Bulky brawlers

Overview: This has been my most successful team to date, with a current (14-2) record and a ladder ranking of 1900! So why make an RMT? Well 1900 is good, but not great, and the team definitely has some struggles when it comes to offense. Additionally, you should never stop improving no matter what rank you are. I am all out of ideas on how to improve this team, any help is greatly appreciated. NOTE: some of my sets are rather strange, actually most of them are, but hey, it works. Anyway the main concept of this team is to create synergy amongst a bunch of bulky pokemon which balance out each others weaknesses while still having offensive capabilities to match. So far it has been working really well, but prediction is essential with this team, and I have been noticing several pokemon that really pose a threat.

Part one: The defensive trinity
This part of the team focuses mainly on maintaining a strong defense while still spotting offensive capabilities

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Curse
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

If I'm going to make a bulky team, Ferrothorn simply has to be part of the action. But what's this? Curse? Am I insane? Maybe a little bit, but curse actually works extremely well for 2 reasons. The first reason is it lowers speed while boosting attack to make Gyro Ball insanely powerful. The second reason is that the defense boost turns Ferrothorn from a wall into an unbreakable machine of pure destruction. Sorry, too dramatic? Anyway with great typing and curse in it's move pool Ferrothorn can not only defend from literally any physically offensive pokemon without fire but can also reap havoc on any fast mon that dares to cross it's path. However, it does have some typing disadvantages and it's Sdef is sub-standard, so the next pokemon in the trinity covers all of Ferrothorn's weaknesses.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Jellicent here is my main man. Seriously, it's always male, I simply just can't stand the female sprite with it's red lipstick and long eyelashes it just gives me the creeps. Anyway, Jelly belly's role is pretty obvious. Taking special attacks is one of His specialties, and with recover it almost becomes a joke. The ability to burn things with Will-o-wisp is also essential in this very physically offensive generation and the ghost typing makes anything without coverage basically a joke to Jellicent. He also acts as the counterpart to ferrothorn, covering it's fire weakness and fighting weakness as well as providing additional coverage with Ice beam and Scald creating perfect synergy.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Roar

Rounding off this trio is heatran, who covers not a lack in defense but a lack in offense. Primarily, the Fire coverage hits things like Ferrothorns and Scizors that Jelly/Ferro can't cover. Aditionally, while it may seem unusual at first, Ancient Power is incredibly useful in taking out Volcrona, Mega-Charizard-Y, and most importantly Talonflame. While Jellicent does check most of these pokemon already, Heatran straight up counters them. To finalize his moveset Hetran also holds Roar and Stealth Rocks for the obvious reason of breaking my opponents momentum.

Overall the combined qualities of these three pokemon make for a team of solid walls that can still pack a punch. Simply perfect for my team, I would rather keep this part of the team as is but I am totally open to suggestions on how to improve.

Part 2: the Dynamic duo
This part of the team focuses mostly on Offense while still being able to take a hit. Please note that this part of the team needs the most work.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Night Slash-Knock off

An offensive Gliscor isn't anything new, however most people tend to use him defensively. Just putting earthquake on Gli makes him kinda useless as it destroys a lot of potential, but instead of putting on ice fang, I put on Night slash. The reason being is that I just feel it provides better coverage. Jellicent no longer laugh at gliscors inability to hit them, and it really throws your opponent off gaurd when you OHKO their ghost type sweeper. The big issue with gliscor however is his inability to take special attacks, the solution is found within his partner in crime; Togekiss.

Togekiss @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SAtk / 184 SDef
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Aura Sphere

Togekiss basically does what Gliscor can't, and Gliscor does what Togekiss can't. While kiss can't handle electric attacks, Gliscor laughs at them. Where Gliscor fails to handle a scald, Togekiss brushes it off like a joke. Weakness policy is a rather odd choice as most would suggest, but I personally feel that Togekiss has enough defense to get away with being hit by a volt switch or an ice beam, but not enough offense to retaliate propely. Weakness Policy usually gets the job done when it comes to this but not always.

In general these two work well together, but I often find them requesting help from the defensive trinity to fully meet both their defensive and offensive needs. Is it a lack in defense? Do they need more offense? Is it speed that causes a problem? I'm really not sure on this one.

Part three: The wrap up
The point of this part of the team is to provide for the rather lacking offense with a single pokemon

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch-Close combat
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

What is this team lacking? Raw physical power. There has to be someone to do all the dirty work, and I can't expect to win just by taking hits. Lucario with his priority Extreme Speed and overall pretty decent coverage provides this and more. Sword dance ensures I will be doing damage and Lucario's defenses while not great are just enough to pass him off as being "bulky." Drain Punch adds to this idea of bulky because in the least he is healing instead of However, I feel like when it comes to mega pokemon, maybe I don't even need one? Or is Lucario not meeting his full potential? I'm not sure, but for now, I am sticking with Lucario until something better comes along.
The reserve team:

Dragonite- I have tried to put Dragonite on my team instead of Lucario but it just didn't provide the coverage I needed. I then tried to replace togekiss but ended up with the same problem. I considerd replacing Gliscor, but then I would have 2 pokemon weak to Stealth rocks with no spinner. I would like to include Dnite but I just don't see an opening on the current team.

Potential Threats:

Entry Hazards/Skarmory- This is a given. I have no spinner and my pokemon aren't totally protected from any hazard. I don't really see a spinner/defogger as essential however and I wouldn't know which one to use anyway. Skarmory is the most noticeably threatening pokemon with the ability to lay out hazards because of it's ability to use whirlwind, usually I can kill it, but not without it setting up Rocks or Spikes first. It becomes especially threatening if I lose Heatran.

Reniclues- Did I spell it right? Anyway, this guy is really good at stalling my team, Gliscor is the only one that can counter it and even then it usually takes severe damage. It's been really close every time I face a team with this guy on it but I have no idea how to counter it.

Last look: The team is pretty solid, but I am only at 1900 on the ladder and all out of ideas on how to fix what I have. Has the team already reached it's peak? Any help is appreciated. Thanks :D

Last edited:
On Gliscor go with Knock Off over Night Slash. It has a 97.5 base power when the opponent is holding an item and it removes the item in the process. It hits Megas and pokemon without an item at 65 base power which is only slightly lower than night slash anyway.

Also on Lucario I would definitely use Close Combat over Drain Punch. With adaptability it reaches a 240 base power while drain punch is only 150. Although drain punch does regain health, Lucario's main job is sweeping (occasionally wall breaking or revenge killing too) and the damage output is just too significant to pass up. High Jump Kick is a slightly more powerful option over close combat if you don't like the defense drop, however it's accuracy is shaky and when it misses it basically kills you.

Finally this is not as huge of a deal but I'd go with Justified over Steadfast, the attack boost is more beneficial over the speed boost when Lucario is already pretty fast (when mega evolved) and has priority.

If you want to replace either Gliscor or Lucario with Dragonite I'd go with a Dragon Dance Dragonite to take their place as a set up sweeper. Probably something like this:

Dragonite @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch / Earthquake

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)