Broaden My Horizons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the strategy pokedex on this site, but i don't want to limit myself onto this site and the moveset suggestions. Second opinions would be helpful. Are there any other sites(other than Serebii) that offer a strategy pokedex like here? Thanks for your time.

Check the "unique movesets and EV spreads" thread. They've got some pretty good ones. The Leppa/Recycle porygon2 stood out as a pretty cool one.

Smogon offers approximately 3 sets (min) for nearly every competitive/somewhat usable pokemon. In that respect they basically leave no decent set undiscovered (almost)

What more could you possibly want?

Smogon has a wide and useful coverage, even tough it somewhat lack in-game movesets.

But some important pokemon like Hippowdon and Meganium have only one set suggested, and most pokemon that are useful in ubers (like Blissey and Metagross) have no uber sets covered.

Unique movesets/EV spreads thread is great for this.

Or just go around on a bunch of sites (not Psypokes) and ask what they think of something you made up.

I suggest making your own sets. Just try building a team with nothing but a damage calculator to aid you, and then see how it does. If it fails miserably, try comparing it to the analysises and see where you deviated, and examine your matches to see what things made you lose. Try to fine tune your team building skills until you are able to build a workable team without needing to consult other sources, and then you can move to the point where you check the smogondex for Pokemon after you make the team, not before it.

One of the most important parts of getting better is being able to play the whole game by yourself, and that includes the half where you build your team. It really helps you appreciate the analysis as you can appreciate not only that the sets are effective but why they are effective and what the writers were thinking when they suggested them. It helps you see what parts of the sets are less essential and which moves to sub out for those "Other Options" which helps you use them to make a working team instead of six good Pokemon. It also makes the game far more fun as, when you win, you know you earned it as much as is possible for you to have earned it; your own talent was the only thing working on your side. I think this sort of thing is what would help you broaden your horizons, and it would make you much better at the game to boot!

Amazing Ampharos said what I wanted to. The analysis aren't really meant to be a "this is what you must use, you're limited to this", it's more of a building block. Your team is going to be better if you change things to fit your personal needs and play style. Alot of pokemon depend 100% on the rest of your team.

For example, Jirachi is fine, but you might need to change the moveset to fix your team. The analysis is a very small step to making your own; when I used Jirachi, I used Wish/Reflect/Ice Punch/Thunder with EVs in all 6 stats. You'll never see anyone recommend anything like that but that's what fit my team best, and I felt happier using it knowing that I was winning with my own creation.

Obviously some pokemon can't really be changed effectively, like Chain Chomp's moveset or CB Weavile's EV spread, but anything that can be used defensively will often need some change to fit your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)