Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

I wasn't sure if I should post again but I've been experimenting, changing moves slightly or putting on different team members one at a time. I'm using basically the same team now because espeon didn't pan out at all, but I feel like I rarely ever take rotom-w unless they have something like suicune or some other bulky setup pokemon. I hate to ask these kinds of questions cause sometimes they're just really hard for people to answer, but any ideas as to what I could look into replacing it with that could also handle stuff like suicune? I'm using the lineup I posted before of M-gengar/Talonflame/Breloom/Rotom-W/Dragonite/Porygon2. I noticed I often get into stall wars and lose, too (often when I don't bring gengar because their team is stacked with threats my other pokemon take on better but they take the one thing that throws me off).

Sorry if it's kinda vague but I thought I'd ask.

N
I like to put Stealth Rock into Excadrill's last slot so that it has something to do with a free turn if it forces something out, and it helps a bunch against defensive teams as well. Of course, you have to switch once it's used, but as long as you have something bulky in the back that can survive a switch-in then you should be okay. You won't be using it often, but it's a better overall move than, say, Aerial Ace or Poison Jab (Azumarill can OHKO with Choice Band Aqua Jet so it's sort of not a great idea, sorry freekhoorn :c ).

As for your other three, you'd definitely benefit from a Grass-type to help out against Azumarill as you do need some extra help against it - Mega Manectric still takes far too much from a +5 Aqua Jet, Feraligatr needs the boost to 2HKO with Waterfall and can KO after a Belly Drum with Waterfall+Aqua Jet but it's not a win condition you can rely on, and Excadrill is lol. I'd suggest running a Dragon-type to deal with that - most of them are faster and can take Aqua Jet, meaning that you can stop a sweep using a super-effective move. Choice Specs Thunderbolt Latios is a good example; a Dragalge with 68 Spe EVs will outspeed 12 Spe Azumarill and OHKO with Sludge Wave. These Pokémon both deal with Mega Venusaur for you really well, something that a Grass type would have great difficulty achieving (except for maybe Serperior with +2 Dragon Pulse but that's sketchy too). Dragalge in particular gives you a bigger problem with SD Garchomp though, so perhaps Latios is the better pick. Specs Latios gives you a strong Psychic attack for Venusaur, a strong Draco Meteor for practically everything else, a way of beating stall with Trick and your Azumarill killer with Thunderbolt.
not even 5 procent of the azumarils have choice band, according to the stats in global link at the moment.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
not even 5 procent of the azumarils have choice band, according to the stats in global link at the moment.
Even so, you're still taking upwards of 90% from any other variant, leaving Excadrill severely weakened and locked into Poison Jab (in other words, they switch in a Steel type and you know the rest). I just really don't think it's a risk that you can take when you could run one of Azumarill's more reliable counters, like Venusaur or Serperior or Qwilfish.

Hey guys, this is my team. It is a bulky offensive team with lots of bulk, high attack, but low speed. The idea is to recover back damage with all the recovery my team has and then ko my opponents after some time. I made this team a few months ago, when i had not as much experience as a player now and when the metagame was still of early xy.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

My mega for the team. It is the only pokemon without recovery but i really need the extra coverage of power gem for examples like volcarona, cause they often go for quiver dance first while i ko with the rock type move. Pretty straightforward, this one is my lead pokemon in most of the cases cause i want to mega evolve it as soon as possible to get the defensive interesting dragon type and more bulk. It is bulky and strong and slow, so a typical example of my team.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Hail
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Toxic

My favorite pokemon. I think avalugg is so underrated cause it can counter almost all physical attacking pokemon except for some fire types, although with flare blits recoil and rocky helmet damage it often gets them in ko-range. It is also the counter for physical salamence and kanghaskan.

Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Slack Off
- Rock Slide

My second physical wall. I really like having two physical walls, cause they compliment eachother in terms of typing, avalugg can take care of flying (and dragon) types better while hippowdon can do something against physical attacking steel types.

Florges (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

My florges is the cleric of the team and the special wall. I really like the wishpassing as with only three pokemon one good timed wishpassing can change the game. Protect is for if florges wants the hp of wish itself while not damaged. It sometimes has trouble with mega charizard y but in the right circumstances hippowdon and mega-Ampharos can deal with him. It has safety goggles because of no hail/sand damage from my physical walls, and it also helps against spore breloom xd. I discovered that by surprise actually but it often works and can take care of breloom in cojunction with hail/sand damage or aegislash his shadow sneak.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 124 SpA / 60 SpD
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

My answer to venusaur heatran and ferrothorn. With its magic guard ability, life orb damage and toxic and leech seed damage is ignored. With psychic and fighting coverage it can deal super effective damage on them. Im not sure about the ev's, cause they are not based on anything actually xd, i just felt like investing in all of the four stats.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

My only pokemon with priority, and the physical setup-pokemon on the team. I really like the perfect normal coverage of fighting and ghost, and a lot of people expect the special set so this works as a surprise for those people often.

Pokemon i have trouble with are mixed pokemon with both high attack and special attack, excadrill and lucario and mega mawile. Moves like substitute and taunt are a pain for my team too.

Does somebody have tips for ev's or better moves, items, abilities or even pokemon? If you are suggesting another pokemon, please stick to my team idea of bulky offense so no mega gengar/blaziken please :p.

Hey guys, this is my team.
I am afraid to say to much, as I myself haven't even broke the 1700 mark in BattleSpot :P
But, after looking over your team I can tell you which flags poped up for me ^^
With all the bulkiness, you have 2 flaws, the damage output and the speed.

First one I can't say much about, maybe your team can make up the lack of damage with tanking enough damage, I am not qualified enough to say.
You can check it yourself with this tool http://nuggetbridge.com/damagecalc/

Second one, I would suggest Trick Room, Reuniclus is a great Trick Room setter for example, I use it myself in my SandRoom team ^^
It would open up Gyro Ball for Aegislash too.
And Ampharos is so slow it makes it great to use during Trick Room even in Mega form.

If you would go for a Trick Room, my suggestion is to get one more Pokemon that can set it up, as a team made around it falls flat if their team hard counters your only Trick Room setter.
I use Carbink as my second setter (My main setter in fact, love him!)

Last edited:
Since there werent a lot reactions i got the right from Hulavuta to ask again to rate my team. Anyone suggestions? Two posts above this one is my team with explanations :D

Since there werent a lot reactions i got the right from Hulavuta to ask again to rate my team. Anyone suggestions? Two posts above this one is my team with explanations :D
The only thing I'd like to touch on is your Hippowdon set. I feel like Fire Fang isn't all that useful and I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to hit with it, I'm guessing ferrothorn but that just seems eh to me because you have reuniclus which basically sets up all over ferrothorn and can hit it with focus blast. I'd replace Fire Fang with Yawn or Whirlwind since those moves are both really useful.

freekhoorn, I have some suggestions.

I don't think Florges is all that great in Battle Spot Singles, its low Defense and HP really let it down, when there are a lot of physical attackers present in the meta. Also, Wishpassing and a cleric isn't that great in 3v3, since everything is very offensive in the format and you won't have much time to have to Wishpass or and maybe cure your team of status without sacrificing a poke to faint. That's just my opinion though, I'm not too experienced with Wish or Aromatherapy in 3v3 because I never see it at all or use it(another reason why I think it's not great). If you wish to replace Florges with something more offensive but still bulky, try Assault Vest Azumarill, it could help with Volcarona, which means that Ampharos can now run Volt Switch or something else in the Power Gem slot.

If you still wish to go along the lines of a cleric, Florges still works, but I feel like Clefable is the better cleric. It gives off bigger wishes, has more physical bulk, and you can use Magic Guard to avoid status or Unaware to stop boosting sweepers. It's weaker offensively, but is overall the better support poke.

Also, if you are concerned about Sleep Powder Venusaur while you are trying to setup with Reuniclus, and don't care about the loss of power from LO, try using Safety Goggles Reuniclus. It still helps with Breloom, and can use the attempted spore fail to set up a CM. You'll be surprised on how many people it fools. If you do that, Florges/Clefable can hold a more useful item like Leftovers or Sitrus Berry (or even LO for Magic Guard Clefable).

And about the Natures on your pokes...

Ampharos: Could be Quiet w/ 0Spe IVs to take a hit from min Spe Aegi and hit it in blade form.

Hippowdon: Same thing as Ampharos, only Relaxed.

Reuniclus: idk what nature yours is, but Bold with 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA or Spe could work.

Aegislash: Adamant nature should run 252 Spe Evs. If investing in bulk, I recommend Brave nature.

If you decide to not slow down your Ampharos or Hippowdon, taking a bit of bulk away and investing in speed can help for outspeeding neutral base 50s like Azu and Mega Mawile. Aegi doesn't really need to be slowed down either.

That's all I can say from a glance at your team. Interesting team!

freekhoorn, I have some suggestions.

I don't think Florges is all that great in Battle Spot Singles, its low Defense and HP really let it down, when there are a lot of physical attackers present in the meta. Also, Wishpassing and a cleric isn't that great in 3v3, since everything is very offensive in the format and you won't have much time to have to Wishpass or and maybe cure your team of status without sacrificing a poke to faint. That's just my opinion though, I'm not too experienced with Wish or Aromatherapy in 3v3 because I never see it at all or use it(another reason why I think it's not great). If you wish to replace Florges with something more offensive but still bulky, try Assault Vest Azumarill, it could help with Volcarona, which means that Ampharos can now run Volt Switch or something else in the Power Gem slot.

If you still wish to go along the lines of a cleric, Florges still works, but I feel like Clefable is the better cleric. It gives off bigger wishes, has more physical bulk, and you can use Magic Guard to avoid status or Unaware to stop boosting sweepers. It's weaker offensively, but is overall the better support poke.

Also, if you are concerned about Sleep Powder Venusaur while you are trying to setup with Reuniclus, and don't care about the loss of power from LO, try using Safety Goggles Reuniclus. It still helps with Breloom, and can use the attempted spore fail to set up a CM. You'll be surprised on how many people it fools. If you do that, Florges/Clefable can hold a more useful item like Leftovers or Sitrus Berry (or even LO for Magic Guard Clefable).

And about the Natures on your pokes...

Ampharos: Could be Quiet w/ 0Spe IVs to take a hit from min Spe Aegi and hit it in blade form.

Hippowdon: Same thing as Ampharos, only Relaxed.

Reuniclus: idk what nature yours is, but Bold with 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA or Spe could work.

Aegislash: Adamant nature should run 252 Spe Evs. If investing in bulk, I recommend Brave nature.

If you decide to not slow down your Ampharos or Hippowdon, taking a bit of bulk away and investing in speed can help for outspeeding neutral base 50s like Azu and Mega Mawile. Aegi doesn't really need to be slowed down either.

That's all I can say from a glance at your team. Interesting team!
Oh i really like your ideas! Gonna give hippowdon yawn and gonna speed creep it so it can deal with mawile better. What do you think will be the best way to give the 28 ivs in speed it needs. Should i get it from hp, defense, or a combination of both? Im also gonna do unaware clefable, and I think im just gonna give it safety goggles cause i want to keep my life orb on reuniclus and i dont really encounter a lot mega venusaurs with sleep powder. I dont think full defense on reuniclus is what i want, because i want it to counter non-sleep powder mega venusaur and want to give it a good chance against other calm mind users like suicune.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As far as Wishpassing and Clerical work in 3v3 goes, I feel that Healing Wish is the way to go. Like Creeper said, the meta is so fast paced that you'll end up sacking something in the process of trying to heal a teammate, you might as well get both HP and status healed in the same turn, while also getting your target Pokemon in for free (like a slow Volt Switch). As far us users go, you've got Latias who is probably the best, but you can also use Gardevoir, Clefable, Lopunny, Blissey or Mesprit

My attempt at building a team…

Volcarona @ Lum Berry

Ability: Flame Body

Level: 50

EVs: 116 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 132 Spe

Modest Nature

- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Bug Buzz

Outspeeds Breloom, and Mega Manectric/Lopunny at +1. The other EVs are poured into offense and HP, which is an odd number. Wrecks Ferrothorn and other grass types that might give my team problems. I’m not sure if I should keep Lum Berry or give it Safety Goggles instead. Thoughts? Anyway, this is what this team was supposed to be built around, but I don’t actually use it that often. :(

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Impish Nature

- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Yawn
- Slack Off

Needed something to wall Talonflame, since this team is pretty weak to it. Not sure if I want to keep Ice Fang or put Rock Tomb on it because hitting Garchomp with Ice Fang is really nice. Smooth Rock to support Excadrill.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite

Ability: Overgrow

EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 36 SpA / 60 SpD / 60 Spe

Bold Nature

- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Venusaur on a sand team and with synthesis might seem counterproductive, but it’s actually really good with Leech Seed and Giga, and it’s really good at its job of beating most waters as well as Breloom, something that this team definitely needs. Furthermore, even with Smooth Rock, sand doesn’t last as long as one might expect.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash

Ability: Sand Rush

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

With Hippowdon on here, I figured “why not?” Pretty standard set. Pulls a lot of weight.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA

Quiet Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Takes care of terrifying monstrosities like Mega-Gardevoir, and overall just really good.

Greninja @ Life Orb

Ability: Protean

EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe

Timid Nature

- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

I don’t really remember why I put this on here. HP Fire is for Ferrothorn. Greninja’s not exactly bad. No gunk shot since I have Venusaur and two steel types on this team, so I’m not really fearing fairies.

Anyway, please give suggestions! However, if you suggest a change in pokemon, please do not suggest any legendaries, as I want to be able to breed this team on cartridge, and I do not have the time to SR. Also, I would love to be able to keep Volcarona, although moveset and EV changes will be noted. Anyway, the main problem I see currently is a weakness to Y-Zard.

PPB Ice fang for hippowdon is not necessary. You can win from any garchomp anyway even if you switch in to swords dance as you can go for yawn and recover back the damage. Also for landorous you dont need it imo, i run hippowdon myself. Since you want to wall talonflame with it, why dont run rock slide? It has great coverage with earthquake cause it hits flying types super effectively. Good team for the rest i think!

Just from glancing at your team PPB, do you have any problems with Mega Kangaskhan? It seems like you lack a an efficient way of beating it.

What is the Mega Venusaur spread for? It seems like it's designed to do something, but you didn't state it.

Like freekhoorn said, you should really run Rock Slide over Ice Fang on Hippo because your Hippo is for Talonflame.

Sand Rush Exca should have LO or Air Balloon as item imo, it's going to be outspeeding everything and spreading pain, so there's not too much reason for a sash. Hippo + Exca should take care of Megazard Y, so it's your best bet to use those two whenever you see Charizard in team preview, even though that can be a tad predictable.

As for teammates, one suggestion I would make (it may not be a good one) is to give Hippo Rocky Helmet to deal with M-Kanga a bit better, and drop Excadrill for something else, preferably something that can take care of Megazard Y on its own. LO Terrakion is an example of a pokemon can check Megazard Y and check Mega Kangaskhan, and is a pretty solid poke in this format. It also gets a special defense boost from Hippo's Sand Stream.

Reactions: PPB
Thanks guys! I’ll replace ice fang with rock slide. Are there any important OHKOs that rock slide gets that rock tomb doesn’t?

I don’t really know about mega kanga. Surprisingly few people use it on the PS ladder (esp. when compared to the ingame ladder), which I find odd.

Aegislash can deal with kang but it doesn’t like it. I think Hippo + Exca also do okay against it in tandem as long as hippo is already out so it doesn’t have to switch in on PuP. LO might work but I do feel that focus sash gives me more opportunities to get up SD, so I’m not too keen on Air Balloon. I also feel that focus sash makes my matchups slightly better against talon and Y-zard (if Y-zard switches in on Hippo, it destroys both Hippo and Exca since it brings the sun). Excadrill so far has proven very useful. I don’t know if replacing it with Terrakion would be better; I’d have to test it. Getting rid of smooth rock might prove helpful to Venusaur, though. If I run Terrakion I doubt the Sandstorm boost would matter much on cartridge because I’d probably have bad defense IVs. :( Would Excadrill be the poke to replace, or is there something I can substitute for Greninja to get rid of Kanga? Also, what would I give Greninja if I give Terrakion the LO (I wouldn’t like Focus Sash because of sandstorm)?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks guys! I’ll replace ice fang with rock slide. Are there any important OHKOs that rock slide gets that rock tomb doesn’t?

I don’t really know about mega kanga. Surprisingly few people use it on the PS ladder (esp. when compared to the ingame ladder), which I find odd.
PS has different players and an overall smaller playerbase so it's to be expected. There aren't many Japanese on it, for example.

Rock Tomb only has a 18.8% chance to OHKO Talonflame, although it'll be rarely at full health due to recoil and Rocky Helmet. It doesn't OHKO Charizard either, those are the main targets. Still, it has better accuracy so most people find it worth (it's in the top 4 most used moves for Hippowdon).

Reactions: PPB

Aegislash can deal with kang but it doesn’t like it. I think Hippo + Exca also do okay against it in tandem as long as hippo is already out so it doesn’t have to switch in on PuP. LO might work but I do feel that focus sash gives me more opportunities to get up SD, so I’m not too keen on Air Balloon. I also feel that focus sash makes my matchups slightly better against talon and Y-zard (if Y-zard switches in on Hippo, it destroys both Hippo and Exca since it brings the sun). Excadrill so far has proven very useful. I don’t know if replacing it with Terrakion would be better; I’d have to test it. Getting rid of smooth rock might prove helpful to Venusaur, though. If I run Terrakion I doubt the Sandstorm boost would matter much on cartridge because I’d probably have bad defense IVs. :( Would Excadrill be the poke to replace, or is there something I can substitute for Greninja to get rid of Kanga? Also, what would I give Greninja if I give Terrakion the LO (I wouldn’t like Focus Sash because of sandstorm)?
I only mentioned giving Hippo another item other than Smooth Rock and taking away Exca because M-Venusaur is seriously hindered on that team, and if you replace that, your team will have trouble with bulky waters. What are you exactly setting up on with Excadrill? It usually has enough opportunities to set up an SD, and when your sash is used, you're extremely weak to priority, which is common. Focus Sash is still a great item for it, but I feel Air Balloon could be a bit better to set up on things like Garchomp. Terrakion was just an example as well; you don't have to switch it out for Excadrill. It really isn't the best choice for your team, I can't just think of one atm. Greninja kinda serves as your Gengar and M-Mence check on your team, so it still is useful. Completely forgot about the LO on Greninja, my bad. Terrakion could also use a Choice Scarf set, or if you want power, go for Expert Belt. All I can recommend now is to test out the team a bit more and see what problems you have with specific pokemon other than Char Y, and list any more problems here so we can help :)

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of updating my rain team as seen here since the meta has shifted quite a bit since then. Namely the fall in usage of Mega Salamence.

I'm not going to update the RMT just yet though, I'm still laddering to make sure that this team can be viable in high-ladder play. I just want to ask for opinions as I'm rebuilding it :) Here's the new team so far:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Rest

Description in original thread

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

The biggest change is switching out Salamence for Manectric. A mega that can function out of rain but still benefit from it. Also, having a physical and special mega works out quite nicely for defense coverage.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Conkeldurr was there primarily as a status absorber but Chansey works just as well. The only problem is that Toxic doesn't mesh well with rain a lot of the time since you want to make the most use of rain turns rather than stall.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Stallbreaker Talonflame. Having this makes me reconsider encore on Politoed, I may be able to use SleepTalk instead.

Overall I think that the offense type coverage is lacking in this team and there are a lot of similar type weaknesses. I'll continue to build on this but I'd appreciate any feedback or tips as I work towards Lonely Storm Remix 2! Sorry for the lack of description, I'll be updating them as I go

Last edited:
Your Chansey set looks unoptimized for the format. You should run Substitute/Thunder Wave, Minimize, Soft-Boiled, and Seismic Toss. Also, that EV spread is horrendous. You should run 4 HP/ 252 DEF/ 252 SPDEF bold or calm nature depend on you. Best ability choice don't change it. Best item choice again, don't change it. Since Rating Battles Battle Spot now has nicknames show, you should nickname it RUNSavUsTime. Remember to PP Max every move.

Hey guys, just wanted people's opinions on my team and what I should change/what it is weak to:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed
Jolly

Return
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Earthquake

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Attack/ 252 Special Attack
Quiet

King's Shield
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Sacred Sword

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Attack/ 4 Defense/ 252 Speed
Adamant

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-turn
Will-O-Wisp

Thunderus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Defense/ 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed
Timid

Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Psychic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly

Outrage
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Poison Jab

Azumarill @ Assualt Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP/ 252 Attack/ 16 Special Defense
Adamant

Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Knock Off
Waterfall

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, just wanted people's opinions on my team and what I should change/what it is weak to:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly

Return
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Earthquake

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Attack/ 252 Special Attack
Quiet

King's Shield
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Sacred Sword

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Attack/ 4 Defense/ 252 Speed
Adamant

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-turn
Will-O-Wisp

Thunderus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Defense/ 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed
Timid

Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Psychic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly

Outrage
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Poison Jab

Azumarill @ Assualt Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP/ 252 Attack/ 16 Special Defense
Adamant

Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Knock Off
Waterfall
Hey there, your team members look pretty well rounded / standard (basically the OU mons of battle spot) so I'll just nitpick individual movesets.. (I'm assuming singles here since you didn't specify

For Kang, you may as well go for all out power, that's why I would choose Double Edge > Return. Especially with the Jolly nature you're gonna want as much power as possible..

I really love Shadow Sneak on Aegislash as it gives you a way to pick off stuff at low health without having to King's Shield and tank a move in Shield forme. Shadow Ball is your main move so that's safe, so you have to decide which is more valuable, Flash Cannon or Sacred Sword... Sacred Sword is great for Minimize users but I think it's the least valuable move, so Shadow Sneak > Sacred Sword I think.

I know Talonflame doesn't have that many options for its Banded set, but I don't think Will-O-Wisp is the best option. Sleep Talk is great as it allows you to do something if you cop a Spore / Hypnosis, and Tailwind is great for giving your team some extra speed if you know Talonflame is gonna go down. For now, I'm gonna say Sleep Talk > Will-O-Wisp

For Thundurus, there are so many other moves it could be using over Psychic, which really only hits Mega Venusaur. Other options include Swagger, Nasty Plot, Toxic, Taunt, Sludge Wave / Bomb, Volt Switch / U-turn and Knock Off... That's a lot of things, but for now I'm gonna suggest Taunt > Psychic. Also, since HP Ice requires a 30 Def IV, those 4 Def EVs are doing nothing, move them to either HP or SpDef...

Garchomp looks solid

Azumarill's moveset looks good too, however his EVs should be 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpDef, or 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpDef, since you're wasting EVs by having 240 and 16 respectively.

What reason does Poison Jab on your Garchomp serve? It's a solid choice but depending on why exactly you picked it, I'd suggest another move instead.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
What reason does Poison Jab on your Garchomp serve? It's a solid choice but depending on why exactly you picked it, I'd suggest another move instead.
Azumarill, (Scarf) Togekiss, Sylveon, the rare Florgess. Basically fairy coverage, I think it's definitely worth a moveslot. What other move would you run on Scarf Chomp? I suppose there's Dragon Claw to finish something off and allows you to switch out so you aren't revenge killed so easily. If it were Naive instead of Jolly I would have suggested Fire Blast.. Not really sure what else is viable in that last slot tbh

Fire Blast is nice even if it is Jolly and fire fang can work otherwise since ferrothorns are so common and his team doesn't have a surefire way of dealing with that while grounded fairies are hit for barely anything higher than what EQ hits em with though Togekiss and Whimsicott would be why you would run Poison Jab. Based on his team, I'd suggest a fire move over poison jab as he has ways of dealing with Togekiss and Whimsicott reliably in Thundurus, Aegislash, and Kangaskhan whereas Ferrothorn can prove to be serious trouble. Also, Mega Scizor can set up on Garchomp and sweep which unfortunately I've been on the bad end of that my fair share (probably not more than once but memorable nonetheless) and since this is a Scarf Chomp after all, I'd say fire move is definitely more worth it. Whether you want to run Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Fire Fang up to you to run the calcs and see what you want to do.

I originally thought Poison Jab was to make Chomp a lure for Whimsicott but after looking at the rest of the team, it really doesn't seem worth it especially considering the lack of a way to reliably take Ferro down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)