Brightpowder+sandveil, the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit for the finer details of the team go to Light (from Shoddy battle, one of the mods), I did help contribute on the concept though (not a difficult leap of logic, just extended the brightpowder+sand veil garchomp build that had been circulating around to a full team)!

The basic idea is to take Hippodown and TTar, they'll be your sandstormers. Next, take Gliscor, Garchomp, and Cacturne, give them all bright powder and sand veil. They should also have sub and sword dance (You can try having Gliscor being a baton passer if you want, in which case agility is not a bad choice). If you've ever seen the brightpowder Garchomp you know what comes next: Set up Sandstorm, proceed to get one of your sand veilers in play and sub until your opponent misses. Proceed to sword dance and go for a sweep. The big advantage here is you've got 3 shots at doing this, you can force probability into your favor. The 6th pokemon can be whatever you want.

This team right off the bat renders low accuracy moves near-useless and even 100 accuracy moves will often get that fatal miss. It's a good example of how you can take hax items like brightpowder out of hand, they're fine on their own but do a bit of combining miss factors...

Discuss

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
As you said, Brightpowder is a hax item and thus generally considered illegal. Although it's difficult to enforce as you can't go around checking your opponent's item, I think a gentleman's agreement can certainly be reached.

Putting that aside, it seems like a fun enough team for the user, but I can imagine the opponent wil be pulling his hair out!

This isn't exactly a new idea - it's mentioned by someone on the Garchomp analysis, and I've seen a few people on Shoddy doing it already.

It certainly can be effective, though, assuming you're not phazed. Letting the opponent get a free sub/SD due to hax can potentially cost you a game.

I tried something like this already with Gliscor and Garchomp with Brightpowder turns out Gliscor benefits more from lefties garchomp however can make use of it.

i was considering doing something similar for my battle tower team.
The hax Battle Tower will act like it's not even there, I swear. I tried a variant of this back in the Battle Frontier:

Articuno@Brightpowder
Docile Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd (this was before I retooled it, still broken now)
- Double Team
- Water Pulse
- Mind Reader
- Sheer Cold

The idea of this set was to DT and give Articuno some set-up time, with more survivability since it could had far better defenses than my Spore+Sub Sheer Cold Smeargle (and didn't have to rely on Quick Claw to work). Water Pulse was for the Sturdy uses, a majority of whom were weak or neutral to Water (i..e Steelix, Skarmory).

It didn't work out well. Almost every move hit. I had four DTs up and some joker hits me with Sing, a move that already has a horrendous 55% accuracy. Poliwrath kept hitting me with Water Pulse with 3 DTs up, leading me to wonder whether Water-types moved broke through DT or something. And the AI techs against the lead Pokemon, so I was getting hit by repeated Rock Throws and Rock Slides. I stopped using it after a Donphan stomped all over me.

I haven't even tried it here because Stone Edge makes my heart stop. Better accuracy than RS and a high critical hit ratio? I'm sure Garchomp will have similar problems with a 4x Ice Weakness, a very common special attack.

EDIT: If leading with Tyranitar or Hippowodon, the AI will tech against them, not Garchomp.

I battled a team like this recently in a ladder match on shoddy. Can't remember who, but it annoyed me to no end. I've had my fair share of losses, but that one left a very bad taste in my mouth.

The hax Battle Tower will act like it's not even there, I swear. I tried a variant of this back in the Battle Frontier:

Articuno@Brightpowder
Docile Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd (this was before I retooled it, still broken now)
- Double Team
- Water Pulse
- Mind Reader
- Sheer Cold

The idea of this set was to DT and give Articuno some set-up time, with more survivability since it could had far better defenses than my Spore+Sub Sheer Cold Smeargle (and didn't have to rely on Quick Claw to work). Water Pulse was for the Sturdy uses, a majority of whom were weak or neutral to Water (i..e Steelix, Skarmory).

It didn't work out well. Almost every move hit. I had four DTs up and some joker hits me with Sing, a move that already has a horrendous 55% accuracy. Poliwrath kept hitting me with Water Pulse with 3 DTs up, leading me to wonder whether Water-types moved broke through DT or something. And the AI techs against the lead Pokemon, so I was getting hit by repeated Rock Throws and Rock Slides. I stopped using it after a Donphan stomped all over me.

I haven't even tried it here because Stone Edge makes my heart stop. Better accuracy than RS and a high critical hit ratio? I'm sure Garchomp will have similar problems with a 4x Ice Weakness, a very common special attack.
Actually, stone edge has 10 less accuracy.

And I know what mean about the battle frontier, the AI seem to get extreme hax.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, this strategy is usually frowned upon. It makes the game way more luck based than it should be. And it tends to make people angry at you, since your strategy revolves around them missing due to evasion uppers. The strategy itself is a pretty good idea, I am just saying it is generally looked down upon by others.

I remember reading a warstory where it was down to 1-1, and one player had a great advantage - it was like a ScarfChomp against a Butterfree or something with HP Ice, and then he used some attack that would've OHKOd, but it missed due to Bright Powder and then he got OHKOd.

My point is, it makes the game kind of haxy. Just the ability Sand/Snow Veil do as well (IMAWARIO's Gyarados missed 2 Ice Fangs on my Gliscor yesterday :0), but that's part of the game.

It'd definately be fun if you're the user, though.

I remember reading a warstory where it was down to 1-1, and one player had a great advantage - it was like a ScarfChomp against a Butterfree or something with HP Ice, and then he used some attack that would've OHKOd, but it missed due to Bright Powder and then he got OHKOd.
Are you thinking about the Me vs. nomargu46 war story? It was a Powderzone vs. a Gyarados in the end.

Garchomp can be annoying, as it can potentially sweep your team. I don't really see Gliscor going for a sweep, thought Cacturne possibly could.

It's funny though, seeing Garchomp users get mad when you don't miss, obviously letting on that they're running Sub+Brightpowder.

Guess a lot of you guys don't know how gay it is when ppl pull this crap on you. I know MoP used to love to use double team back in the nb days, and it always pissed me off.

Garchomp can be annoying, as it can potentially sweep your team. I don't really see Gliscor going for a sweep, thought Cacturne possibly could.

It's funny though, seeing Garchomp users get mad when you don't miss, obviously letting on that they're running Sub+Brightpowder.
I've seen that apply to an Aerial Ace attack. I was questioning him, why he was complaining about it. He replied and said the it is impossible for me to hit it, because of the Sand Veil + Bright Powder boost. I won that match 5-0.

I don't like the item but it can be pretty fun to use and hell to face. I've been swept at least 3 or 4 times in ladder because I couldn't hit chomp, so yeah it can REALLY frustrating. The 70% accuracy excuse kinda works but it forces you to play more carefully especially in ladder.

oh that's such an awesome new discovery why didn't anyone think of it before? oh wait they did.
this isn't really discussion worthy, especially because the team you suggest may have major flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)