SM UU Blaze

AbrarWasee

formerly Train All

Introduction

Hi guys! This is a team I built around with Infernape. It is one of my favourite Pokemon and why not? It looks so cool. While building, this team took a bulky offensive approach which is my favourite playstyle. So, lets jump in the team.

Teambuilding Process

I started the team with Infernape as it is my favourite Pokemon and is quite underrated. I chose the Nasty Plot set as it can work as an early-game wallbreaker to weaken the opposing team or be sweeper when it's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened.

I wanted to take a hazard stacking approach, while also having a strong defensive backbone. Forretress is a great Pokemon in this role as it also gives slow Volt Switch support for Infernape to bring it in safely due to Infernape's poor bulk. It also provides hazard removal to prevent my Pokemons from wearing down.

I noticed that Infernape is easily threatened by the tier's most common Psychic-types. Choice Scarf Hydreigon can easily solve that problem while also giving me some speed. It can also form a VoltTurn core with Forretress. It also benefits from Infernape's ability to check Steel types like Cobalion and Scizor who can take benefit of Hydreigon being locked in a single move and set up.

I added Swampert as it gives Stealth Rock for the hazard stacking theme which helps Infernape nab some crucial KOes. Swampert benefits from Infernape's ability to kill Grass-types and Swampert in return strengthens the team's defensive backbone.

I noticed that my team is a bit weak to Specially Defensive Pokemons. And it would be nice to have a secondary wincon. Mega Aerodactyl is obviously the best Mega in UU and benefits well from Infernape's ability to lure in bulky Water-types which Mega Aerodactyl struggles to break through. Aerodactyl also deals with Fighting types in the tier.

My team was almost complete. While looking for the final member, I found this team's unfortunate weakness to Fairy types, namely Clefable and Primarina. To deal with them, I added Gengar. Gengar is a strong wallbreaker capable of leaving holes in the opposing team so that it's teammates can sweep. It also deals with Fairies through Sludge Wave and spinblocks which is pretty neat.

By now, my team was complete. When I was playtesting, I noticed that this team has a big weakness to Choice Scarf Keldeo. To mitigate this, I added Tentacruel instead of Forretress as it can still keep my theme of hazard stacking with Toxic Spikes while also dealing with Fairies like Clefable and Primarina. One good thing about Tentacruel is that I don't have to worry if my opponent has a Azumarill which is a big boon. Since I am weak to Dragon type attacks, I added Clefable to deal with them. It is one of the best Pokemon in UU and the Life Orb set it pretty neat to lure in threats like Scizor, Forretress, and Gliscor.

In-Depth Analysis

Blaze (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Grass Knot

So I decided on Nasty Plot Infernape as it is not locked in a single move like Choice Band or Choice Scarf and it can get past Physically Defensive Pokemons unlike the Swords Dance set. This is my team's wallbreaker or sweeper depending on the matchup. Nasty Plot turns Infernape in an potent offensive threat. Fire Blast is my primary stab and gains a boost through Blaze. Vacuum Wave is chosen over Focus Blast since it can prevents Pokemon from revenge killing it like Hydreigon, Krookodile and do not have to rely on speed tie with opposing base 108 Pokemons like Cobalion, and you all know why I would not prefer to use Focus Blast. Grass Knot is great as Infernape lures Hippowdon, Swampert and Suicune and kill them with Grass Knot.

Kraken (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Tentacruel's solid typing and Special Defense lets it check Primarina, Keldeo and Scizor and reliably set and remove hazards, it provides immense utility for my team. Toxic Spikes is great against defensive teams and spinners are annoyed when they switch in it. Scald provides good utility with a chance to burn Physical attackers. Acid Spray is great for defeating Primarina and Clefable. I am using a Specially Defensive set to tank hits from Primarina more consistently.

Medusa (Hydreigon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse

- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Hydreigon is my team's late game cleaner and revenge killer. It is also great for switching in on predicted Psychic and Ground-type attacks, and walls Volcanion. Not much to say about the moves. U-turn is useful for offensive pivoting.

Sapphire (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Swampert is a great utility Pokemon for the team while also strengthening the team's defensive backbone. It is a reliable hazard setter due to it's good bulk. Scald is useful like always for fishing for burns. Earthquake hits Electric types which is pretty useful. Roar is great against setup sweepers and for accumulating Stealth Rocks damage. Maximum Defense for taking Physical hits better.

Night Fury (Aerodactyl-Mega) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack

Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl is my favourite because it is such a potent sweeper and can easily get a setup opportunity. It can sweep after Infernape has taken big chunk from the opposition. They work quite well as they hit both ends of the spectrum. Stone Edge is the primary stab as it hits very hard due to Mega Aerodactyl's good offense stats. We all know how frustrating a Stone Edge miss can be but Hone Claws makes Stone Edge perfectly accurate:v4:
, but you guys already know that. Earthquake has great coverage as it allows Aerodactyl to break through Steel-types such as Cobalion, Magneton and Empoleon. Wing Attack is another stab which hits Fighting and Grass types super effectively, such as Keldeo, while also benefits from Tough Claws boost. Mega Aerodactyl is great as it allows me to sweep past offensive builds.

Pixie (Clefable) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled

Shoutout to Sacri' for this Clefable set. This set is great for luring, as people won't expect Ice Beam if they see Flamethrower, and Vice-versa. Moonblast is the standard stab and hits Dragon and Dark types. Flamethrower is for Steel types like Scizor and Forretress, and Ice Beam OHKOes Gliscor. Magic Guard prevents Life Orb recoil which is cool. This set is weak to Knock Off though.

Conclusion

So this is a pretty simple team, but it is quite fun to use. But there are obviously flaws in it. That's why I need your help to fix it. I don't think it is extremely weak to a single Pokemon, but it maybe weak to some archetypes like Stall(but Toxic Spikes most of the times handle those builds). Any constructive criticism are appreciated.

Blaze (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Grass Knot

Kraken (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Medusa (Hydreigon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Sapphire (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Night Fury (Aerodactyl-Mega) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack

Pixie (Clefable) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yo nice RMT, very well structured and I like the approach you took with the team.

ORIGINAL TEAM:
NP Infernape/HC Aerodactyl/Rocks Swampert/SpDef Tentacruel/Scarf Hydreigon/LO+3Attacks Clefable

I honestly think you don't need to make much changes to this team in order to function better. Here is just a few recommendations:
  • Infernape really appreciates Latias removed which is also big threat to your team: LO offensive Clefable is unfortunately 2HKOed by Psyshock after just a little bit of prior damage (5% or so) and while you do have revenge killing options in Aero and Hydreigon, switching into Draco Metor and Psyshock is rather difficult for the team.
    --> See into running a more bulky Clefable with CM>Ice Beam + Pursuit over Hone Claws on Aerodactyl. More bulk on Clefable helps it to act as a blanket soft check to a lot of mons and relieves pressure from the defensive Water type core. The latter also helps with Alakazam and Gengar, both of which are immune to/resist Vaccuum Wave from Infernape. However, loosing Ice Beam on Clefable does worsen your match-up versus Gliscor which is why i also went with Ice Fang over EQ on Aerodactyl.
  • This one is just a minor nitpick but the Tentacruel spread needs a little improvement in my opinion. Tentacruel should always outspeed max Speed base 70s like Volcanion and Bisharp from my experience + you don't need max SpDef in order to check Primarina and Keldeo (also Secret Sword exists and Psychic blows Tentacruel back anyway).
    --> A spread of 232 HP / 72 Def / 96 SpD / 108 Spe gives you enough speed for both of them. The HP hit the last Leftover point at 352 like your spread did but in general you want as much HP as possible in order to check both the physical and special threats better. 359 HP reduces Spikes and Stealth Rock damage while 96 spdef hits a neat jump point with the rest in defense.
  • Something fancy I tried out on this team is Babiri Berry on Clefable. Since the team revolves around an Infernape sweep you don't really want to throw it into all the Scizor and Bisharp which are roaming the tier. With Flamethrower Clefable already has the option to lure both of them but Babiri Berry allows for more reckless play with it early on, so that the pressure on checking them can be relieved from Infernape, more focusing on its offensive capabilities. Also since Clefable is your only Dragon switch-in, you now have a neat answer to possible steel coverage from Hydreigon and Haxorus.
  • Lastly, now that Aero is no longer HC I would honestly consider changing Infernape to a SD variant. This is a bit of a bummer since you built the team around NP Infernape but I honestly don't see another way to better pressure fat special walls without changing members and therefore opening up other holes. Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Mach Punch/SD equipped with a Fightinium Z is the set that I messed around with and it did well.
Infernape (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Aerodactyl-Mega (M) @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 96 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Clefable (F) @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 8 SpA / 56 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
Replay#1: Showcases the effectiveness of Ice Fang Aerodactyl :^)
Replay#2: Showcases SD Infernape + Babiri Berry Clefable. Should have gotten up Rocks at some point so that Infernape would have just swept (+2 Mach Punch is a roll on Hydreigon).

Last edited:

AbrarWasee

formerly Train All
Yo nice RMT, very well structured and I like the approach you took with the team.

ORIGINAL TEAM:
NP Infernape/HC Aerodactyl/Rocks Swampert/SpDef Tentacruel/Scarf Hydreigon/LO+3Attacks Clefable

I honestly think you don't need to make much changes to this team in order to function better. Here is just a few recommendations:
  • Infernape really appreciates Latias removed which is also big threat to your team: LO offensive Clefable is unfortunately 2HKOed by Psyshock after just a little bit of prior damage (5% or so) and while you do have revenge killing options in Aero and Hydreigon, switching into Draco Metor and Psyshock is rather difficult for the team.
    --> See into running a more bulky Clefable with CM>Ice Beam + Pursuit over Hone Claws on Aerodactyl. More bulk on Clefable helps it to act as a blanket soft check to a lot of mons and relieves pressure from the defensive Water type core. The latter also helps with Alakazam and Gengar, both of which are immune to/resist Vaccuum Wave from Infernape. However, loosing Ice Beam on Clefable does worsen your match-up versus Gliscor which is why i also went with Ice Fang over EQ on Aerodactyl.
  • This one is just a minor nitpick but the Tentacruel spread needs a little improvement in my opinion. Tentacruel should always outspeed max Speed base 70s like Volcanion and Bisharp from my experience + you don't need max SpDef in order to check Primarina and Keldeo (also Secret Sword exists and Psychic blows Tentacruel back anyway).
    --> A spread of 232 HP / 72 Def / 96 SpD / 108 Spe gives you enough speed for both of them. The HP hit the last Leftover point at 352 like your spread did but in general you want as much HP as possible in order to check both the physical and special threats better. 359 HP reduces Spikes and Stealth Rock damage while 96 spdef hits a neat jump point with the rest in defense.
  • Something fancy I tried out on this team is Babiri Berry on Clefable. Since the team revolves around an Infernape sweep you don't really want to throw it into all the Scizor and Bisharp which are roaming the tier. With Flamethrower Clefable already has the option to lure both of them but Babiri Berry allows for more reckless play with it early on, so that the pressure on checking them can be relieved from Infernape, more focusing on its offensive capabilities. Also since Clefable is your only Dragon switch-in, you now have a neat answer to possible steel coverage from Hydreigon and Haxorus.
  • Lastly, now that Aero is no longer HC I would honestly consider changing Infernape to a SD variant. This is a bit of a bummer since you built the team around NP Infernape but I honestly don't see another way to better pressure fat special walls without changing members and therefore opening up other holes. Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Mach Punch/SD equipped with a Fightinium Z is the set that I messed around with and it did well.
Infernape (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Aerodactyl-Mega (M) @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 96 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Clefable (F) @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 8 SpA / 56 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
Replay#1: Showcases the effectiveness of Ice Fang Aerodactyl :^)
Replay#2: Showcases SD Infernape + Babiri Berry Clefable. Should have gotten up Rocks at some point so that Infernape would have just swept (+2 Mach Punch is a roll on Hydreigon).
Hey man! Thanks for the cool suggestions. I'll be sure to try them out. I was not sure about the Tentacruel set, so thanks for pointing it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)