ORAS OU Breakdown Turn Core

It's me again at long last. I've basically been away during ORAS due to dying PC and a lot of IRL junk, but I've finally put together a team that I quite enjoy. The concept is simple. Use Stealth Rocks+ Turn-Core to wear down things, and then set up to hit hard with Mega Scizor for the win once the things that threaten Mega Scizor are taken care of.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Landorus-T serves as a bulky attacker with support/utility in U-Turn/Knock Off and SR. I'd run Stone Edge, but having the ability to knock off Rocky Helmet on Garchomp and Ferrothorn makes Mega Scizor's life much easier as physically defensive Ferrothorn with leech seed can be a royal pain to deal with even at +6 as long as it has rocky helmet too. Still, it's a debatable move and I'm willing to swap for Stone Edge to Nail Talonflame/etc on the switch.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

One of the things that Mega Scizor hates is opposing steel types that carry HP fire. It's always been a deadly threat for my main sweeper in this team, but once equipped with a choice Scarf, Magnezone makes an amazing steel type assassin. Barring Heatran, Magnezone can typically take on any steel type one on one and win thanks to HP fire. If it can't, just volt switch out for added momentum and nice chip damage. Also serves to add chip damage against a lot of non mega mons thanks to being scarfed. (Why do megas have ridic speed stats...) All in all, Magnezone was one Pokemon I'd never gotten around to using in gens 4-5 and I really am regretting it now thanks to it's great trapping abilities and power.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit

This is a particularly standard bulky Mega Scizor, but it's worked wonders thanks to how it's set up. I elected to put Pursuit on to trap and pick off targets that fear bullet punch. (Such as non HP Fire Lati's) and it also is a generally handy tool early game because once they realize that Pursuit is on the set, they have to think a lot harder as a pursuit-ed psychic type or such will typically die and if they stay in they risk Mega Scizor setting up to sweep or smash with a bullet punch. It's a mindgame move, but it's a handy one. Ultimately, the main win condition of the team due to great bulk and power once set up.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Toxic

Speedy Support Starmie. Threatens burns with the ever present scald, toxics things that need worn down, rapid spins to keep hazards clear and my own Stealth Rocks up. Recover for longevity, and of course natural cure for status absorbing. Works really well against things like endeavor Mamo (as rare as it is) and exploding mons (like Lando-T) that think they can OHKO after setting up rocks. It also can come in and check non sub volcanions thanks to the resists to its main stabs and then hit it with a toxic and recover stall if needbe.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Fusion Bolt

This is probably the least used member of the team, but I wanted something with good speed, a set of powerful moves (fire most notably) that it could spam, and utility with added turn-core coverage. The sad thing is, a Fusion Bolt doesn't OHKO all variants of Volcanion which is a royal headache, but it does deal well with Talonflame's various forms, and has a surprising amount of bulk. I was tempted to run Heatran, but I have enough of a fighting weakness with Magnezone, I didn't want to add to it.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Sleep is such a deadly effect, and I wanted something that could both be immune to spore, and at the same time abuse it. Plus, I needed a good special wall. Amoonguss fits the criteria perfectly. Yes, it can't take a lot of neutral physical hits and it outright dies to physical super effective ones typically, but this Wall has excellent durability, allowing it to check (and avoid the 2HKO from Mega Manectric among others) a large number of Pokemon. It also serves as a mostly hard counter to Keldeo due to its great typing and Clear smog, clearing away any boosts that Keldeo might try to get up. Toxic is on to nail things on the switch once Spore has been used and won't be handy for a while. Thanks to its huge SP def, it can even take on (Not well) Volcanion to some degree, and avoid the OHKO from Fire Blast from most sets and spore it in retaliation. Regenerator and Giga Drain help preserve Amoonguss.

Threatlist:

Will-O-Wisp + Flare Blitz Talonflame can be a serious problem as it can burn Lando-T and since it's not currently running stone edge, can make it a somewhat difficult Pokemon to get around. Victini is definitely the best check/counter to Talonflame currently.

This guy can be a royal pain if Starmie/Lando-T can't handle it. Victini can outspeed and hit it hard with a fusion bolt if it's been weakened enough.

Way more threatening than Most heatran thanks to team Eruption/Water Absorb/Fire Blast coverage. Starmie can stall it out with Recover/Toxic, and scarf sets are even easier to check thanks to that but if a few crucial Pokemon get weakened, this guy can run all over the team thanks to the fire/water coverage. Most frustratingly, Banded Fusion Bolt isn't an assured OHKO on this blasted thing. It's not a total threat as it can be handled, but it's a massive threat once certain Pokemon are weakened/knocked out of the picture.

In general, this team isn't too fond of burns. Honestly, I'd have to say that's the biggest threat for the team so things like Mega Sableye. (Thankfully it doesn't avoid a 2hko from EQ from Lando-T unless it gets a burn off first.) and CM+Scald mega Slowbro can be a problem unless Mega Scizor strikes it down with boosted Pursuits but then it risks a possible burn. Possibly victini can finish it off with banded Fusion Bolt.

So anyway, that's what I've got so far. I'd definitely appreciate feedback/thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi! Your team has some issues that you didn't mention and I feel like they should be taken care of.

First, your team lacks speed control, fast mons like M-Lopunny, M-Manectric or Tornadus-T can easily clean late game vs your team because you don't have anything to outspeed them or revenge kill them. Bisharp is a really big problem for your team, Sucker Punch beats Starmie, Victini and Magnezone after some damage, Landorus can't deal with it because if you try to switch into it you're going to give it a boost thanks to Defiant, your only real answer to it is M-Scizor but your set gets walled by Bisharp.
Latios >
Starmie:
I feel like Latios fits your team better as a hazard remover, it gives you a better switch-in to Volcanion which was a problem for your team. The standard set of Draco Meteor, Roost and Defog works fine, as the last move I would recommend using Surf that way you can switch into Heatran and beat it 1v1. This also gives you another switch-in to electric types like Rotom-W, Raikou and M-Manectric.
Scarf > Defensive:
Since you are going with an offensive set I feel like you should go all the way in. The main purpose of this is to have something that can revenge kill fast mons, something that you were lacking before and was an issue because nothing on your team could outspeed mons with a base speed of 115+.
Heatran >
Victini:
Victini isn't that good in this meta where mons like Rocky Helmet Lando and Garchomp are common, same with Pursuit. You should've noticed that already since you said that it was the least used member. With Scarf Landorus on your team you lack a rock setter, Heatran does that and it's a replacement to Victini. With Leftovers it switches into Ferrothorn, Skarmory and some M-Scizor variants and beats them 1v1. It's also a switch-in to bulky grass types like Amoonguss and M-Venusaur which were annoying to your team. I went with Magma Storm, Taunt and Toxic to help your stall matchup and to wear down bulky water types.

Minor Changes:
Amoonguss spread:
You should consider a spread of 252 HP, 136 Def and 120 SpDef with a Calm Nature, this spread avoids the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind after stealth rocks and the rest is in Defense to take hits from Breloom and Azumarill a lot better. Your previous spread had a lot of SpDef for no real reason and it was a waste of its bulk.
U-Turn/Superpower > Pursuit:
Since this is your main switch-in to Bisharp I feel like you should at least have a way to hit it. Both U-Turn and Superpower are good options here, you can choose U-Turn to keep the VoltTurn core with Magnezone and Landorus-T or Superpower to OHKO Bisharp.

That's it for my rate. Everything in your threatlist is taken care of, you'll have to play around Bisharp so you don't have a bad time with it, if you feel like you don't need 2 scarfers in your team you can change Magnezone to Specs. I hope you like the changes, have fun!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hi! Your team has some issues that you didn't mention and I feel like they should be taken care of.

First, your team lacks speed control, fast mons like M-Lopunny, M-Manectric or Tornadus-T can easily clean late game vs your team because you don't have anything to outspeed them or revenge kill them. Bisharp is a really big problem for your team, Sucker Punch beats Starmie, Victini and Magnezone after some damage, Landorus can't deal with it because if you try to switch into it you're going to give it a boost thanks to Defiant, your only real answer to it is M-Scizor but your set gets walled by Bisharp.
Latios >
Starmie:
I feel like Latios fits your team better as a hazard remover, it gives you a better switch-in to Volcanion which was a problem for your team. The standard set of Draco Meteor, Roost and Defog works fine, as the last move I would recommend using Surf that way you can switch into Heatran and beat it 1v1. This also gives you another switch-in to electric types like Rotom-W, Raikou and M-Manectric.
Scarf > Defensive:
Since you are going with an offensive set I feel like you should go all the way in. The main purpose of this is to have something that can revenge kill fast mons, something that you were lacking before and was an issue because nothing on your team could outspeed mons with a base speed of 115+.
Heatran >
Victini:
Victini isn't that good in this meta where mons like Rocky Helmet Lando and Garchomp are common, same with Pursuit. You should've noticed that already since you said that it was the least used member. With Scarf Landorus on your team you lack a rock setter, Heatran does that and it's a replacement to Victini. With Leftovers it switches into Ferrothorn, Skarmory and some M-Scizor variants and beats them 1v1. It's also a switch-in to bulky grass types like Amoonguss and M-Venusaur which were annoying to your team. I went with Magma Storm, Taunt and Toxic to help your stall matchup and to wear down bulky water types.

Minor Changes:
Amoonguss spread:
You should consider a spread of 252 HP, 136 Def and 120 SpDef with a Calm Nature, this spread avoids the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind after stealth rocks and the rest is in Defense to take hits from Breloom and Azumarill a lot better. Your previous spread had a lot of SpDef for no real reason and it was a waste of its bulk.
U-Turn/Superpower > Pursuit:
Since this is your main switch-in to Bisharp I feel like you should at least have a way to hit it. Both U-Turn and Superpower are good options here, you can choose U-Turn to keep the VoltTurn core with Magnezone and Landorus-T or Superpower to OHKO Bisharp.

That's it for my rate. Everything in your threatlist is taken care of, you'll have to play around Bisharp so you don't have a bad time with it, if you feel like you don't need 2 scarfers in your team you can change Magnezone to Specs. I hope you like the changes, have fun!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Well, as to speed control, it hasn't been too much of an issue as most speedy mons don't take priority well, and mega manectric usually takes hits from rocks over and over, leaving it worn down pretty quick, but I do see your point. I'm a little iffy on Scarf Lando as the team does appreciate the ridiculous bulk that the utility Lando offers and slow U-Turn, getting the next mon in safely which has been critical more than once.

Victini: Yeah, I'll give you that and while I do like the idea of Heatran, it does take away some momentum as well as increases the fighting weakness, so I'll have to experiment with it before I'm fully sold on i-This has made me think of another pivot Pokemon that might have a place that I haven't used. Tornadus-T... Not sure if I'd wanna run that, but it probably would work better than Victini and AV/Regenerator could help it be a nice special sponge. I'd like to keep momentum going constantly with the volt-turn things for this team, so when losing a turner, I'd prefer to replace with another turner if at all possible. Maybe do a swap of Rotom-W with Willo/Volt Switch to help deal with Bisharp, Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny, and Volcanion?

Threat of Bisharp?
It's not a... Oh, it kinda can be if it gets a chance to set up enough. So far, I've been able to read any potential Sharp switches and bring in Zone to wreck it with HP Fire/Spore it on switch, etc. But, yeah, a really well played bisharp could be a problem.

Thanks for the advice, and I do like a lot of it, I'm just not fully sold on some of the suggestions yet as I'm trying to keep a turncore philosophy in mind with this team.

I'll run a few damage calcs on the Amoonguss set, so far I've been running max sp def evs mostly so it /can/ avoid the 2hko from things like flamethrower from mega manectric. Dunno if it'd be worth the cost though if I use something like AV Tornadus or Rotom W though now that it's started to pop into mind.

252 SpA+ Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 184-218 (42.5 - 50.4%) (Timid, the generally better nature; does up to 46%) That was one of the rationales behind the EV investment. mega Mane is a really fun thing to spore since everyone assumes Amoonguss can't handle it. But, if it can deal with more physical threats, it might make it more valuable...

I'll be tinkering ASAP with some of your suggestions and see what happens. Cheers!

Going to be tinkering with Latios>Starmie I think here. It's a promising lead as it can help stop Volcanion.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)