Battle Tree Discussion and Records

As iVolke said, it is because you need as much Speed as you can, most mons in Tree are scarfed so you need to outspeed them, Pheromosa's atk with life orb and stab covers all you need~
I'm trying your team out because I only needed to sub in Tapu Lele, and so far Pheromosa has missed HJK twice and killed herself. Guess it's just RNG. Do you switch Pheromosa out every time you can't OHKO the pokemon in front of it?

I'm trying your team out because I only needed to sub in Tapu Lele, and so far Pheromosa has missed HJK twice and killed herself. Guess it's just RNG. Do you switch Pheromosa out every time you can't OHKO the pokemon in front of it?
Yes and stab u-turn helps you do that, along with some extra damage for your next switch in. I happened to really, really land A TON of HJK (missed only a few as previously stated), guess it was RNG indeed (Tree is infamous for that), but just this trio helped me go from 0 too 200 in 3 days, I also happened to lose on battle 187 when I had Kartana instead of Mimikyu and was running a Sp.Atk Pheromosa instead

Yes and stab u-turn helps you do that, along with some extra damage for your next switch in. I happened to really, really land A TON of HJK (missed only a few as previously stated), guess it was RNG indeed (Tree is infamous for that), but just this trio helped me go from 0 too 200 in 3 days, I also happened to lose on battle 187 when I had Kartana instead of Mimikyu and was running a Sp.Atk Pheromosa instead
So far this team doesn't play too differently than what I was trying, just subbing Toxapex for Tapu. So far I've gotten a bit lucky having Tapu as my final pokemon and choosing Thunderbolt on a whim, otherwise would've lost to a ghost type next round. You have Speed boost instead of attack on your pheromosa?

Edit: Oh wow Tapu just got outsped by Pinsir, I assume it must`ve had a scarf on.

So far this team doesn't play too differently than what I was trying, just subbing Toxapex for Tapu. So far I've gotten a bit lucky having Tapu as my final pokemon and choosing Thunderbolt on a whim, otherwise would've lost to a ghost type next round. You have Speed boost instead of attack on your pheromosa?
Yes, you need this extra speed to outspeed scarf users which are plenty, you got your great base + life orb/stab for damage.
In all my teams, both in Tree and BattleSpot, I always go for full aggro, it might be a one way trip but high risk/high reward as they say.
In all games I play competitively (and I succeed, as I reached low Master in LoL, Mid-Legend in HS and 1,923 rate in ORAS) I always opt for aggro option over stall/defensive one as it requires little to no planning, you just go all out and abuse the rng element the game offers. You get rewarded for it more times than you might think

Yes, you need this extra speed to outspeed scarf users which are plenty, you got your great base + life orb/stab for damage.
In all my teams, both in Tree and BattleSpot, I always go for full aggro, it might be a one way trip but high risk/high reward as they say.
In all games I play competitively (and I succeed, as I reached low Master in LoL, Mid-Legend in HS and 1,923 rate in ORAS) I always opt for aggro option over stall/defensive one as it requires little to no planning, you just go all out and abuse the rng element the game offers. You get rewarded for it more times than you might think
Yeah I realized I was doing way better with my full Aggro team - Mimikyu, Pheromosa, and Garchomp than I ever did running a Megagross or Toxapex.

Right now still figuring out what Pheromosa OHKOs and what I should U-turn for.

Also, if a HJK is neutral against a pokemon, will Ice Beam do more damage as a supereffective? Pheromosa has all Attack EVs and HJK has way higher base attack.

Yeah I realized I was doing way better with my full Aggro team - Mimikyu, Pheromosa, and Garchomp than I ever did running a Megagross or Toxapex.

Also, if a HJK is neutral against a pokemon, will Ice Beam do more damage as a supereffective? Pheromosa has all Attack EVs and HJK has way higher base attack.
When it comes to Dragons Ice Beam usually 2HKOed them, if they did kill me tho I revenged kill them with Mimikyu afterwards.
Also you can OHKO almost mons to my experience, save from sash/sturdy users or mons that somehow managed to set up, which you revenge kill afterwards.

Also many people ask me why I focus so much on speed, you need speed to kill what Pheromosa could not, along with priority moves, is why I would send out mimikyu before tapu lele, hope this makes sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Also many people ask me why I focus so much on speed, you need speed to kill what Pheromosa could not, along with priority moves, is why I would send out mimikyu before tapu lele, hope this makes sense
Yep, for example Rotom Fan (just ran into it) will not go down in one hit from Pheromosa, so I had to revenge kill it.

Edit: Just lost at 22. HJK missed and Flareon Flare blitzed everything to death. GG me.

Last edited:
Yep, for example Rotom Fan (just ran into it) will not go down in one hit from Pheromosa, so I had to revenge kill it.

Edit: Just lost at 22. HJK missed and Flareon Flare blitzed everything to death. GG me.
As I said 2 years ago with ORAS, ofc skill matters but in the end it's just like Hearthstone, no matter how skilled you might be you will always lose to someone who's at better odds, in this case the Tree with the evasiveness/flinch/crit chance. But this is always the risk you take when taking the Aggro approach.

Okay I have a question for this thread. Is this the right place to ask for teambulding help for the Battle Tree? I have an idea of what pokemon I want to use (albeit I have to wait for the bank update first) but I want to make sure this was the right place before posting.

Coeur7 first of all I did not mean to offend you specifically as you said, sorry, and you can exclude yourself from the above statement. Congrats on your work also.

In Super Single you fight Red at 50 streak, in Super Double you fight Blue, and in Super Multi both. Legends appear only once as far as I know, at 50 streak, so you unlock their theme and battle style.
Between 150 and 200 I fought: Dexio > Colress > Dexio > Mallow > Colress
Note that Mallow is captain

Battle Legends ONLY appears at battle 50 in Super Battles. Every X0 battle you would face the others "legends" (Dexio, Colress, Mallow, Cynthia, Wally, etc) and they are call "Pokemon Trainer". Battle 100, 150, 200 is the same, no Battle Legends, just "cool" old trainers. Me facing Anabel at 100 is just a coincidence, she is just like the other "non-legends but cool as fuck" trainers.

Any suggestions on Agislash for this team:

Dragonite
Multiscale
Adamant, 5IV -SpA
252 speed/Attack 4 HP
Dragon dance
Fire punch
Earthquake
Outrage

Toxipex
regenerator
Bold 5IV -Attack
252 HP/Defense 4 SpD
Toxic
Scald
Recover
Haze

The Agislash is brave 5IV -special attack, and perfect 0 in speed. Any help on the IVs would be appreciated.

Okay what the hell man, does Sheer Force cancel out Emergency Exit?

TEBG-WWWW-WWW2-K5XV
Taken from Bulbapedia:
If (and only if) a move is boosted by the effect of Sheer Force, it will no longer trigger item or Ability effects that activate after attacking. This includes the effects of Eject Button, Shell Bell, and Red Card, as well as the Abilities Color Change and Emergency Exit. If an item has two effects, only the effect(s) that activate after attacking will be negated. Therefore, if a Pokémon holds a Life Orb, it will gain the passive damage boost (because it is not activated after the attack) but the recoil effect afterward will be ignored.

Dragonite is weak to Ice, Rock, Dragon and Fairy which Aegislash resists and Aegislash is weak to Ground, Fire, Ghost and Dark, which Dragonite resists 2 of.
It's not just that. Combined, Dragonite and Aegislash resist every type except Ghost, Dark, and Electric, including Scrappy Normal/Fighting. Additionally, Dragonite's Ground immunity makes PP stalling Edgequake really easy, and either one of them can set up after.

Yeah, this is why we need to be more vigilant about policing obviously fake streaks. The misinformation clogs up the thread and wastes the time of people who try to replicate the alleged results.

For a better indication of how much you can actually rely on 90% accurate moves, check back in the Maison thread where the only streaks even close to 200 involving even a single team member using an attack with less than 100% accuracy would be Icy Wind on Jumpman's Suicune or Play Rough on Azumarill. Those would be the least often used moves on the least essential Pokemon to their particular teams rather than the lead's only attack that can OHKO anything not weak to Ice, Bug, or Poison. Actually, that's being generous because a Pokemon would have to be weak to one of those types AND extremely frail:

4 SpA Life Orb Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Braviary: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anyway, here's a team that actually has reached 200, despite the epic counterteam from Cynthia. JK, she led with Lucario4, which is about as close to free +6 for Aegislash as there is. L48G-WWWW-WWW2-KBA9

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute

VaporeonIce was the first person I saw using this spread; a nice coincidence in the Battle Tree is that it just outspeeds Azelf and Salazzle as +0 Mega Mence. If you're new this generation, this is not a "DD once or twice and sweep" kind of Poke; if you want that or are wondering about how this can hit Rocks or Steels, use Dragonite instead.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

This Aegislash has 81 Speed. When you see people discussing 79 or 81 speed or whatever for it, it comes down to 2 things:

1) There's a ton of stuff with exactly 80 speed and speed ties are especially bad for Aegislash. You want to know for sure whether you can go for the stronger Sacred Sword or if you need to Shadow Sneak or King's Shield so you can boost more.

2) Being faster or slower than 80 is mostly dependent on how your team would handle this relatively common scenario: you set Aegislash up to +6 against the first Pokemon and out comes Magnezone, which can have Sturdy. Outspeeding it means you would have to take a hit in blade form, which likely OHKOs Aegislash. If I see Magnezone 2nd, I'm switching to Chansey.

If your other Pokemon can't switch into a Sturdy Magnezone's Thunderbolt and proceed to take advantage of it (I'm not sure what else could do that on a consistent basis besides Chansey) then it's probably better for Aegislash be slower than it. Note that I just said "be slower than it" and not "have 79 speed." Especially pre-Bank, it's not worth splitting hairs over; just go ahead and use whatever Adamant Aegislash you've got that has an imperfect Speed IV. Looking at the speed tiers slightly below 80, just check to see if you're faster than Scrafty4 before trying to attack it as the blade.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Minimize
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Chansey is the only one that's changed from a team I used during a streak of 2000+ in the Maison; it has Toxic instead of Seismic Toss because of Pokebank restrictions and is running NoCheese's fast Chansey spread. I don't know if I've done enough battles to definitively say I prefer it, but I'm leaning towards yes. Maybe need to use Sub and Softboiled a little more often to set up, but outspeeding Sheer Cold users such as Articuno and Vanilluxe is nice insurance to have (switch Aegislash in on them first though).

One area where the slightly decreased bulk is noticeable is that Magnezone4 can break Chansey's Sub somewhat regularly, which I don't think it could without a crit before (tbh this could also be Analytic kicking in when it wouldn't have before, but I'm too lazy at the moment to check). If Chansey's paralyzed by Thunderbolt on the switch, I'm not as aggressive in seting up Sub/Minimize and am more focused on staying at full health and stalling out its Thunderbolts. For the Tree, it's likely optimal to drop a few Speed EVs to avoid the tie with Mega Garchomp (yes, Chansey speed ties with Garchomp - pretty crazy) and put them into Special Defense to let the Sub survive more often. HP is something you want to keep at an odd number so if you're behind a Sub at 100% you can more easily stall out Close Combats and OHKO moves.

I definitely don't prefer Toxic over Seismic Toss though. At the surface level it seems to be a question of whether you'd rather have to PP stall Ghosts or Steels/Poisons (to which I'd still answer Ghosts) but being Taunt bait is annoying. Here's a battle against lead Taunt Thundurus that made me really have to put my predicting cap on which would have been much easier with Seismic Toss: Q32G-WWWW-WWW2-KC93

One general note especially relevant in the early going: this is a team where PP Maxing everything really comes in handy, but I've prioritized the non-attacking moves on Chansey and then Mence. If you had the equivalent of 2 PP Ups and 2 PP Maxes to spare, I'd max Sub and Soft-Boiled on Chansey and PP Up Sub and Roost on Mence.

In this run I've had exactly one Pokemon faint due to circumstances that weren't "I could take this last mon 1v1 with Chansey or Aegislash, but I'd rather sacrifice it to bring in Mence and finish the battle more quickly," and it was against a Milotic-3 that I thought was PP stalled because of how many times in a row it had used Mirror Coat against Chansey, and of course it used its last Blizzard PP the turn I switched Salamence in to set up. Neverless, here are a couple things in the Tree that could be threats not just to this team, but to the general Dragon-Water-Steel archetype:

Mega Mawile: This is a very, very scary lead on paper and the only way to pull it out is to know that Mawile is going to use all 5 Sucker Punches on Aegislash before using another attacking move. Or at least that's what I'm assuming for the time being because I lost an earlier streak the one time I deviated from that and have beaten sets 3 and 4 a few times otherwise.

If it leads, bring in Aegislash and use SD a couple times at least (+4 Sacred Sword has a 93.8% chance to OHKO). Even if it uses Swords Dance alongside you, you're still going to have to spam King's Shield until it's out of Sucker Punch. I haven't had it come out after Aegislash has KOed something, but if it did I'd spam King's Shield even if I were at +6

Nasty Plot: There are a lot more of these in the Tree than in the Maison, and many of them have Focus Sash to further discourage you from getting too cute with switching around or trying to set up. Unless I have Mence behind a Sub, Salazzle calls for a switch to Chansey. Chansey can't wall it, but you just have to get up a Sub and stall out the 5 Fire Blasts before Aegislash can set up. Against Azelf, I Mega and Return turn 1. If it survives, it's either the one with Explosion (go to Aegislash the next turn) or the Nasty Plot one (set 3). I've found that Azelf3 will use all its Psyshocks on Mence first, so feel free to try to get a Dragon Dance or two while Roosting. For Dragonite it's definitely going to be more complicated due to having to lock into Outrage though.

Last edited:
My battle tree BP farming team. Super fast matches. ( not sure if I could go on long streaks mainly because I'm new here and not nearly as educated on BT poke movesets and things. Any tips are appreciated.

Xurkitree- focus sash- 252 spd/252 spatk timid
Dazzling gleam
Discharge
Grass knot
Thunderbolt

Tapu Koko eject button- 252 speed/spattck timid
Dazzling gleam
Discharge
Grass knot
Thunderbolt

Oranguru-choice scarf
252spd/252hp/4def
Psychic
Shadow ball
Taunt
Instruct

Metagross- metagrossite-
252 hp/252attck
Meteor bash
Zen headbutt
Bullet punch
Earthquake
Matches usually end in 3 turns max. The main thing is to faint atleast 1 Pokemon with xurkitree first turn. I always discharge with xurkitree and it varies with Koko. Xurks discharge allows oranguru to switch in and start teaching class. :D.
Not sure about who to have as a fourth or the ev spreads are ideal that I have currently. If anyone has any suggestions as to a good 4th poke instead of metagross or anything else it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
played around the Maison a bit in ORAS but never super seriously, hit a streak of about 100 or so. I'm looking to go a lot more in-depth with the Battle Tree, and would appreciate some advice.

been fiddling with lead Tapu Koko like some others in this thread since it rips through everything, and pairing it with Celesteela which is just a massive wall:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Careful Nature
252 HP / 44 Def / 200 SpD / 12 Spe
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

max speed invested Tapu Koko hits 200 speed which loses to a few things, most of them scarfed and about half of them walled by Celesteela even if they weren't locked into a Ground-type move (Landorus-2, Garchomp-3, etc)

the things that neither can beat (purely out of the list that outspeeds Koko) are a few scarfed Fire-types and Gengar-4, which speed ties+traps Koko with Shadow Tag, survives Koko's TBolt ~31% of the time if it loses the speed tie, and OHKOs with Sludge Bomb regardless - while also getting a guaranteed 2HKO on Celesteela with TBolt+Electric Terrain up even if I fully invest into SpD (the EV spread right now is borrowed from an earlier post in this thread)

so basically I need something that doesn't lose to Gengar-4 while also being able to survive stuff like Entei-3's Eruption and ideally OHKO in return. right now the only thing coming to mind is Scarfchomp, but I figure I'd ask some more experienced players first before I start breeding Gibles

So of the available Mega's, which do you guys feel is the most useful? At least for racking up quick wins even if not built for the longest streaks. Mainly so I can breed and grab that one first. 64 BP is quite a bit still, even if getting BP is easier.

At least, before the Pokebank updates so my breeding dittos and Hyper Voice Salamance can get here. And since I'

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)