Bergmite Analysis | if you really wanna use Bergmite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Showdown user Flyin'Mankey started a Bergmite strategy analysis. He recommended just one setup: a Bergmite with Rapid Spin. While the set was totally viable, I thought I'd have some more fun with this interesting Pokémon. Admittedly, most of the sets I made up are either gimmicky, outclassed or just not practical. But here is several ways to rock Bergmite.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Bergmite is a weird one; its great 55/85 bulk suggests a physical wall, while its mono-Ice typing and decent Attack stat suggest some sort of bulky attacker. Unfortunately, any defensive strengths are heavily weakened by a low Special Defense and a really bad typing, and offensively, it offers very little coverage and is generally too slow to scare a team. However, not all's bad for Bergmite, as it has two great slow-Pokémon moves and passable stalling capabilities. It's far from the best Pokemon in any regard, but it can fill a few niches reasonably decently.
Stallmite [StALMIGHTY]
236 Def, 236 SpD. Bold/Calm
Ice Body
Eviolite
Toxic
Hail
Recover
Protect/Substitute/Avalanche
This set patches up Bergmite's otherwise poor Special Defense stat and, with Eviolite, turns Bergmite into an impressive tank. Start a non-Steel enemy encounter with Toxic, and follow up with Hail, giving Bergmite not only a 1/16 HP recovery but also a way of dealing over 1/8 HP to your enemies. Recover is key to this setup, giving it even greater stall power; most neutral attacks aren't capable of dealing more than 56% damage to Stallmite. Protect is obviously THE stalling move in single battles, but Substitute allows for blocking of status moves and weak attacks at the cost of some HP, and Avalanche is always a good move for Bergmite, generally providing a 120 Base Power STAB attack while preventing it from becoming total Taunt bait.

Support
36 Atk, 236 Def, 236 SpD. Careful
Sturdy
Damp Rock/Icy Rock/Eject Button
Rapid Spin
Rain Dance/Hail
Avalanche
Gyro Ball/Safeguard
While Bergmite isn't exactly the best spinner, taking 1/4 HP from Stealth Rock alone, it is one of the few LC Pokémon to receive the move. Rain Dance or Hail fill the more important slot, allowing for the rest of the team to fire off perfectly accurate Thunder and Hurricane or perfectly accurate Blizzard, respectively. Avalanche and Gyro Ball together have decent coverage, but Safeguard could also be used to prevent status on switch-ins. Item-wise, Damp Rock or Icy Rock seem like obvious choices for a weather setting Bergmite, but the Eject Button could be used to not waste a turn switching.

Cursemite [CurSMITE]
204 Atk, 68 Def, 236 SpD, Brave
Sturdy
Eviolite
Curse
Avalanche
Gyro Ball
Return/Stone Edge/Bite/Rock Smash
With investment in Attack and negative Speed, Bergmite can become a good user of Curse. After a boost, Cursemite hits a solid 25 Attack, and a Speed stat so low that almost nothing will be slower, allowing for full power Avalanche and Gyro Ball attacks. The last moveslot is left solely for coverage and is thus variable, but Bergmite has few other attacking options. Return and Bite provide good neutral coverage, but Stone Edge counters the Fire-types that Bergmite despises, and Rock Smash, though weak, finally gives it a way to hit Steel types.

Rock Polish
204 Atk, 128 SpD, 176 Spe, Adamant
Life Orb/Eviolite
Sturdy
Rock Polish
Avalanche
Return/Double-Edge/Bite
Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Rock Smash/Recover
Surprisingly, Bergmite can pull off a Rock Polish set. Hitting 22 Speed, a polished Bergmite can outspeed all unboosted Pokémon while maintaining reasonable Attack and bulk. Unfortunately, the increase in speed means Avalanche will only do 60 Base Power, but given Bergmite's only other physical Ice-type attack is Ice Fang, there isn't really a choice. (In any case, Avalanche will double in power against priority attackers, which will often switch in with Bullet or Mach Punch ready.) Gyro Ball becomes pretty useless, so any other coverage moves or Recover work.

Surprise Specialmite [Surfin' Berg]
88 Def, 180 SpA, 236 SpD, Modest
Life Orb/Choice Specs
Sturdy
Frost Breath
Surf
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power Fighting
Imagine your opponent's face when Bergmite, master of the rough-and-tumble physical game, comes out swinging with powerful special moves to boot. No, you shouldn't be using this set, but Bergmite has access to powerful special moves (and you also probably shouldn't be using Bergmite). Frost Breath is a crazy good move, not only providing 120 Base Power more often than Avalanche but also ignoring any defense boosts the enemy may have stacked in a futile effort to stymie Specialmite. Surfin' Berg, while being totally rad, also provides a counter to hatin' Fire and Rock types, while Flash Cannon lights up opposing Ice Pokémon. Finally, Hidden Power Fighting finally (finally!) gives Specialmite a decent way to hit Steel types. One of the Special Attack-boosting items is nigh essential to this set, as a measly 13 Special Attack won't do much without a boost, and Bergmite has access to no special boosting moves.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Checks and Counters
Unless a Bergmite's running Rock Smash for some reason any Steel-type Pokémon is a hard counter to Bergmite. Steel types resist all of Bergmite's other coverage moves and are immune to Toxic, and can shatter it with a STAB Steel attack. Fighting types hard counter Bergmite too; literally, the only way it can hit a Fighting-type for super effective damage is with a HP. Priority moves, especially Mach Punch, Bullet Punch and Vacuum Wave, are commonly used by these types, smashing Bergmite before he even has a chance to set up. Furthermore, Fire types can make quick work of Bergmite so long as they mind Stone Edge, while Rock types can also make quick work so long as they mind Gyro Ball.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I hope you realise that there's an LC Analyses sub-forum for this exact purpose.

Also, Bergmite isn't anywhere close to viable, I'm sorry. A horrible defensive typing weighs it down and leaves it outclassed and underwhelming.

I hope you realise that there's an LC Analyses sub-forum for this exact purpose.

Also, Bergmite isn't anywhere close to viable, I'm sorry. A horrible defensive typing weighs it down and leaves it outclassed and underwhelming.
.. I.. thought I put this in the LC section. My bad!
and yeah he's pretty awful. I just wanted to give him some fame!

.. I.. thought I put this in the LC section. My bad!
and yeah he's pretty awful. I just wanted to give him some fame!
It doesn't deserve fame. Staryu outclasses it as a Rapid Spinner, while Defog is pretty easy to come by anyways. What is one reason to use it over anything else? It doesn't really have a use, that horrible typing and lack of any niche whatsoever make it very unviable.

but avalugg4ou any day

It doesn't deserve fame. Staryu outclasses it as a Rapid Spinner, while Defog is pretty easy to come by anyways. What is one reason to use it over anything else? It doesn't really have a use, that horrible typing and lack of any niche whatsoever make it very unviable.

but avalugg4ou any day
There isn't a reason haha. I was just being generous to Berg, really really generous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)