Project Break This Team (Week 42)

Alright, voting for this week has ended! Thanks for the activity, The winner for this week is FrozenCold and his Serperior + Rotom-W + AV Metagross core. Congratulations to him and thanks for participating.

Core 1: 2 votes
Core 2: 1 vote
Core 4: 1 vote
Core 5: 1 vote
Core 7: 6 votes
Core 8: 2 votes
Core 9: 5 votes

Our next team to break is BlazeLatias 's Reuniclus and Manaphy CM Spam Balance. Good luck and have fun!!!

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Rest

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Anyways what I first noticed about the core was how it was weak to a TON of wallbreakers. Most notably Hydra,Mega Gyara,Hoopa-Unbound just to name a few. So in order to combat this weakness I went with a SpD Mega Altaria in order to handle Mega Gyarados and Hydra. The defensive set not only walls these two huge threaten to the core but also provides Heal Bell support for the team which is fairly useful with Manaphy as you're not as pressured to Rest when the Rain is up.

Fire Blast naturally is to combat Mega Scizor which otherwise annoys this team to hell and back. Next I wanted something that could check Bisharp,Excadrill and Talonflame considering Manaphy is a check but shouldn't be your lone check to it. Hippowdon also takes on electric types such as Thundy which is pretty useful. In fact M-Alt+Hippo ensures that electric types wont trouble this team. Having rocks was also nice. Next I wanted hazard removal and a check to annoying Fairy- types like Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie as well as a way to shut down threats such as Clefable which can get out of hand.

SpD Skarmory fits this role perfectly as it could also phaze out Clefable while checking those annoying Fairy-types. Defog is also nice so that the team won't be worn down by stuff like hazard stack+Bisharp/Mega Medicham. M-Alt really needs to be healthy in order to check Keldeo and other stuff like that. Lastly ,I wanted to have a way of dealing with Hoopa-Unbound. Problem is not much really fit this as I was either really weak to Hoopa if i went Clefable or decently weak to Kyurem-B if I went tyranitar. I went with Scarf Tyranitar at the end of the day because this team can for sure play around Kyurem-B thanks to Reuniclus's great bulk and Hoopa-Unbound was just the bigger threat overall. Having a way to prevent hazards from being removed is also really nice to have on balance teams like this and the extra speed certainly helps. Things to watch out for include Mega Pinsir+Breloom and Kyurem-Black.

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
A really well built team.Took a while to figure this out. Tornadus-t kills reuniclus by KOff and U-turn.
It also kills skarmory with heat wave. Next comes kyurem-black.It kills Manaphy and skarmory with fusion bolt,and kills Hippowdon and maltaria with ice beam.Scarf kyurem-b was added to combat ttarAlso,since torn-t has U-turn, it can always recover it's health and bring kyurem-b too.

Last edited:
lol i was the one who requested this team in the workshop

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice

This core destroys the team lol. Weavile on it's own 2HKO's 5/6ths of the team with it's STABs+Low Kick. Manectric fills in holes, beating both Skarmory and Manaphy, as well as providing a safe volt switch to Weavile.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Magnezone
@ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Altaria-Mega
@ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell

Really simple idea here. Once Zone successfully traps Skarm, Mega Altaria sets up easily on four of the remaining members and proceeds to sweep. Due to Skarm's lack of Shed Shell and the amount of pressure Mega Altaria applies on every other team member, trapping the bird shouldn't be terribly hard. Here is how the cloud does versus every member besides Skarm:
  • Manaphy - CM Manaphy can't do anything to stop Mega Altaria from setting up. You can DD with practically nothing to fear, curing any Scald burns with Heal Bell and recovering HP with Roost. After getting the amount of boosts you deem necessary, click Return and go to town.
  • Hippo - Lacks Whirlwind and can only manage 24.9 - 29.7% with EQ. As such, you can DD with no problem while healing any damage taken in the process.
  • Mega Altaria - You shouldn't try setting up on the team's own Mega Altaria, obviously. However, after a DD, you are faster and KO with Return.
  • Tar - You need 2 DDs to be faster. However, Tar only manages 35.1 - 41.6% with Stone Edge, meaning you can DD rather comfortably while healing any damage taken. Should Tar be locked on any other move besides Stone Edge, setting up is even easier.
  • Reun - Mega Altaria is able to DD pretty comfortably on Reun and overpower it. After a DD, Reun takes 49.7 - 58.9% from Return and 66.5 - 78.5% after two. On the flip side, Mega Altaria takes 33.1 - 39% and 43.6 - 51.8% from a +1 and +2 Psyshock, respectively. As such, the cloud will more than likely come out on top.
Overall, I think these two form a good core to break this team with. Mega Altaria can basically stick around forever versus this team, waiting until Zone traps Skarm before sweeping. Zone's presence alone makes the user of this team have to play a near flawless game to avoid being trapped, which is unrealistic given how nothing besides Skarm can stop Mega Altaria from going berserk. As such, it's only a matter of time before Zone can catch and kill the bird, giving Mega Altaria free reign afterwards.

Last edited:
Since I am a n00b, I don't know how to get the gifs of the 3D sprites, so we'll just use static images for now.

My answer to this team is a Stallbreaker core Unaware Clefable and Stallbreaker Mew with Mega Venusaur as the primary sweeper.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Heal Bell
Unaware Clefable is this team's biggest nightmare, completely bypassing the Calm Mind core and walling many of the offensive Pokemon, especially Manaphy, Tyranitar and even Skarmory, the biggest Fairy check. Calm Mind makes Clefable as much of a threat as possible. STAB Moonblast hits the entire team for at least neutral damage. Wish provides Clefable with recovery while Heal Bell allieviates status teamwide. EV investment is spent making Clefable as bulky as possible.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/ 224 SpD/ 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
Mew serves as the premiere Stallbreaker. Taunt shuts down the status-heavy movesets of the opposing team Soft-Boiled and Leftovers provide health. Will-O-Wisp cripples offensive Pokemon. Knock Off removes items, especially Tyranitar's Choice Scarf. A Careful nature is chosen to give Knock-Off as much power as possible.

Mega Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD/ 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Mega Venusaur's bulk and typing spell trouble for this team, especially against the likes of Mega Altaria and Manaphy. Giga Drain exploits the Grass-type weakness a majority of the team has as well as providing Mega Venusaur with health. STAB Sludge Bomb hits with neutral damage for the whole team, expect for Skarmory. Hidden Power Fire threatens Skarmory, and damages Pokemon that normally would wall Venusaur. Synthesis in the last spot gives Venusaur a reliable recovery option. EV spreads maximize on SpA while also maintaining bulk.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 232 Def / 36 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

The right Thundurus set can literally 6-0 this team itself. It can setup on / beat every member of this team bar Tyranitar. With the lack of Ice Beam on it's set, Defensive Landorus-T can have it's way with it and easily dispatch it. Hippowdon is annoying for it, so Thundurus also doubles as a lure towards Hippowdon and Mega Altaria with Grass Knot and Sludge Wave respectively. Skarmory should be smart enough to not stay in on Thundurus and force out Landorus-T, but with Smack Down, even it isn't safe. Thundurus is the biggest threat to this team by far though.

Last edited:

Thundurus-T @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 232 Def / 36 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

The right Thundurus-T set can literally 6-0 this team itself. It can setup on / beat every member of this team bar Tyranitar. With the lack of Ice Beam on it's set, Defensive Landorus-T can have it's way with it and easily dispatch it. Hippowdon is annoying for it, so Thundurus also doubles as a lure towards Hippowdon and Mega Altaria with Grass Knot and Sludge Wave respectively. Skarmory should be smart enough to not stay in on Thundurus and force out Landorus-T, but with Smack Down, even it isn't safe. Thundurus-T is the biggest threat to this team by far though.
That is Thundurus-Incarnate's sprite. Are you actually referring to this guy?

(You might as well take the extra power, since Thundy-I's not catching ScarfTar anyway.)

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

If I had a dollar for everytime thundurus does work on a team I'd probably have like $50 by now. Since weavile can check like everything on the team outside mons like skarm or manaphy there's np thundy-i which also shits on the team.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave
Basically np thundy can easily np up vs this team and ohko every fucking mon lol. However, you need to remove scarftar before doing this so...that's where specsdeo comes in. The thing can fire off specs scald when it gets in on half the team lol and manaphy/alt are the only mons that don't straight up drop to scald. If you np up vs either, then they have to either sack that or something else to stop themselves from getting royally buttfucked by thundy, so this can pave the way for keldeo to sweep. Alt is this team's thundy switch in, but +2 sludge wave buries the poor thing. If keldeo gets rid of ttar or thundy gets rid of malt, then the team pretty much has to click x because either of these mons become a huge problem and the team

Magnezone
@ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Altaria-Mega
@ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell

Really simple idea here. Once Zone successfully traps Skarm, Mega Altaria sets up easily on four of the remaining members and proceeds to sweep. Due to Skarm's lack of Shed Shell and the amount of pressure Mega Altaria applies on every other team member, trapping the bird shouldn't be terribly hard. Here is how the cloud does versus every member besides Skarm:
  • Manaphy - CM Manaphy can't do anything to stop Mega Altaria from setting up. You can DD with practically nothing to fear, curing any Scald burns with Heal Bell and recovering HP with Roost. After getting the amount of boosts you deem necessary, click Return and go to town.
  • Hippo - Lacks Whirlwind and can only manage 24.9 - 29.7% with EQ. As such, you can DD with no problem while healing any damage taken in the process.
  • Mega Altaria - You shouldn't try setting up on the team's own Mega Altaria, obviously. However, after a DD, you are faster and KO with Return.
  • Tar - You need 2 DDs to be faster. However, Tar only manages 35.1 - 41.6% with Stone Edge, meaning you can DD rather comfortably while healing any damage taken. Should Tar be locked on any other move besides Stone Edge, setting up is even easier.
  • Reun - Mega Altaria is able to DD pretty comfortably on Reun and overpower it. After a DD, Reun takes 49.7 - 58.9% from Return and 66.5 - 78.5% after two. On the flip side, Mega Altaria takes 33.1 - 39% and 43.6 - 51.8% from a +1 and +2 Psyshock, respectively. As such, the cloud will more than likely come out on top.
Overall, I think these two form a good core to break this team with. Mega Altaria can basically stick around forever versus this team, waiting until Zone traps Skarm before sweeping. Zone's presence alone makes the user of this team have to play a near flawless game to avoid being trapped, which is unrealistic given how nothing besides Skarm can stop Mega Altaria from going berserk. As such, it's only a matter of time before Zone can catch and kill the bird, giving Mega Altaria free reign afterwards.

reuniclus takes 66.5 - 78.5 from +2 return

+2 0 Atk Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Reuniclus: 100-118 (23.5 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
reuniclus can freely calm mind all over altaria

edit my bad calced it with normal altaria

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch

This team has issues against Mega Venusaur outside of Reuniclus or a Manaphy who has already stockpiled a lot of Calm Minds as can pretty much just not care for anything that is being thrown at Venusaur. CB Hoopa-U also helps to damage Reuniclus and Manaphy really hard while still being able to apply pressure to the rest of his team.

1 more day to post cores Everyone :D so please keep posting

Anyway I've added the results of the last 3 weeks to the Hall of Fame. Congrats Once more to Infernal for making it to 3 Nominations. In addition SketchUp has moved to 2 nominations while FrozenCold has entered the hall for the first time.

Hall of Fame Tally
3 Infernal
2 Little Lucario, Bendiving, cfdba, Sketch Up
1 Team Pokepals, AM, Docter Ciel, Luaral, Random Passerby , Flygoner818, Bludz, Gamer Boy, Frozen Cold

17 Weeks in and I'm very happy with all the support this progect has gotten thus far. Thanks everyone :). Anyway Onto this week. We have a whopping 8 Cores and 3 Have a a thundo in it. Is it that time of the year is that a trend lately? Moving on to voting we have the following 8 cores

Cores
Core 1 - Tornadus T + Kyurem Black
Core 2 - Weavile + Mega Manetric
Core 3 - Magnezone + Mega Altaria
Core 4 - Clefable + Mew + Mega Venusuar
Core 5 - Thundurus + Landorous T
Core 6 - Thundurus + Weavile
Core 7 - Thundurus I + Keldeo
Core 8 - Mega Venusuar + Hoopa U

As per Usual Everyone gets 2 Votes. Voting end monday Afternoon australian Time. Goodluck and have fun. Remember anyone who reachs the hall for the 3rd time Gets to have there own Team broken.

Voting period is over everyone and We have a Winner. Congrats to matthewc20090 for garnering for Joining the Hall of fame with his Weavile + Mega manetric Core. Thank you everyone For participating this week

Vote Count

1 - 3
2 - 5
3 - 3
4 - 0
5 - 4
6 - 2
7 - 3
8 - 2

Week 18 and this week we'll be exploring and breaking the rather Evil balance team built around the combination of Mew and Cobalion Made by Costi . With Mews unpredictablity luring threats left and right and Sub Cobalion having few switch ins the Pair is rather tought to break

Sets
Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Heart Stamp

Explanation: Build Around SD Cobalion and Lure Mew. The Idea is to remove there usual would-be checks and open oppurtunites for cobalion to sweep. Mew Takes advantage of its usaul checks by blasting them with a super effective move. Defensive Lando and Mega Gyarados form a nice intimate pair covering the few weakness's The core has while providing an alternate win-con and Rocks. Latios acts as an offensive Glue and defogger to mitigae dmg on the other mons while Jirachi Rounds out the team fixing what would otherwise be a deblitating Fairy Weakness. In addition Jirachi provides a much need Pivot and momentoum genorator for the Team that would otherwise be rather slow without it

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Granbull @ Choice Band
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Granbull is able to deal massive damage to this team. Pairing it with a VoltTurner helps it net chip damage. I chose Manectric, but pairing it with a slow VoltTurner like Scizor allows it to set up 1v1 situations that Granbull functions best in.
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 328-386 (101.2 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Landorus-T: 272-320 (71.2 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 229-270 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 186-219 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 284-336 (85.8 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 552-650 (184.6 - 217.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 340-400 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

-1 252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 186-218 (49.7 - 58.2%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 174-206 (46.5 - 55%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)