Gen 8 BDSP OU - Basic Bitch Infernape VoltTurn

igiveuponaname

A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd.
is a Community Contributor
No BDSP tag rip. Anyways welcome to my first and likely only RMT for my favourite tier (that's also very underrated), BDSP OU. I made this team back in December for the 2023 BDSP circuit playoffs and it's been one of my favourite teams to use since then and I figured I would share it here.

:ss/rotom-wash: :ss/infernape: :ss/mew: :ss/gliscor: :ss/scizor: :ss/mamoswine:
Basic Bitch Infernape VoltTurn
The team and explanations:

:pmd/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Nasty Plot

When I started building this team I knew I wanted to build something more offensive than what I usually use so I ended up starting with Scarf Rotom-Wash with the idea of building a standard VoltTurn team. It acts as the team's primary source of speed control since it outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame (as well as a good portion of the boosted metagame) and can create uncomfortable situations for the opponent whenever it hits the field. With Trick and Nasty Plot it can still be useful into bulkier teams by crippling an opposing enemy and launching powerful boosted Hydro Pumps and Volt Switches assuming they don't have a Clefable. Defensively speaking it acts as the team's sole Water resist which makes it the team's primary check to offensive Waters such as Crawdaunt and Azumarill while also being helpful in playing around the strong Fire and Ground types in the tier.

:pmd/infernape:
Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Mach Punch

Infernape is a naturally good partner for Rotom-Wash on VoltTurn teams since it threatens the Grass types and specially defensive mons who can eat Rotom's hits with ease while also being a massive threat itself. Infernape acts as the team's main wallbreaker thanks to its amazing STAB combination in conjunction with a strong U-turn being extremely difficult to handle defensively in this tier on top of its great speed stat letting it naturally outrun large portions of the metagame with ease. While it is vulnerable to Flare Blitz recoil and hazard chip, it can be spun to its advantage by placing it into Blaze range which turns Infernape into an absolute nuke which can destroy most non-resists. Mach Punch is the move it clicks the least by a long shot but it is still useful in letting it check Weavile, pick off weakened faster foes, and to ensure it can beat Crawdaunt 1v1 with its faster priority. It offers little in the way of defensive utility but it still can be used to switch into U-turns and Scizor in general, though its HP should still be managed especially if its a more offensive Scizor that needs to be checked late game.

:pmd/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

With my main offensive core set in stone I wanted to start working on my defensive backbone. I needed a way to set hazards as well as a way to remove them and I wanted to be able to pivot as well which limited my options a bit. For my hazard setter I chose Mew since it's one of the few mons who gets access to both Stealth Rock and a pivoting move which makes keeping momentum an easy task. Ice Beam lets Mew threaten Defog Gliscor and other Ground types such as Garchomp and Nidoking, as well as other Dragons like Dragonite and Latias, and Grass types such as Breloom and Roserade. Volt Switch is the pivoting move of choice since it synergizes nicely with Ice Beam on top of avoiding Heatran's Flame Body unlike U-turn. With a specially defensive spread it helps the team withstand strong special attackers such as offensive Starmie and Nidoking while also being able to play around the likes of Latias, Alakazam, Magnezone, and more. 32 Speed EVs outspeeds Jolly Tyranitar, a rare spread on a rare mon, but the extra EVs don't compromise Mew's bulk at all and being able to escape a bad matchup with Volt Switch is a nice benefit.

:pmd/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 84 Def / 64 SpD / 116 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Gliscor was my choice for a hazard removal since it's one of the best hazard removers in the tier, being able to check the most common Stealth Rock users in Heatran and Garchomp, as well as being immune to spikes and having a good matchup into Roserade, the most popular Spike setter. Not only that but it has access to pivoting capabilities with U-turn which helps lock the opponent into a vortex even further when hazards are up. Outside of the hazard game Gliscor provides the team with some solid defensive utility, acting as a check to strong Fighting and Fire types while also being able to check Garchomp and Magnezone quite nicely. With 116 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature Gliscor is able to outspeed Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran making it a good answer to both of them since it is able to outspeed and OHKO them with Earthquake even if it doesn't take their hits as well than if it were to run a slower more defensive set. 64 Special Defense EVs lets it take a Flash Cannon from Analytic Magnezone from full, once again an uncommon calc but one that's nice to cover regardless, and the rest of the EVs were dumped into defense to help deal with the likes of Infernape, Garchomp, Lucario, and Staraptor better.

:pmd/scizor:
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 124 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

You can't have a VoltTurn team in BDSP OU without a Scizor now can you? With its great typing and bulk it acts as a sturdier check to the likes of Weavile, Mamoswine, Latias, and Alakazam for the team that also provides good offensive pressure with STAB U-turn and Technician Bullet Punches for revenge killing the mons mentioned above as well as others such as Togekiss. Swords Dance let's it act as a win condition for the team that can clean up games with ease after a boost or two while also shoring up its attack if Scizor were to get burned by a Heatran's Flame Body. The EV spread lets it always live two Weavile Throat Chops from full health while also living two Specs Surfs from Latias with rocks up, and while most people would rather slow down their Scizor on bulky sets for a slower U-turn, I chose to give it a bit of speed creep to ensure the advantage in mirrors against opposing bulky SD Scizor since my Bullet Punches will always go first assuming they didn't invest in more speed than I did.

:pmd/mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

For my last slot I knew I wanted a physical breaker that could easily threaten Gliscor and Dragons, this left me with two options; Weavile and Mamoswine. I ended up going with Mamoswine since it wasn't reliant on a choice item to break unlike Weavile and it wasn't weak to rocks which gave it more opportunities to come in the game and wreak havoc against the opposing team. Mamoswine's main purpose is to come in when possible and break with its strong STAB combination or revenge kill something such as a Garchomp, Latias, or boosted Dragonite with Ice Shard. I went with the standard mixed Mamoswine set since it gives Mamoswine the best breaking potential as it isn't burdened with a choice lock which makes pivoting around Mamoswine even more difficult. For those unfamiliar with BDSP OU, mixed Mamoswine with Freeze Dry is used to hit Rotom-Wash and Slowbro for significant damage on the switch, as well as having some midground potential at times. Never-Melt Ice was the chosen item instead of Life Orb since I wanted the extra power on Mamoswine's Ice STAB moves but didn't want to deal with the recoil from Life Orb even if it comes at the expense of even more breaking power. That being said Life Orb can still be run as the item on this team if you so desire.

Threats:
:Scizor: :life-orb:: Life Orb Scizor on HO teams is a huge issue if it gets the opportunity to safely boost since +2 Quick Attacks eviscerate Rotom and Infernape who usually act as checks to Scizor on these sorts of teams. The best way to deal with these sorts of Scizor is to apply constant offensive pressure in order to punish any setup turns and to limit how much it can batter away at your team in general.

:Azumarill:: Thanks to its typing letting it threaten out the Grounds, Infernape, and Hydro locked Washtom, Choice Band Azumarill can find a few opportunities to come in the game and force an uncomfortable 50/50 at the very least and a KO at worst while Belly Drum sets can sweep the team with enough chip on Rotom and a turn of set up. Handling this mostly comes down to good positioning and knowing what to keep healthy throughout the game.

:suicune:: VinCune can be a hassle for this team to deal with if it gets an opportunity to set a substitute up since your physical wallbreakers in Infernape and Mamoswine can't handle Suicune's Scald while Mew's Volt Switches barely scratch a dent into Suicune after a Calm Mind. Your best bet at dealing with Suicune is to position yourself carefully so that it doesn't get the opportunity to set up a Substitute safely and to try and Trick it with Rotom as early as reasonably possible. In a pinch you can try and use Scizor's U-turn to break Substitute and hope you don't get Scald burned in the process.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8bdspou-735472 (BDSP circuit playoffs, first tour game I brought the team to, not proud of that endgame but it's funny still and it pulled through)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-2081091609-v16ngndt9wip1m0l05wdmwcpg6prbdzpw (BDSP winter seasonal)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-2088836201 (BDSP winter seasonal winner finals)

Importable for those who would like to use the team themselves: https://pokepast.es/068ea2bc4f6fc528

And consider signing up for BDSPPL if you haven't already, there's still a week left until signups close and BDSP OU (as well as the lower tiers) are loads of fun!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)