Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

I saw that with the release of bank, Tapu Lele dropped down a bit in OU rankings, with people saying her scarf set is outclassed now but the stall breaker set being scary still. Does this apply to battle spot singles as well? Basically I want to know whether I should be going for Timid or Modest when running myself ragged trying to nail HP Fire on Lele (already lost like half a day to it). After seeing everything, I am leaning towards Modest, but am looking for some confirmation on this matter. Bonus points if it's the preferred nature for doubles.
Scarf Lele is still a threatening cleaner, but the meta adapted to it and the pokebank release have given us even more tools to handle it.
When building a battle spot singles team, imo, you still have to respect Scarf Tapu Lele's power. For example building mons to outspeed it when going +1 (i.e. Flare Charge CharY running a Timid nature instead of a Modest one). So yeah Scarf Lele is still a viable pick and can be a pretty good Choice Scarf user in the proper team, but it's no anymore the "braindead" click + win call that it was in the prebank meta.
If i were using Scarf Lele, i would be using a Timid nature on it, since it outspeeds threats such as Pheromosa, +1 Adamant CharX, +1 Modest CharY and so on..
Anyway Scarf Modest is good, and can be used, but imo Timid is better; this obviously for Singles.

I saw that with the release of bank, Tapu Lele dropped down a bit in OU rankings, with people saying her scarf set is outclassed now but the stall breaker set being scary still. Does this apply to battle spot singles as well? Basically I want to know whether I should be going for Timid or Modest when running myself ragged trying to nail HP Fire on Lele (already lost like half a day to it). After seeing everything, I am leaning towards Modest, but am looking for some confirmation on this matter. Bonus points if it's the preferred nature for doubles.
I generally prefer Modest, including for Scarf builds. Timid Scarf outspeeds Pheromosa, which is nice if your team otherwise struggles against it, but in most cases the extra damage is more useful. A couple examples: Modest Tapu Lele has-better-than-a-coinflip odds to OHKO non-bulky Charizard-X and Mimikyu with Psychic, while Timid has a single digit chance.

Don't know anything about doubles, though.

Had pretty much the same question about Volcarona. Quite conflicted between Modest and Timid. The general opinion and based on the battle spot single stats on PGL is modest but just wanted the opinion of the users here. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this is a valid question for this forum, but; how are you all raising your pokemon to lvl 100 for hyper training? I'm so sick of the e4 and trying to get festival coins. surely there's an easier way?

I'm not sure if this is a valid question for this forum, but; how are you all raising your pokemon to lvl 100 for hyper training? I'm so sick of the e4 and trying to get festival coins. surely there's an easier way?
Dunno if this is okay to discuss here, though it isn't hacking per se, but there is a glitch in Poke Pelago that was recently discovered that makes all tasks auto-complete after a month: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/co...glitch_that_lets_you_finish/?ref=search_posts

Really easy to do, if you don't mind your clock being messed up, though all this really affects are festival plaza shops, berries that you can collect under trees, and POSSIBLY the win streak rewards for Battle Tree. Poke Pelago itself is not negatively affected, and it seems like you can still get the daily free heart scales you can get for dining with the Kahunas. You can use this method to grind 18 pokemon to 100 much quicker, as well as collect shards for bottle caps, EV train, hatch eggs, and even grow tons of berries all in within minutes.

Feel free to delete this post if this is against the rules to discuss, though I saw nothing that said glitches and exploits weren't okay.

So the new Viability Rankings just came out and i was wondering what set makes Garchomp a S ranking mon? I dont think is that good in this meta, but maybe im not using him right. I tried the Scarf set and didnt like it cause with the Tapus you can barely spam Outrage/D.Claw and being locked into EQ is never a good thing but in the other hand, his S rank partner, Lele, can Spam Psychic/Moonblast and sweep way easier with her Scarf set... So...

Oh, and the same goes to Kanga. A+ is kinda high for me because the nerf really hurt her damage output, failing to get some KOs.

EDIT: A Set Viability rankings would be a great idea :heart:

Last edited:
So ive been doing my best to get into pokemon online battles. Been copying some mons from this site and working on getting decent with them. However I feel like I dont have a clue what im really doing and looking for either a player in the same situation who wants to practise or someone with a clue who wants to take me under his wing.

So the new Viability Rankings just came out and i was wondering what set makes Garchomp a S ranking mon? I dont think is that good in this meta, but maybe im not using him right. I tried the Scarf set and didnt like it cause with the Tapus you can barely spam Outrage/D.Claw and being locked into EQ is never a good thing but in the other hand, his S rank partner, Lele, can Spam Psychic/Moonblast and sweep way easier with her Scarf set... So...

Oh, and the same goes to Kanga. A+ is kinda high for me because the nerf really hurt her damage output, failing to get some KOs.

EDIT: A Set Viability rankings would be a great idea :heart:
The thing with Garchomp is that it has the fantastic ability to fit in mostly every team. This because it has the combination of a great typing, good stats and a suitable movepool, making it a good call in many situations. That's why it's so high in the rankings, and there aren't many pokemon around that you would see as much as Garchomp.

About Mega Kangaskhan, not only its damage output is still high, having tools like STAB Double-Edge and Power-Up Punch, but it remains a very versatile pokemon, being able to run a lot of sets, from a full physically offensive one to mixed or special sets, with its HUGE movepool, making it hard to predict.
Also, hitting twice means that you will increase your chances to get a Flinch (Rock Slide 51%), a Status (Secret Power 51% paralysis, Ice Beam 19% freeze, Fire Blast 19% burn) or a induce negative boost twice (Rock Tomb giving -2 per turn to speed for example).
This makes it a quite unique pokemon.
It probably isn't the ++++S Tier it was in gen6 anymore, but an A+ rank is pretty legit imo.

Last edited:
Just a quick question: how much speed should run Mega Zard Y in this BSD meta?
Is timid Lele/jolly Landorus-Therian this common to require a timid nature?
Thanks!

Just a quick question: how much speed should run Mega Zard Y in this BSD meta?
Is timid Lele/jolly Landorus-Therian this common to require a timid nature?
Thanks!
It depends if you have ways to control the speed, such as Tailwind or Trick Room, or if you can guard it with Wide Guard / Follow me.
Imo without those you should run Timid max speed CharY, since outspeeding those two you've written is pretty crucial and if there is a chance to face some max speed Lele/Lando, you should definitely consider it (and still hope that they are not Scarfed).

If you have ways to guard it, you could also go with a more offensive variant, with a modest nature.
Another good way to defend charY from its threat, is to threaten those with a partner that can check them. For example Greninja is fast and could take out Lele with Gunk Shot and Landorus with Ice Beam

Last edited:
Got a modest HP fire lele with a cool method that made things go much quicker, which I'll post here (though I do have a question):
- Catch a Primeape
- Teach it Final Gambit via the move relearner, and make sure it has 171 HP and 136 Speed (149 for timid). Use vitamins, berries and EV boosting items to adjust the stats if needed (mine was at 54 when I caught it, so I just used the poke pelago glitch to bump it up the required amount fairly quickly).
- Faint a synchronize user in first slot
- Lead with Primeape on second slot. If lele outspeeds primeape, reset. If lele dies against final gambit, reset.
- After catching it, make sure its spatk is lower than 196 (179 for timid), and either atk is lower than 112 or def is lower than 113, otherwise reset.

This allows you to filter through IV setups that won't end up being fire at a rapid pace, and is a huge boon considering the much lower chance of getting HP fire with legendaries, due to the 3 perfect IVs. And obviously this works with most/all of them, which brings me to my actual question.

What's the preferred Hidden Power for Tapu Koko on battle spot, Ice or Fire? In the OU builds I see Ice is applicable to more sets, but does that apply to battle spot? Or is fire going to be more useful?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got a modest HP fire lele with a cool method that made things go much quicker, which I'll post here (though I do have a question):
- Catch a Primeape
- Teach it Final Gambit via the move relearner, and make sure it has 171 HP and 136 Speed (149 for timid). Use vitamins, berries and EV boosting items to adjust the stats if needed (mine was at 54 when I caught it, so I just used the poke pelago glitch to bump it up the required amount fairly quickly).
- Faint a synchronize user in first slot
- Lead with Primeape on second slot. If lele outspeeds primeape, reset. If lele dies against final gambit, reset.
- After catching it, make sure its spatk is lower than 196 (179 for timid), and either atk is lower than 112 or def is lower than 113, otherwise reset.

This allows you to filter through IV setups that won't end up being fire at a rapid pace, and is a huge boon considering the much lower chance of getting HP fire with legendaries, due to the 3 perfect IVs. And obviously this works with most/all of them, which brings me to my actual question.
this strategy has been known for a long time (I know this is a gen 6 guide but the gen 7 one isn't finished yet).
What's the preferred Hidden Power for Tapu Koko on battle spot, Ice or Fire? In the OU builds I see Ice is applicable to more sets, but does that apply to battle spot? Or is fire going to be more useful?
Depends on your team and what you need to hit. Ground is also a good type but probably less-so in the post-bank meta sine Marowak-A isn't as prevalent.

What are the usual EVs and set for Primarina on battle spot?
Not sure about the EV spread but this is its most common set:

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Aqua Jet

How viable is Wishiwashi? What spread does it usually run? (spreads are not reflected on the official usage stats...)
If we're talking about Singles, this littlle fish is not viable at all and won't get you anywhere against experienced players.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How viable is Wishiwashi? What spread does it usually run? (spreads are not reflected on the official usage stats...)
I imagine the spread is 252 SpA 252 HP 4 Atk, as the most common nature is Quiet and Trick Room does not require speed. Generally Trick Room Pokemon like to invest in HP, but since it's mixed, Attack investment could be possible. I'd imagine not because it has such a low HP stat and its ability requires it to have a lot of HP. The only physical move it uses is Earthquake.

Unfortunately (and kinda sad because I really like Wishiwashi) its typing really lets it down offensively and defensively. It doesn't get any useful resistances or immunities to switch in on, and due to its ability every little hit hurts it. Having no dual STAB hurts it a lot offensively, pretty much any bulky Water-type can come in on it. No boosting moves hurt it as well, and it lacks the Speed and HP to be an offensive pivot. So it is really unfortunate. It does have really good offensive stats, but honestly a Pokemon with better general stats can just come in and take a turn or two to set up and then be in better shape. So it's hard to find a way to justify using it.

One thing I can see possibly being useful is Waterium-Z, but that only really works on general defensive threats like Celesteela and Cresselia; bulky Water and Grass Pokemon don't really care. And it takes up your Z-move slot too, so I wouldn't say it is worth it unless you are really dead-set on using it.

I wouldn't count out a high ranking Japanese team finding a cool way to use it in the future, but for now it doesn't seem like it is worth it over other offensive and bulky Water-types.

So I want to make a sun team and need a sun setter. Zard-y is the best one but I would rather use my mega on something else. So that leaves:

Torkoal - slow so guaranteed to set sun or
Ninetales - seems like the obvious choice.

Is there any value in using Torkoal on battle spot or should I stick with Zard-y - Ninetales?

So I want to make a sun team and need a sun setter. Zard-y is the best one but I would rather use my mega on something else. So that leaves:

Torkoal - slow so guaranteed to set sun or
Ninetales - seems like the obvious choice.

Is there any value in using Torkoal on battle spot or should I stick with Zard-y - Ninetales?
If we are talking about Doubles (and i guess we are), Torkoal is actually pretty strong. Its speed tier ensures that it will be slower (and outspeed) a lot of mons under Trick Room. It also gets Eruption, so imagine the damage of it under the sun.

Imo if you are ok with playing a Trick Room team or a mixed one (for example having 2 fast mon and 2 slow one like Torkoal + Oranguru / Mega Mence + Scarf Nihilego) Torkoal is actually a pretty solid choice.
A cool thing that you can do with Torkoal to mitigate its slow speed, outside of the trickroom, is to use Lilligant in the sun, with the move After You and letting Torkoal attack just after it (meaning that it will most likely attack before everyone else).

So yeah, if you don't want to use CharY Torkoal is actually a pretty cool choice. This of course if we are speaking of Doubles.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)