Buffeted (5th Gen Sandstorm team)

BUFFETED

Hey guys this is my sandstorm team. The whole team is based around sweeping with my Dragon Dancing Tyranitar. A very underrated pokemon. This team is a more balanced team that aims at getting entry hazards up early. Wear the opponent down and remove threats so Tyranitar can sweep. Here's a closer look at the team.

Tyranitar @Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Ev's: 168 HP/32 Atk/56 Def/252 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)

Crunch
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch
Ice Punch

This is the beast of the team. After 2 dragon dances I can pretty much call good game. With his immense bulk dragon dances are very easy to pick up. The only way to clean an opponents team up is making sure any fighting-types dont switch in before I set up Dragon Dances. Which is actually easier than it sounds. Most opponents stay in thinking they can toxic stall or break me down, but then they get very surprised by the dragon dance. After 1 DDance he hits 332 speed which is usually enough to outspeed most fighting types. But this strategy works better with them just removed which Salamence can usually do. Heatran is probably the biggest threat seeing as I have no move to hit it. I used to have earthquake on this set until I found Gliscor can stay in and earthquake the hell out of me. SO I swapped it out for Ice punch. Fire punch and Crunch are for coverage.

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Ev's: 252 HP/72 Atk/184 Def
Impish (+Def, -SAtk)

Substitute
Earthquake
Protect
Toxic

This set doesnt need explaining. It checks fighting types that would rather rampage through my team and toxic stalls blissey. with its massive physical bulk it can stay in and sub and protect at will. Skarmory is a huge problem for this set, as is balloon Heatran. Good thing Salamence deals with both.

Gengar @Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
Ev's: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

Substitute
Trick
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

The most menacing and Trolly pokemon of all. Trick Black sludge gengar is just a menace. It utterly ruins any walls chance in a match considering very few walls are poison. The great thing is Gengar usually recieves leftovers so no harm was done. Substitue is obvious for allowing gengar to do his work. Two moves for Coverage. He is also the main special sweeper of the team which he does fairly well. He also carries a handy fighting immunity which this team severely needs.

Cloyster @Leftovers
Ability: Skill Link
Ev's: 248 HP/84 Def/176 SDef
Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)

Rapid Spin
Spikes
Icicle Spear
Surf

The must needed spinner of the team. He also sets up spikes which is extremely helpful. And he checks dragons very well and sub Gliscor with Icicle Spear. Surf is for coverage... or for heatran. With extra physical Bulk he is a godsend for the team. But the extra fighting weakness is not nice at all.

Blissey @Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Ev's: 184 HP/252 Def/72 Def
Bold (+Def, -Atk)

Seismic Toss
Wish
Toxic
Stealth Rock

The only real special bulk on this team Bar TTar. It wish passes, it sets up rocks, and it wears walls down. What more can you ask from a pink blob. Literally no special hit can even scratch it. Its not too shabby at taking physical hits either Bar close combat, drain punch,... HIm and Gliscor work in perfect harmony together sponging every thing.

Salamence @Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Ev's: 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe
Naive (+Spe, -SDef)

Draco Meteor
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake

The MVP of the team. This pokemon absolutely wrecks opponents. How can you handle 328 speed pokemon that literally OHKO's over half the metagame. You can't. He handles most threats to this team and checks fighting types with intimidate and flying type. Him and Gengar wear the opponent down enough until Tyranitar cleans them up. The only problem with this set is life orb and sandstorm really wear him down. If stealth Rocks are up he cant keep switching in. Cloyster has to spin out rocks at all costs.

This team reaches a good win ratio usually 7:3. But I know there are ways to improve it though. I've noticed anything that is fast and carries a physical fighting type move and an ice type move can potentially trash my whole team. Choice-Banded Weavile is a great example. Even gengar will get wrecked by night slash. brick break cleans TTar and Blissey and 2Hits Cloyster, while ice punch crushes Mence and Gliscor. Any suggestions to improve would be amazing. Please leave comments.

I understand the cloyster's role, but what about replacing him with Donphan? Every time cloyster comes out to use rapid spin, he is gonna take major damage from stealth rock. Donphan will resist the SR, also taking no damage from Sandstorm.

i agree with heinz, but maybe claydol. though a lack luster hp, it has solid bulk and levitate so it can switch in on spikes and toxic spikes with no damage or status

Those are both excellent points. And they can abuse the sandstorm. I like Claydols typing cuz it resists fighting. But then I'm weak to ice again

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't mean to offend you here, but this team is just bad. It looks like you didn't test this at all.

How can you handle 328 speed pokemon that literally OHKO's over half the metagame.
It's called Choice Scarf users? -_- Not to mention, Jolteon and Choice Scarf Rotom-W are both faster than Salamence and OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice. Everything on your team except Gliscor gets destroyed by Choice Scarf Terrakion. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with your Tyranitar set - Tyranitar is usually used as a sand team's special tank, and if you're going to use a DDTar, you should be using an EV spread more along the lines of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe. Not to mention, Stone Edge is practically a staple on DDTar due to its sheer power. Is there any real use of Trick + Black Sludge on Gengar? I understand TrickScarf, but Trick + Black Sludge is likely to backfire on you.

Now, here's some advice: Scrap this sandstorm team, make a new one, and actually test it. All of the teams I've made, even the semi-bad ones, have been tested. I understand this may be a lot to take in, but sometimes, the truth hurts.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
I'll give this team a good testing and get back to you on threats. One threat I immedately see is Mixed Infernape. Once Gengar goes down, it simply rips through your team. All in all, it's a solid team, and I'll leave you with this question. How do you counter Mixape?

that is true, but you do have the blissey and ttar switch in for the ice beam. idk i like the team very much on how you can have good protection coverage on switch ins

that is true, but you do have the blissey and ttar switch in for the ice beam. idk i like the team very much on how you can have good protection coverage on switch ins
He didn't specify what type of ice attacks he meant, but for special ice attacks, yes he can switch into to blissey but not for physical ice attacks, cause blissey's defense sucks

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey, Zachattack71399. Nice team.

Your team is weak to entry hazards like Stealth Rock, as Salamence and Cloyster often take a pounding from Stealth Rock upon switching in, and each time lose 25% of their health, making them less effective sweepers. Your team is also weak to Dragon spamming like Outrages and Draco Meteors, as you have no Pokemon who resist those Attacks. To fix this problem, I would recommend a Physically Defensive Forretress instead of Cloyster. Forretress provides invaluable Rapid Spin support to help your teammates, and prevents Salamence from losing 25% of its health by switching in if Stealth Rock is present on your side of the field. It also helps deal with Outrage users, as it can easily tank them with ease due to its massive 140 Defense stat. It also provides Spikes support, helping your sweepers take out opponents. Gyro Ball hits Dragon Dancers hard, while Volt Switch allows you to escape Magnezone. Leftovers grants recovery, while Sturdy prevents it from being OHKO'd at full health.

For some other changes, I think your team would benefit from a Mixed Attacker Tyranitar (see set below). Since Tyranitar will be forced to switch out a lot, Dragon Dance isn't too good of an option on long term, as Tyranitar's goal is to keep Sand alive as long as possible. Stealth Rock is the mandatory entry hazard, while Ice Beam and Fire Blast are for coverage, letting you nail Gliscor on the switch, and lets you beat Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. Pursuit allows you to trap a fleeing Latios or Starmie, effectively removing them from the game. Leftovers grants recovery. Since Tyranitar will be using Stealth Rock, go with Protect on Blissey. It lets the pink blob scout, and racks up Toxic damage inflicted to your opponent. You should also go with a 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD EV spread with a Bold Nature to tank physical hits with more ease. Finally, Gliscor should have 72 EVs in Speed to outspeed Adamant Breloom. It helps getting a Substitute up faster than the opponent to stall them out with Toxic in conjuction with Protect. Cool team, and good luck!

Forretress @ Leftovers | Sturdy
Relaxed Nature | 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Spikes | Rapid Spin | Gyro Ball | Volt Switch

Tyranitar @ Leftovers | Sand Stream
Sassy Nature | 252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 SpD
Stealth Rock | Pursuit | Fire Blast | Ice Beam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)