Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What happens when the timer runs out on Battle Spot? Is it always a draw automatically?

I was just in a battle against some Brazilian dude, and it ended up with his ToxiStall Gliscor vs. my Regenerator Slowbro and my Mandibuzz. He struggled to death on the very, very last turn of the game, with 11 seconds left on the clock (!). I was actually curious to see what would've happened...
There are no ties in X and Y, actually. When the timer goes out, whoever has more Pokemon left wins. If you both have the same number of Pokemon, they calculate based on whoever has the higher percentage of total HP remaining.

The halloween competition is on smogon or on battle spot? I never did participate on a competition and i dont know how it works :/ and i would like to participate on this one

The halloween competition is on smogon or on battle spot? I never did participate on a competition and i dont know how it works :/ and i would like to participate on this one
It's on battle spot and sign ups will be on the pokemon global link on the 16th.

You'll be able to practice for it on showdown though, there's a format on the simulator up right now. But your rating on showdown doesn't count for anything in the actual tourney. It's simply for practicing.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the advice^_^ I think I'll go the offensive way since I'm doing singles
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-spot-singles-viability-rankings.3514689/

It's a work in progress, but check this thread out and the PGL statistics (http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/) to get an idea of what's good in the metagame. Also check out the 3v3 metagame discussion thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3v3-singles-metagame-discussion-thread.3491754/

Suggestions on a dual screener for Rotations? I'm a bit lazy to post my full team right now but the 'mons I use the most (I'm also using this team for my Maison run if that might affect suggestions) are Kangaskhan [Wrath of Khan set], Vaporeon [Wish-passer], and Aegislash [Special Sub], with Blaziken [Uber Blaze with HJK] in the back. I'd like best to replace Vaporeon, but lots of good dual screeners share a weakness with Aegislash. If you don't think it's a problem though, let me know.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
It seems like a bulky Fairy will fit your needs well. Aegi + Fairy + Kanga core is extremely strong and cover each other fairly well. The problem is they either come in fragile or slow varieties, but the staples Gardevoir, Sylveon, Clefable, Togekiss, Klefki, and Clefable can all dual screen.

It seems like a bulky Fairy will fit your needs well. Aegi + Fairy + Kanga core is extremely strong and cover each other fairly well. The problem is they either come in fragile or slow varieties, but the staples Gardevoir, Sylveon, Clefable, Togekiss, Klefki, and Clefable can all dual screen.
Thanks for the suggestions! I considered Klefki, but it does share that Ground-type weakness with Aegislash. I'd put it on immediately if it had Taunt though. Sylveon is too slow and liable to Taunt. I might go for Togekiss, who gets some other nice support moves and still has offensive presence if it gets Taunted. I suppose I'll try out Klefi for Prankster, and if I find myself wishing for more offense at the expense of not always being able to set up Screens, I'll try out Togekiss.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Klefki has somewhat lessened synergy with Aegi due to their shared Ground and Fire weaknesses, and the neutrality to Fighting as opposed to a resistance hurts its value to Kanga. Just some other things to keep in mind. Overall, even one of the slower Fairies will make a very strong Rotation core because it significantly lessens the opponent's safe moves. Taunt isn't the safest move if they see a Kanga and the threat of giving you a turn to PuP.

Also, I'm bad and listed Clefable twice lol. I meant to list Aromatisse. Aromatisse isn't that great outside of TR but is immune to Taunt and Encore which are not rare. Just experiment to see what works best for you.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Thanks for the suggestions! I considered Klefki, but it does share that Ground-type weakness with Aegislash. I'd put it on immediately if it had Taunt though. Sylveon is too slow and liable to Taunt. I might go for Togekiss, who gets some other nice support moves and still has offensive presence if it gets Taunted. I suppose I'll try out Klefi for Prankster, and if I find myself wishing for more offense at the expense of not always being able to set up Screens, I'll try out Togekiss.
I dunno if Whiskey Tango is still wandering around the forums, but I'll tag him so he can also weigh in.

One thing to consider with klefki: if you have air balloon equipped and it isn't the lead pokemon when it enters the field, there is no opening message to announce that it is indeed holding an air balloon.

Also, taunting sylveon isn't always the intuitive first option. I'd be more afraid of offensive variants with specs/scarf hyper voice wrecking shop.

Rotom-w is another option. Levitate to negate the earthquake weakness, resists fire attacks, and can easily fit into the same spot that vappy currently occupies on your team, with added adaptability since it has better balanced defenses. Plus will-o-wisp, if you're willing to give up one of your STABs.

EnGarde: I think catching Aegislash with Taunt might be a concern too so it can't abuse King's Shield (Choice-locking in Rotations though? There are so many ways that could go wrong). And like I said, I'd like the team to be compatible for the Maison too, which tends to use Taunt on everything if it has it. I hadn't realised that about the Air Balloon though. I like that idea, catching some people off-guard :p

Rotom-W does synergise well with these two, being able to take the hits aimed at M-Kanga and Aegislash and I do have that lovely Pain Split Rotom Most was giving away. I'll try Rotom-W first then, I suppose, though I do like the idea of using Togekiss better because, you know, Togekiss.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
To be resumed 7pm PST tomorrow!

GTS giveaway:

Just an update on the Spiritomb, I can finally have the giveaway! I actually got my ass off Smash yet it took forever to get a single 31/31/31/31/31/x Infiltrator female. fuck rng ;-;

Spiritomb - Brave - Infiltrator
31/31/31/31/31/x
Egg moves: Destiny Bond, Shadow Sneak, Pain Split, Imprison
I'm giving away six at the moment, and I will breed more if there is further demand. As an extra perk, one of the six Spiritomb is a 6IV male, not only optimal for Spiritomb vs Spiritomb matchups but also breeding for everything in the Amorphous egg group.

Bred specifically for this competition, I selected a Brave nature to maximize the power of Spiritomb's priority without sacrificing its excellent defenses, mixed offenses, and valuable typing. I didn't bother fiddling with Speed because I have atrocious RNG already.

Pain Split is only a convenience for those who would like to use Spiritomb outside of the competition, the other egg moves are the most competitively useful for Spiritomb in this competition.

If you don't like this spread, consider the spitbacks! I got a few 31/31/31/x/31/31 and 31/x/31/31/31/31 spitbacks, both male and female. The males are particularly useful because Spiritomb can breed with everything else except Aegi, Golurk, and Froslass and comes with a bunch of nice egg moves that would be appreciated. The females you can rebreed for other natures if you want.

How to claim:
1. Post in this thread (needs some bumps anyways) or VM me with which kind of Spiritomb you want. You can request gender for spitbacks onlt, but not for the regular spread.
2. Put something up on the GTS that is not easily snipeable asking for a lv1-10 Spiritomb. Put "pizza rolls" in the message. I love them pizza rolls. Don't forget to tell me your IGN and what you posted.
3. ????
4. Profit!
5. Feel free to take the optimal spread one and a spitback or two, just be prompt with your posting and requests.

Hopefully this will go on for the night or until I give away all six, I will breed more depending on demand.

EDIT: I also love giving nicknames, feel free to ask for them. If I really love the name, you might have a better chance of winning the 6IV male ;)

Last edited:
Age of Kings : Hey,your giveaway is pretty nice ! :D
I'll deposite a lv 15 Magikarp in 15 hours from now, asking for a Spiritomb, I'd like the regular Brave spread (hopefully getting the 6IV *.*)

As a nickname, could you possibly call it "Spirithumb" ? :D

Thanks a lot ! :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Age of Kings I'm wondering why Pain Split is "only a convenience for those who would like to use Spiritomb outside of the competition." It may not be it's best option but it has it's uses, especially if you're running physical 'tomb and you get burned. If it's because it's a normal type move I just want to point out that it works against ghosts because it's a status move, not an attacking move...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Gourmont Looks like Wi-Fi is down, but I won't be able to be online in 15 hours. I have work and all. I will be around at the same time tomorrow night if you can make it!

cant say Nah, it's because I feel it has limited use and a dedicated Rest set is a better option if you want sustain on Spiritomb.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'll be available when you are back, but the karp will be online, don't worry about it :)
I'll check often for it not being picked by someone else :3

I got a shiny Latias with perfect iv's in HP, DEFENSE, SP.ATK, SP.DEF and SPEED and with a timid nature from wonder trade. The Latias had the transfer moves Icy Wind, Tailwind, Magic Coat and Trick.

I'm going to use this Latias in Battle Spot Doubles, but I'm not quite sure what moves, item or what ev spread to give her.

The only thing i could think of was:
image.jpg
Latias @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Def / 44 SpA
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Trick
- Recover
- Draco Meteor

The choice Specs can be tricked away to a physical attacker, or i could keep it and use Draco Meteor.(I will probably trick it away) A problem with this is that i can't trick away my Choice Specs to a special attacker, and sometimes the only pokemon out in the enemys team is special attackers, wich is bad of course. But anyway, i use Tailwind to boost speed, and Recover to heal. But i kinda want to switch Recover with Protect, and I'm not quite sure about if i want to keep Tailwind, since I have a support Talonflame with priority Tailwind, but i guess it is good to have two Tailwinders.

Is this a good moveset, ev spread and item? Do you think i should change anything, and if you think i should, what should i change? Also sorry for my bad english :P

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi CreeperWithStyle and welcome to Smogon!

Firstly, you do not need to make a whole new thread for this topic, you could instead ask in the Simple Questions thread or in the general Doubles Discussion thread.

Second, and not to be too much of a party pooper but personally I would be a little suspicious of the legitimacy of that Latias, I mean who just sends out perfect shinies with tutor moves over Wonder Trade?

Thirdly, to me that set looks a little gimmicky but could work if pulled off successfully. Like you said there may not be anything on the opposing side that you could cripple effectively with a Choice Specs, special attackers are quite popular due to the amount of Intimidate support going around, and also Mega Stones can not be Tricked away either. If you happen to be in that situation then you are basically locked into Draco Meteor, which after one use pretty much makes Latias dead weight. You also can't fully make use of Latias' support moves if you can not get rid of its Specs, meaning no Tailwind or Recover.

Because it has all tutor moves which can't be relearned in XY, you need to think hard about which ones you want to keep. I honestly don't see any use for Magic Coat but someone else may come up with something... Tailwind and Icy Wind are redundant on the same set as they are both forms of speed control. I think Icy Wind would be more valuable here because it doesn't get shut down by Taunt and will take a chunk out of things like Garchomp, Salamence etc. without having to resort to Draco Meteor. And of course there's Trick which really only serves the purpose of crippling something, if you want to keep that then I think a Trick + three attacks set is more viable, maybe even two attacks with Recover.

Anyway, since it has a Timid nature I think it would be more suited to a speedy support role, maybe something like:

Latias @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
- Tailwind / Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock / Protect / Recover

or...

Latias @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt / Recover
- Trick

Hope this helped somewhat, I'm not the best doubles battler so hopefully some other users can post their thoughts.

Hey, I've been wanting to get into battling more and have been thinking that Battle Spot might be a nice fit for me. I have competitive pokemon galore on my game but have never been very good at actually using them. The thought of everyone seeing my name at the top is a pretty neat thought, too. ^__^;

Any advise on where to start/what to use on a team? I think I'll probably lean more towards Doubles/Triples/Rotation because I've always sucked at singles no matter what but have actually done not-terrible a couple times in doubles. That being said, I'd like to actually become decent at singles someday/not counting it out (just saying from past experiences, I'm maybe beyond hope lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)