1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!

Challenge Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Peterko, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Your problem with Gravity is that you aren't using it correctly. You should be taking advantage of the accuracy boost to use moves like Focus Blast much more freely (if you can faint the opponent quicker, you don't have to worry about being out of Gravity too often) and the biggest selling point of Gravity is boosting the effectiveness of Ground as an offensive type which you aren't using at all. For example: Ground/Flying is unresisted in Gravity and you can hit Pokés like Skarmor with Earthquake for super effective damage
  2. atsync

atsync Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Well I'll admit that my team probably isn't the best way to use gravity. The team was just sort of thrown together with a bunch of pokemon I had lying around from other teams I'd made (Starmie was the only pokemon I went out of my way to obtain).

I was a little concerned that I wasn't abusing it enough and I was even contemplating changing my team to include more proper abusers. I think what held me back from doing so was that I kept getting into situations that prevented Starmie from activating gravity and surviving the first turn. For example, there were at least 5 occasions where I met an opponent leading with jolteon and a fake out user (ambipom and weavile are particularly nasty as they outspeed infernape and can fake out me before I can fake out them). That leaves me in an annoying situation where I can either fake out jolteon and hope that the opponents fake out user doesn't hit starmie, or fake out the opponents fake outer and hope that jolteon misses the thunder on starmie (note that I have met thunder jolteon at least 50 times in all of my streaks and I haven't seen it miss thunder ONCE). Alternatively, I can switch out and hope that I can come in and use gravity later. Usually what I do in this situation is try fake out jolteon and hope to get up gravity. I then switch out regardless of whether gravity was set up or not. In the times where gravity wasn't activated, I was thankful for having reliable moves that allowed me to get out of these situations. Still, I guess I could afford to through focus blast on Hydreigon or something.

I was aware that wasn't using a ground move at all. I decided to focus on the accuracy-raising effects of gravity because I guess I just dislike hurting my team mates with earthquake (and I can't turn to levitate because gravity negates that) and I currently don't have access to a decent earth power user. I suppose I could come up with a better team that doesn't mind taking team earthquakes though. I might give it a try some other time but for now I have other things I want to focus on.

Thanks for the feedback though.
  3. Cradily

Cradily

Yes, Using gravity effectively is like using tailwind effectively in my experience. The best way to use tailwind is through prankster because its guaranteed. Unfortunately no one gets prankster and gravity. That maybe true for the next installment of games though-who knows. Thus gravity is not always that effective due to fake out and poke just out speeding starmie and killing it. I would love nothing more than to make a prankster grav team.
  4. bluemon

bluemon

watch pokemon gray come up with a perma gravity ability lol.

my ds turned off at my streak of 76 :(
  5. Cradily

Cradily

Ha that would be legit,

Slap a charger on that!!
  6. atsync

It would be nice if they at least came up with an item that allowed for gravity's effects to be prolonged (like light clay does for reflect and light screen). One of these days...
  7. bluemon

bluemon

i want that to happen to trick room rather than gravity.

trick clay anyone?
  8. atsync

Just make one for both of them (and tailwind too).

Also, has anyone else tried Scarf Darmanitan as a lead in super singles? I got the idea from navi823's record and its been pretty impressive. It's so easy to use. You just Flare Blitz if the opponent is sure to die (this applies to a lot of stuff) and U-turn out if you can't kill it. I put a team together with Darmanitan and was able to get a streak of 62 on my first try (I lost because an Electrode paralyzed me with Static as I killed it, allowing a Jynx to sweep my whole team -_-). Might be worth a try if someone is looking for something different (i.e. not just a standard cripple-for-a-sweeper team).
  9. bluemon

bluemon

hmmm.. interesting.

maybe a rotom-w + darmantian + haxorus team?

OH WAIT they cant all be scarfed.

maybe they can each hold their respective locking item for the lulz :)

specs rotom, scarf darmanitan, and band haxorus lol
  10. Mr. XYZ

Mr. XYZ

@ Atsync

I made my best singels streak with scarfed Darmanitan and the dmg output is really over the top.Most of the time you just Flare Blitz through teams so it´s really fast to get through a set of 7 trainers. You have to pair it up with a defensive mon because after a while you have to use U-turn more often. Usually you get attackt with water and ground moves so make sure you have something that resists.[SIZE=-2]

Darmanitan, Suicune, Scizor

[/SIZE]
  11. DrDimentio

DrDimentio

I find the perfect counter-teaming suspicious as well. Also reminds of me of when I tried Jumpman's Drapion team in 4th gen and got completely screwed (my 'Battle Tower Hax' video) in the second battle using that team... not battle 2, if you know what I mean. The game is not worth the disappointment.

I'm taking it seriously because I can relate to it, lol... it's why I've given up on the game and started playing an excellent tactical RPG - Fire Emblem. It requires plenty of thinking just like Pokemon, only without hax.

Too late in my case, lol.

P.S. Someone else should try using Spite like I did, and see if you get a better streak with that move...
  12. atsync

Holy crap I didn't even see your streak on the list lol.

I was thinking of teaming it up with Rotom-W, who has served me well on other teams. It has good bulk and resists water and ground. It also has volt switch which I see being useful for getting Darmanitan in for free if I have to U-turn out at the start of the battle. I'll probably just use Latios as my third member unless I can think of something else.
  13. Mr. XYZ

Mr. XYZ

Rotom-W could work because it counters nearly all water types,especially with HP grass for those nasty water/ground types. Latios also resits water and ground and takes care of dragons which can cause problems.
    I would say try it.

I´ll give my Darmanitan team one more try after my actual streak has finished :D
  14. atsync

I restarted my Darmanitan team and it was going so well until I lost at battle 48 to this:

930 | Zapdos | Bold | BrightPowder | Charge Beam | Heat Wave | Double Team | Roost | HP/SpD

Thanks to brightpowder and double team, none of my attacks hit it while it happily boosted up D:<

Still, this is a great team. As long as you play your cards right, the only way you'll lose is if some ridiculous hax occurs (see above). I guess I'll start a new streak again tomorrow...
  15. soybntree

soybntree

Super Subway Singles

[​IMG]

Dusclops@ Eviolite
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Hp / 80 Def / 176 SpD
    Nature: Calm
    ~ Flash
    ~ Memento
    ~ Taunt
    ~ Pain Split​

Okay this thing is amazing!! Its really bulky due to Eviolite!! making it perfect for crippling leads!! So the plan is go in and flash them loads and maybe use Taunt as well so i'm not worrying about any stats if my health goes down I can use Pain Split then when finished I use Memento now depending on the pokemon or situation I switch in either Dragonite or Empoleon.​

[​IMG]

Empoleon @ Petaya berry
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 36 Hp / 16 Def / 252 SpAtk / 204 SpD
    Nature: Modest
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice beam
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Agility​

Very effective set it wasn't my idea but it works well so...anyway use Substitute and Agility until I reach the point where Torrent and the Petaya berry kicks in! Empoleon is great due to its typing and in general!!
    [​IMG]

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 SpD
    Nature: Jolly
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Fire Punch/Earthquake
    ~ Roost​

A semi bulky Dragonite here i'm annoyed I cant get Multiscale but it should work well regardless..I hope

please rate before i train up :)
  16. bluemon

bluemon

1) meanlook is pointless because the AI DOESNT SWITCH
    2) petaya berry is illegal
  17. soybntree

soybntree

do you suggest Pain Split then? I only had it for U-turn/dragon tail such moves
    What would you say is a good replacement?
  18. bluemon

bluemon

pain split definitely.
  19. soybntree

soybntree

okay thanks i've changed it!! Any ideas for an item? What do you think i should use on dragonite fire punch or earthquake?
  20. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

You should refrain from using that Empoleon set because it really only works with Petaya Berry and we have no idea when that will be released.

Use Fire Punch on Dragonite for the best coverage in 2 attacks. I would also definitely suggest using Multiscale on Dragonite
  21. bluemon

bluemon

Okay i just came up with a subway team.

darmanitan @choice scarf
    adamant
    8 hp 248 attack 248 speed (level 50 max)
    -flare blitz
    -rock slide
    -superpower
    -u-turn

haxorus @choice band
    40 hp 248 attack 216 speed
    adamant
    -outrage
    -earthquake
    -brick break
    -dragon claw

porygon 2 @eviolite
    248 hp 160 defense 98 special defense
    bold
    -thunderbolt/charge beam
    -ice beam
    -toxic/doube team
    -recover

any comments/ suggestions?
  22. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

248 EVs is not level 50 max (assuming 31 IVs). You should either have 244 or 252. Darmanitan also has 4 unused EVs. It should really be 4 / 252 / 4 / 0 / 4 / 244 or... I would just do max speed with 4/252/252 because one extra stat point in defenses probably isn't letting it survive much more.

Definitely Toxic on Porygon 2. When I used P2 on Subway, other than Recover, Toxic was the most used move on P2. Toxic and Recover work extremely well together for stalling.

I don't think I ever got over 56 on my Whimsicott/Smeargle/Espeon team. Last time losing was vs Toxic Spikes Drapion. I guess maybe that's why I should have taunt on Whimsicott. Heh, o well. I won't be having much time to play in the next short while. I'll see if I come up with something somewhat creative to try out again.
  23. bluemon

bluemon

Wait really?

i thought 8= one number up on stat. so they all had to be divisible by 8... i guess not.
  24. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

8 = one number up for stats, except for the first 4EVs ... in most cases, so should be 4 + # divisible by 8.
  25. bluemon

bluemon

ohhhh okay gottit.
    thanks.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)