Brianstorm (Yes, a Drizzle Team)

Points to you if you get the reference. Arctic Monkeys ftw.

ANYWAYS.

For months I have cycled through different teams I've made in an effort to find one with quite a bit of success. I've used Hail, Drought, Non-Weather, a Sandstorm team early on... hell, I had a Hail/Trick Room team. And while they've each had various levels of success, they all failed when it came to the tough battles, especially against fellow clan members of mine.

This one, however, I'm hoping will change that. I finally jumped on the Drizzle bandwagon like this is Oregon Trail, and so far... I haven't sucked. Other than my own misplays, of course. But really, this team has definitely shown a marked, consistent improvement over my previous endeavors, and it still has potential I believe.

I still feel like there's something missing on this team, though, so let's go through the details and hopefully I'll see some suggestions from someone reading this/you!

Team Building Process

1. No duh I start with this amphibian. Politoed's the only choice for a OU Drizzle team, and starts me out with a pokemon with very nice coverage and of course the weather-setting.

2. Toxicroak was first on my list of pokemon to add to the team, partly because I needed a physical attacker, partly because I wanted something that went quite well with rain, and partly because I remember him being annoying as hell to face (which is also how I grew to love Techniloom, but that's a different story).

3. For my second physical attacker, I went with a pokemon who singlehandedly takes care of most Dragons, Psychics and pokes like Tyranitar and Terrakion. And adds even more badass-ness to the team.

4. Now I needed some defensive pokemon. I'd used Vaporeon to some success on another team, and the HydraRest combo was too great to pass up. One defender down, one to go.

5. My other wall, a more well-rounded one than Vappy for this team, is Dusclops. The first time I ran him was with Trick Room, but obviously not having that frees him up a bit more for me. In any case, a wall as bulky as him is always great to have.

6. Finally, I wanted mainly one thing: an immunity to Electric. My first thought was Electivire, but that would give me three physical attackers to one Special, and as such I decided on Jolteon. His great Special Attack and Speed (as well as his frailty) give me almost a complete counterpart/complement/other "C" word that works to Weavile, and STAB Thunder in Rain definitely hurts. A lot. I would know.

I have not made any changes to the team as of yet, as testing has thus far shown a pretty decent balance. Of course, I could definitely be missing something (and likely am, knowing me). Which is mainly why I'm posting this RMT.

Now for the team breakdown itself...

Politoed (Happy Froggy) @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Grass

Standard Specs set, basically. Hydro Pump provides the obligatory STAB move, Ice Beam and Focus Blast do their jobs on DNite, Ferrothorn, etc. The final move hits Quaggy, Rotom-W, and the growing number of Gastrodons. Specs allows him to kill things, and the EVs are to aid him in said killing.

He's not a very nice frog.

But he does live up to his name. The one I gave him.

Toxicroak (Sad Froggy) @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Cross Chop
-Sucker punch
-Swords Dance
-Ice punch

Yes, I named Politoed Happy Froggy and Toxicroak Sad Froggy. And yes, I opted for an extra coverage move over Substitute. Ice Punch has actually served him quite well and taken a couple foes by surprise.

Hi there, Gliscor. xD

Cross Chop is a great STAB move despite its inaccuracy, and Sucker punch is, well, Sucker Punch, with its priority and such. Swords Dance is if I can set up before wrecking people. The Lefties + Dry Skin combo helps that.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Ability: pressure
EVs: 40 Hp / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
-Ice Shard
-Ice Punch
-Pursuit
-Low Kick

The standard set, but it does soooo well at what it's made to do. I sacrificed a bit of speed I didn't see needed to give Weavile a tad bit more bulk (Heh, Weaviles being bulky. That's a good joke). Ice Shard is valuable priority (which is a bit redundant), while Ice Punch is a more powerful STAB move that tears Dragons to shreds. Pursuit is a great counter to those weak to it and even otherwise can be valuable if I can guess the switch. Low Kick rounds out the set to handle the big guys, and OHKO's guys like Terrakion and Tyranitar with ease. plus, Weavile is just plain badass.

Vaporeon (Vappy) @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Hp / 50 Def / 204 SpD (I admit, there's no real calcs I did to get this spread. If anyone has an actual SpD spread that works then... yeah.)
-Rest
-protect
-Toxic
-Surf

Ah, HyraRest Vaporeon. So fun. Or annoying. Your choice.

You know how it works: Once Vappy's health gets low, Rest back up and watch Hydration wake it like... *insert strained half of simile here.* Surf provides a good STAB move (and really, Vaporeon's Special Attack is pretty good to begin with), and Toxic is just great for stalling.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Hp / 176 Def / 80 SpD

-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp
-Night Shade
-Taunt

Dusclops is my main wall in terms of sheer defense, with, obviously, a slight leaning towards the Defensive side of things. Pain Split is his form of pseudo-recovery, while Will-O-Wisp is his status-inducer of choice, definitely harming physical attackers (in more ways than one). Night Shade provides consistent damage to all non-Normals, and Taunt can stop set-up sweepers like SD Scizor or pokes like Ferrothorn from pulling anything. I had Ice Beam in the last slot, but I was rarely using it, especially when four other pokemon have a move of that type.

...I don't like getting beaten by Dragons.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

-Thunder
-Charge Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Ice

Immunity to one of two Water weaknesses? Check, Volt Absorb. Benefits from the rain? Check, STAB Thunder. Fast and powerful? 300+ SpA and almost 400 Speed = check. Decent coverage? Check (though I'm pondering sticking Signal Beam in there over Charge Beam maybe, Dunno). Frailty to match Weavile? Check. Still, a great pokemon to do damage and/or nail a couple KO's, though his lifespan is short. At least he isn't weak to two different priority moves.

In any case, that's my team thus far. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's performed to a decent amount of success, and with a couple edits (and less sucky prediction on my own part) it could turn out to be quite a squad.

Any comments/suggestions/not-flames are welcome. Well, almost any. You know what I mean.

Hope you enjoyed/didn't hate reading this, and I do hope I get a decent suggestion or two or five to look into.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't see what Weavile and Dusclops bring to your team. The former can't switch in on anything, even resisted moves, and the latter should only ever be used as a spinblocker. Except you have no entry hazards! This team's gonna have a hard time with dragons since they can just spam Outrages and Draco Meteors since you have no resists. Your team also looks like it would have some problems against stall. I suggest using Sub CM Jirachi, which is one of the best rain abusers out there and is at the same time, one of the best stallbreakers in existence. It also takes dragon hits decently well and allows you to defeat many dangerous threats like Reuniclus, the Latii twins, and since its in the rain, Heatran.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Timid
252 Hp/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA
Substitute
Calm Mind
Thunder
Water Pulse

I also suggest using a Gliscor. As of right now, you have no answer to sand at all. Gliscor takes on fighting types even better than Dusclops, and it also does a great job stopping Excadrill cold.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 Hp/ 176 Def/ 80 Spe
Swords Dance
Taunt
Earthquake
Ice Fang

yeah i agree with new world order you definately change dusclops to gliscor and as your team would be more specially based if you replaced weavile with jirachi mayby you could try sd scizor or a cb variant?

I suggest switching the item on your Toxicroak from Leftovers to Life Orb. Nets more KO's, you don't really need the recovery, etc. I am also failing to see where Dusclops and Weavile fit in to this equation. I wouldn't use the extremely good Jirachi set New World Order posted, as I don't see it filling the areas of need you have. I would, however, recommend a specially defensive based Jirachi. A spread of 252HP/216SpD/40Spd should suffice with a moveset of Iron Head/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock/Wish could provide excellent support for your team while walling the Dragons you are so weak to.

Another suggestion would be to replace your Weavile with some sort of Excadrill counter. Banded Azumarill does STUPID amounts of damage with Aqua Jet in the rain. Conkeldurr laughs at Rock Slide and KO's with Mach Punch. Gliscor and Skarmory just straight up wall it to death. Be careful with your team though. It's super Thundurus weak already, and none of the suggestions I made alleviate that stress at all. However, if you're willing to switch Vaporeon to Gastrodon, you could solve that problem right there. Calm 252HP/4SpA/252SpD works perfectly fine. GLB

Change Dusclops to Gliscor and Jolteon to Thundurus.

Use NWO's Gliscor (goddamn he ninja'd me -.-) and this Thundurus:

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolteon's movepool is just too shallow, in my opinion.

I would definitely use Specs on Jolteon. A specs boosted Thunder with 100% accuracy is nothing to laugh at coming from Jolteon. Another move I would make would be to use Wish instead of Rest on Vaporeon. The main reason for using rest is to get rid of status, which Vaproeon does anyways. Wish can recover HP as well as help the team (and Vaporeon does have a large HP stat that really passes nice Wishes.)

I don't see what Weavile and Dusclops bring to your team. The former can't switch in on anything, even resisted moves, and the latter should only ever be used as a spinblocker. Except you have no entry hazards! This team's gonna have a hard time with dragons since they can just spam Outrages and Draco Meteors since you have no resists. Your team also looks like it would have some problems against stall. I suggest using Sub CM Jirachi, which is one of the best rain abusers out there and is at the same time, one of the best stallbreakers in existence. It also takes dragon hits decently well and allows you to defeat many dangerous threats like Reuniclus, the Latii twins, and since its in the rain, Heatran.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Timid
252 Hp/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA
Substitute
Calm Mind
Thunder
Water Pulse

I also suggest using a Gliscor. As of right now, you have no answer to sand at all. Gliscor takes on fighting types even better than Dusclops, and it also does a great job stopping Excadrill cold.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 Hp/ 176 Def/ 80 Spe
Swords Dance
Taunt
Earthquake
Ice Fang
First, nobody in their right mind would switch Weavile on anything (except a psychic move, obviously), thanks to his paper-bag defenses. He's definitely of the revenge-kill category, and that's his purpose on the team.

Secondly... those do sound like good ideas. Dusclops to Gliscor seems to be a consensus among all of you presumably kind people who have replied, and as such that change will definitely end up being tested and in the end hopefully permanent. Jirachi also seems to be a popular choice (over Weavile I'd assume), so if I subbed it in my only concern would be the fact that half of the squad would be weak to Ground. But then, that might not be that big a deal. I dunno. xD

I would definitely use Specs on Jolteon. A specs boosted Thunder with 100% accuracy is nothing to laugh at coming from Jolteon. Another move I would make would be to use Wish instead of Rest on Vaporeon. The main reason for using rest is to get rid of status, which Vaproeon does anyways. Wish can recover HP as well as help the team (and Vaporeon does have a large HP stat that really passes nice Wishes.)
I was pondering a Specs set to begin with, I believe I decided against it because politoed was Choiced and I hate having more than one Choiced pokemon on a team. However, I haven't been setting up often with CB, so I could definitely try a Specs set for him as well.

As for Vaporeon, it's basically between Rest's full recovery (and Wish's 1/2 recovery) and Wish's team support as a whole. I'll see how Wish works for me for sure, though.

I suggest switching the item on your Toxicroak from Leftovers to Life Orb. Nets more KO's, you don't really need the recovery, etc. I am also failing to see where Dusclops and Weavile fit in to this equation. I wouldn't use the extremely good Jirachi set New World Order posted, as I don't see it filling the areas of need you have. I would, however, recommend a specially defensive based Jirachi. A spread of 252HP/216SpD/40Spd should suffice with a moveset of Iron Head/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock/Wish could provide excellent support for your team while walling the Dragons you are so weak to.

Another suggestion would be to replace your Weavile with some sort of Excadrill counter. Banded Azumarill does STUPID amounts of damage with Aqua Jet in the rain. Conkeldurr laughs at Rock Slide and KO's with Mach Punch. Gliscor and Skarmory just straight up wall it to death. Be careful with your team though. It's super Thundurus weak already, and none of the suggestions I made alleviate that stress at all. However, if you're willing to switch Vaporeon to Gastrodon, you could solve that problem right there. Calm 252HP/4SpA/252SpD works perfectly fine. GLB
Hmm, I do like adding SR to the team with Jirachi, though Wish could be a bit redundant with Vappy possibly keeping it over Rest. I'll see if I can test your Jirachi as well, see what goes down.

As for an Exca counter, I love Techniloom, but he's DW (and illegal in my clan battles). But god does he kill things. xD
Anyways, Gliscor is getting subbed in (and adds a second Electric immunity to help combat Thundurus, especially if I take NWO's set with Ice Fang), and... I dunno after that.

Thanks all for your comments, if you have any more replies (or if you wanna chip in your cents for the first time here) hell yeah, I'll look at them. Anything to help the team. Well, almost anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)