Brutal Legend in the sun - An OU sun team

Wassup guys! well, I'm here to request your help for another rmt thread, now with a sun team circling around Mega Houndoom, since he looks SO METAL.

This team is a non legendary team, so please consider not to suggest legendaries pokemon please. Also if you're going to suggest a tutor move, make sure it can be passed by breeding (for example stealth rock and mamoswine)

Ok, here it is:

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp / Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The weather inducer, and usual lead, working as an early status inducer. Heat rock ensures the sun to be up for a long time. The evs are for making it the more bulkiest possible. Flamethrower is the preferred stab. Will o Wisp can be used to cripple physical leads, and roar can shuffle some stuff. Rest prolongs its life, and sleep talk lets it be useful while resting

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

A secondary lead and hazard setter. It can run either adamant or jolly nature, I'm not sure which one is best. The evs give him bulk combined with leftovers. Ice shard is an excellent revenge kill move. Stone edge nails flying and bug types (volcarona, talonflame). Earthquake is another excellent stab. Stealth rock is for, well, hazards.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

A superb late game sweeper. Choice band alongside adamant makes him hit like a truck, and the evs make him a bulky sweeper. Outrage blasts like a mofo and its only viable if there are no fairies left in the opponent's team, altough I would like a non locking move like dragon claw. Fire punch nails ferrothorn and scizor. Earthquake is a good coverage move, and Extremespeed is an awesome revenge killing move faster than brave bird, aqua jet and stuff.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild / Modest
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake /Sunny Day

Another sun abuser. Life orb and mild nature for max dmg. Evs are for speed and damage. Giga drain stab recovers a good amount of dmg. Sludge bomb kills fairies and has decent coverage. Hidden power fire for those steel types like scizor and ferro. Earthquake for electric and other stuff, while sunny day refreshes weather. The reason I didn't include growth is that since weather doesn't lasts more than 8 turns, it won't have much time to set up.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Roost

Can I say how much awesome this thing is? It got an awesome defense and bulk, huff, It's amazing. Impish and evs are for the bulk. Rocky helmet makes you pay for hitting it. Knock off screws with switch ins and stuff. Defog cleans the field from rocks and other hazards, which is essential for sun teams. Foul play punishes setup, and son, it hits hard. Roost makes the vulture recover his hp easily.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Solar Beam

Aww yisss, the core of the team. Why I like this dog? Because he looks so awesome. It just screams brutal in every aspect, and solar power turns him into a nuke. Flash fire pumps his fire moves when switching into fire attacks. Evs and nature makes him fast. Fire blast is the stab of choice, but man it misses when you need it the most. Dark pulse is a force to be reckoned with, since steel doesn't resist it now (but I have fire blast for that XD). HP ice anhiliates dragons and gliscors. Solar beam beats water and rock types.

Again this is a non legendary team, so please no legendary suggestions!

Now some problematic pokes:
Fairies in general
Fighting types
Special walls (chansey, blissey etc)

Thanks for your time, and have fun rating!

EDIT: Fixed some natures/evs

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi
I would suggest to change the moves for Houndoom mega
Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty plot
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Solar Beam

and change the moves for venasaur

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Toxic

Hi
I would suggest to change the moves for Houndoom mega
Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty plot
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Solar Beam

and change the moves for venasaur

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Toxic
thx for the suggestions!. Well, I'm not sure I would like Houndoom hanging around with solar beam and without fire blast/flamethrower when the sun goes off, and Houndoom has little time to nasty plot. Hidden power rock for venusaur seems interesting, but the only use I see for it is for volcarona and talonflame switch ins (cuz If talon is already on the field is pretty useless). Why toxic?

I suggest you replace Mega Houndoom with Mega Charizard Y. You're going to want a second Drought user. This helps you keep sun up for the entire game, which you obviously want. And unlike Ninetales, Char Y can recover with Roost. Don't use Hypnosis on Ninetales. The miss rate is too high. Rest is always an option on Ninetales. It's unexpected and allows you to bring out Ninetales again later for extra sun (you don't have leftovers and hazards + switching in on moves will hurt). If you have Stealth Rock on your Mamoswine, use Oblivious instead of Thick Fat. Oblivious ignores Taunt. Not sure why you're using Stealth Rock alongside a Defog user though, as Defog gets rid of all hazards on the field. Get rid of Sunny Day on Venusaur and replace it with Growth. Growth in the sun is a Swords Dance + a Nasty Plot in 1 turn. Also give it a Timid nature. Your team is horribly weak to Stealth Rocks, so I suggest using a Defog user that isn't weak to Stealth Rocks as well. Try Gliscor, since you seem to be using Mandibuzz as a physical wall. It has giant physical bulk, is faster, learns Roost + Defog + Knock Off, and it has double leftovers recovery with Poison Heal.

Good luck with the team! :D

Last edited:
I suggest you replace Mega Houndoom with Mega Charizard Y. You're going to want a second Drought user. This helps you keep sun up for the entire game, which you obviously want. And unlike Ninetales, Char Y can recover with Roost. Don't use Hypnosis on Ninetales. The miss rate is too high. Rest is always an option on Ninetales. It's unexpected and allows you to bring out Ninetales again later for extra sun (you don't have leftovers and hazards + switching in on moves will hurt). If you have Stealth Rock on your Mamoswine, use Oblivious instead of Thick Fat. Oblivious ignores Taunt. Not sure why you're using Stealth Rock alongside a Defog user though, as Defog gets rid of all hazards on the field. Get rid of Sunny Day on Venusaur and replace it with Growth. Growth in the sun is a Swords Dance + a Nasty Plot in 1 turn. Also give it a Timid nature. Your team is horribly weak to Stealth Rocks, so I suggest using a Defog user that isn't weak to Stealth Rocks as well. Try Gliscor, since you seem to be using Mandibuzz as a physical wall. It has giant physical bulk, is faster, learns Roost + Defog + Knock Off, and it has double leftovers recovery with Poison Heal.

Good luck with the team! :D
Thanks for the tips. Well, I got problems with some suggestions. First is that this team is centered on mega houndoom, so mega char y will make the team lose the point. I've tried growth on venusaur, but it's kinda hard to pull it off, since sun won't last forever and Venusaur is so so frail. Gliscor with defog is impossibe to get for me.

Now, rest ninetales is pretty decent. Gotta try rest/sleep talk/flamethrower/roar or WoW. Also oblivious mamo is cool, but he really doesn't mind to get taunted, and can retaliate with something on his arsenal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)