Brutalanda

Brutalanda

I’ve been trying a ton of random BW stuff out, and I found a team I want to improve because I think it’s cool. But it has some flaws so yea. I got to 1311+ with it before the reset and now I want to patch it up before I try and climb again. Weather is generic to the point where it is literally playing and using the same team as corresponding to the weather you chose. Since you chose a certain weather you pretty much have to have at least half of a team the same as the next kid. This makes stuff rather bland. I though screw weather, I’ll counter it instead and started with DDmence. Alot of people have forgotten about it in wake of Thundurus / Chomp / Excadrill. Then I found some awesome teammates that are really effective in the metagame and the team was born. I’ve made sure to pack counters to the common weather team and the counter’s counter (ie stuff like Toxicroak and Arcanine). Brutalanda is mence’s German name. It sounds cool like Smogon. I've made some major changes to the team, more rates appreciated

The Team

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roar

Role and Strategy

Heatran is the stealth rocker of the team. Tran patches up a bunch of stuff, mostly regarding Scizor and sun and even Excadrill if I’m desperate. When paired with Salamence I have a nice gameplan against sun teams. Flamethrower over fire blast because I’ve lost too many times due to misses. Hidden power ice + air balloon nets me the ability to check dragons in a pinch and rip Gliscor a new one. I run roar over earth power as I haven’t really found EP to be useful with all of the air ballooners out there and roar racks up nice damage against stuff, phaze out greedy Sigilyph, and scout switchins. Heatran is pretty much crucial to my team.

Changes

I’ve used specially defensive on spiking teams and it rocks. I’m not so sure if it will work here though. Lava plume might also be cool.

- - -

Skarmory @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Role and Strategy

I've changed Mew to Calm so having a better backup against sand was needed. Skarmory can wall common sand threats with ease while setting up several layers of spikes and phazing the other team down to size. Since Latias and Mew are specially defensive I'm running full impish so I only take around 30% from a +2 Excadrill rock slide. Brave bird is generally less useful this gen, taunt + speed might be good, but for now it is reliable against SD virizion. Skarm hasn't changed a bit this gen but it is still one of my favorites and is incredibly effective against sand.

Virizion @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Role and Strategy

SD Virizion is surprisingly good. With the right teammates it can really cut right through sand and rain teams. It actually gets the most sweeps in most of the time. Against sun it can still stone edge slower threats like Volcarona and Arcanine to oblivion (assuming it hits). Virizion has nice offensive synergy with mence. Scizor and Gliscor will find themselves trying to stop me and chances are they won’t stop vizzy and mence. Or even vizzy. I started with life orb and immediately switched it. It sucks and it kills Virizion’s bulk, switch ins to Rotom, everything. I ran lefties from the longest time but I’m finding lum to be better due to wisp Rotom, scalds, and random garbage that gets lucky and stops me. Nice option against stall lategame too. Excellent poke, molti underrated.

Changes

Item choice because of sand damage but solid otherwise. I'm using Skarmory now for spiking and checking sand threats.

- - -

Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Role and Strategy

Scarf Rotom is surprisingly good. It works with Scizor for some nice momentum and synergy, and stops stuff like Thundurus from sweeping me. Speaking of t-rus, I originally had one here but I did have an answer to fast stuff like Starmie so Rotom was a good replacement. Rotom gives me another shot at hurting rain teams since I can volt switch to Virizion on the Ferro and Scizor on the Lati. Trick is so useful against rampant Reuniclus and Sigilyph. Scarfers may not be as necessary as they were in gen 4 offense but I’d have trouble without Rotom covering my back.

Changes

Defensive Rotom is a possible, as is t-bolt, but this set is working well as is.

- - -

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Role and Strategy

Scizor works with Rotom to u-turn stuff like Reuniclus, pick stuff off like Terrakion with bullet punch, and trap stuff like Lati@s with pursuit. The momentum it has with Rotom can often chip a team down to the bone for mence to sweep away, since I don’t run LO on mence. This set has not changed much from gen 4, but I’m still using choice band because it can trap Lati@s rather than take heavy damage and force it to switch. 248 Hp alone was not cutting it against Latios so I moved some EVs to SpD. I rarely ever risk the superpower but some people actually leave Ferro in on Scizor and I can’t beat it 1v1 without it. U-turn doesn’t OHKO clus either (even with 252 Atk!) but luckily my next mon can handle it well. This set is also really effective against TR versions. Once again Scizor proves invaluable with its U-turning and trapping. No kidding.

Changes

SpD Jirachi is a possible but I prefer the U-turn and offense of Scizor. With Trus going soon there is little point to running Jirachi.

- - -

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam

Role and Strategy

WoW. Is all I have to say. This is probably the most effective set on the team. Mew is so tiny and pink yet it walls even the most overpowered physical sweepers like Excadrill, Cloyster, and Terrakion. Even CBzor and mixtar fail to do much (as long as wow doesn’t miss!!!) and I can just burn them and stall them out. Mew is great for burning Scizor so it can’t stop mence lategame. Oh and Mew pretty much walls / stalls stall teams. Taunt + wow + seismic toss will chip down those teams with minimal effort. Mew also beats CM clus w/o shadow ball but it is a painful process if they have lefties. Great poke.

Changes

Tried ice beam as advised by several raters, it works pretty well. Calm is better with Skarmory as well.

- - -

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 144 Hp / 112 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Roost

Role and Strategy

Defensive CM latias, my favorite set of all time from gen 4 before it was banned. Salamence wasn't as reliable, especially with its SR weakness and the popularity of really fast scarfers. Latias plays a similar sweeping role and can also counter sweep stuff like Calm mind Reuniclus and Virizion. Roar was OK but sub is the better option for blocking stuff like trick and status. I can also sub out Ferrothorn and Bronzong if they try to wall me lategame. Once they run out of gyro ball they can no longer hurt me and I can just setup in their faces. I needed a little boost in power since 4 spA can't really hurt much even after 2 boosts. This gives me a lefties number and some more SpA. It's great having both common counters lured in and burned by Mew, making them setup fodder as well. Latias works excellently with Mew for this reason. Roost > Recover because it's easier to type out.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Role and Strategy

Central sweeper on the team. It’s funny because most teams I build around a sweeper end up having something else take the spotlight and this is no exception. But mence still rocks this gen. Most of the time I can just say “Oh ok the last three are can’t beat mence, gg.” With 100 base speed the only common scarfer faster than me is Landlos. Lum berry lets me take status from things like Thundurus and Jellicent that rely on status to stop me. Life orb + Sr + SS wears mence down way to quickly anyway. Good ol mence, this set still sweeps like it use to; just wait until lategame when the rest of my team has worn them out with similar counters, DD on something like SpD Jirachi, and click outrage.

Changes

I gave DD Latios a go and it had the speed before boosting. Many DD sets are cool like DD + Draco meteor and DD + def EVs + roost. I needed a better counter to clus and rain. Latias just works so much better with mew and spikes support and has little problem beating past teams more effectively than Salamence.

- - -

Threatlists

Lot of threats now, so here’s a threatlist to help with rating.

Offensive Threats

Aerodactyl - Mew, Scizor, and Rotom.
Archeops - Mew, Scizor, and Rotom. ...
Azelf - Rotom can revenge, Scizor can from low health.
Bisharp - I think mence can set up on it, Heatran.
Breloom - Mence, Tran, Mew, Vizzy
Chandelure - Mence, Tran walls / roars it, Rotom
Cobalion - Rotom, Vizzy, Mew
Conkeldurr - Mence, Mew
Darmanitan - Mence, Rotom, Tran
Deoxys-S - Scizor, can be a problem depending on set.
Dragonite - Tran for the HP ice / Sr, Rotom / Zor revenge.
Druddigon - Mence, Tran, Rotom
Eelektross - Tran / Rotom I guess
Electivire - volt switch catcher is annoying lolz. Mew...
Emboar - Rotom, mence
Empoleon - Rotom
Espeon - Scizor
Escavalier - Rotom, Tran
Excadrill - Tran with balloon, Rotom unboosted, Mew
Garchomp - You will hax me no more.
Genesect - DW
Gengar - Scizor, Rotom revenges
Golurk - Rotom, Mew.
Gyarados - Rotom, mew.
Haxorus - Don’t give it the momentum. Mew, scizor, tran
Heatran - Mence, Rotom, Virizion revenges
Heracross - Mence
Hydreigon - Can’t switch into it, mence / zor revenges
Infernape - Mence, rotom, mew
Jirachi - Tran, Mence
Jolteon - Scizor BP, rotom revenge
Keldeo - luckily I don’t have to worry about you yet!
Kingdra - Scizor, Rotom, mew
Krookodile - Mew, Rotom
Kyurem - Scizor
Landorus - Rotom, Mew, Virizion
Latios - Scizor
Lilligant - Tran, Mence has lum
Lucario - Mence, Mew
Machamp - Mew
Magnezone - Mence. Stick to u-turn when I see preview.
Mamoswine - Mew, Rotom
Meloetta-S - nope
Meloetta-V - see above
Metagross - Rotom, Scizor, Mew
Mienshao - Mew, Rotom
Reuniclus - Scizor beats TR and weakens CM, Mew beats CM w/o Shadow ball. CM bold with shadow ball can beat me.
Roserade - Tran, mence has lum
Salamence - Scizor, Rotom
Sawsbuck - Mence intimidates, Scizor, Tran w/o jump kick.
Scizor - Tran, mew actually lures/ beats if wow hits.
Scrafty- Mew beats DDversions, rotom tricks BU, Virizion, mence. Strong just don’t underestimate and let it set up.
Seismitoad - Mew I guess
Serperior - nope
Shaymin - Scizor, Mence, Tran
Sigilyph - Rotom can trick, Heatran can phaze, Mew can beat 1 v 1. Mence can take burn, lum, then DD.
Smeargle - Mence with lum, scizor.
Starmie - Rotom, full Vizzy, or it sweeps me.
Terakion - Scizor, Mew, Rotom
Thundurus - Rotom, vizzy in a pinch. Bad news but it’ll be banned soon enough.
Togekiss - Rotom, mence with lum
Tornadus - Rotom, scizor
Tyranitar - Scizor, Vizzy, Mence, Mew beats sassy tar.
Venusaur - Tran, Scizor can finish
Victini - Mence, Tran
Virizion - Mew beats SD, scizor can revenge.
Volcarona - Mence and tran cover most of them.
Weavile - Scizor, tran
Zoroark - Hmm.

Alomomola - bulky water treatment. ie rotom / vizzy
Blissey - Vizzy, mence, zor, rotom can trick.
Bronzong - Rotom can wash it down, zor and tran.
Celebi - Tran, zor for defensive versions. NP sets will beat me so I’ll have to trick and then set up on the giga or someother unreliable strategy.
Chansey - See Blissey except physically bulkier and no SS to cut health.
Deoxys-D - Zor
Cofagrigus - mew can taunt wow it out. note to self: (copy and paste this)
Crustle - mew
Dusclops - mew can taunt wow it out.
Ferrothorn - mew can taunt wow it out, vizzy, mence
Forretress - mew can taunt wow it out
Garbodor - mew can taunt wow it out.
Gigalith - mew can taunt wow it out.
Gliscor - Rotom. Vizzy / mence weakin it. Mew beats 1v1 as long as they haven’t gotten an SD yet.
Hippowdon - mew can taunt wow it out, rotom
Jellicent - mew can taunt wow it out, rotom, vizzy
Latias - Scizor for the pursuit or it sweeps me!
Mandibuzz - mew can taunt wow it out.
Murkrow - rotom to trickbolt it.
Ninetales - mence to lead against it and get 2DDs, tran SR + roar to wall it, vizzy with stone edge.
Politoed - vizzy / rotom
Porygon2 - mew can taunt wow it out, zor.
Rotom-H - ??? vizzy for revenge, rotom, mence
Rotom-W - Vizzy
Scolipede - ???
Skarmory - mew can taunt wow it out, rotom
Snorlax - mew can taunt wow it out, zor, vizzy
Suicune - mew can taunt wow it out, vizzy, rotom
Swampert - mew can taunt wow it out, vizzy
Tentacruel - Annoying, rotom.
Vaporeon - rotom, vizzy, mew can taunt wow it out.
Whimsicott - real pain in the ass I don’t know what to do. It isn’t that common thankfully.
Xatu - rotom
Zapdos - heatran, ???

Thanks for reading - Eggbert

For Mew, you should run ice beam. I've been running the same set/ev spread and it lets you take down a variety of pokemon(most notably gliscor). I don't recommend roar on your heatran if you are running a sweeping set rather than a bulky 1. U should probably run hp ice, electric, grass or dragon pulse(i like hp grass)

change the color of rotoms name. it hurts to read. lol also change hydro pump to scald , even though does less damage, you still can burn which helps alot

For Mew, you should run ice beam. I've been running the same set/ev spread and it lets you take down a variety of pokemon(most notably gliscor). I don't recommend roar on your heatran if you are running a sweeping set rather than a bulky 1. U should probably run hp ice, electric, grass or dragon pulse(i like hp grass)
Ice beam sounds OK for Gliscor and the dragons but it compromises Mew's ability to beat Clus / Scizor / Tar effectively.

Try running max Special defense on mew. With WOW, you don't need all of the physical bulk.
Mew is made to counter physical threats like Terrakion, Excadrill, Gliscor, and even Scizor as well as to stallbreak. With calm I would not be able to beat them (excadrill can get past me with LO sometimes anyway).

change the color of rotoms name. it hurts to read. lol also change hydro pump to scald , even though does less damage, you still can burn which helps alot
yea it does...changed it. does rotom even learn scald

bumpy

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hello eggbert,

you should definitely go for ice beam over seismic toss with the ev spread 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spd calm mew. this is the standard spread for now, you can adjust the speed to your likings. the special defense is probably the most important here for taking hits specially. you can beat thundurus more easily with this spread as well. scizor and tyranitar are more or less nuisances even with seismic toss because will-o-wisp weakens their physical moves greatly. you are hardly getting hurt by standard tyranitar's crunch. if all else fails, you have virizon and heatran to deal with scizor and tyranitar if that's your main concern. you can also check latios and latias with hp fire since scizor won't always be a reliable check. ice beam is just more beneficial + specially defensive spread.

as for other options, try out will-o-wisp over roar on heatran to catch terrakion off guard. terrakion is a huge threat to your team, but you thankfully have soft checks to deal with it. overall gl!

How come every time you make a suggestion it's change a water move to scald, most of the time on a Pokémon that can't learn it?

I would actually like to suggest that you keep roar on Heatran, as I find he forces switches fairly often, and roaring someone off a switch is awesome for scouting and SR damage, and I think Mew has your WoW-ing covered.

you should definitely go for ice beam over seismic toss with the ev spread 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spd calm mew. this is the standard spread for now, you can adjust the speed to your likings. the special defense is probably the most important here for taking hits specially. you can beat thundurus more easily with this spread as well. scizor and tyranitar are more or less nuisances even with seismic toss because will-o-wisp weakens their physical moves greatly. you are hardly getting hurt by standard tyranitar's crunch. if all else fails, you have virizon and heatran to deal with scizor and tyranitar if that's your main concern. you can also check latios and latias with hp fire since scizor won't always be a reliable check. ice beam is just more beneficial + specially defensive spread.

as for other options, try out will-o-wisp over roar on heatran to catch terrakion off guard. terrakion is a huge threat to your team, but you thankfully have soft checks to deal with it. overall gl!
I would actually like to suggest that you keep roar on Heatran, as I find he forces switches fairly often, and roaring someone off a switch is awesome for scouting and SR damage, and I think Mew has your WoW-ing covered.
I did give ice beam and calm nature a shot from before and it's been working pretty well against Latios and Gliscor, especially since LO latios beats Scizor and mew can just softboiled off its draco meteor. I gave wow a go to but I decided to keep roar and just run lava plume. Once they see it they won't switch them in so easily.

Thanks for the comments everone.

I've made alot of changes to the team to make it more effective against common sand teams that were overwhelming Mew with Skarm > Virizion. Latias > Mence for reliability and letting me check and CM up against stuff and beat rain which has been annoying. I did find calm Mew to be more effective with Skarmory on the team and Ice beam helpful against Gliscor because poison heal and switching made it impossible to bring down before being critted or stall out. Not brutalanda anymore but oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)