Breloom & Buds (OU Weatherless)

Breloom & Buds (An Ou Weatherless Team)
Hey guys, this is my first Rate My Team submission and I decided to start with a team centered around my favorite Poke. Just take a guess who... It's Breloom! I took Breloom, gave him a friend with some good synergy in the name of Scizor to get rid of his primary counters, some hazard support, a rapid spinner, a solid core of pokemon and voila! A team was born. This team has been laddering fairly high for me, maxing out at 1913 on showdown. I'm very happy with it, but I think it can be even better. So, without further ado, let's meet the team.

At a Glance
=================================​
In Depth
=================================​
Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Spa)
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed
-Spore

Of course we will start with Breloom, the star of the show. I kept seeing Breloom on opposing teams while playing and after getting swept by it enough I decided to give it a shot. Safe to say I loved it, and it is now my favorite poke by far. Breloom's role on this team is to clean up late game, revenge kill with mach punch, or to come in on something slower than it and put it to sleep. I chose a Jolly nature for it because it needs to out-speed everything that it can, and that is more important to me than the power that an adamant nature would provide. I chose to use the swords dancing set over the all out attacking set because it has an easier time cleaning up late game. If I expect my opponent to lead with Politoed, I will send out Breloom first and start the game by putting something on my opponents team to sleep and possibly setting up. Celebi and the Lati Twins give Breloom a lot of trouble, so that's what the next guy is for.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 Atk / 248 Hp / 8 Spd / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spa)
-Bullet Punch
-U turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Scizor is the number one most used pokemon in OU, and that comes as little surprise seeing as to how powerful it can truly be. My scizor has a very specific job outside of its normal role firing off STAB Technician bullet punches and maintaining momentum with U turns. Scizor's job on my team among other things is to kill two of the biggest threats to Breloom, Celebi (barring the HP fire), and the Lati Twins. Against a Celebi, Scizor can switch in without being harmed and threaten it with a powerful U turn. This can either KO the Celebi or keep the momentum on my side. Against the Lati Twins, Scizor can come in and pursuit trap them, guaranteeing the eventual KO. Scizor works the same way against other fast psychics such as Alakazam, who can bother Breloom significantly. For the EVs, I used a standard CB Scizor set except I took 4 of the EVs off of attack and put them into speed, ensuring that i will outspeed other choice banded Scizors 100% of the time.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Will o Wisp

I love offensive Heatran, and am extremely surprised at how little it is used in comparison to the other more prominent special defensive set. Heatran provides the powerful fire type moves necessary to eliminate those pesky steel types and also has great type synergy with Breloom. Heatran's fantastic ability allows it to come in on the fire type attacks aimed at Breloom and Scizor, take no damage at all, and then fire back with a coverage move of choice. This Heatran also acts as a lure of sorts for Gliscors. They love to switch in on Heatran expecting an easy KO, especially after leftovers are revealed, assuming that I am running a special defensive set. I then fire back with an HP ice and eliminate one of Breloom's major counters. This Heatran also works well against Dragonites (after stealth rocks) for the same reason.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin

Starmie is a true team player, and I love it for that reason. Rapid spin keeps hazards off of my side of the field which is crucial for my Dragonite to set up. Starmie can also act as a status absorber with its ability, Natural Cure. This keeps paralysis and burns away from my pokemon and greatly aids me against stallers. STAB Hydro pump is no joke either, dealing heavy damage to most anything that switches into it. Starmie's final purpose is to act as a dragon killer, easily getting rid of Dragonite, Garchomp, and Mence without a second thought. Landorus and Gliscor are also eliminated. I use thunderbolt over a psychic move because it is one of two moves on my team that I have to hit water types hard. The only other one is Breloom's bullet seed, and I might not want to bring out my Breloom early game.

Landorus-T (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 Hp / 64 Atk / 240 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spa)
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U turn
-Stealth Rocks

Ahh, what is a competitive pokemon team without stealth rocks. Landorus is my obligatory stealth rocks user and is usually successful in its efforts to get up hazards early thanks to its Yache Berry. The Yache Berry allows it to always get up rocks and then U turn out against Lead Tyranitar's with Ice Beam, and leads who carry Hp ice. It also allows Landorus to take an ice move late game, which has turned several battles around for me. U turn aids my team by keeping momentum, and the EdgeQuake coverage is usually good enough for my Landorus to act as an effective offensive pivot. The EVs are Smogon's standard offensive pivot set with an alteration to give it 4 more speed EVs. These 4 speed EVs allow me to always outspeed other Landorus-Ts.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Extremespeed
-Fire Punch

The standard dragon dance Dragonite works wonders on any team, especially this one. With Starmie spinning away hazards and Landorus putting them up, Dragonite usually has perfect conditions to come in, set up, and tear through the opponent's team. Dragonite is one of three members of my team who have a powerful priority move alongside Scizor and Breloom, so sweepers and pokemon at low health almost never have a chance to do too much damage. Dragonites main purpose is to soften up the opponent with powerful +1 outrages and sometimes surprise kill steel types expecting me to run earthquake. Heatran walls this set completely, but i can switch out to my own max speed Heatran or Starmie to get rid of it.

============================​
Threats
===============================
Rotom - W: If it runs HP Ice, it causes my team a huge headache because it can hit everything for big damage and is not easy to OHKO

Hydreigon: Hydreigon is always a hard pokemon to counter, but it particularly gives my team a lot of problems. With dark pulse for Starmie, flamethrower for Breloom and Scizor, surf for Heatran and Landorus, and Draco Meteor for Dragonite, it hits every pokemon I have for supereffective damage. I usually have to rely on Priority to kill it, and it will usually claim one of my pokemon if it switches in.

Mamoswine: With its Powerful ice shards and earthquakes, Mamo hits 2/3 of my team supereffective and can hit everything hard. Like Hydreigon, I have to rely on priority to KO it.

Chandelure: An unusual sight but alas it is still a problem. With hidden power ground it hits 2/3 of my team supereffective and with hidden power ice it hits 5/6 of it.

=======================​
In Conclusion
=======================​
Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed my first ever RMT submission and are willing to critique it. I am open to switching anybody out of this team bar Breloom. If he needs to exit his role as the star that is fine, he just has to be involved. I am also open to weather. To sum it up, this is my powerful offensive team with the goal of getting Breloom's counters out of the way and letting him wreak havoc. Thanks for reading!

Hi GreySp!

Pretty interesting team,but I have a few suggestions for you.

1)Your team has a general weakness to Ice so I recommend you replace Landorus-T with a Choice Scarf Terrakion,that way you can have another check to Mamoswine which is very problematic,also because you do lack a scarfer

2)Stealth rock>Will-o Wisp on Heatran so you can provide Rocks if you took my advice of replacing Landorus-T and I would suggest Air Balloon>Leftovers on Heatran so your not trapped and killed by Dugtrio and avoid Ground Type Attacks while the balloon is intact

3)Focus Sash>Life Orb on Breloom since he's really frail it really won't live a SE move,with a Sash you are guarantted to Spore something and then Swords Dance and clean house(maybe).

4)Also Surf>Hydro Pump on Starmie so you have a more reliable form of STAB and also you dont have to be getting because your Hydro Pump misses.Sometimes Reliabilty>Power

So those are my suggestions,hope I helped!

Good luck my friend!

:D

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey GreySp

Nice weatherless offensive team, you have a nice group of supportive sweepers that can put a lot of pressure on your opponent. I do, however, have some recommendations in mind to help you improve your team. Your team is very susceptible to Keldeo, especially the Expert Belt set. With the common moveset of Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Icy Wind / Hidden Power Bug, Keldeo can hit everything on your team hard for super effective damage. Starmie is pretty much your only realistic switch in for it, but he's not going to be able to take a Rain boosted Hydro Pump if he has already taken a bit of prior damage. To patch up this weakness, I suggest changing your Starmie set to the Bulky Rapid Spin Starmie set. This Starmie runs Scald / Psyshock / Rapid Spin / Recover with HP investment. It works for a good Keldeo check to be able to tank hits and hit back hard with Psyshock. Starmie also helps patch up your Mamoswine weakness as he can hit and 2hko it with Scald while also being able to burn it which basically renders Mamoswine useless. With bulk, it's a lot more likely to get off the Rapid Spin as well, that your Dragonite desperately needs.

On Heatran, try Substitute over Will-o-Wisp. Heatran tends to force a lot of switches, on things like Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, Choice locked Dragon attacks, Steel types, etc. which easily allows him to set up a free Substitute. From behind this Sub, he can fire off powerful attacks off that base 130 Speciall Attack. Will-o-Wisp is a nice option to cripple potential switchins, however, I don't like its shaky accuracy and would rather have a Sub and be able to deal some sure damage on the opponent, especially with the great coverage Heatran has. You might like WoW better though, so its something you want to test out and see what you personally prefer.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there. Breloom is personally one of my favorite pokemon to use, and I like the pokemon you've surrounded it with, as there seem to be numerous responses to things like Lati@s, Celebi, and some faster threats thanks to the use of priority. I was looking at your weaknesses section, and I think that Rotom-W is a little annoying for this team, but I think you can play around it a little bit given the makeup with your team. Lum DD Dragonite is a good response to Rotom-W, mainly the defensive sets. I'd also say Thundurus-T could also be a little annoying for this team, as a combination of Focus Blast, HP Ice, and Thunderbolt will force quite a bit of switches with this team.

You said that Dragonite's role was to break down teams with +1 Outrages. One set in particular that does this job effectively well would be CB Dragonite, which racks up damage faster than DD Nite despite having less chances to sweep teams. You have a stronger priority move in ExtremeSpeed that you can use in clutch situations, such as that against things like Thundurus-T. If you have rocks up, simply get it into ExtremeSpeed range by switching around with your team a bit to rack up Life Orb recoil, then finish it off when it's weak enough to be picked off by an ExtremeSpeed, which doesn't take that long.

The downside to using CB Dragonite would probably be that you have less opportunities to sweep, and you are more susceptible to fast versions of Rotom-W that run Will O Wisp. That's an understandable problem, and it's not the end of the world even if you do have that problem, but another set up sweeper you could consider using is SD Garchomp. SD Garchomp provides you instant speed against threats like Thundurus-T, Hydreigon, Haxorus, Lucario, etc. that would prove annoying for you to face given the makeup of this team. Lucario in particular is annoying because it outspeeds everything on your team bar Starmie, can hit all of your pokemon with Close Combat, ExtremeSpeed, or Ice Punch, and you give Lucario an opportunity to set up by using Scizor.

SD Chomp can run Lum berry which helps you set up in the face of Rotoms, and helps against untimely Scald burns as well. And you can even run Aqua Tail on that SD Chomp to hit things like Landorus-T for more damage, as well as giving you an extra boost against Rain teams, as you are weatherless. You might be losing priority by running Chomp, but I honestly think that Scizor and Breloom do the job well enough.

Garchomp@Lum Berry
Jolly 252 Atk/252spe/4 HP
Outrage/Swords Dance/Earthquake/Aqua Tail

Good luck with the team, it's very well built. Hope I gave you some new ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)