Bloody Trapland!

Bloody Trapland!​

Hi everyone,

The team i've previously been posting hasn't worked out very well, so i decided to make another team, which might look a little surprising when you take a closer look. Anyways, enjoy, comment and rate, I'd like to here your opinions :D

Changes will be adressed in Orange.

.:: The Team at a Glance ::.

Teambuilding process:

The whole idea started with Luxray.
Somebody was complaining about his stats and movepool, and at first I totally agreed with him. Looking at his base speed stat, which is 70, is quite bad.
Then I remembered someone using Scarf Emboar, which was surprisingly fast and could outspeed and OHKO Liepard and Cinccino.
That's why i'm using Scarf Luxray, it outspeeds a very big part of the metagame, and together with its reasonable Attack stat it serves as a good revenge killer.

Looking over the NU tier, my eye fell on a good old buddy of mine; Meganium.
This poke has always been one of my favorites and it can serve as a wall from both defensive sides.
Also with Leech Seed and Toxic it could force out an amount of pokemon, giving me a chance to double switch into something else.
For me, it worked out very well with its reasonable defense stats.
It could take quite an amount of hits, and is most of the time my safe switch.
Its bulk has saved me alot of times, and it became a crucial part of this team.

At this moment I was looking for a special attacker.
The first pokemon that caught my attention was Octillery.
It has an affordable SpA stat, and a good movepool, so it would make a good sweeper.
It could hit most of the pokemon with a super effective move, because of its good movepool, and so Octillery earned a spot on the team.

After testing this team for a while, it just seemed that Octillery wasn't good enough.
He was too slow, and he most of the time didn't last longer than two turns.
I needed something that could outspeed a part of the tier, and also with a decent SpA stat.
Simisear was the solution. With preferable base stats in both Attack as in Speed I decided to give it a try.
Also, he didn't have a bad movepool so that meant that I was able to take out some pokemon.
After some more testing it really was better than I expected, so I chose him over Octillery.

I decided to put one more sweeper on the team, and Fraxure was my first choice.
I find this a underrated pokemon, it doesn't have a bad movepool, and it can do quite an amount of damage.
So yeah, not very much else to add on this one :)

So i'm looking for two more bulky pokes, a defensive and a specially defensive one.
Since Mantine is on of the best specially defensive pokemon in the NU tier, I decided to give it a try.
When I tested it, it came out very handy when one of my sweepers got in danger by a special attacking pokemon, it can take a big amount of special attacks that are not electric, and it can throw pokemon that try to set up in the garbage, by Hazing their changes away.

The last but not least addition to my team; Miltank, who serves as the physical wall.
The name says it, this poke is a tank.
This thing doesn't carry Thick Fat, but Sap Sipper instead. Why? Because I was getting tired of getting swept by teams with Amoonguss or Butterfree cores.
Sap Sipper lets this pokemon take on these threats and it has been rocking so far.
This is also my SR'er, as Physical offensive pokemon have nothing to say against Miltank.

.:: A Closer Look ::.

Hi There (Luxray) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk | 252 Spd | 4 HP
Jolly Nature
Crunch | Superpower | Wild Charge | Ice Fang

So as described in the Teambuilding process, this thing outspeeds a big part of the tier due to the Choice Scarf.
This is why I run an Intimidate Luxray, and not Guts, since I won't be carrying Toxic / Flame Orb.
I had to run Jolly Nature full Speed for obvious reasons, speeding pokemon out.
The Superpower is enough to take out Liepard or Cinccino in one shot, so that won't be a problem anymore :)
The other moves for coverages and revenge killing, you know the drill.
I'm still struggling though, I don't know whether I should run Ice Fang or something else, leave a comment with your thoughts!

Megane (Meganium) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP | 232 Def | 24 SDef
Calm Nature
Aromatherapy | Leech Seed | Giga Drain | Toxic

So here's the pokemon that I mostly use for safe switching, since it has reasonable defense stats.
Maximized HP for the bulk and the defensive EV's for obvious reasons.
Aromatherapy in case there is hax going on in your team, there is also a replacement for this; Miltank Heal Bell.
Further on Leech Seed for annoyance and Toxic for possible stalling.

Monkey (Simisear) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Flamethrower | Overheat | Grass Knot | Focus Blast

My main Special attacking sweeper, Timid Nature Full speed to outspeed pokemons and.. Choice Specs?
Yup, this makes up for the Jolly nature, so it can take out a lot of pokemon.
Flamethrower for a strong STAB against Ice/Grass/Steel/Bug pokemon, and Grass Knot and Focus Blast for some more coverage.
I'm not sure if I should use Overheat,
tell me if there's something else!

Fish (Mantine) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SDef
Calm Nature
Toxic | Surf | Tailwind | Haze

The SDefensive wall of the team, with a SDefense of 416. Takes SAttacks like a boss, and can then continue with using it's moves.
Maximized HP and SDefense for the Bulk, it pretty much takes everything but Electric types.
If you have a pokemon that sets up like Gorebyss against you, just Haze the stat boosts away, it can come in quite handy :)
This thing also carries Toxic for possible stalling, and Tailwind to make the team a little bit more faster :D

Fracture (Fraxure) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk | 252 Spd | 4 HP
Jolly Nature
Outrage | Aqua Tail | X-Scissor | Night Slash

This team doesn't have the word 'Trapland' in it's name for nothing, in case you haven't noticed it yet, all my sweepers hold a Choice item.
It works really well, or at least on this pokemon. It can serve either as a revenge killer or just a Fast Sweeper, just like Simisear and Luxray.
Well, the EV's are obvious, maximized Spd and Atk.
Outrage for the strong STAB move, Aqua Tail, X-Scissor and Night Slash all for the coverage.
Is there something else I should give this over Night Slash? Tell me!

Milktank (Miltank) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SDef
Impish Nature
Body Slam | Heal Bell | Milk Drink | Stealth Rock

Here's my Physical wall, who also sets up my Rocks.
Of course, as always with a wall, maximized HP and Defense.
Sap Sipper is a very useful ability, I use this pokemon to counter Amoonguss and Butterfree, as they try to Spore or Sleep Powder.
These moves won't affect Miltank and instead it gets an +1 attack boost.
Milk Drink to restore HP, Heal Bell against the hax and Stealth Rock, ugh, why am I even bothering to tell you >.>

Threats:

Emboar -
:
The slow versions of these don't make a problem at all.
The Scarfed versions though can do quite some damage to the team, as my Luxray, who still outspeeds it, simply has nothing to KO it before he does the opposite.
If you come across these, I'd suggest you to lock him into something else than Wild Charge, and then switch into Mantine.
It's tricky, but still possible!

Rotom Refridgerator -
:
These can potentially be a threat since they can either hit me with STAB Thunderbolt or STAB Blizzard.
I'd say that if he's not scarfed, you simply revenge kill it with Simisear.
If he is scarfed, I would lock him into Blizzard or Thunderbolt, and then go for the safe switch into Meganium/Miltank/Mantine.

Eelektross -
:
This thing might mean danger since it can learn lots of different moves, providing more coverage.
You can always revenge kill it with Simisear's Overheat, but that means your gonna have to sack something.
Also if you play Meganium in a right way, you should be able to take him out.

Conclusion

So that's it guys, my NU team. I hope you guys enjoyed, leave a rate and give me some advice to improve this team! So far it's been working out great so if it could become any better that would be great :)

Hi There (Luxray) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang

Milktank (Miltank) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

Megane (Meganium) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SDef
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Toxic

Fish (Mantine) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Surf
- Tailwind
- Haze

Monkey (Simisear) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Fracture (Fraxure) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash

hi, firstly, this looks like one solid balanced team, secondly, there are some changes that MIGHT (DON'T FREAK OUT IF THEY SOUND CRAZY) make the team better. firstly, you have only one special sweeper, and it is pretty frail, so if he is down, you will have problems with physical walls (mainly tangela, fraxure can't do much and luxray's ice fang is too low in power to actually do any thing) so perhaps a more bulky special sweeper would do. secondly, fraxure does alot of damage, but not just enugh. since mantine has tailwind, fraxure can come in on a predicted move and dragon dance, then sweep, it's good on paper and it's nice to give it a shot. thirdly and obviously, you would defenitely like to change miltank's nature to impish (+def,-spatck) since bold (+def,-atk) lowers your body slam's power. other than that, your team is awesome.

I just wanted to say that in Simisear's description, you say he has a Jolly nature, yet his nature in the bio is Timid. Probably a typo, but I just wanted to point that out. Also, I agree Impish over Bold on Miltank so you don't lose out on Attack. While changing Fraxure to a DD set looks nice, I feel that Simisear alone still doesn't give enough special offense. Therefore, I suggest replacing what you consider to be the weakest link, which looks like Fraxure, with either Gardevoir or Kadabra. Both are powerful special sweepers, and can ease your problems with physical walls incase Simisear goes down. Seeing as how you already have 2 choice users, I suggest these sets:

Gardevoir@Life Orb
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 SpDef
Calm Mind
Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball

Kadabra@Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 SpDef
Psychic
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting
Sub/Calm Mind

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey there,

this team needs a lot of work before it will be consistently effective. i'm going to try to help you patch up some of the flaws in your teambuilding before working out the actual weaknesses of the team itself, since otherwise i would have to essentially rebuild your team from scratch. firstly, you have a ton of unnecessary repetition, and when you're using suboptimal pokemon this is really quite a bad thing. you don't need two scarfers on what looks to be a balanced team, as being locked into moves with mediocre neutral coverage will hurt you more than it helps. you also don't need both heal bell and aromatherapy, one will suffice. i... don't even understand how tailwind on mantine is useful.

physically defensive meganium is directly outclassed by tangela and amoonguss, the former with much better physical bulk and the latter with better typing and utility. either one would be a much better option over your current meganium, especially since miltank can also carry heal bell for both of them. i will suggest amoonguss, since you would appreciate a strong fighting resistance since you're currently decimated by cb sawk, but keep in mind both will work. scarf luxray is very mediocre and lacks power. you're working off of a base 120 attack stat, yes, but its STAB and coverage moves are all very easily taken advantage of. you will have a very difficult time trying to beat any decent player using a standard defensive core, since you're locked into every attack and they can just switch into something that resists said attack. scarf luxray also lacks speed which is an enormous issue - you will be unable to revenge just about everything that has a boost, like shell smash gorebyss. you can use your own scarf rotom-f in place, which helps you check cinccino, opposing rotom-f, gorebyss, samurott, etc while also being able to help you break down defensive cores via trick.

scarf fraxure also has similar issues. it's better off given the fact that not much can take advantage of you being locked into dragon claw or outrage, but now that fraxure has actual coverage i can't even think of a good reason why you shouldn't use dd fraxure instead. dd + taunt fraxure over your current set does exactly what you want it to do, with the ability to set up. note that x-scissor and night slash provide no actual additional coverage that you don't already achieve with outrage + low kick. you should also replace tailwind with air slash on mantine, since tailwind actually accomplishes very little in practice and air slash at least lets you beat ludicolo (yet another pokemon that this team struggles with).

air slash > tailwind on mantine
amoonguss > meganium
amoonguss @ rocky helmet | regenerator
bold nature (+def, -atk) | 252 hp / 252 def / 4 spdef
spore / giga drain / sludge bomb / synthesis or stun spore​
scarf rotom-f > luxray
rotom-frost @ choice scarf | levitate
timid nature (+spe, -atk) | 4 def / 252 spatk / 252 spe
volt switch / hidden power ice / trick / thunderbolt or blizzard​
taunt + dd fraxure > scarf fraxure
fraxure @ life orb | mold breaker
jolly nature (+spe, -spatk) | 4 hp / 252 atk / 252 spe
dragon dance / taunt / outrage / low kick or aqua tail​

Hey there everyone, i appreciate all your feedbacks and helpful tips, but i dont use this team anymore since is downright useless. ill be sure to test my next rmt to the fullest before posting it. Once again thanks for your time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)