ORAS UU Birds ft. Articuno (Bird Team peaked 1716 elo Peak#2)

Hello everyone, this is Serp with a fire stall team featuring the based lord *cue drumroll pls* Articuno. Articuno has the base stats and movepool to really work well in the tier, however its crippling weakness to stealth rocks make it unusable. I also found Moltres to be a good partner to Articuno lol (I'll explain this later.) This team is built around removing hazards at all costs to defeat the opposition and keep the birds ready to fly. As such, the team has 3 hazard removers and three pressure users (pressure works on hazard moves). I was holding off on this RMT because I wanted to peak #1 with it but that seems like a pipe dream now (curse you pif ;-;) So I'll just have my proof of peak at #2 with 1716 elo which can be found with this replay --->http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-253175309

Teambuilding Process

The articuno+moltres core can check a lot of the tier but most importantly can defog on any hazard setter bar aerodactyl

The next natural choice is to have something that can beat Mega-Aerodactyl and can also remove hazard hazard from it and others like Rhyperior

Blissey is my obligatory special wall which can wall stuff that articuno couldn't : think Heliolisk

Suicune is the universal counter to almost everything and is used to patchup whatever holes I have and also still functions even if I screw up and let rocks enter my field

I round off the team with a fairy type with cleric abilities to ease the load of blissey. Its also a good way to deal with annoying dragons like Salamence or Haxorus and is also untauntable which is nice.

One thing I want to note is that my hazard removers can switch into the entire relevant tier's rock setters and remove hazards. So it doesn't matter that Articuno and Moltres are 4x weak to rocks, because they are switching in while the rocks are set and can defog it away.

THE SQUAD

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze
- Freeze-Dry​
Articuno is my primary defogger against special attackers and is also my Reuncilus, Suicune, and Snorlax check. It beats pretty much any bulky sweeper with haze and pressure is really nice because it makes the enemy pay for trying to fish for a scald burn or body slam para. Freeze-dry is a really nice stab move which can suprise a lot of waters who try and switch in to take advantage of Articuno's passitivity. It can defog on Nidoqueen, Empoleon, and other specially attacking rock setters

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 52 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Slash
Part two of the dynamic duo, Moltres can defog on physical attackers much like Articuno can defog on the special setters. Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Coballion all get defogged and fear the willo wisp burns. Willospam is in general a great tactic for Moltres as it can cripple would be counters like Empoleon or other steel types like Magneton. It also functions as a secondary fighting type switchin, although it is scared of stray stone edges. Pressure again shows its influence as Close Combat cannot be spammed because of its limited pp. Air Slash is an obligatory stab with a juicy flinch chance. Much like Articuno it still has relatively powerful attacks even though it is uninvested. Assuming, Moltres can get a burn on rhyperior, it can pp stall rhyperior stone edge and defog rhyp's rocks. Pressure <3.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
Forretress can remove hazards from the rest of the tier like Mega-Aerodactyl and and unburnt rhyperior. It's my slurpuff counter, my spike stacker, and carries a poisonous suprise for Jellicent and Chandelure who think they're getting a free switchin. Spikes because hazard stack with triple hazard control is obviously a good strategy.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
Is there something that this beast does not check :x. Scald is an OP move and foregoing the standard cm set, Suicune becomes a huge pain in the neck for the opponent. It can phaze almost anything and scares away physical attackers as well. 16 speed because it hits some cool stealth rock numbers and because I'm a mainstream hipster and refuse to get caught in the Suicune speedcreep wars.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

The best special wall in the tier, which more than makes up for its passitivitety. A pretty standard set here although its moves are pretty much interchangeable depending on your tastes. I don't run wish on blissey because it has too many good moves which are more valuable than what wish gives you imo.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
Fairy types are never bad, and Aromatisse lets me free up some moveslots on Blissey. Standard wishtect set with heal bell for maximum cleric responsibilty. Its a really nice when I'm under the duress of a taunt rooster like Mandibuzz for example.

THREATLIST

- This refers to Volturners in general, but Rotom heat is the most relevant of them all. Like all teams I make, I neglect a ground type and strong electric types can run amok if left unheld. Facilitating is more dangerous than it looks and makes the fact that I have a blissey irrelvant even though Blissey can wall it.

- Banded Headsmash tears holes. Granbull over Aromatisse is the obvious solution for it and is definitely more sound. But I like aromatisse because it frees moveslots on Blissey. Tyrantrum is just not seen enough (even though it should be) for me to get over my stubborn preferences and tendencies.
Use granbull over Aromatisse and wish on Blissey if you want to be more solid.

Last mon Sub-sd fml. Nascar Moltres can get a burn on it prior to set up, Articuno can live a hit to remove the sub with freeze dry, and suicune can scald if no sub and roar if its not the last mon. But last mon is a shit but can be dealt with by sacking articuno so Moltres can get a burn on it.
Shoutouts
beppityboopbop Being a bro
LeoLancaster Being a cool friend in chat
Bhris Brown Being bad at fantasy football
Sacri' Ladder friends n_n
DaSpoofy Cool innovation friend n-n
LilOu Helping me make cool names for the rmt
Pinkin Lark For being realistic and helping my team
Cyndequil. Not sure if you died but still a friend
Master Sunny-EX Always been really supportive.
Terrashock For your crazy mad skill and friendship
Hogg I think you're a good player and want you to notice me
Euphonos I like your innovation.
I_Derpy Don't see you that often but still appreciate our friendshipe
Cynthia's Chomp Hello Laurens n_n
Lilligant for OU Why can't I be as good as you :(
NV someone I look upto in the UU community n_n
Pak Good friend n_n
shiny sparrow FOR being a bro
Killintime Because youre cool

If
i forgot you just tell me n_n

Articuno @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze
- Freeze-Dry

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 52 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Slash

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
This team is really unique and hard to rate because I don't want to suggest changing Articuno/Moltres lol. As you noted Tyrantrum has his way with this team, 2HKOing or OHKOing everything. The only way that I can think of to help this is to slap a fat Steel like Mega Steelix over Aromatisee. You also get a nice electric immunity which you said you really wanted. Fighting spam and Dragons become super scary now so I'd also suggest swapping Blissey with Florges. Steelix can set rocks that Blissey previously set and Florges can provide Wish support (despite its poor HP) to your steels that cant recover. It's also possible to replace Forry with Steelix or Aggron so you keep Blissey, but I feel like it provides crucial Spin support in case your birds can't defog the rocks.

Cool team though!

This team makes no sense just likes CBUs 5? 4? (idk) eevee evolution team but it looks pretty cool ^^ Don't get how it peaked but owel

The team looks nice and although this cores are confusing (Articuno + Moltres whatttt ?_?) it seems to be working well I would recommend getting something to take taunts because I see taunt being a problemo. Aromotisse can get worn down quite easily cause it sucks and then your team loses to 50% of the tier cause 50% of the tier is basically fighting spam.

Also if you aren't running CM on suicune why are you running it at all. You could try vaporeon over suicune or aroma (idfk) which can be your wisher + provide heal bell at the same time. cause Aromatisse sucks. + scald absorbers + baton passer for momentum wish + scald>moonblast + fk fairy types

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 223-264 (48 - 56.8%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 150-177 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you replace suicune with vaporeon it basically means your fucked by physical mons possibly so maybe not? and if you replace aroma with vap you are weak to electric :s

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 205-242 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It doesn't help with the gatr problem too much too so you might need to replace more than ones mons.

You could replace forre with amoonguss (spore absorbers + free spore + mushrooms are tasty) and suicune for vaporeon cause defog on 2 mons + spikes sounds fucking retarded. Im so bad with RMTs ik those changes probably won't help at all cause you won't try them ofc :^ but meh good luck with the team n.n

An actual recommendation that might help not = Hurricane over air slash for the unnecessary power + air slash can miss too ya know :^

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If "I like to save moveslots" is your only argument, just use granbull. Blissey doesnt really need toxic to the point where it's worth not using bull, and you can now fit wishtect/heal bell on it. If heal bell and wish together is that important to you, just run heal bell on Articuno instead of haze

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Whatever you do don't remove haze since it is quite literally the only thing stopping EVERY bulky set up mon from just running you over. Also, it's amazing how you can get away with posting a stall team with only a single mention of Reuniclus and Snorlax considering they usually have their way with teams like this. For now I'll take your word for it, but relying on Pressure stall to beat the tiers biggest stall breakers seems shaky at best. Anyways, I think the team can struggle with something like Pursuit Aerodactyl + Reun provided they somehow manage to keep up rocks (taunt jelli perhaps?) There really isn't a good way to edit the team though since when you're working with niche mons you can't exactly change things around all willy nilly. So now that this post has no purpose, I guess I'll congratulate you on your success and be on my way!

Alright so I am a little new to UU but couldnt you fix some of your weaknesses by running Rest/Talk Mega Pert > Suicune. It give you an answer to Volt Switch and Tyrantrum. And I dont want to change too much but maybe you should just put Stealth Rock > Spikes on Fortress because spikes with double defog? hah Then that frees up a move on Blissey. So then I would suggest Wish > Stealth Rock and Heal Bell > Toxic on Blissey. So this makes Aromatisse dead weight so we can change that to Whims > Aromatisse. Then that helps vs set up mons and give you a way to stop Gatr from destroying you. So yeah thats all I got. It seems like the team is already really good as is if you managed to do so well with it but hopefully I gave some ideas that might help. Goodluck with it :]

Edit: I talked to you one time in the UU room. So I think you forgot me in the shoutouts.

Honestly i dont see much wrong with the team except that having two defoggers is a wasted opportunity, I would recommend letting Articuno keep defog and replace Moltres defog into a stab fire move such as Fire Blast. Other than that it also does seem a bit too bulky,but i cant really seem to think of any fixes for that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)