite a problem, but it's way worse in Gravity. I've seen Gravity p2 with Gengar before. Whimsicott now has a fairly reliable sleep move in Grasswhistle as well. I think Zap Cannon is very good in Gravity. This is especially noteworthy on p2, since it can set Gravity and have Zap Cannon as a buffed t-bolt and t-wave in one-tho it does still have some chance to miss.

What would be some other good Gravity mons? Does it last long enough for it to be worth it to use another field effect with it? Should a Gravity team use one setter or more, or does it vary?

How viable is Gravity in Singles? I especially see Cress as a decent setter. She has Lunar Dance and can further support with t-wave. Unfortunately she lacks any good move to abuse Gravity with, though Ice Beam is always useful. Cress could forego recovery since she'd often kill herself to heal a teammate. On such a set Sitrus a Berry would probably be the best item, since Cress won't hang around long enough to get much out of Lefties or helmet.

Good Gravity abusers are crucial for this strat to be worth anything. Even though they're still far from perfectly accurate in Gravity, OHKO moves are great to pair with such a Cress, especially Sheer Cold. Mamo, Lapras, and Suicune are the main SC users I think of. Mamo aLao has a strong EQ that now affects everything.

Other string EQ users are really good top. CB Chomp won't mind being locked into EQ, since the only thing immune in Gravity is Shedinja, and few things are bulky or resistant enough to take CB boosted STAB EQ off a base 100 Atk, especially if you go Adamant. Mons that have trouble with HJK users also do better in Gravity. Kang will no longer mind Lopunny or some Blaziken, and gets a spam able EQ along with more accuracy.

Sleep Powder, Grasswhistle, Hyonosis, and Sing all gain viability. Hypnosis Gengar is quite a problem, but it's way worse in Gravity. I've seen Gravity p2 with Gengar before. Whimsicott now has a fairly reliable sleep move in Grasswhistle as well. I think Zap Cannon is very good in Gravity. This is especially noteworthy on p2, since it can set Gravity and have Zap Cannon as a buffed t-bolt and t-wave in one-tho it does still have some chance to miss.

What would be some other good Gravity mons? Does it last long enough for it to be worth it to use another field effect with it? Should a Gravity team use one setter or more, or does it vary?
OHKO moves ignore all accuracy / evasion modifiers, including Gravity/Sand Veil/etc.
So no Gravity Sheer Cold for you :P

Garchomp is 130 Base atk. CB EQ is funny with no immunes, yes. Another big Gravity abuser is Nidoking: slow, but unmissing Blizzard + Thunder + unresisted Earth power + Fire Blast is just fucking stupid.

Zap Cannon is ah... (50*1.66) = 83% accuracy so not that bad at all, imo.

Main flaw with Gravity is the much like Trick Room and Tailwind in Singles: the turn counter. Doubles is short and strong, and with 4 pokemon under effect at once and most battles being under 10 turns, it works. Singles drags on longer from endless fucking switching and counter switching and U-Turn and etc. Gravity -> Switch to Chompy kills 2 turns, so you have a sad window of 3 turns to actually abuse, assuming you don't get forced out (Tangrowth for example: Gives absolutely 0% fuck about CB Chompy in Gravity, AND it doesn't have to worry about Sleep Powder missing).

No, don't combine TR + Gravity and such: even in Doubles that's a no-no. Singles, you'd waste 3 turns straight on Gravity -> TR -> Switch while your foe pummels you with no real punishment or threat.
Sableye is the only other Gravity user that pops to mind. Prankster makes it far more significant, but only in Doubles/Triples.

OHKO moves ignore all accuracy / evasion modifiers, including Gravity/Sand Veil/etc.
So no Gravity Sheer Cold for you :P

Garchomp is 130 Base atk. CB EQ is funny with no immunes, yes. Another big Gravity abuser is Nidoking: slow, but unmissing Blizzard + Thunder + unresisted Earth power + Fire Blast is just fucking stupid.

Zap Cannon is ah... (50*1.66) = 83% accuracy so not that bad at all, imo.

Main flaw with Gravity is the much like Trick Room and Tailwind in Singles: the turn counter. Doubles is short and strong, and with 4 pokemon under effect at once and most battles being under 10 turns, it works. Singles drags on longer from endless fucking switching and counter switching and U-Turn and etc. Gravity -> Switch to Chompy kills 2 turns, so you have a sad window of 3 turns to actually abuse, assuming you don't get forced out (Tangrowth for example: Gives absolutely 0% fuck about CB Chompy in Gravity, AND it doesn't have to worry about Sleep Powder missing).

No, don't combine TR + Gravity and such: even in Doubles that's a no-no. Singles, you'd waste 3 turns straight on Gravity -> TR -> Switch while your foe pummels you with no real punishment or threat.
Sableye is the only other Gravity user that pops to mind. Prankster makes it far more significant, but only in Doubles/Triples.
Lol, that makes sense. Gravity OHKO moves would be too easy.

That's what I meant on Chomp lol.

Singles does drag on a bit longer, so field effects are definitely lesser there. I think Gravity can work though. P2 in particular seems good for setting and abusing, giving it more turns. It also hates HJK, so that failing is a pretty big plus. 4MSS is strong in anything that uses Gravity, ape specially if it has reliable recovery and is setting the Gravity. Zap Cannon and maybe Blizzard.

That's a good point on Nidoking. Not really a mon I think about, but definitely has the movepool for Gravity. Something with Gravity and Memento, or perhaps a slow U-Turn, could also be good. Bronzong can use Gravity then Explode.

I read an article on here a long time ago about some Gravity stuff. I remember it mentioned Starmie, which not only has a plethora of powerful inaccurate moves, it can also use Gravity.

There's probably a good Hustle moon for a Gravity too, I'm gonna look for that and share my findings.

Actually nothing with Hustle is really good, at least for physical attacking(Togekiss.) The closest thing is Zweillous, which is questionable.

EDIT: Looks like Dusclops' evo line is the only one with Memento and Gravity. Idk why Uxie can't get Gravity, or even Latios or Gardevoir for that matter.

There are a few other pretty good Gravity setters. Forretress can do it then explode, and Chansey and Clefable can set it then Healing Wish. Both also have t-wave. Gravity has surprisingly good distribution.

Last edited:
Lol, that makes sense. Gravity OHKO moves would be too easy.

That's what I meant on Chomp lol.

Singles does drag on a bit longer, so field effects are definitely lesser there. I think Gravity can work though. P2 in particular seems good for setting and abusing, giving it more turns. It also hates HJK, so that failing is a pretty big plus. 4MSS is strong in anything that uses Gravity, ape specially if it has reliable recovery and is setting the Gravity. Zap Cannon and maybe Blizzard.

That's a good point on Nidoking. Not really a mon I think about, but definitely has the movepool for Gravity. Something with Gravity and Memento, or perhaps a slow U-Turn, could also be good. Bronzong can use Gravity then Explode.

I read an article on here a long time ago about some Gravity stuff. I remember it mentioned Starmie, which not only has a plethora of powerful inaccurate moves, it can also use Gravity.

There's probably a good Hustle moon for a Gravity too, I'm gonna look for that and share my findings.

Actually nothing with Hustle is really good, at least for physical attacking(Togekiss.) The closest thing is Zweillous, which is questionable.

EDIT: Looks like Dusclops' evo line is the only one with Memento and Gravity. Idk why Uxie can't get Gravity, or even Latios or Gardevoir for that matter.

There are a few other pretty good Gravity setters. Forretress can do it then explode, and Chansey and Clefable can set it then Healing Wish. Both also have t-wave. Gravity has surprisingly good distribution.
Oh, Starmie. Yes, actually, Starmie can be worth a damn. Hydro Pump / Thunder / Blizzard. Talos knows it needs the extra power.
Physical Hustle: Durant. Zweilous hits very hard but no Dragon Rush (iirc Gravity blocks it),
Almost forgot Dusclops / Dusknoir actually have a very good movepool (other than the complete and total lack of Ghost STAB, and the fact that Dusknoir suuuuuuuuucks)
Uxie has Yawn, Gravity, and U-Turn can be slow too. TR spread.

Still, I wouldn't use it in Singles. BSD it has some mostly untapped usage (mainly with Sableye) but yeah.

Oh, Starmie. Yes, actually, Starmie can be worth a damn. Hydro Pump / Thunder / Blizzard. Talos knows it needs the extra power.
Physical Hustle: Durant. Zweilous hits very hard but no Dragon Rush (iirc Gravity blocks it),
Almost forgot Dusclops / Dusknoir actually have a very good movepool (other than the complete and total lack of Ghost STAB, and the fact that Dusknoir suuuuuuuuucks)
Uxie has Yawn, Gravity, and U-Turn can be slow too. TR spread.

Still, I wouldn't use it in Singles. BSD it has some mostly untapped usage (mainly with Sableye) but yeah.
Idk why I didn't mention Durant, was even sorta thinking about it. Getting the Hustle power boost without the accuracy drop is really nice, and Stone Edge in particular benefits.

That's unfortunate Dragon Rush doesn't work in Gravity, didn't know that. Zweillous doesn't have many moves that make it stand out as a Gravity abuser. Head Smash and a few 90 accuracy things like Aqua Tail. It's stats are pretty unimpressive too. 72/85/70/65/70/58 is slow, not terribly bulky especially without recovery, and has no real hope of going mixed-even physical attacks aren't that strong.

Maybe Serebii is wrong cuz I'm not seeing Uxie listed under Gravity users. Also don't see Gravity in its entry. Cress probably outclasses Uxie for Gravity tho.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gravity works really well in Rotations, the free turns that rotating rather than switching provides lets you make proper use of the limit. I used to use a Gravity + Trick Room Mega Steelix team and it was fun. Gravity user + Hypnosis Crobat is also popular there. Theorymon will tell you all about it.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gravity works really well in Rotations, the free turns that rotating rather than switching provides lets you make proper use of the limit. I used to use a Gravity + Trick Room Mega Steelix team and it was fun. Gravity user + Hypnosis Crobat is also popular there. Theorymon will tell you all about it.
Yeah, usually when it comes to Gravity, the most common user you'd find is Meowstic, who tends to be paired with Garchomp. Usually, they run Gravity + 2 Screens + support move that fits your team (or even Psychic for teams that REALLY hate Breloom)

Now just my personal experience: Its VERY tempting to use Choice Band Garchomp under Gravity, but I must warn you: this is an extremely risky tactic. Rotations is fast paced and a bit unpredictable at times, so if you lose your gravity user or dont even get gravity set up after getting locked into Earthquake, you could potentially get destroyed by common Flying-types such as Talonflame or Thundurus-T! I've even seen some teams with tons of Protect users to try and stall out stuff like that.

If you use Gravity + a Ground-type user, I'd recommend Life Orb Garchomp. Not quite as powerful and it doesn't last as long, but its less risky too!

Also, I actually didn't see the Crobat + Gravity combo too often cant say , but me and Arcticblast had success with it mostly because Infiltrator is excellent in a metagame full of substitutes. Hypnosis with Infiltrator even breaks through Safeguard!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's unfortunately been a long time since I've played rotations, but my final team was Gravity Meowstic / Hypnosis Crobat / SD Mega Garchomp / standard Mega Kang / Modest Heatran / Belly Drum Azumarill. SD Garchomp in gravity with three sleeping Pokemon on the other side was hella fun though.

So I got my first destiny knot from the contest hall fans and just accidentally traded it off on gts, so I went to the people you rebattle to get it from and ive been battling them so many times but they wont give it too me, does anyone know why?

Last edited by a moderator:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's a 5% chance that you'll get it, I recommend soft resetting to maximise your chances. If you have been then there's nothing I can say but to keep trying. 5% is not very high :/ If you have a copy of XY on hand, there's a woman in Lumiose City who gives you a Destiny Knot after every rematch so there's that if you're desperate. Either way, this question is much better off asked over in this thread as it isn't really our area. I hope I helped on some level regardless ^_^

It's a 5% chance that you'll get it, I recommend soft resetting to maximise your chances. If you have been then there's nothing I can say but to keep trying. 5% is not very high :/ If you have a copy of XY on hand, there's a woman in Lumiose City who gives you a Destiny Knot after every rematch so there's that if you're desperate. Either way, this question is much better off asked over in this thread as it isn't really our area. I hope I helped on some level regardless ^_^
Yes it did thank you very much! It's been a such a pain!

It's unfortunately been a long time since I've played rotations, but my final team was Gravity Meowstic / Hypnosis Crobat / SD Mega Garchomp / standard Mega Kang / Modest Heatran / Belly Drum Azumarill. SD Garchomp in gravity with three sleeping Pokemon on the other side was hella fun though.
Gravity is still pretty good in Rotations. Field effects in general are amazeballs, considering rotating doesn't waste turns and setup doesn't go away with rotation.

How many Iv's would be good for a smeargle lead, is it necessary to have 5-6 IV's when it only really needs is speed stats? Or will it be worth the time to get the 5. I want it to look somewhat like this.

Smeargle@Focus Sash
Timid nature
252Spe/252SpDef/4Hp
Moves
Kings Shield
Spore
Lock on
Sheer cold

How many Iv's would be good for a smeargle lead, is it necessary to have 5-6 IV's when it only really needs is speed stats? Or will it be worth the time to get the 5. I want it to look somewhat like this.

Smeargle@Focus Sash
Timid nature
252Spe/252SpDef/4Hp
Moves
Kings Shield
Spore
Lock on
Sheer cold
Only needs HP / Def / Sp. Def / Speed. Offenses are moot.
Spiky Shield is better than King's Shield; both punish physical moves, but King's Shield does not block Status catagory moves like Taunt, Dark Void, Encore, Thunder Wave, etc. that Smeargle actually baits. Spiky Shield is the best Protection move in the game.
If you're using Smeargle for Doubles, VGC, or Triples, Dark Void is disgusting and even more obnoxious than Spore, and that really does say a lot. If it's Singles / Rotations, Spore is fine.
Lock on + Sheer Cold should only ever be run by Articuno. Smeargle's too frail to pull it off. Doubles/Triples, it wants support moves like Follow Me, Crafty Shield, Super Fang, Tailwind, etc. Singles, idk what it'd run.

since battlespot is 3vs3 in singles format, is stealth rock even needed??
It's far from needed, tho id say it's even further from unviable. That said you don't see it very much, so you should never have ways to get rid of it.

Main mons to set it are Hippo and Ferro, tho you also sometimes see it on Chomp, Mamo, TTar, and a few others.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Typically Stealth Rock is only used on teams that really want something to deter Talonflame, and to a lesser extent Charizard and Volcarona. It's good for breaking Sash users like Greninja and Breloom and especially useful on Blaziken teams since many Pokemon struggle to take a hit from something with as huge of an attack stat as Mega Blaziken, which also happens to hate Talonflame. Beyond cases like that you definitely won't be seeing Stealth Rock much, and any other hazard is more or less nonexistent.

On a mixed attacking groudon, should I use lava plume or fire blast? Though I like fire blasts damage, I also like the burn rate on lava plume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)