(BH) Gengar (QC 3/3) (GP 0/2)

[OVERVIEW]

Gengar is a terrifc pokemon in balanced hackmons, mainly because it can be in its mega forme while being able to wield any item it wants. There are a multitude of great traits that Gengar possesses, such as being almost entirely imposter-proof, only being beaten by Spooky Plate Imposters. Gengar is a huge threat to just about every team archetype there is in the balanced hackmons metagame due to its absurdly high damage output, and having a very high speed stat. Mold Breaker Mega Gengar is also the closest thing to a Sturdy Shedinja counter in the balanced hackmons metagame, due to Mold Breaker breaking Shedinja's sturdy. The main flaw that Gengar possesses is that it is absolutely annihilated by -ate pokemon, as the combination of Fake Out and Extremespeed from just about every viable -ate pokemon 2hkos Gengar, though running King's Shield can slightly remedy this problem. Gengar has had a pretty rough time in ORAS balanced hackmons compared to its reign of terror in xy, but the recent bans of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre definitely make the future look bright for Mega Gengar.

[SET]
name: Mold Breaker Sweeper
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Secret Sword / Sludge Bomb
move 3: Shell Smash
move 4: King's Shield / Pursuit / Spore
item: Spooky Plate
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When Wielding the Spooky Plate, Judgment is turned into a 120 base power Ghost-type move. It also allows Mega Gengar to evade non-Spooky Plate Imposters, and hit obscenely hard. Secret Sword in tandem with Ghost-type Judgment means that no pokemon will resist all of Mega Gengar's Ghost and Fighting-type moves. Secret Sword also allows Mega Gengar to beat Fur Coat Chansey, which is invaluable. Aura Sphere might seem appealing, but is a lackluster option, because hitting Slaking harder is not nearly as good as breaking Fur Coat Chansey. Sludge Bomb is a good alternative to Secret sword, as it nails Mega Audino, a common switchin to Mega Gengar, for massive damage. Shell Smash allows Mega Gengar to heavily threaten a plethora of team archetypes as long as -ate pokemon have been eliminated. The fourth team slot is team dependent, King's Shield gives Mega Gengar a way to combat the -ate pokemon, Pursuit lets Mega Gengar ko Sturdy Shedinjas switching out, and Spore gives Mega Gengar many more opportunities to set up a Shell Smash. A very reasonable alternative to Shell Smash is Tail Glow, which allows Mega Gengar to destroy slower builds to an even greater extent, at the cost of not doing as well versus offensive builds.

Set Details
========

Max speed and a timid nature are essential, as it allows Mega Gengar to speed tie with positive natured Mega Mewtwo-x. Max special attack investment gives Mega Gengar's attacks a lot of punch. Even if Mega Gengar is running Pursuit a timid nature should be used because Pursuit is exclusively for Shedinja. A Spooky Plate is imperative to hold on just about every Mega Gengar, as otherwise Mega Gengar doesn't have a Ghost-type STAB that is virtually imposter-proof. Mold Breaker allows Mega Gengar to beat Sturdy Shedinja and Fur Coat Chansey, two very annoying pokemon in the balanced hackmons metagame. Another boon of using Mold Breaker is breaking many pokemon with the Unaware ability, though it is not very common in the current balanced hackmons metagame.

Usage Tips
========

Try to pivot into Mega Gengar, whether by double switches or a switching move. If Pursuit is being run, try to Mega Gengar in on the same turn that Shedinja switches in, as Shedinja can pivot out on a Mega Gengar switchin. Should such a situation occur, always click Pursuit due to it preventing the opponent from switching out. To clarify, double switching is defined as having both sides switch out into different pokemon. It is highly recommended to not set up a Shell Smash until all the opposing -ate users are eliminated, even if Mega Gengar is running King's Shield.

Team Options
========
The number one partner to Mega Gengar is Mega Diancie, as it can beat Mega Gengar's two best counters, Yveltal and Mega Audino. A bulky Steel-type is imperative as a teammate, as they can remove the -ate Pokemon that hinder Mega Gengar so much. Examples include Aegislash, Dialga, and Registeel. Entry hazard setters are great teammates for Mega Gengar, as it is another method to chip away at the enemy's team. Pokemon that greatly appreciate Shedinja's absence, such as -ate pokemon, will love being paired with Mega Gengar. Even without Pursuit, the -ate pokemon can wear down the opposing pokemon for Mega Gengar to clean in the late game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

As for all pokemon in balanced hackmons, Mega Gengar has a absurd amount of other options it can run. Moonblast can be used to lure in and kill Yveltal. A set utilizing normal Gengar with Illusion, holding Gengarite, can be used to abuse a loophole to acquire Shadow Tag. Running Taunt in tandem with Sludge Bomb completely shuts down Mega Audino. Quiver Dance is an option, albeit a little slower in terms of time it takes to set up, but no defense drops are very nice. Adaptability lets Mega Gengar turn 2HKOs into 1HKOs on various pokemon. Substitute is an alternative to King's Shield to combat the -ate pokemon, and has the additional perk of giving Mega Gengar more setup oppurtunities. Baton Pass is neat in order to escape opposing Pursuit trappers. Dark Void over Spore is an option to put Grass-types to sleep, but Grass-types do not normally switch in on Gengar. Entry hazards on Mold Breaker Gengar are interesting, as they are unable to be bounced back by Magic Bounce.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Yveltal**: Specifically Poison Heal and Regenerator variants, can pursuit trap Mega Gengar ending its reign of terror. Additionally, they can Sucker Punch if you try to stay in.

**-Ate Abusers**: -Ate ability abusers can smack gengar with priority in the form of Fake Out in conjunction with Extremespeed. Gengar is ridiculously frail so it is 2HKOd by the combo from just about every viable user.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a huge thorn in Gengar's side, should it not run Sludge Bomb. It walls Mega Gengar very well due to its typing and bulk, although it cannot do much back.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off is a move that is the bane of Mega Gengar's existence. It can remove Gengar's Spooky Plate, in addition to doing massive damage.

**Spooky Plate Imposters**: Although not common, Spooky Plate Chansey and Blissey can transform into Mega Gengar and hit it with a Judgment. And unlike the judgment it fires at Gengar, Mega Gengar can't ohko the imposter Blissey or chansey, unless a Shell Smash is set up, but then you have to rely on a speed tie.

Last edited:
It is possibly Mega Gengar, I'll change/keep the title accordingly with the verdict on the trapper set.

Just as somewhere to put the moldy pursuit set if it is readded, I'll put it here.

[SET]
name: Mold Breaker Pursuit
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Judgment
move 3: Stealth Rock / King's Shield
move 4: Spore

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Pursuit is pretty much exclusively for Shedinja, which may sound stupid, but Shedinja can be such a bother that such an obscure pokemon.
  • Judgment is again run in order to make Mega Gengar immune to imposters, but still have a fearsome STAB attack.
  • Stealth Rock is nice, as hazards can wear the opposing team down, which benefits Mega Gengar greatly. They also aren't preventable, as hazards backed up by the Mold Breaker ability will not be bounced back by Magic Bounce. Spikes and Toxic Spikes will also suffice, depending on what your team needs. King's Shield is again very nice due to it not being totally screwed over by -ate attacks.
  • Spore is the ideal 4th slot move, as it makes Gengar pull weight vs teams without Shedinja, although running Shell Smash over it certainly isn't a bad idea.
Set Details
========

• The ev spread allows Mega Gengar to speed tie with Mega Mewtwo-X wielding a + speed nature, and maximizing Mega Gengar's firepower.
  • A timid nature is run, due to Shedinja having only 1 hp so whatever nature Gengar has doesn't matter, and a timid one is the best.
  • Spooky Plate transforms judgment into quite the fearsome move, again being immune to imposter.
  • Mold Breaker allows Mega Gengar to break Shedinja's Sturdy with ease.
Usage Tips
========

• This set can be rather tricky to use, as Shedinja will usually spam whatever switching move it chooses to run. If possible bring Mega Gengar in by a double switch, which dooms shedinja.
  • If such a situation happens, always click Pursuit due to it preventing the opponent from switching out.

Team Options
========
  • The only reason this set should be run, is for teams that have a gargantuan Shedinja weakness.
  • Steel-types are again ideal as teammates due to them beating the -ate users.
  • Pokemon that greatly appreciate Shedinja's absence, such as the -ate users, will love being paired with this Mega Gengar variant.

Last edited:
Overview:
  • Can use a loophole to gain the banned Shadow Tag, by using the Gengarite as a normal Gengar.
Don't mention this, since you don't have a set for it.
  • Hoopa-Unbound is now the premier pokemon for those that want a pokemon immune to Imposter, as it is Imposter proof 100 percent of the time.
Instead of this, say something like "it faces competition from Hoopa-Unbound as the premier anti-Imposter sweeper," since I think most would argue that Mega Gengar is better.

Sets: Honestly, I would combine these into a single set. I've rarely seen that second one and it doesn't seem particularly great.
I'd go with the first set, but with Judgment / Secret Sword / Shell Smash / (Sludge Bomb/Pursuit/Spore). You can thus move Tail Glow, Dark Void, and KS to OO and generally clean this up a lot.

Usage Tips needs to also mention that it's a bad idea to set up when -ates are still around.

In Team Options, just add "Pokemon that greatly appreciate Shedinja's absence, such as the -ate users, will love being paired with Mega Gengar." to what you have the first set. Generally, just condense these two sets into one in the best way possible, and the other QC members can help you refine it.

Other Options could use some modification. Add Shadow Tag here, not as its own set. Remove Pixilate (not enough people run Yveltal for this to have a set) and Spiky Shield (I don't think this really does much). Bulletproof and Protean (why would you even run Protean? if there's a legitimate reason someone tell me and I'll modify this comment) should probably be removed as well, since the former only beats Yveltal and Plate Imposters. Add Substitute (kind of good against -ates) here. Also mention Adaptability, which is a solid wallbreaker that I think Flint and some others have used.

You have to write more in that last section, by the way.

Nice job!

QC 1/3

p2

Banned deucer.
Shouldn't Sludge Bomb be replaced with Sludge Wave because of its higher damage output? I don't play BH, so I don't know if the higher chance of poisoning is more important.

It also bypasses Bulletproof, but I don't think anything really uses it.

Shouldn't Sludge Bomb be replaced with Sludge Wave because of its higher damage output? I don't play BH, so I don't know if the higher chance of poisoning is more important.

It also bypasses Bulletproof, but I don't think anything really uses it.
You're right, I missed that. On any Mold Breaker set, at least, Sludge Wave is mostly better.

It also means you don't have to worry about this thing as much:
  • If Sludge Bomb is chosen, be wary of Poison Healers switching in.
I also missed one other thing that you might want to fix. **-Ate ability abusers**: -Ate ability abusers can smack gengar with priority in the form of Fake Out in conjunction with Extremespeed. Gengar is ridiculously frail so it is 2HKOd by the combo from just about every viable user.

In fact, it is just OHKO'd by Extreme Speed:
252 Atk Sky Plate Aerilate Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 313-370 (119.4 - 141.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ranger Mike

Sorry for taking so long to get to this, I'm behind on all my checks (I still have 2 more to go after this lel)

Firstly, I disagree with UC about the Sludge Bomb/Wave thing. I think Bomb is better for the poison chance. Sometimes Gengar will be in a situation where it can't set up effectively (due to the presence of Mega Ray for example), and it just wants to get in damage before being forced out. Imagine the following scenario: You slow pivot into Gengar while your opponent has something that gets destroyed by Gengar (e.g. Giratina). You know your opponent is somehow going to bring in Mega Ray to force you out, so you use Sludge Bomb. Sludge Bomb poisons it, and then Ray has a much more limited lifespan.

Anyways, on to the rest of the check.

Set:
I think you should change the 2nd to Secret Sword / Sludge Bomb, and the 4th to King's Shield / Spore / Pursuit, because having Sword and Sludge Bomb aren't very useful on the same set
Also, you should add a slash on the bottom line for King's Shield; it's useful for dealing with -ates that think they can revenge kill
Usage tips:
Can you clarify the double switching line?
Also you may as well remove the poison heal line. It's not like anything runs PHeal without a toxic orb.
Set 2:
Yeah remove this
Other Options:
Remove King's Shield because it's in set 1
On the Taunt line, IMO write "shuts down non-Magic Bounce Audino-Megas"

Nice work!
QC 2/3

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Mike. I should've gotten to this a long time ago. Sorry bud.

Overview:
  • Personally I think there is a lot of fluff here. You can cut the first three sentences into just one mega sentence talking about how holding the plate allows it to become a premier imposter proof special attacker with perfect coverage; combine this with Mold Breaker to beat Shedinja and Unaware, and its immunity to endeavor, you get a theoretically unblockable special sweeper
  • Remove the part about Hoopa entirely and similarly condense the last few sentences highlighting its problems against ate, pursuit and Knock Off especially because of the latter's prominence even on random walls due to its power buff

Set:
  • Looks solid. Possibly Tail Glow/QD over Shell Smash, which you can keep here or in OO. I would keep TG/Shell Smash in the set and QD in OO personally

Set Coments:
  • Make into bullets and clean. Your first sentence is a run on
  • Content itself is quite solid

Set Details
  • Again make bulleted
  • Timid also reduces attack, letting it take Foul Play better
  • (Add)Mold Breaker lets it beat Sturdy Shed, Fur Coat Chansey [and Unaware]

Usage Tips:
  • Again make bulleted

Team Options:
  • Again make bulleted
  • Content really good, covers major points and I can't really think of any more

OO:
  • Gonna need a gun for all these bullets
  • Illusion with the regular set is also effective, especially posing gengar as a defensive pokemon to smash pokemon with Judgment like Bouncer Giratina
  • (Optional) Dark Void over Spore
  • (Rephrase)Adaptability allows Gengar to turn 2hko's into OHKOs and nuke immediately without setup

Checks and Counters
  • Move Yveltal to the top, as it is number 1, while Chansey should be the last point as it is the worst option and the last resort. Also add Knock Off to it, as it completely disables Gengar's main power output, if it even survives

Verdict:
Overall great QC, one of the best ones I've seen yet. Great work

QC3/3

Last edited:
Add / Correction
Remove
Comment

[OVERVIEW] <-- (Unbold this here.)

Gengar is a terrifc terrific Pokemon in Balanced Hackmons, mainly because it can be in its Mega forme while being able to wield any item it wants. There are a multitude of great traits that Mega Gengar possesses, such as a high Speed stat, high damage output, being almost entirely imposter-proof, (For the Imposter-proof part I assume that you're referring to its advantage holding Spooky Plate? Other than that I don't fully understand this.) and only being beaten by Spooky Plate Imposters, making Mega Gengar a huge threat to many teams Gengar is a huge threat to just about every team archetype there is in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. (full stop period) due to its absurdly high damage output and having a very high Speed stat. Mold Breaker Mega Gengar is also the closest thing to a Sturdy Shedinja counter in the balanced hackmons metagame, Mega Gengar can also counter Sturdy Shedinja, as due to Mold Breaker breaking ignores Shedinja's Sturdy. (Although, I do prefer "ability" instead because Sturdy is mentioned in the sentence and having Sturdy mentioned twice like that seems a bit redundant.) The main flaw that However, Mega Gengar possesses is that it is absolutely annihilated is threatened by -ate Pokemon, as the combination of Fake Out and Extreme(space)Speed from just about every viable -ate Pokemon 2hkos can 2HKO Mega Gengar, although running King's Shield can slightly remedy this problem. Mega Gengar has had a pretty rough time in ORAS Balanced Hackmons compared to its reign of terror in xy, but XY; however, the recent bans of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre definitely make the future look bright for Mega Gengar. (Wasn't too sure on whether or not to remove the sentence, but I'll let the GP member go over that. I'll still make the correction.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When Wielding the With
Spooky Plate, Judgment is turned into a 120 Base Power Ghost-type move. It also allows Mega Gengar to evade and hit hard non-Spooky Plate Imposters. (full stop period), and hit obscenely hard. Secret Sword in tandem with Ghost-type Judgment means that no Pokemon will resist all of Mega Gengar's Ghost and Fighting-type Fighting- and Ghost-type (Putting them in order with you mentioning Secret Sword and then Judgement.) moves. Secret Sword also allows Mega Gengar to beat Fur Coat Chansey. (full stop period), which is invaluable. Aura Sphere might seem appealing, but is a lackluster option, (RC) because hitting Slaking harder is not nearly as good as breaking Fur Coat Chansey. (Seems more as an Other Options thing for Aura Sphere but up to you.) Sludge Bomb is a good alternative to Secret Sword, as it nails hits Mega Audino, a common switch-in (AH) to Mega Gengar, for massive damage. Shell Smash boosts Mega Gengar's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by two stages, allowing it to allows Mega Gengar to heavily threaten a plethora of teams archetypes as long as -ate Pokemon have been eliminated. The fourth team slot is team dependent depends on what the team needs., (remove comma --> full stop period) King's Shield gives Mega Gengar a way to combat the -ate Pokemon, Pursuit lets let Mega Gengar ko KO Sturdy Shedinjas that tends to switching out, and Spore gives Mega Gengar many more opportunities to set up a Shell Smash. A very reasonable alternative to Shell Smash is Tail Glow, which allows Mega Gengar to destroy slower builds to an even greater extent, at the a cost of not doing as well being countered versus offensive builds.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment and with a Timid nature are essential, as it allows Mega Gengar to Speed tie with positive-natured Mega Mewtwo-x. (Remove hyphen and capitalize the X.) Maximum Special Attack investment gives Mega Gengar's attacks a lot of punch. Even if Mega Gengar is running Pursuit, (AC) a Timid nature should be used because Pursuit is exclusively for Shedinja. A Spooky Plate is imperative to hold on just about every Mega Gengar, as otherwise Mega Gengar doesn't have a Ghost-type STAB move that is virtually Imposter-proof. Mold Breaker allows Mega Gengar to beat Sturdy Shedinja and Fur Coat Chansey. (full stop period), two very annoying pokemon in the balanced hackmons metagame. Another boon of using Mold Breaker is breaking many Pokemon with the Unaware ability, though it is not very common in the current Balanced Hackmons metagame.

Usage Tips
========

Try to pivot into Mega Gengar, whether by double switches or a switching move. If Pursuit is being run used, try to switch-in Mega Gengar in on the same turn that Shedinja switches in, as Shedinja can pivot out on a Mega Gengar switch-in. (AH) Should such a situation occur, always (no italics in "always") click When Shedinja tries to switch out, use Pursuit to KO it. due to it preventing the opponent from switching out. To clarify, double switching is defined as having both sides switch out into different Pokemon. It is highly recommended to not set up a Shell Smash until all the opposing -ate users are eliminated, even if Mega Gengar is running King's Shield.

Team Options
========

The number one partner to Mega Gengar is Mega Diancie, as it can beat Mega Gengar's two best counters, Yveltal and Mega Audino. A bulky Steel-type is imperative as a teammate, as they can remove the -ate Pokemon that hinder Mega Gengar so much. Examples include Aegislash, Dialga, and Registeel. Entry hazard setters (Such as?) are great teammates for Mega Gengar, as it is another method to chip away at the enemy's opposing team. Pokemon that greatly appreciate Shedinja's absence, such as -ate Pokemon, will love being paired with Mega Gengar. Even without Pursuit, the -ate Pokemon can wear down the opposing Pokemon for Mega Gengar to clean in the late-game. (AH)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

As for all pokemon in balanced hackmons, Mega Gengar has a absurd amount of other options it can run.
Moonblast can be used to lure in and kill KO Yveltal. A set utilizing normal Gengar with Illusion, (RC) holding Gengarite, can be used to abuse a loophole to acquire Shadow Tag. Running Taunt in tandem with Sludge Bomb completely shuts down Mega Audino. Quiver Dance is an option, albeit a little slower in terms of time it takes to set up, but no Defense drops are very nice. without having to deal with any Defense drops. Adaptability lets Mega Gengar turn 2HKOs into 1HKOs on various Pokemon. Substitute is an alternative to King's Shield to combat the -ate Pokemon, and has the additional perk of giving Mega Gengar more setup oppurtunities opportunities. Baton Pass is neat in order to escape opposing Pursuit trappers. Dark Void over Spore is an option to put Grass-types to sleep, but Grass-types do not normally switch in on Mega Gengar. Entry hazards on Mold Breaker Gengar are interesting can also be used, as Mold Breaker ignores Magic Bounce users. they are unable to be bounced back by Magic Bounce.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Yveltal**: Specifically Poison Heal and Regenerator variants, can Pursuit trap Mega Gengar ending its reign of terror. Additionally, they can Sucker Punch if you Mega Gengar try to if it stays in to attack it.

**-Ate Abusers**: -Ate ability abusers can smack hit Mega Gengar with priority attacks in the form of Fake Out in conjunction with Extreme(space)Speed. Mega Gengar is ridiculously frail, (AC) so it is 2HKOed by the combo from just about every viable user.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a huge thorn in threat to Mega Gengar's side, should it not if it don't run Sludge Bomb. It walls Mega Gengar very well due to its typing and bulk, although it Mega Audino cannot do much back.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off (Would mention some notable Knock Off users right here so people know what to watch out for. I removed what's in red for you to just list a couple or a few Pokemon that has Knock Off as their standard move.) is a move that is the bane of Mega Gengar's existence. It can remove Mega Gengar's Spooky Plate, in addition to doing massive damage.

**Spooky Plate Imposters**: Although not common, Spooky Plate Chansey and Blissey can transform into Mega Gengar and hit it with a Judgment. And unlike the judgment it fires at Gengar, Mega Gengar can't ohko the imposter Blissey or chansey, unless a Shell Smash is set up, but then you have to rely on a speed tie. Mega Gengar can't OHKO Imposter Blissey and Chansey unless it can set up Shell Smash. Either way, Mega Gengar would have to rely on a Speed tie because Imposter can also copy stat changes as well. (Either way, Mega Gengar would have to rely on Speed tie even if it don't Shell Smash, but I did see your point on it because Shell Smash allows it to OHKO both of them with Judgement.)

I tried my best on this one.

Tagging Snobalt GatoDelFuego or Winry to go over this for me~

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Misaka add
Misaka remove
Misaka comment

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove

Snobalt comment

[OVERVIEW] <-- (Unbold this here.)

Gengar is a terrifc terrific Pokemon in Balanced Hackmons, mainly because it can be in its Mega forme while being able to wield any item it wants. There are a multitude of great traits that Mega Gengar possesses, such as a high Speed stat, high damage output, being almost entirely Imposter-proof, (For the Imposter-proof part I assume that you're referring to its advantage holding Spooky Plate? Other than that I don't fully understand this.) and only being beaten by Spooky Plate Imposters Users, making Mega Gengar a huge threat to many teams Gengar is a huge threat to just about every team archetype there is in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. (full stop period) due to its absurdly high damage output and having a very high Speed stat. Mold Breaker Mega Gengar is also the closest thing to a Sturdy Shedinja counter in the balanced hackmons metagame, Mega Gengar can also counter Sturdy Shedinja, as due to Mold Breaker breaking ignores Shedinja's Sturdy. (Although, I do prefer "ability" instead because Sturdy is mentioned in the sentence and having Sturdy mentioned twice like that seems a bit redundant.) The main flaw that However, Mega Gengar possesses is that it is absolutely annihilated is threatened by -ate Pokemon, as the combination of Fake Out and Extreme(space)Speed from just about every viable -ate Pokemon 2hkos can 2HKO Mega Gengar, although running King's Shield can slightly remedy this problem. Mega Gengar has had a pretty rough time in ORAS Balanced Hackmons compared to its reign of terror in xy, but XY; however, the recent bans of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre definitely make the future look bright for Mega Gengar. (Wasn't too sure on whether or not to remove the sentence, but I'll let the GP member go over that. I'll still make the correction.) (Yeah remove this; talking about generational shifts is not allowed.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When Wielding the With
Spooky Plate, Judgment is turned into a 120 Base Power Ghost-type move. It also allows Mega Gengar to evade and hit hard demolish non-Spooky Plate Imposters users. (full stop period), and hit obscenely hard. Secret Sword in tandem with Ghost-type Judgment means that no Pokemon will resist all of Mega Gengar's Ghost and Fighting-type Fighting- and Ghost-type (Putting them in order with you mentioning Secret Sword and then Judgement.) moves. Secret Sword also allows Mega Gengar to beat Fur Coat Chansey. (full stop period), which is invaluable. Aura Sphere might seem appealing, but it is a lackluster option, (RC) because hitting Slaking harder is not nearly as good as breaking Fur Coat Chansey. (Seems more as an Other Options thing for Aura Sphere but up to you.) Sludge Bomb is a good alternative to Secret Sword, as it nails hits Mega Audino, a common switch-in (AH) to Mega Gengar, for massive damage. Shell Smash boosts Mega Gengar's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by two stages, allowing it to allows Mega Gengar to heavily threaten a plethora of teams archetypes as long as -ate Pokemon have been eliminated. The fourth team move slot is team dependent depends on what the team needs., (remove comma --> full stop period) King's Shield gives Mega Gengar a way to combat the -ate Pokemon, Pursuit lets let ("lets" is right) Mega Gengar ko KO Sturdy Shedinjas that tends to switching out, and Spore gives Mega Gengar many more opportunities to set up a Shell Smash. A very reasonable alternative to Shell Smash is Tail Glow, which allows Mega Gengar to destroy slower builds to an even greater extent, (RC) at the a ("the" is right) cost of not doing as well being countered ("not doing as well" seems to fit better) versus offensive builds.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment and with a Timid nature are essential, as it allows Mega Gengar to Speed tie with positive-natured Mega Mewtwo-x. (Remove hyphen and capitalize the X.) Maximum Special Attack investment gives Mega Gengar's attacks a lot of punch. Even if Mega Gengar is running Pursuit, (AC) a Timid nature should be used because Pursuit is used exclusively for Shedinja. A Spooky Plate is imperative to hold on just about every Mega Gengar, as otherwise Mega Gengar doesn't have a Ghost-type STAB move that is virtually Imposter-proof. Mold Breaker allows Mega Gengar to beat Sturdy Shedinja and Fur Coat Chansey. (full stop period), two very annoying pokemon in the balanced hackmons metagame. Another boon of using Mold Breaker is breaking many Pokemon with the Unaware ability, though it the ability is not very common in the current Balanced Hackmons metagame.

Usage Tips
========

Try to pivot into Mega Gengar, whether by double switches or a switching move. If Pursuit is being run used, try to switch-in Mega Gengar in on the same turn that Shedinja switches in, as Shedinja can pivot out on a Mega Gengar switch-in. (AH) Should such a situation occur, always (no italics in "always") click When Shedinja tries to switch out, use Pursuit to KO it. due to it preventing the opponent from switching out. To clarify, double switching is defined as having both sides switch out into different Pokemon. (not really necessary; double switching is a known term) It is highly recommended to not set up a Shell Smash until all the opposing -ate users are eliminated, even if Mega Gengar is running King's Shield.

Team Options
========

The number one partner to Mega Gengar is Mega Diancie, as it can beat Mega Gengar's two best counters, Yveltal and Mega Audino. A bulky Steel-type is imperative as a teammate, as they one can remove the -ate Pokemon that hinder Mega Gengar so much. Examples include Aegislash, Dialga, and Registeel. Entry hazard setters (Such as?) are great teammates for Mega Gengar, as it is provide another method to chip away at the enemy's opposing team. Pokemon that greatly appreciate Shedinja's absence, such as -ate Pokemon, will love being paired with Mega Gengar. Even without Pursuit, the -ate Pokemon can wear down the opposing Pokemon for Mega Gengar to clean in the up late-game. (AH)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

As for all pokemon in balanced hackmons, Mega Gengar has a absurd amount of other options it can run.
Moonblast can be used to lure in and kill KO Yveltal. A set utilizing normal Gengar with Illusion, (RC) holding and Gengarite, (RC) can be used to abuse exploit a loophole to acquire Shadow Tag. Running Taunt in tandem with Sludge Bomb completely shuts down Mega Audino. Quiver Dance is an option, albeit being a little slower than Shell Smash in terms of the time it takes to set up, but no Defense drops are very nice. without having to deal with any Defense drops. Adaptability lets ("lets" is right) Mega Gengar turn 2HKOs into 1OHKOs on various Pokemon. Substitute is an alternative to King's Shield to combat the -ate Pokemon, (RC) and has the additional perk of giving Mega Gengar more setup oppurtunities opportunities. Baton Pass is neat in order to escape opposing Pursuit trappers. Dark Void over Spore is an option to put Grass-types to sleep, but Grass-types do not normally switch in on Mega Gengar. Entry hazards on Mold Breaker Gengar are interesting can also be used, as Mold Breaker ignores Magic Bounce users. they are unable to be bounced back by Magic Bounce.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Yveltal**: Specifically, (AC) Poison Heal and Regenerator variants, (RC) of Yveltal can Pursuit trap Mega Gengar, (AC) ending its reign of terror. Additionally, they can Sucker Punch if you Mega Gengar try to if it stays in to attack it.

**-Ate Abusers Ability Users**: -Ate ability abusers can smack hit Mega Gengar with priority attacks in the form of Fake Out in conjunction with Extreme(space)Speed. Mega Gengar is ridiculously frail, (AC) so it is 2HKOed by the combo combination from just about every viable user.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a huge thorn in threat to Mega Gengar's side, should it not if it doesn't run Sludge Bomb. It walls Mega Gengar very well due to its typing and bulk, although it Mega Audino cannot do much back.

**Knock Off Users**: Knock Off (Would mention some notable Knock Off users right here so people know what to watch out for. I removed what's in red for you to just list a couple or a few Pokemon that has Knock Off as their standard move.) is a move that is the bane of Mega Gengar's existence. It can remove Mega Gengar's Spooky Plate, (RC) in addition to doing massive damage to it.

**Spooky Plate Imposters Users**: Although not common, Spooky Plate Chansey and Blissey can transform into Mega Gengar and hit it with a Judgment. And unlike the judgment it fires at Gengar, Mega Gengar can't ohko the imposter Blissey or chansey, unless a Shell Smash is set up, but then you have to rely on a speed tie. Mega Gengar can't OHKO Imposter Blissey and Chansey unless it can set up Shell Smash. Either way, Mega Gengar would have to rely on a Speed tie because Imposter can also copy copies stat changes as well. (Either way, Mega Gengar would have to rely on Speed tie even if it don't Shell Smash, but I did see your point on it because Shell Smash allows it to OHKO both of them with Judgement.)

Good work Misaka Mikoto. Stamping.
GP 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)