Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

Somehow I only just found this thread... and I'm glad to see both Peterko and Jumpman are still doing their thing.

However, I may not even bother with the Subway, which is surprising when you consider the 1000s of hours I wasted on the Tower in Pearl, Platinum and HeartGold. My best in Platinum was a mere 646, only about a quarter of the legendary duo's record.

(Legendary duo = Peterko and Jumpman; Peterko is exclusive to Pokemon White, while Jumpman is in Black)

I did a streak of 77 using my completely unchanged 646 team from Platinum:

1. Cresselia ~ Aether
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 230 Speed, 28 Defense
IVs: 31-x-31-27-31-31
Level 50 Stats: 227-73-158-93-150-134
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Flash
- Light Screen

2. Salamence (shiny) ~ Dargon
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def
IVs: 31-31-31-31-31-31
Level 50 Stats: 170-205-100-117-101-152
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

3. Registeel ~ HardNess
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP, 140 Defense, 100 Attack, 16 Sp. Defense
IVs: 31-31-31-x-30-31
Level 50 Stats: 187-108-188-79-189-70
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Curse
- Amnesia

... it just felt a bit 'meh' for unknown reasons. I took a while to adjust to the actual switching that the AI does if locked into non-attacking moves. I'm surprised at how effective Registeel still is, despite the absurd power level of many new 5th-gen threats.

Anyway, not sure if you'll bother to add that practice streak to the list (it was 77), I'm also unsure if I'll bother to try and place high on the list... just doesn't seem as fun as 4th-gen was.

I don't understand how you people get far in the Subway.. I use a decent team and I always lose at around 14-21 :L

@ Dimentio if you dont trick an Umbreon into a scarf, you lose to it because you have no special attacks at all. Youre not even using toxic

Hello Zoroark. They usually don't do a whole lot besides confusing people who don't pay attention, since they're rather underwhelming when used by in-game trainers.
I suppose it could have been a Zoroark, but I swear I 2HKO all of his pokes, so wouldn't that have broken Illusion?

So lost again with the same team at 206 and of course... to a hail team.
I aimed for the 200 but I think i can go on to 300 and more. Probably the most annoying mons are Sand Veil Gliscor & Garchomp and fighting types with Ground resistance.

Just love to play in the sand with this team :)

Super Double

Despotar @ Balloon
Sandstorm
Adamant
252 HP, 252 Att
Lvl 50 stats: 200-204-121-100-110-85
Crunch
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Protect

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Sand Rush
Adamant
82 HP, 252 Att, 176 Speed
Lvl 50 stats: 191-204-68-57-82-130
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor
Protect

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Sand Veil
Jolly
252 Att, 252 Spe
Lvl 50 stats: 183-181-111-77-94-165
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Blast
Protect

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest
Lvl 50 stats: 192-118-96-171-100-64
252 HP, 252 SpA
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Discharge

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/hnjq-4-jpg-rc.html

I also would like to have some opinions on a possible Stoutland set i thought about:

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Sand Rush
Adamant
252 Att, 252 Spe
Return
Wild Bolt/ Fire Fang
Ice Fang
Protect

Could this work?

Now I´m going to work on my Singels streak, all I´ve got to say so far is that the AI does really wierd things to my Rotom-W,Ferrothorn,Dragonite Trick team...

So lost again with the same team at 206 and of course... to a hail team.
I aimed for the 200 but I think i can go on to 300 and more. Probably the most annoying mons are Sand Veil Gliscor & Garchomp and fighting types with Ground resistance.

Just love to play in the sand with this team :)

Super Double

Despotar @ Balloon
Sandstorm
Adamant
252 HP, 252 Att
Lvl 50 stats: 200-204-121-100-110-85
Crunch
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Protect

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Sand Rush
Adamant
82 HP, 252 Att, 176 Speed
Lvl 50 stats: 191-204-68-57-82-130
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor
Protect

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Sand Veil
Jolly
252 Att, 252 Spe
Lvl 50 stats: 183-181-111-77-94-165
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Blast
Protect

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest
Lvl 50 stats: 192-118-96-171-100-64
252 HP, 252 SpA
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Discharge

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/hnjq-4-jpg-rc.html

I also would like to have some opinions on a possible Stoutland set i thought about:

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Sand Rush
Adamant
252 Att, 252 Spe
Return
Wild Bolt/ Fire Fang
Ice Fang
Protect

Could this work?

Now I´m going to work on my Singels streak, all I´ve got to say so far is that the AI does really wierd things to my Rotom-W,Ferrothorn,Dragonite Trick team...
I've used that Stoutland in Random Matchup (but with 252HP instead of Speed, Sand Rush makes him fast enough already), it's pretty good but it can't OHKO alot of things.

That´s what I expected, lack of power... seems not worthy enough to replace Garchomp for a "speed up".
To Outspeed everything in the Subway it sadly needs nearly all speed EV´s (240 with 31 IV´s, 252 to outspeed my own Excadrill)

You won't need to outspeed everything in the subway, you'll need to outspeed everything that is a threat (most really high speed choice scarf pokes don't pose a large threat. Stoutland isn't necessarily forced into a 252 speed investment.
doubles team
Congrats on the streak, looks a pretty solid doubles team.

Can I ask for the thought process behind Eelektross? I know it's a nice perk to have no weaknesses and it grants the Earthquake & discharge freedom, but surely something else could suffice? I can't say for certain but perhaps if you have troubles with anything there are probably some better adapted "counters" to those problems whilst maintaining the core idea behind the team. Eelektross would still take damage from SS and it doesn't hit that hard or that fast, I'd imagine there's often problems of missing out a few critical OHKOs that a pokemon like Latios may score. I may be wrong, I suppose the summarised question would be is Eelektross' bad stats and SS weakness worth the benefit of Eq/ discharge?
But even in that instance, I'd still be more tempted by Zapdos*. Hail may be a problem but ice- pokemon are easily dealable with 2 very hard hitting rock slides, and if the hail itself is a problem then one can always play around that by switching out Tyranitar to consolidate Sandstorm.

* Zapdos may not be the best example (terrible attacking movepool), but it can still get flash (flash + Sand veil troll ftw) and other support moves. Zapdos is also a lot more bulky with the way the AI interprets roost.

I'm not criticising as such, I just want to know some of your ideas behind choosing Eelektross (a pokemon I probably wouldn't have thought of)?

Yeah Eelektross, why use something nobody uses :D
You already figured out the Discharge& Earthquake freedom, which was one of the main points for choosing it.I agree Zapdos could do this as well, maybe even better cause of higher SpA. The movepool isn´t really bad, in fact it´s nearly the same: Heatwave,Thunderbold,Discharge + Hp:Ice/Grass. And here the problem starts, I haven´t got one with good IV´s and don´t wanted to start FireRed or SoulSilver again. Just some lazyness on my side. If I could get my hands on a flawless HP:Ice Zapdos (nope, no GTS for me -.- ) I may have never thought about Eelektross.

So I began to look after some Eq-immune Special Attacker which is easily available and found it.
The no weaknesses part really makes prediction a lot easier because the AI seems to always want to attack with SE moves which I can protect and gain a free turn for Eelektross.
The low speed helps a lot against Trickroom teams which caused trouble for Garchomp and Excadrill.

Hail teams are really the greatest problem for the team. Not the hail itself, but everything together. I either need to sacrifice something to get the sand back up and put me on a 3:4 or stay in and get a 3:3 or a 4:3.
My first big streak ended because I sacrifced the wrong mon ( and to Quick Claw hax, but it wouldn´t have mattered if I saved the right mon), the second streak ended because I stayed in and hail was up for double 100% Blizzards...
So it´s a bit difficult.

I don´t think you´re criticising, it´s nice to get some interest :D

I must admit I didn't consider trickroom problems (I've had no doubles experience so far in B/W), although I suppose diversity is especially important to maintain in doubles. Zapdos probably wasn't the greatest suggestion, I do like the Eelektross. Perhaps it may be viable to substitute flash cannon for grass knot? Grass knot's real power is with the bulky pokemon which I wouldn't imagine cause that much of a problem, and without the 100 or 120 power it loses efficiency, especially when there's other opinions available. U-turn or volt change could also be interesting (although not really recommended).

I was actually going to suggest rotom (heat form) it has good special attack, it is resistant to ice- moves, it has decent sp. def. It also could go either low or high speed, low speed achieving a lot more bulk which may really help in sticky situations. And it's got the discharge/ Eq perk.

However, looking at your losses some more experience and a bit more luck is all that is required to go further. My main point is that whatever move or niche that you've come up with on paper isn't really being used can be changed easily, because the basis of a SS team really lends itself to various diversifications. Perhaps there's a better way to abuse the Sp. Def boost (Terrakion could be interesting). Anyway, good job

Okay, seriously?

Has anyone else had troubles with their games freezing in Subway? It froze yesterday and today both around 40 battles in and this is total bullshit. It would be really nice if I could stop getting cheated out of getting a streak

Okay, seriously?

Has anyone else had troubles with their games freezing in Subway? It froze yesterday and today both around 40 battles in and this is total bullshit. It would be really nice if I could stop getting cheated out of getting a streak
Perhaps it's your DS? If you're sure that it isn't, then would you care to elaborate?

Perhaps it's your DS? If you're sure that it isn't, then would you care to elaborate?
It's one of a few things:
A) 350+ hours on the cartridge
B) Switching DS units often
C) I'm playing on one of two original DS units because all I have aside from that is the 3DS, and they don't sell cases for the 3DS yet so I refuse to take it in public

If anyone else is suffering from their game freezing at random points in time, feedback would help

C) I'm playing on one of two original DS units because all I have aside from that is the 3DS, and they don't sell cases for the 3DS yet so I refuse to take it in public

If anyone else is suffering from their game freezing at random points in time, feedback would help
I have about 550 hours on my Black, and it doesn't freeze randomly.

And what's wrong with the 3DS? I don't have one (no good games), but I haven't heard many complaints about it thus far.

My old DSLite had problems with one of the contacts to cartridges due to wear, and it got worse and worse until I had to put the cartridge in several times and reboot the DS before it would even recognize the game. And when it did recognize the game, I then often had problems with random freezing, saving errors, and so on. Obviously I'm no expert, but your issue sounds similar to how mine was at the beginning.

Anyway, I'm struggling to break 60 battles in Super Singles. I've gotten close a few times, but get "unlucky" quite often and the streak just ends. I'm using Spiritomb/Flygon/Rotom-W, I might post it in more detail if I can get up around the 100 mark (I think the team can, it's just a case of me using the list more and not winging it so much lol... which is why I can't really complain about luck I guess).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I finally broke 50 (53) with a VGC '11 team in the Super Doubles Train! Yeah, yeah, it's easy to do with Latios / Tyranitar / Garchomp / Salamence / etc, but it's frigging hard with Unovamonsonly.

The team (and a decent VGC '11 team too):

Thundurus
"*Zephos*"

Prankster
Timid
31/2/30/31/31/31
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Discharge, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, Volt Change
Choice Specs

Krookodile
"Sale"

Intimidate
Jolly
31/31/31/X/31/31
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Earthquake, Crunch, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw
Choice Band

Tornadus
"Genie"

Prankster
Jolly
31/31/31/X/31/31
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Tailwind, Acrobat, Swagger, Protect
Flight Jewel

Conkeldurr
"Hinox"

Guts
Adamant
31/31/31/X/31/31
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Superpower, Rock Slide, Mach Punch, Protect
Flame Orb

The team is your standard EQ / Discharge lead with Tailwind / Priority in the back. Unfortunately, the subway doesn't completely mirror VGC, so this team is a bit awkward and stiff, but it's solid enough. It works better when you can bring 6 choose 4 (Mienshao and Druddigon).

I actually didn't eventually lose to hax. I thought my Jolly, Banded Krookodile could 1HKO a Musharna to prevent it setting up Trick Room. Don't know if I got a crazy low dice roll or what, but it lived and set up TR. Figured I could KO it's couple of HP with Conkeldurr's Guts-Boosted Mach Punch. Nope. GG. Gotta remember that. <<< Which is why the Subway isn't a terrible place to practice when you don't have wifi available. Either way, I'd rather die to a stupid move on my part, that I can learn from and change in the future, than to lose to hax, which I can neither control nor prepare for.

If I could work trick room in there (possibly Whimsicott instead of Tornadus?) I could see this team hitting 100, and possibly doing well in VGC '11.

Super Doubles Boss Vid: 66-52221-99456

You really undererstimate the power of Grass knot. The bulky pokemon which are hit for SE aren´t dangerous but annoying (for example Swampert,Hippo), also a lot of them carry Curse and than they get dangerous.
The Grass/Stab-Elektro/Fire coverage works great with the rest of the team and only Eelektross gets it without Hidden Power. Currently I think about dropping Thunderbolt or Discharge for Thunderwave. Flashcannon isn´t needed I hurt Ice enough with Fire and Ice/Waters with Electric.
Each Rotom form has one disadvantage compared to Eelektross: Either the Sp.A drop (Leaf Storm, Overheat) or Accuracy ( Hydro Pump, Blizzard) and Air Slash just sucks :P
If it still had his Ghost type it would be a great switch in for the Fighting attacks thrown at my starters.
The Genies seem to be great for a the team: Thunderus could eventually work like a less bulkier Zapdos, but of course I have a Jolly one with perfekt SpA and crappy Att IV´s, Landorus similar to Garchomp and Tornadus could hax around with the 100% accurate Hurricane.

Maybe it´s just me, but I only see Zapdos doing the needed job better than the electric eel.

This is my team for Double battles :

Staraptor@choice scarf
Reckless
Adamant
28/31/26/xx/31/31
252 Speed
252 atk
6 HP
Brave bird
Double edge
Close combat
U-turn

Garchomp@yatche berry
Sand Veil
Jolly
17/31/31/xx/31/31
252 Speed
252 Atk
6 HP
Dragon Claw
Outrage
Earthquake
Swords Dance

Latios@focus sash
Levitate
Timid
Don’t remember IV, i soft reset lots of times with a masterball and a Sync Abra, in order to get at least 16 IV to outspeed Garchomp, and good Special Attak
252 Speed
252 Special Attak
6 HP
Draco Meteor
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Slaking@choice band
Truant
Adamant
21/31/27/xx/31/31
252atk / 100speed / 156 Special Defence
Double edge
Brick break
Fire punch
Ice punch

I got amazing results with this reckless staraptor i bread from the dream world... about 85% of the times, Staraptor KOs one opponent in the first turn with double edge or brave bird, and usually i SD on Garchomp on the first turn. Another good option is chomp’s earthquake, usable with latios too, in cases of sturdies and/or pokemon that cannot be OHKO by staraptor

Also, the sashed Latios (instead of a classic sashed Chomp and life orb/choice spec Latios) is resulting more efficient, at least in my experience.... this way, latios can survive, aside from obvious CH, sucker punches (lots of them), and, in the cases of trick room i couldn't avoid, guarantees at least one shot)

AI’s still cannot take advantage of Slaking’s truant, so i still find its ability to switch-in to almost any pokemon, and to OHKO almost anything, of great help.

I’m currently at battle 42 with my third attempt (first lost with an indecent Glaceon that quick clawed blizzard my team to death, note that hail wasn’t in effect), second attempt lost at battle 48 LOL to a scarfed thundurus that rock slided and flinched staraptor first turn, then another flinch on chomp on second, nothing to do)

I really need help building this team. :S

Scizor @ Life Orb "Smack.Dat"
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Pursuit
Swords Dance
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk

I figure putting Hp Investment may help, and i don't need speed with Priority and whatnot.

Milotic @ Leftovers "Nessie"
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Bold
Scald
Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def

I think (From lurking here many months) that this is a fairly decent 'Tanking Milotic'. Should be able to take any fire attack scizor doesn't like.

Aaaand now i'm stuck. I'm thinking a ground type, like Gliscor, maybe Garchomp although i want a different team from my Diamond team.
And then i thought maybe Gengar or Thundurus? Which one of these would be good for coverage an whatnot?

I´ll try to help you.
First Superpower( If you got access to a Gen IV movetutor)/ Brick Break over Pursuit, otherwise you will get walled to much. Milotic looks fine.

Standart Garchomp works always, or you try timid Gengar@ Sash, Shadowball/Thunderbolt/Fokus Blast/Destiny Bond as a lead.
Pretty standart and nothing special, but at least it works.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'd rather just teach it Brick Break, it should do the trick with some SD's set up + Life orb.
So yeah, would i max EV's in Speed and Sp. Atk. For Gengar then?
I like the Gengar idea, i think i'll go with it. Cheers!
I'll post what streak i can get soon. :)

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On that Scizor, pursuit doesn't seem ideal. The AI rarely switches, so you lose the main value of the move, and even with technician, night slash hits harder.

But a dark move in general seems suboptimal on this set. Against dark-weak opponents, pursuit doesn't give you much damage over the alternatives. STAB bug bite hits MUCH harder on psychics, and STAB bullet punch covers ghosts, the two types that dark hits for super effective damage.

In its place, I recommend superpower, which keeps Scizor from getting badly walled by steel types.

EDIT:
Looking back, I see you've suggested Brick Break instead. I still think that superpower would serve you better, as in my experiences in the subway (I've used swords dance Scizor on two different 100+ streak teams), there are situations where you badly need a one hit KO, and don't have time to set up multiple (or even any) of swords dances. Superpower hits substantially harder than brick break, and gives you a lot of KOs that brick break does not.

well i managed to win battle 49 with the hereby team... now, before proceeding, i'd like to share some opinions about adjustements.... i'm consiedring those changes :

- in place of chomp (and changing Lations from focus sash to life orb), this :
infernape@focus sash
iron fist
jolly
252speed/252atk/6hp
fake out
fire punch
thunder punch
close combat

fake out will make sure then in the first turn starapor can kill or deal great damage to the right opponent. also, fake put helps on faster scarfed pokemon that could outspeed staraptor, and/or the danger of quick clawers. fire punch and thunder punch are helped by the 20% increase of iron fist vs blaze.

Another idea is to change slaking with this :
Dragonite@yatche berry (and changing garchomp from yatche berry to focus sash, and lations from focus sash to life orb)
jolly
multiscale
252 speed/252 atk/6 hp
dragon dance
outrage
earthquake
fire punch

multiscale provides coverage to switch-in into everything. if not switch-in, dragon dance on first turn, and then sweep... earthquake should help if latios is still in and/or there are 2 opponenents left and dragonite is alone

----------------------------------
This is my team for Double battles :

Staraptor@choice scarf
Reckless
Adamant
28/31/26/xx/31/31
252 Speed
252 atk
6 HP
Brave bird
Double edge
Close combat
U-turn

Garchomp@yatche berry
Sand Veil
Jolly
17/31/31/xx/31/31
252 Speed
252 Atk
6 HP
Dragon Claw
Outrage
Earthquake
Swords Dance

Latios@focus sash
Levitate
Timid
Don’t remember IV, i soft reset lots of times with a masterball and a Sync Abra, in order to get at least 16 IV to outspeed Garchomp, and good Special Attak
252 Speed
252 Special Attak
6 HP
Draco Meteor
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Slaking@choice band
Truant
Adamant
21/31/27/xx/31/31
252atk / 100speed / 156 Special Defence
Double edge
Brick break
Fire punch
Ice punch

I got amazing results with this reckless staraptor i bread from the dream world... about 85% of the times, Staraptor KOs one opponent in the first turn with double edge or brave bird, and usually i SD on Garchomp on the first turn. Another good option is chomp’s earthquake, usable with latios too, in cases of sturdies and/or pokemon that cannot be OHKO by staraptor

Also, the sashed Latios (instead of a classic sashed Chomp and life orb/choice spec Latios) is resulting more efficient, at least in my experience.... this way, latios can survive, aside from obvious CH, sucker punches (lots of them), and, in the cases of trick room i couldn't avoid, guarantees at least one shot)

AI’s still cannot take advantage of Slaking’s truant, so i still find its ability to switch-in to almost any pokemon, and to OHKO almost anything, of great help.

I’m currently at battle 42 with my third attempt (first lost with an indecent Glaceon that quick clawed blizzard my team to death, note that hail wasn’t in effect), second attempt lost at battle 48 LOL to a scarfed thundurus that rock slided and flinched staraptor first turn, then another flinch on chomp on second, nothing to do)

Why not Giga Impact on a choice banded slacking?
that is a good question... consider that i played the 2nd generation game (ruby or similar) from the begininng, just to be able to capture and breed a slaking, 'cause that was the only game where it was possible to teach slaking double-edge.

the reason for double edge over giga impact is clearly for accuracy, remembering that this slaking was intended exlusivly for use in the battle tower... in the long run, giga impact will eventually fail... and considering that you will not be able to attack the next turn, that means that you'll have to whitstand 2 (3 if opponent is faster, 4 if opponent is faster and you switched-in) hits before being able to retaliate....that means that you probably won't have a second chance.. so i preferred the 100% accuracy, over the power of gigaimpact.... (anyway, a choiced banded - adamant - 31 iv & 252 ev attack - slaking's double edge, is something that destroys most pokemon in the game...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)