1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Berry Juice

Discussion in 'BW LC' started by macle, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

After some further consideration, I think that Berry Juice should not be unbanned due to the many reasons already stated in this thread.
  2. fatty

fatty
    is a Pre-Contributor

all the other metagames didn't have eviolite though...which outclasses it by far in numerous instances, as also shown in this thread.
  3. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I think Heysup's post pretty much summed up why Berry Juice should remain banned.
  4. Trakyan

Trakyan

Well, just a suggestion here. Berry juice for alot of pokemon wont be doing much more than an oran berry since alot of pokemon have around 20-25 HP and oran kicks in halfway through as well as with gligar gone one of the main pokemon to abuse it is gone, it would also give munchlax a second wind so perhaps it would bring back some old faces. There is also the defense drop which alows the berry juice user to be able to be OHKOed or 2HKOed more often. I think it at least deserves a test this gen due to the advent and reliance of eviolite for alot of things.
  5. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I don't mean to be rude or condescending but I don't think you've read the thread or understood the arguments said.
  6. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This. Back when I was running things in generation 4, Berry Juice was the bar none worst thing in the entire metagame. There are no 2HKOs in a Berry Juice metagame, only OHKOs and 3HKOs. The result is that you use Berry Juice to set up an unstoppable setup mon that gets all the OHKOs, and win. Dual Screens just makes the problem even worse (now instead of OHKO/3HKO it's 3HKO/5HKO), and with the absolutely devastating setup Pokemon present (especially new Shell Smash users) I see no reason to even consider unbanning it.
  7. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

During the last suspect round (when Berry Juice was a suspect), I know much of the council (including myself) played a Berry Juice metagame to see how it would go. The result is almsot identical to the complaints posited in this thread, most notably, the problem of Dual Screens.

Bulk in LC is really a mixed bag, some Pokes are awful, others shine above the rest. I remember facing a Misdreavus with Berry Juice behind Dual Screens and it was not fun. I remember facing lead Dwebble with Berry Juice as a first mon smashing and it was not fun. I remember Berry Juice just being not fun and imbalanced in general. The issue isn't that everything uses Berry Juice (most use Eviolite still), the issue is the few things that do make absolutely insane use of Berry Juice. And it's much easier to keep Berry Juice banned than all of those set up sweepers.

The council voted unanimously on this issue, and the posts in this thread are very polarized. Furthermore, Berry Juice is no longer a suspect for these reasons. We're going to go ahead and close this for now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)