Boosted B@st@rds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I hear ya. But what would you rather have for a sweeper? Coverage or recovery?
In Kangaskhan's case, recovery. Even with speed boosts from Scolipede, he's not super fast, so he IS going to take some hits. And absent Scolipede, he's slow as shit. Having a reliable form of recovery (and a fighting move more powerful that Power-Up Punch) gives him a lot more versatility. He can not only be used as a sweeper (which is his main purpose), but also as a back-up wall due to his bulkiness.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of scolipede on your team? even though they have very different ypings, I think scolipede is overshadowed by blaziken as a speed boost baton passer, as Blaziken is less weak to hazards and more offensive. I see that scolipede has been on your team from the beginning, and so I don't know if you want to change it.

If you are willing to, I would go for a speed boost baton pass blaziken instead.

Blaziken @ Charcoal/Life Orb
Speed Boost
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Swords dance
Baton pass
Hi Jump Kick
Flare blitz

I understand you are running a defensive scolipede, but I don't think it is really bulky enough, and would suggest you go offensive.

Or, if you want to keep scolipede, one major thing it has over Blaziken is spikes- so if you can incorporate that somewhere in its moveset- I would get rid of protect- it would be improved.

Edit: Also, I'm iffy on your current scolipede item. what is the point of running sash AND full defensive Evs? This isn't ninjask- If you want to run sash then go for some offense.

What is the purpose of scolipede on your team? even though they have very different ypings, I think scolipede is overshadowed by blaziken as a speed boost baton passer, as Blaziken is less weak to hazards and more offensive. I see that scolipede has been on your team from the beginning, and so I don't know if you want to change it.

If you are willing to, I would go for a speed boost baton pass blaziken instead.

Blaziken @ Charcoal/Life Orb
Speed Boost
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Swords dance
Baton pass
Hi Jump Kick
Flare blitz

I understand you are running a defensive scolipede, but I don't think it is really bulky enough, and would suggest you go offensive.

Or, if you want to keep scolipede, one major thing it has over Blaziken is spikes- so if you can incorporate that somewhere in its moveset- I would get rid of protect- it would be improved.

Edit: Also, I'm iffy on your current scolipede item. what is the point of running sash AND full defensive Evs? This isn't ninjask- If you want to run sash then go for some offense.
Scolipede has performed a lot better than I thought he would when I was originally creating the team. Part of the reason is his "surprise factor", that is, that he is rarely considered a threat by other teams. When he is in, my opponents often take time do set up things like hazards (which are easily avoided and removed by Skarmory's Defog, who hits pretty damn hard after a +3x Atk/+2.5x Spd boost), or try to just whittle it down slowly. I've found Scolipede's Protect invaluable as well as a Baton Passer, so if I ran Blaziken I'd have to go Flare Blitz/Protect/Swords Dance/Baton Pass. I don't like recoil moves on my Baton Passer as they can hinder their ability to attack/pass if they get whittled down too far, so I'd probably run Blazing Kick instead of Flare Blitz as well. Lastly, my Baton Passer is not there for offense, he's primarily there to build up boosts and pass them on to everyone else; defensive moveset, defensive EV spread, and Focus Sash allow Scolipede to do this very effectively. The Focus Sash prevents him from getting OHKO'd by some super effective or special attack if I predict wrong and use Swords Dance instead of Protect when I think the opponent is going build up/switch out. It's saved my ass many times, and I can't really think of a better item to put on Scolipede that would make him more effective.

Another issue is that Blaziken adds yet another weakness to Rotom-W to my team, who already checks Greninja and Skarmory with Volt Switch, and Dragonite/Kangaskhan with Will-O-Wisp. If Rotom-W weren't so common, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but unfrtunately... it is.

I will definitely try out Blaziken though and see what I think. I've been hesitant to do it so far because I'm just waiting for him to be banned back to Ubers where he belongs, and when that time comes, I don't want to rework my whole team (frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already).

Scolipede has performed a lot better than I thought he would when I was originally creating the team. Part of the reason is his "surprise factor", that is, that he is rarely considered a threat by other teams. When he is in, my opponents often take time do set up things like hazards (which are easily avoided and removed by Skarmory's Defog, who hits pretty damn hard after a +3x Atk/+2.5x Spd boost), or try to just whittle it down slowly. I've found Scolipede's Protect invaluable as well as a Baton Passer, so if I ran Blaziken I'd have to go Flare Blitz/Protect/Swords Dance/Baton Pass. I don't like recoil moves on my Baton Passer as they can hinder their ability to attack/pass if they get whittled down too far, so I'd probably run Blazing Kick instead of Flare Blitz as well. Lastly, my Baton Passer is not there for offense, he's primarily there to build up boosts and pass them on to everyone else; defensive moveset, defensive EV spread, and Focus Sash allow him Scolipede to do this very effectively. The Focus Sash prevents him from getting OHKO'd by some super effective or special attack if I predict wrong and use Swords Dance instead of Protect when I think the opponent is going build up/switch out. It's saved my ass many times, and I can't really think of a better item to put on Scolipede that would make him more effective.

Another issue is that Blaziken adds yet another weakness to Rotom-W to my team, who already checks Greninja and Skarmory with Volt Switch, and Dragonite/Kangaskhan with Will-O-Wisp. If Rotom-W weren't so common, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but unfrtunately... it is.

I will definitely try out Blaziken though and see what I think. I've been hesitant to do it so far because I'm just waiting for him to be banned back to Ubers where he belongs, and when that time comes, I don't want to rework my whole team (frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already).
All right, this is why things in paper are different from in practice. To answer about Blaziken's banning, all the X and Y tiering stuff is supposed to be done in February, so the Meta can get set from what I have heard.

what i really dont like is dragonite, he is walled to death by skarmory,trevenant,gorgeist among others and he can get burned preety easily by rotow-w who can take alot of extremespeeds unless you have alot of dragon dances.

All right, this is why things in paper are different from in practice. To answer about Blaziken's banning, all the X and Y tiering stuff is supposed to be done in February, so the Meta can get set from what I have heard.
Thanks, I didn't know the schedule. I'm anxiously awaiting not having to deal with Mega-Blaziken anymore lol.

what i really dont like is dragonite, he is walled to death by skarmory,trevenant,gorgeist among others and he can get burned preety easily by rotow-w who can take alot of extremespeeds unless you have alot of dragon dances.
Skarmory isn't really an issue, because he presents no threat to Dragonite (I can endlessly wall him with Roost). If my opponent is going to take the time to try and wall me with Skarmory, I can use the opportunity to Dragon Dance my Attack and Speeds Stats to the max. The only exception is if Skarmory is carrying Toxic. Regardless, my team does a good job of checking Skarmory with Rotom-W and Kangaskhan's Fire Punch. Trevenant and Gorgeist fall to boosted Earthquake, Kangaskhan's Fire Punch, or Greninja's Dark Pulse. Rotom-W does present somewhat of a problem to this team, but can usually be taken out with boosted Extreme Speeds/Drain Punches/Stealth Rock damage (Rotom switches in and out often).

I am considering switching Dragonite's Roost to something else, maybe Ice Punch, Dragon Claw, or Dragon Tail (although I would miss the recovery in situations where he takes a small amount of damage switching in, rendering Multiscale useless).

Thanks, I didn't know the schedule. I'm anxiously awaiting not having to deal with Mega-Blaziken anymore lol.

Skarmory isn't really an issue, because he presents no threat to Dragonite (I can endlessly wall him with Roost). If my opponent is going to take the time to try and wall me with Skarmory, I can use the opportunity to Dragon Dance my Attack and Speeds Stats to the max. The only exception is if Skarmory is carrying Toxic. Regardless, my team does a good job of checking Skarmory with Rotom-W and Kangaskhan's Fire Punch. Trevenant and Gorgeist fall to boosted Earthquake, Kangaskhan's Fire Punch, or Greninja's Dark Pulse. Rotom-W does present somewhat of a problem to this team, but can usually be taken out with boosted Extreme Speeds/Drain Punches/Stealth Rock damage (Rotom switches in and out often).

I am considering switching Dragonite's Roost to something else, maybe Ice Punch, Dragon Claw, or Dragon Tail (although I would miss the recovery in situations where he takes a small amount of damage switching in, rendering Multiscale useless).
dont most skarmorys carry stealth rock and whirldwind? how can you beat a skarmory with extremespeed when he can just wirldwind you out?

even if they have defog over whirldwind skarmory can wall you to death since an adamant dragonite with max atack and +6 atack can only do ExtremeSpeed: 44.03 - 51.98% with leftovers you cant even 2ko skarmory at plus 6 and he can just roost off the damage like it was nothing and with 8 pp on extremespeed its not like you will do too much stall.

dont most skarmorys carry stealth rock and whirldwind? how can you beat a skarmory with extremespeed when he can just wirldwind you out?

even if they have defog over whirldwind skarmory can wall you to death since an adamant dragonite with max atack and +6 atack can only do ExtremeSpeed: 44.03 - 51.98% with leftovers you cant even 2ko skarmory at plus 6 and he can just roost off the damage like it was nothing and with 8 pp on extremespeed its not like you will do too much stall.
He has Rotom and a specially based Greninja on his team for a reason. They both hit Skarm hard and im pretty sure he is smart enough to get rid of/weaken said Skarm before he starts a sweep with D-nite.

He has Rotom and a specially based Greninja on his team for a reason. They both hit Skarm hard and im pretty sure he is smart enough to get rid of/weaken said Skarm before he starts a sweep with D-nite.
i just said that because any skarmory can switch in into his dragonite fearing nothing, its a free switch in to wirldwind or defog oe even set up stealth rocks

Wait...how are you going to get extreme speed on dragonite?
Extreme Speed Dratini from joining the Dragon Clan in HG/SS (or whatever the plot is that gets you there). Infared it to Gen V and then Pokebank it to Gen VI.

Question is: Can you breedpass the Extreme Speed? Because if not, then you'll be hard pressed to get Extreme Speed AND Multiscale.

Extreme Speed Dratini from joining the Dragon Clan in HG/SS (or whatever the plot is that gets you there). Infared it to Gen V and then Pokebank it to Gen VI.

Question is: Can you breedpass the Extreme Speed? Because if not, then you'll be hard pressed to get Extreme Speed AND Multiscale.
That is the question. Here's hoping yes.

Extreme Speed was a dratini egg move in gen 5, so I'm leaning towards a yes. All you would have to do is transfer the dratini from HGSS to BW/BW2 to Pokebank to XY and breed a male extreme speed dratini with a female multiscale dratini until you get a female multiscale extremespeed, then finish breeding all the ivs

Extreme Speed was a dratini egg move in gen 5, so I'm leaning towards a yes. All you would have to do is transfer the dratini from HGSS to BW/BW2 to Pokebank to XY and breed.
Oh, it was an Egg Move? Choice! As! Fuck! And I don't even use the adorable pudgy yellow derpball. But yeah, this is Pokebank, so you're golden, dude.

Oh, it was an Egg Move? Choice! As! Fuck! And I don't even use the adorable pudgy yellow derpball. But yeah, this is Pokebank, so you're golden, dude.
I've never bred it myself (nor attempted), but the serebii site says it is a gen V egg move.

One of the most difficult parts about this team for me is going to be breeding them all in-game once Pokebank launches. Although I understand general breeding, I've never dipped my toes into competitive breeding before.

Also, I just added a "What I Still Need Help With" section to the OP, so if you can assist with any of the stuff mentioned there, that would be great!

One of the most difficult parts about this team for me is going to be breeding them all in-game once Pokebank launches. Although I understand general breeding, I've never dipped my toes into competitive breeding before.

Also, I just added a "What I Still Need Help With" section to the OP, so if you can assist with any of the stuff mentioned there, that would be great!
Catch 6 Dittos, all with at LEAST the stat you need. Give the Ditto the Power Item relating to the stat and then give a Destiny Knot to your main Pokemon (caught from the Friend Safari if possible, even if you don't want the Hidden Ability), keep repeating until you get a Pokemon better than the parent, replacing it as you do so. If you have a Hidden Ability, save the best in the box, even if the parent isn't of the Hidden Ability (though shoot for the parent having the Hidden Ability if possible), replace Dittos as you start gaining the stats the Ditto gives, repeat until your Pokemon is perfect in every stat that matters. If the Nature does not match, get the best child with that nature out of the previous batches with an opposite gender and give it an Everstone, keeping the Destiny Knot on the +5 Parent. If the female doesn't have the Hidden Ability, after you get the Nature, make sure it's a male and then breed with the best female with the nature that has the Hidden Ability, keeping the Everstone on the Natured parent and the Destiny Knot on the Hidden Ability parent.

It only took me a day to get my Gengar (an ENTIRE day, but only a day nonetheless).

Catch 6 Dittos, all with at LEAST the stat you need. Give the Ditto the Power Item relating to the stat and then give a Destiny Knot to your main Pokemon (caught from the Friend Safari if possible, even if you don't want the Hidden Ability), keep repeating until you get a Pokemon better than the parent, replacing it as you do so. If you have a Hidden Ability, save the best in the box, even if the parent isn't of the Hidden Ability (though shoot for the parent having the Hidden Ability if possible), replace Dittos as you start gaining the stats the Ditto gives, repeat until your Pokemon is perfect in every stat that matters. If the Nature does not match, get the best child with that nature out of the previous batches with an opposite gender and give it an Everstone, keeping the Destiny Knot on the +5 Parent. If the female doesn't have the Hidden Ability, after you get the Nature, make sure it's a male and then breed with the best female with the nature that has the Hidden Ability, keeping the Everstone on the Natured parent and the Destiny Knot on the Hidden Ability parent.

It only took me a day to get my Gengar (an ENTIRE day, but only a day nonetheless).
That part of it (stats, abilities), I understand. I'm struggling more with how to get specific moves onto specific Pokemon (like Extremespeed onto Dragonite, as mentioned above), especially when there's a long chain of things to be done.

So, Welsknight, you asked me to come and give your team a looking over, and a rate, so here I am, although I tend to go more for the teams where there's a lot that can be said. Yours strikes me as a tested and well put together team, particularly after a fair bit of discussion on it has already been had. But, I'll do my best to add my two cents worth, if nothing more, even if it's not an epic like the last couple of rates you saw me make! I namely say this, because there's not a whole lot to say, as it should work exceptionally well, at a first glance.

Firstly, you ask a few times for some pointers regarding Rotom-W. In terms of his use, he looks like he'd make a great lead for your team in places where suicide sweeping with Dragonite isn't the best option; Send him out first against Smeargle leads, absorb the spore with Chesto Berry and break his sash with a first-turn Volt Switch out to Dragonite or Greninja who can Priority/Outspeed in order to remove the opponent's Hazard setter immediately or force a switch.

I'd like to return to the suggestion someone made earlier on of taking Blaziken over Scollipede. But, I'd be suggesting a slightly different set to earlier:

Blaziken@Focus Sash
Jolly w/ Speed Boost
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Baton Pass - Protect - Swords Dance - Toxic/Will-o-wisp/STAB option/Earthquake

Basically this does the same as Scollipede with a bit less bulk, but has one other important function - He's Will-o-wisp immune. What this means is that you can shield the rest of your team from a Will-o-wisp, which is an issue you've identified, by switching and always Baton Pass away 1-2 Speed Boosts by carrying Protect, or a Swords Dance. Status is a more viable option than at first glance, as it lets you cripple and force out most Phazers (except Skarmory, if you use Toxic) who will often have to switch out after they've Phazed Blaziken away, depending on what get's dragged out. There's always still the option to run a STAB move too, or the un-STAB'd Earthquake, just off of a higher base attack than Scollipede. You're right in that offensive threat doesn't need to come from your Baton Passer.

Oh, and a final thing about Dragonite; an option to consider over Earthquake is the often overlooked BW2 Tutor Move Aqua Tail - its' slightly less accurate, and won't get SE against Steels, but it'll hit Ghost, Steel and Rock which are resistant to Extremespeed, and isn't bypassed by Fliers/Levitators.

EDIT: edited out the EV spread for Rotom, and the Extremespeed discussion on Dragonite; I made a couple of oversights.

Last edited:
28 SpA does not OHKO gliscor w/ the nerf to hydro pump. You need 120 evs to guarantee the OHKO, but Rotom Wash is much better going all defense.

Extremespeed isn't listed as an egg move this gen because there is no way to test it yet. It probably will be a egg move, because it was last gen

28 SpA does not OHKO gliscor w/ the nerf to hydro pump. You need 120 evs to guarantee the OHKO, but Rotom Wash is much better going all defense.

Extremespeed isn't listed as an egg move this gen because there is no way to test it yet. It probably will be a egg move, because it was last gen
My guess is he wasn't aware of the nerf. I completely forgot about it myself, too, ngl. And yeah, we don't know any egg moves via data checking yet because nobody but the legendary leaker has been able to crack the game, yet.

My guess is he wasn't aware of the nerf. I completely forgot about it myself, too, ngl. And yeah, we don't know any egg moves via data checking yet because nobody but the legendary leaker has been able to crack the game, yet.
Ah yes; I was aware, I'm just still getting it in to my mind, and had forgotten - I still tend to regard the sets listed on the old Strategy Dex as fairly reliable and working sets, so it didn't cross my mind that Hydro Pump had changed. Same for Extremespeed, hadn't thought too hard about why it wasn't listed. Thanks for both of those.

EDIT: I'll edit that out, above.

Last edited:
So, Welsknight, you asked me to come and give your team a looking over, and a rate, so here I am, although I tend to go more for the teams where there's a lot that can be said. Yours strikes me as a tested and well put together team, particularly after a fair bit of discussion on it has already been had. But, I'll do my best to add my two cents worth, if nothing more, even if it's not an epic like the last couple of rates you saw me make! I namely say this, because there's not a whole lot to say, as it should work exceptionally well, at a first glance.

Firstly, you ask a few times for some pointers regarding Rotom-W. In terms of his use, he looks like he'd make a great lead for your team in places where suicide sweeping with Dragonite isn't the best option; Send him out first against Smeargle leads, absorb the spore with Chesto Berry and break his sash with a first-turn Volt Switch out to Dragonite or Greninja who can Priority/Outspeed in order to remove the opponent's Hazard setter immediately or force a switch.

I'd like to return to the suggestion someone made earlier on of taking Blaziken over Scollipede. But, I'd be suggesting a slightly different set to earlier:

Blaziken@Focus Sash
Jolly w/ Speed Boost
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Baton Pass - Protect - Swords Dance - Toxic/Will-o-wisp/STAB option/Earthquake

Basically this does the same as Scollipede with a bit less bulk, but has one other important function - He's Will-o-wisp immune. What this means is that you can shield the rest of your team from a Will-o-wisp, which is an issue you've identified, by switching and always Baton Pass away 1-2 Speed Boosts by carrying Protect, or a Swords Dance. Status is a more viable option than at first glance, as it lets you cripple and force out most Phazers (except Skarmory, if you use Toxic) who will often have to switch out after they've Phazed Blaziken away, depending on what get's dragged out. There's always still the option to run a STAB move too, or the un-STAB'd Earthquake, just off of a higher base attack than Scollipede. You're right in that offensive threat doesn't need to come from your Baton Passer.

Oh, and a final thing about Dragonite; an option to consider over Earthquake is the often overlooked BW2 Tutor Move Aqua Tail - its' slightly less accurate, and won't get SE against Steels, but it'll hit Ghost, Steel and Rock which are resistant to Extremespeed, and isn't bypassed by Fliers/Levitators.

EDIT: edited out the EV spread for Rotom, and the Extremespeed discussion on Dragonite; I made a couple of oversights.
Thanks! Some interesting ideas there, for sure. When considering Blaziken, I didn't take the Will-O-Wisp immunity into account. I would hate to see my Scolipede go, though. I was in a battle against a Weakness Policy Azumarill last night, and it took a boosted Waterfall without even dropping halfway.

Time to test, test, and test again lol...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)