Botting

Hey, I've considered throwing some computing power at teambuilding and competition (writing a halfway decent AI capable of constructing teams and competing with them on its own). Having done a bit of research, it seems as though there was one bot (Battlebot) that did the competition end of it, albeit at a very simple level.

First off, am I right in assuming that it is fine to use a bot, so long as either I own the server or I contact and receive permission from the server administration?

Secondly, is there a better way to approach this than what I can think of?
Obviously, the source is available, so I might be able to hack something together with that. Alternatively, it might be feasible to cobble something together to actually work with the UI. I'd be interested if possible in seeing how Battlebot did it, and if possible, where I could download that.

The teambuilding end doesn't look all that technically difficult, to be honest. Just some file format fiddling. Nevertheless, any insights into that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Bots have already been made, however the people who created the files have not put them out yet. (As far as I know.) I have hold of the stuff. It is possible. I've seen ones that battle, and stop spam. However, "auto-teambuilding" has been been made. I've seen ones that set a random number, then choose a team with that number, and battle with it. However, if you feel that you would like to use an "auto-generating" bot, I'll get you a head start.

Just a quick tip, to get the bot to start, you need to change BattleSever.java, and add a few files. It's written in java, so good luck.

Righto. Thanks for the information. If I ever get around to getting a battle AI, I figure making somewhat decent teams wouldn't be terribly difficult, as I could just use a genetic algorithm of sorts, using hot bot on bot action to evaluate and reproduce the teams. Thanks for the advice. Admittedly, this is sort of a as-time-allows and as-I-feel like it thing, so it may not get done. And Java shouldn't be too much trouble; I'm more a fan of Python, but I'm proficient in Java as well, and if I weren't, it wouldn't be all that difficult to just have a python program do the real processing and communicate with a small bit of Java code. I'll take a look at it, thanks!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you want to look at an example, the Pokemonexperte server has a BattleBot Back that does the battling, and you can see some of its coding when you battle it, for example, when you use Mean Look and it wants to switch out (that's actually a glitch; it wouldn't move because its AI told it to switch out, but I trapped it), you see something like "Pokemon X is trapped!" then some weird jargon.

Well that isnt really helpful. Without the full code, that would be useless. It's like a puzzle, one piece by itself is useless. Unless the bot just starts spamming its code, its useless. Besides, it wouldn't matter that much. And I do supposed some python could be used if its compatable with java.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)