Big Huge Tyranitar Cores: Gen V strategies that still work. (Peaked 2000+)

With Gamefreak bringing in the fewest pokemon in a generation that we've ever seen, only 71, I believe that Gen VI has been the least revolutionary of the generations, its only groundbreaking new concepts it brought were Mega-Evolutions and the new Fairy Type, which has been less influential than predicted, with fighting and dragon still being great offensive types. It's clear that Gamefreak took this gen as a chance to somewhat "Refurbish and Repair" what they thought was wrong with pokemon. This Gen and last Gen also helped give a lot of pokemon second chances, with Gamefreak giving many Hidden Abilities in Gen V and VI, and also a more blatant direct alteration of a few mons old abilities to new ones, and even base stat changes. Of course there were a few other changes to nerf special attackers like changes to base powers of special moves, and the addition of assault vest as a way to make many pokemon more specially bulky.

And while a lot has changed, a lot has stayed the same, and some old Gen V cores still work amazingly well in the new Gen VI environment, including one that I'm using, and have peaked at 2000+ under the alt Cool Joe on PS.

Teambuilding:
I wanted to start out with an old FWG defensive core that I have always loved, the Heatran-Celebi-Gastrodon core that made a name for itself in Gen V for being able to handle sun, rain and sandstorm teams very well.

I had been browsing the forums before making this team, and read a post raving about how amazing one pokemon has become since the fall of weather, and that is Keldeo. Now that strong rain boosted hydro pumps are no longer everyone's greatest fear, Keldeo's Specs and STAB boosted Hydro Pumps and Secret Swords are largely unprepared for and underestimated with out the rain, and I find it easy to tear teams apart. Plus, he isn't weak to any priority besides Talonflame, and has enough bulk to tank some pretty strong attacks and keep throwing his obscenely powerful attacks.

Ok so lets see, what pokemon is the super obvious choice as a fantastic partner to literally every single one of these pokemon? Tyranitar. Tyranitar was one of the pokemon blessed with a Mega-Evolution this Gen, and his gave him everything he could have realistically wanted. Higher attack, much better bulk, and a 10 point boost to his base Speed Stat, which I cannot stress enough makes him so insanely better of a pokemon by giving him the ability to outspeed Breloom without a boost, and Positive nature base 130's at +1. And I found a rather amazing set for him on youtube of all places.

With one spot left, I was really unsure of what to put here, and considered many pokemon like a Latias, who is fantastic this Gen and severely underused, I considered an Excadrill, since this was a sand team, and I had no hazard control so far, but that would give me an even greater weakness to fighting moves, and I was already putting a lot of pressure on Celebi, so I decided on an Aegislash. From my own battles, I have played against many Aegislash, but never used one before, and never found it hard to beat, just by simply spamming moves like Earth Power, Dark Pulse, Earthquake, and Sacred Fire on Entei (who is terrific this Gen with either Assault Vest or Choice Band, by the way.) So I decided to give it not a spooky plate, weakness policy, or leftovers, but an Air Balloon, and it has done wonders for fixing Aegislash's few flaws.

After I posted the team, and got suggestions on what I could use over Gastrodon, I settled on a scarf Landorus-T, which brought this team two things it really wanted, more speed, and U-turn, as well as helping out a lot against physical threats.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

Mega-Tyranitar is in my opinion one of the most underrated megas out there, because it is simply amazing and does not get nearly enough credit. With it's crazy 100/150/120 Defenses, it's easy to set up on basically anything besides strong fighting type attacks and will-o-wisp users. With Mega-Tyranitar's obscene base 164 Attack, It hits extremely hard even with only 4 EV's of investment, and by putting all those EV's in HP and Speed, it allows Mega-Tyranitar to set up easily, and outspeed many threats, like base 130's at +1, and basically anything that should be running a scarf and even max speed positive nature Deoxys-S at +2. Here are some damage calc's to show how impressive Mega Tyranitar's bulk becomes with the HP EV's:
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 228-270 (56.4 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 276-328 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 168-200 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 216-256 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 136-160 (33.6 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 216-256 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar: 312-376 (77.2 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 260-308 (64.3 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 83-98 (20.5 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 66-78 (16.3 - 19.3%) -- possible 6HKO

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Surf

Keldeo is a huge contributor to the team, and dishes out a ton of damage to both special and physical walls thanks to the nature of Secret Sword. Keldeo is an amazing breaker in this metagame, and nothing besides Jellicent and Celebi like switching into it's attacks. It also takes many priority moves very well, and can tank bullet punches and aqua jets all day long. Keldeo's bulk is good enough to survive attacks like a Scarf Garchomp's Outrage, and OHKO back with a Specs boosted Hydro Pump or Icy Wind. Keldeo also stops Toxic stall Gliscor from walking all over my team. Keldeo synergizes well with the team, as Heatran and Tyranitar takes the flying and psychic attacks it fears, while Gastrodon is immune to volt switches and Thunderbolts that could ruin Keldeo's day. Deffinitely willing to replace surf if there's a better option, Hidden power nerf really hurt Keldeo's movesets. I don't see anything replacing Keldeo all together though.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Aegislash is a fantastic new addition to the metagame, and perhaps the most influential new pokemon introduced in Gen VI and its a fantastic pivot and damage dealer for this team. With an amazing 4 Immunities (while Air Balloon is intact) It can switch into a number of attacks, most importantly fighting. Thanks to the many switches Aegislash can cause and how easy it is to take out threats by using one of it's great STAB attacks followed up by a Shadow Sneak, it's actually surprisingly easy to keep the Air Balloon intact. Aegislash destroys more defensive fairy pokemon like Florges that this team hates, and if played right, can beat Mega Lucario one on one from full health, especially variants without Dark Pulse. King's Shield is super useful, getting Aegislash back into Shield Forme, and can even help beat some of it's counters, like predicting a U-turn from a Lando-T, allowing Aegislash to tank the -2 EQ in it's Shield Forme, and hit back hard with a Shadow Ball.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Roar

Heatran is the fire type in my FWG core, and I run a basic Specially Defensive set. Heatan sets up rocks, and can use toxic and protect to hurt other mons while letting leftovers recovery heal itself. Heatran synnergizes amazingly with Celebi and Gastrodon, who take ground, water, and fighting attacks like champs, while also taking steel, fairy, poison, fire, psychic and normal attacks very well. Heatran also helps the team take will-o-wisps and toxics. Really irreplacable.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Spd / 220 Def
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Celebi is the grass type in my FWG core, and a grass type is so useful in this current metagame where Rotom-W runs rampant, and it's also great for being immune to Spore. Furthermore, Celebi's Natural Cure is extremely convenient in this status filled metagame. Giga Drain is great to recover a little health and deal some damage to Rotom-W, and Psychic hurts Assault Vest Conkeldurr, which this team struggles with. Recover for instant recovery, and Thunder Wave to cripple big threats like Lati@s, Mega-Lucario, and Greninja, making them much more manageable. Heatran makes an awesome partner for Celebi, and takes fire, bug, ice, and flying attacks that Celebi hates.

Previous Set:
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Spd / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

After trying a multitude of pokemon in this spot, from a ResTalk Gyarados, to Hippowdon, to Donphan, to Landorus I, I found that I liked having a bulky ground type, but that I also liked some speed, and I settled on a choice scarf Landorus-Therian. He brings so much to the team, between revenge killing, making physical threats easier to deal with, and the utility of U-Turn and Knock Off, that i already have a hard time trying to imagine the team working without him. It's really just amazing how he fits so well with the rest of the team. Also, scarf pokemon just seem so uncommon right now besides Genesect, and Scarf Lando-T often catches players off guard, and can net me a kill often when people bring in something like a Starmie or Greninja to try to outspeed and KO me.

Previously Gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

----------------------------------------------------------

While a lot has happened to the team already, I wouldn't consider this or any team to be perfect, and of course I am still open to suggestions. I'm sure there are EV or moveset changes out there that could improve any one of these pokemon.

Importable:
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Surf

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Spd / 220 Def
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Thanks for reading my RMT, And I'm open to any suggestions, no matter how large or small.

Last edited:
Reserved for replays

53 Turn battle that displays the team's durability and synergy very well, ending without losing a single team member: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76293630

Team handling an opposing rain team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75929638

Beating a team with both Greninja and Heliolisk, two huge problem pokemon for this team, but it's admittedly a bad example because I was aided greatly by focus miss, although the the focus miss only had a 12.5% chance to OHKO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76265353

Destroying Charizard-Y team that featured AV Conk and Garchomp: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76277966

-----------------------

Using revised team with Lando-T, beating Mega Mawile team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76286031

Last edited:
Hi there!Nice team and congrats on the peak!However,I would make slight changes to this team to suit my liking (obviously you don't HAVE to agree with them).Firstly,in my opinion,you team is wayyy too specially defensive and it lacks good physical walls.OU powerhouses like banded chomp(by the way most dragons will have an easy time outraging through your team),life orb SD Excadrill,band Scizor,band Terrakion(once Aegi is gone),SD Mega Lucario,double dance Landorus,etc..So,as a solution to this,I reccommend a sturdy physical wall to replace Gastrodon.Why Gastrodon?Because it's typing heavily overlaps Celebi's typing.Think about it:Gastrodon's immunities to electric and water are also Celebi's resists.In my opinion,Gastrodon is not sturdy enough to be your physical wall.I would reccommend a bulky ground like Hippo or Landorus or Mandibuzz with whirlwind over Gastrodon.They all have good defenses on both sides of the spectrum while having outstanding defense and can handle the abovementioned with is ease.Mandi can even Defog.You don't actually NEED a water type.The Celetran core is great enough

Also,Iron Head>Flash Cannon on Aegislash because most fairies are Specially Defensive.

First Advice: Don't DD T-Tar. He is very fragile and can't set up well. Also, Aegislash is a good physical attacker, not special. So ditch shadow ball and flash cannon. Use Sacred sword and something else, perhaps iron head or swords dance. Also, go with weakness policy over air balloon. Slash can take a fire type move like a champ, and weakness policy and SD followed by shadow sneak can OHKO most pokemon.

First Advice: Don't DD T-Tar. He is very fragile and can't set up well. Also, Aegislash is a good physical attacker, not special. So ditch shadow ball and flash cannon. Use Sacred sword and something else, perhaps iron head or swords dance. Also, go with weakness policy over air balloon. Slash can take a fire type move like a champ, and weakness policy and SD followed by shadow sneak can OHKO most pokemon.

sigh.. you clearly are new to gen 6. DD Tar 'fragile', and saying aegi isnt a good special attacker. please, don't post when you don't know what you're talking about.

as for tips, i also see a pretty solid greninja weakness, especially one running grass knot. there aren't many real counters to greninja however besides blissey, so that is tough to fix. the only way around that problem is to give a scarf to keldeo.

Hi there!Nice team and congrats on the peak!However,I would make slight changes to this team to suit my liking (obviously you don't HAVE to agree with them).Firstly,in my opinion,you team is wayyy too specially defensive and it lacks good physical walls.OU powerhouses like banded chomp(by the way most dragons will have an easy time outraging through your team),life orb SD Excadrill,band Scizor,band Terrakion(once Aegi is gone),SD Mega Lucario,double dance Landorus,etc..So,as a solution to this,I reccommend a sturdy physical wall to replace Gastrodon.Why Gastrodon?Because it's typing heavily overlaps Celebi's typing.Think about it:Gastrodon's immunities to electric and water are also Celebi's resists.In my opinion,Gastrodon is not sturdy enough to be your physical wall.I would reccommend a bulky ground like Hippo or Landorus or Mandibuzz with whirlwind over Gastrodon.They all have good defenses on both sides of the spectrum while having outstanding defense and can handle the abovementioned with is ease.Mandi can even Defog.You don't actually NEED a water type.The Celetran core is great enough

Also,Iron Head>Flash Cannon on Aegislash because most fairies are Specially Defensive.
Wow. I can't believe that I hadn't thought of Lando-T. I guess I was just kind of glued to the FWG core, but yeah that's definitely a great idea, and I'll try it for sure. As for Iron Head, I find that Flash Cannon is enough to beat most Fairies, and Flash Cannon takes advantage of the Special Attack investment, and does more damage to stuff like Mandibuzz and Tyranitar that resist Shadow Ball.

As for the concerns of Pjbball04 and hey yal, yes Greninja does cause problems for my team, but its not such a threat that it's impossible to play around, and it can't OHKO either Celebi or Keldeo, so I can either T-wave it with Celebi, or try to take it out with a Specs Sacred Sword from Keldeo. Aside from that, I try to get it to die from Life Orb recoil. Thank God it's not more common though.

Oh and I assure you it's very easy to get a DD up on Tyranitar.

Thanks for all the rates everyone.

Last edited:
sigh.. you clearly are new to gen 6. DD Tar 'fragile', and saying aegi isnt a good special attacker. please, don't post when you don't know what you're talking about.

as for tips, i also see a pretty solid greninja weakness, especially one running grass knot. there aren't many real counters to greninja however besides blissey, so that is tough to fix. the only way around that problem is to give a scarf to keldeo.
When I say fragile, I mean weakness wise. He can be OHKOd by a Mach punch from an iron fist expert belt infernape. Also, wat I meant to say was I think argol ash is a better physical attacker than special. It wouldn't hurt to have sacred sword to counter dark types and iron head for flinch hax. Sorry if I offended you, because you sure as hell offended me. Each person has the right to their own opinion.

Hey, I actually just played against you on the ladder, this team is very solid. One thing I would like to point out (from experience) is that you have some problems with stall in general, but especially SpD Zapdos. Now this pokemon isn't a staple of OU or anything, but it is one of the best possible Pokemon that can be run on stall atm. Ofc, as you may recall in our match Zapdos proved very detrimental to your team. Consider a few possible options to help fix this:

A. You can run perish song on Celebi which is a solid psuedo-phasing move, and will make it easy to force Zapdos out and threaten the opponent's team (all while healing toxic with natural cure).

B. Consider running some speed Evs on Hetran and giving it taunt. This is a fairly reliable way to beat many forms of stall.

C. If you don't want to try the above options, you can always consider replacing one of your core pokemon with a set-up sweeper or stall-breaker. I know someone in a previous post had mentioned Mandibuzz, which gives you a strong wall, and with Taunt it becomes a very solid stall breaker. Without one of these elements, your team will continue to remain solid vs. HO and Balanced, but will also consistently lose to well-played stall.

Good job on the team though, its very solid and looks fun, if you find a good way to address your stall problem's then it will be even better.

When I say fragile, I mean weakness wise. He can be OHKOd by a Mach punch from an iron fist expert belt infernape. Also, wat I meant to say was I think argol ash is a better physical attacker than special. It wouldn't hurt to have sacred sword to counter dark types and iron head for flinch hax. Sorry if I offended you, because you sure as hell offended me. Each person has the right to their own opinion.
first of all, a t-tar probably isn't staying in against a infernape. fragile 'weakness wise?' yeah, it has a 4x weakness to fighting, but it is one of the bulkier pokemon in the game, as proven by the calcs. also, infernape is no where near popular enough to not run a ttar because of it. third, mixed aegislash is one of the best wall breakers currently, as not many things can handle a shadow ball followed by a shadow sneak. and iron head for 'flinch hax?' what exactly is aegislash outspeeding these days? a

Umm actually... 252 Atk Expert Belt Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 230-274 (56.9 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even the worst possible scenario (aside from a crit) can't get the OHKO without rocks: 252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 312-372 (77.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar is really amazing this gen, especially it's mega-evolution which is crazy bulky and can set up a DD safely on even unboosted 2x super effective hits. I often find it easy to set up on a surf coming from a Lati@s that stays in thinking it will get hit by pursuit anyways.

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Pretty scary when you set up late game on a super effective STAB hit.

------------------

Oh and ChompX29, you're completely right, and I remember our battle. I did have quite a bit of trouble with that Zapdos, and if I end up going with the Lando-T over Gastrodon permanently, I'll definitely put taunt or maybe roar on Heatran in place of Stealth Rock, But I really don't have much trouble with Semi-Stall, or even most full stall teams if I play smart with my Tyranitar, but unfortunately I did not play my Ttar smart in our match and it definitely contributed to the loss. Thanks for the rate, and GG.

Last edited:
nice team i really enjoyed battling with it. knock off conkeldurr and mamoswine were really the only pokes that offered a challenge. Looking at the team it seems that dragons like hydreigon and salamence would be an issue. maybe a fairy type would help. This team is balanced and I enjoyed battling with it.
=)

Another small rate:Looks like you have quite a few problems with your team and as the other raters pointed out,Zapdos,Knock Off Conk,Mamoswine,and Greninja.I will give you a solution,but it will implement huge changes to your team.The pokemon I know that checks the above very well is Defensive Mega Venusaur(with Toxic).Now obviously with Mega Venu around,Mega Ttar has to go.I personally tested it out with Mega Venu over Celebi,Banded Talonflame (which heavily damages most of Keldeo's checks including Latias which is does over 70% to) over Ttar,and Donphan(without Stealth Rock) over Gastrodon.The team works great and in the 5 battles I have tested it in,I have not lost one (my test account had about 1830 points when I was testing by the way).However suggesting huge changes goes against the rating rules of Smogon(I'm breaking it because I am a hipster) but you should definitely try my changes out.
Sets:

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SAtk / 164 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Hidden Power [Ice](for Gliscors)

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man got your request! Personally I wouldn't really take most of the suggestions in this thread, I just thought I'd let you know that. Now it seems obvious that you are going for a ddtar sweep. You attempt this by wall breaking with Keldeo, who is nice this generation and synergies greatly with ttar, and you also use Aegislash to punch holes which is nice as well. Heatran gastrodon and celebi form your defensive backbone allowing you to absorb hits much better and have extra insurance against things like Talonflame, more specifically wow variants. As you said Gastrodon seems to be the weak link and I have ti say its true. Gastrodon is pretty godawful this generation just due to powerful stallbreakers and whatnot.

Over Gastrodon, I would try out Sheer Force Landorus. This keeps the basic synergy of the team while giving you even more offensive prowess. A Life Orb variant works but so does a Scarf Variant depending on what you want. Either open holes for Ttar to sweep. Next, I would run Iron Head over Flash Cannon. Iron head is generally better, as Aegislash is too slow to make use of the drop, and most things you ll hit with a steel move are hit harder by iron head anyway. I.e. Blissey, tyranitar, sylveon etc. lastly, run Physically Defensive Celebi. Physically invested celebi is a monster. It synergizes amazingly with Heatran even more so than now, helps greatly against things like Close Combat spam. Good luck with your team man, hope I helped!

So I've been using this for a few days with my testing accounts and can easily say, DDance ttar is such a monster. Whoa this is abeast. Any way, I've been testing out physically defensive pain split ro wash over gastrodan, and it has worked well, so maybe try
Rotom wash
Bold Leftovers
252 hp/200def/56 SpAtk
-volt switch
-hydro pump
-will o wisp
-pain split

Sorry if it looks ugly, I'm on my phone right now

This is only a quick suggestion, i don't like at all that Aegislash set, it's better to max attack and special attack with Sacred / Sneak / Shadow Ball / KS. I also don't like DD-tar, but if it works, there's no problem.

Hey there thanks for the rates again, and after some testing, I'd like to address the rates.

Magic123, I actually tried those changes because your suggestions did pique my curiosity, and while the team seemed pretty viable and was enjoyable to use, it really was a completely different team, and I still want to use Mega-Tyranitar, but it's definitely worth another tab on teambuilder.

TCR, thanks for coming to rate the team like I asked, I appreciate it. So with you suggesting iron head, and all the other suggestions, I went and ran some calcs, and realized that I must have messed them up before, as I hadn't factored in the SpD boost to Tyranitar from the sand, and I hadn't thought of Blissey before, so I made that change. After a few tests, changing Gastrodon to Landorus-I made the team way less bulky than I wanted it to be, and made Tyranitar (as his role can be changed between a pivot and a set-up sweeper depending on the opposing team), Celebi, and Heatran's jobs very difficult. However, I did find the additional speed and power extremely useful, and settled on a sort of compromise, a scarf Lando-T. Scarf Lando-T brings a lot to the team, making it very easy to out speed and beat some threats like Greninja and Heliolisk that I had trouble with before, while still adding considerable bulk to the team and making threats like Terrakion and Conkeldurr very manageable after and intimidate drop. He can revenge a lot of things with his powerful EdgeQuake combo, and has a ton of utility for the team with Knock Off and U-Turn. He can either try to knock out threats himself, or U-turn out to a counter after making them easier to manage after and intimidate drop.
As for physically defensive Celebi, I've been testing it out, and have no problems so far, and I think it's definitely an improvement to the team, the only thing I'm not so sure about is that that switch makes it a little harder to cripple things Latios with thunder wave, and that the team would have a little more trouble with most water types that often carry water attacks and ice attacks for coverage, but for right now at least, the switch has been made.

and Jordan, while Rotom-W is a great pokemon in this metagame, the flying, fire, water, and ground attacks it covers are already handled well by the rest of the team, and Lando-T helps a lot more with fighting type threats and physical threats in general, plus it is naturally immune to ground, instead of being reliant upon levitate, which is a huge plus with mold breaker excadrill still being pretty common.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Surf and Hydro Pump, as you mentioned, is not very viable. I suggest replacing Surf for HP [Ghost] as it hits Psychic types and Ghost types. Remember to update the OP!

yeah the only problem with that is that being stuck into a 60 BP hidden power kind of sucks, and that at least surf brings a more reliable option to complement Hydro Pump, and a STAB Surf has more power than a super effective 60 BP hidden power, and pokemon that would be hit harder by an HP Ghost, like Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevenant, I already have Icy Wind, which would hit nearly just as hard, and in addition, Heatran can beat all of them pretty easily. The reliability of surf kind of beats out an extra 3% damage on Trevenant. I just don't see Hidden Power nearly as viable on choice sets anymore, and it's too bad Keldeo has such an uneven movepool, full of so many physical attacks like Stone Edge, Poison Jab, and X-Scissor, and so few special options.

Umm actually... 252 Atk Expert Belt Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 230-274 (56.9 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even the worst possible scenario (aside from a crit) can't get the OHKO without rocks: 252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 312-372 (77.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar is really amazing this gen, especially it's mega-evolution which is crazy bulky and can set up a DD safely on even unboosted 2x super effective hits. I often find it easy to set up on a surf coming from a Lati@s that stays in thinking it will get hit by pursuit anyways.

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Pretty scary when you set up late game on a super effective STAB hit.

------------------

Oh and ChompX29, you're completely right, and I remember our battle. I did have quite a bit of trouble with that Zapdos, and if I end up going with the Lando-T over Gastrodon permanently, I'll definitely put taunt or maybe roar on Heatran in place of Stealth Rock, But I really don't have much trouble with Semi-Stall, or even most full stall teams if I play smart with my Tyranitar, but unfortunately I did not play my Ttar smart in our match and it definitely contributed to the loss. Thanks for the rate, and GG.
It is still weak to breloom's mach punch.

No I don't happen to have either a rapid spinner or a defogger. It turns out that with the overwhelming presence of rapid spin and defog, the vast vast majority of teams don't run spikes, and some don't even run rocks, but none of my team is weak to rocks, so it's very easy to play without hazard control, although it does occasionally suck.

Oh really. Tyranitar doesn't like playing against Breloom? Well guess what, Celebi sure as hell does. Please don't comment if you haven't read the rest of the posts, especially blatantly obvious statements like that. Breloom is uncommon, and does very poorly against the team on account of Celebi and the fact that it has very very few switch in opportunities, and Breloom can be taken out fairly easily with good prediction. As it is shown in the previous posts, Tyranitar also functions well as a breaker, and doesn't need to boost to deliver powerful hits and get KO's. It can easily come in, throw a strong attack or two, and switch back out. The team is very capable of winning in a variety of ways, and by no means is most of the weight put on Tyranitar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)