Brace Yourselves, Summer is coming (another try at ou sun team)

Heya ! I've got back into Pokemon recently and after some hard learning and team testing , i came up with this weather team, thus giving me a team set for each weather. :)

(I'm not very apt at making rmt , please endure)

IMPORT
Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- X-Scissor

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 124 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stone Edge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Sludge Bomb
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 144 HP / 84 Def / 120 SAtk / 160 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun

Team building :

The Lead/Weather starter

NINETAILS
Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Must have on a sun team, some bulk added from the ev's ,
great double stab in fire blast
solar beam to threaten it's general counters later on , once they lost some hp
Hidden Power Ice is great against flying and dragons, i carry it a lot on this team.
The sunny day has a great surprise effect when facing politoed, it cuts off the damage from scald/surf and threatens back with a solar beam.

a sun team outside sun has major issues.
At first, i was using dugtrio based on another sun build to trap weather inducers and win the weather war, but i replaced him with virizion and didn't have that much more issues afterwards

The Anti-Lead/Weather/ Dude who counters shit

VIRIZION

Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- X-Scissor

Virizion tends to wreck rain teams, and thats it's main job on the team. Giga drain over solarbeam because its meant to be used in non sun weather and heals off lifeorb damage. Focus blast has bad accuracy but covers rock type pokemon, and scare little tyranitar away everytime. Hidden power ice for dragons and flying once again. and for the last slot i just added x-scissor to beat psychics, but i need suggestions on something better to use.

That makes arleady 2 hidden power ice users, but i'm a little wuss who's afraid of dragons so i wanted to have an ice type with ice shard, i took mamoswine for its edgequake also allows me to beat opposing fire types , who had no issues up until now.

Countering more shit

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Nothing much to say about this guy , generally gets the job done . Edgequake has great coverage, esp against other sun/fire. Ice Shard priority stab hits hard on stuff weak to it , who otherwise wreck my grass/fire team. Icicle crash for added damage when the priority isnt needed. It's huge attack stat destroys anything slower than it . Bad thing is iT's own weakness to fire types, which kinda destroys it's purpose, hopefully thick fat will be usable soon (couldn't doi t ) and then it would be even better.

Now that the weather is set , the counters are here, Send in the sweepers

The Chloro Sweeper

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Sludge Bomb
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Under the sun this guys speed is insane, stab solar beam and pseudo stab hidden power fire work great and heck, i havn't much else to say ! Does it's job. Sunny day as backup or if the opponents plans to resend his weather inducer on the solar beam charge turn. I used to have sleep powder, but i'm not a fan of sleep and it never landed so i put sludge bomb for the stab and poison chance. As an added bonus he absorbs toxic spikes !

Next sweeper : The bulky-ish sweeper

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 124 SAtk / 28 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

Defensive Ev's with a tad into Satk, magma storm accuracy is terrible but i tend to like the extra power and trap effect, wow can cripple physical sweeper can heatran resists. Also when ballon is up , he can safely switch into Eq that targets a lot of the other team members or any sun boosted fire moves . Basic heatran stuff. I put in stone edge for the extra coverage but i was also considering taunt or something else , please suggest stuff.

Last but not least , setup up sweeper, the mighty

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 144 HP / 84 Def / 120 SAtk / 160 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun

Mixed Evs between bulk and attack, its main problem is the weakness to SR , if it can setup the game is basicly won , standard set with morning sun for recovery and 2 stab coverage moves , double stab fireblast packs a punch on anything that doesnt resist it. In the case i can't avoid SR , i try to send him on early and try an early sweep/ do some damage , since he is pretty much useless if rocks are on the field.

That's all folk , ill try to edit with further . Hopefull you can point out some flaws / threats and suggest improvements to the set !
Please mind me , im not a great rmt maker.

A couple of things pop out at me:
-I think you could easily run CM on Virizion over X-Scissor with no trouble; it doesn't really need the coverage, so you might as well give it the chance to boost and sweep. However, I'd consider a more unusual anti-weather/anti-lead: Raikou. Specifically, Raikou @ Life Orb with Aura Sphere/Thunderbolt/Weather Ball/HP Grass, max SpA and Spe EVs. He decimates other weather starters, does quite well in Sun, and is a nightmare for rain teams.
-With Volcarona around, I think you really need a spinner. Donphan certainly isn't as good against dragons as Mamoswine, but his Ice Shard is still quite useful. I'd probably run the Offensive Rapid Spin set from the analysis page. He can run Ice Shard over SR easily; Heatran can be used to set up rocks.
-Speaking of Heatran, I'd probably switch him to a more normal Offensive set. If you want him to be bulkier, you could get away with switching some of the Speed EVs to HP.

May i suggest running this set on virizion?

Virizion
4hp/252atk/252spe/
Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Leaf blade
-close combat/ sacred sword
-stone edge

Sets up faster than calm mind, and Ive found it to hit rain teams significantly harder. Also, as a bonus, after the second swords dance, it 2hkos most gliscor. Its easy to predict when they protect, but watch out for the rare acrobat. Otherwise, this set extremely easy to use and set up.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Kargey

Pretty interesting Sun team you have here. Now looking at your team, I can see entry hazards being a major problem. Ninetales and Volcarona are both weak to Stealth Rock while all of your members save Balloon Heatran are susceptible to Spikes. For this reason I suggest replacing Mamoswine with a standard Defensive Donphan with a moveset of Stealth Rock / Rapid Spin / Earthquake / Ice Shard. Donphan is a great choice for your team because not only does he remove the entry hazards on your side of the field, but is also able to lay down the crucial Stealth Rock on your opponent’s side. Having hazards clear on your side will give you more chances to switch in your weather inducer to win the weather war as well as give you a better opportunity to set up Volcarona. Another benefit to using Donphan is that he is able to check common Sand team threats that otherwise pose major problems for Sun such as Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Landorus with his great bulk and ability to retaliate with Earthquake and Ice Shard. Losing Mamoswine will make you a little weaker to Dragon types but Donphan can still handle them with a priority Ice Shard and Heatran can wall the majority of them. Speaking of Heatran I would replacing Stone Edge with Substitute. Substitute is a great option on Heatran as he has a tendency to force a lot of switches and so the move helps you to ease prediction and grab a free sub. Substitute also works very well with Magma Storm as you can trap foes that are unable to break your sub and easily stall these foes out with Will-o-Wisp and residual damage from Magma Storm. If you do implement Substitute, I recommend Leftovers over Air Balloon in order to heal back some HP and create more subs.

Another suggestion I have is replacing your current Virizion with the Swords Dance Virizion with a moveset of Swords Dance / Leaf Blast / Close Combat / Stone Edge. Currently your team largely consists of Special attackers so will have a hard time getting past special walls such as Blissey and Chansey. An SD Virizion remedies this problem with its powerful STAB Super Effective Close Combat and also has the ability to pull off a sweep after a +2 boost. SD Virizion also helps your team greatly in taking out Rain teams as she beats their common threats such as Politoed, Ferrothorn, and Rotom-W.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Leaf Blade

tl;dr

Mamoswine ----> Standard Defensive Donphan
Stone Edge on Heatran ----> Substitute
Air Balloon on Heatran ----> Leftovers
Virizion ----> Swords Dance Virizion

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hi Kargev, this team looks decent but I think it can be improved to make it work better.

First, I think you should change your current Virizion set to a Swords Dance one. The main advantage of Virizion over other similar pokemon is its ability to set up, which you aren't abusing. Swords Dance allows Virizion to wreck rain teams easily, as a lot of pokemon can take on unboosted Virizion since it isn't very strong. Here's the set:

Virizion@Leftovers | Justified
Nature Jolly | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Leaf Blade / Close Combat / Leaf Blade

You mentioned that entry hazards (especially Stealth Rock) are a huge problem for your team, as Volcarona and Ninetales have a hard time doing their job if it's on the field. As such, I'm going to suggest using Donphan over Mamoswine. It provides both Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock support, which your team would really benefit of.

Donphan@Leftovers | Sturdy
Nature Impish | 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Earthquake / Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock / Ice Shard

Finally, I will suggest using a bit different Heatran set. Your current set is not effective at all (Stone edge, seriously?), and it doesn't perform as well as it could. Heatran naturally lures opposing weather inducers as well as Blissey, something you can abuse by trapping them via Magma Storm and wearing them down with toxic or a coverage move.

Heatran@Leftovers | Flash Fire
Nature Timid | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Magma Storm / Taunt / Earth Power / Toxic

Oh, and I think you should use Fiery Dance over Fire Blast on Volcarona, because with your bulky spread you're not getting any extra KOs with Fire Blast, and Fiery Dance is more reliable and has a great secondary effect.

Good Luck!

I'm going to agree with Novaray and DestinyUnknown completely. Donphan is much better than Mamoswine due to being able to do similar things, albeit with a little less power, but your team desperately needs a rapid spinner. Other than that, the team looks pretty good.

I agree with one of the previously mentioned rates. I would also recommend Donphan over something on your team. Not sure what. Probably over mamoswine since you dont want to have an overlapping water weakness especially on a sun team. Though you do have virizion it doesnt have reliable recovery so you might want to consider celebi over it. hope i helped

Thanks everyone for the comments ! i was on a vacation so i didn't have a chance to test your advice earlier , but i'll try them out.
sword dance virizion and donphan especially seem interesting. I'm not sure if donphan ice shard can take care of dragon types, ill have to try it out.
Once again , thank you for the improvements and advice ! i see how bad i am at making movesets :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)